Out now: Benefit Smokin’ Eyes Sexy Eye & Brow Makeover Kit

Post image for Out now: Benefit Smokin’ Eyes Sexy Eye & Brow Makeover Kit

What it is: All you need for evening eyes.

What it does: Last week, I had to get my makeup done for a work-related photo. (It was shot by a real photographer and everything—fancy!) There was budget for a makeup artist too, so I naturally called on my friend Janine (a makeup artist and fellow beauty writer and blogger) to give me the pro treatment.

I wanted to look like this, so she smoked up my eyes like nobody’s business. (Also because professional lighting requires a heavy hand with makeup… it washes out your features so you need A LOT.) During the shoot, I was more than a little awkward doing the poses—why didn’t I study America’s Next Top Model beforehand? But at least my makeup made me feel like a supermodel.

Anyway, it got me thinking, why don’t I make more of an effort to do this myself sometime? (I know the answer—I prefer sleep to makeup in the mornings.) But then I came across this new little kit from Benefit. You don’t have to be a Janine—or have tons of time—to get gorgeous smoky eyes; this contains step-by-step, no-fail instructions. (Honestly, why don’t all compacts come with those?) It also has every product you need: Three shadows, a double-sided brush, liner and eye brightening cream. You can even do your brows too, thanks to brow wax and miniature tweezers.

Priced at $42. Available at Holt Renfrew on Bloor St. in Toronto and Murale, Sephora and Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutiques across Canada.

Janine
Wednesday, May 20/2009 at 5:59 pm

This is one of my favourites too! I love anything with clear instructions on how to get the look in a few simple moves; this one also takes the mystery out of a look that seems much more complicated than it really is. You can do sultry, smokey hottie all by yourself!

Janine
Wednesday, May 20/2009 at 6:00 pm

And thanks for the links — I meant to say so in the previous comment but forgot with all my gushing over the palette. Erk.

Wednesday, May 20/2009 at 6:23 pm

I hope so! Like I said, I didn’t want to wash my face on Friday night after you smoked me up… :-)

PS – Is it only Benefit and Jemma Kidd that offer instructions? Seems so strange that more beauty companies do not jump on this bandwagon. Multi-coloured palettes are scary! People need help!

Jennifer
Friday, May 22/2009 at 2:21 pm

Can’t wait to see the pics!

Friday, May 22/2009 at 5:37 pm

I’m actually barely recognizable. It’s the hair – pretty wild and crazy!

Janine
Sunday, May 24/2009 at 3:14 pm

Actually, CARGO has great instructions in their limited-edition Green Goddess palette, which I think may already be off Sephora shelves, unfortunately. But one of their palettes is embossed with where you need to put the colour, a highlight-lid-crease-liner kind of thing. Maybelline does that for some of their eyeshadow quads too, Physicians Formula has instructions on the packaging of their Shimmer Strip eyeshadow palettes, and Carmindy’s Sally Hansen line (only available in the U.S.) comes with a little mylar overlay that tells you where to put which shadow. Oh, then there’s Stila, with that little eye shadow kit (from a few seasons back) that not only has art-rendered instructions, but nifty audio instructions too.