Disturbing new trend: Man-makeup

Post image for Disturbing new trend: Man-makeup

I was at not one but TWO beauty events recently where man-makeup was touted as a “hot new trend.” (Although one of the companies did say that men are still shy about making makeup purchases. Ya think?)

Still, the trend has already materialized in some higher-end lines. Photo here’s from a YSL men’s concealer launch in the UK last fall. And Jean-Paul Gaultier launched a men’s makeup line called Monsieur last year. Is it only a matter of time before this trickles down to the mainstream? Eek!

Thinking back, it’s been a slippery slope. We all thought a little man-moisturizer was harmless, right? It was only fair for guys to step up their grooming routines in light of how much time we ladies spend buffing, tweezing and styling…. Right?

Well, no. I take it all back. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a world where my guy is “borrowing” my eyeliner (guyliner) or sporting more mascara (manscara) than I am. You?

aliza
Thursday, March 24/2011 at 7:24 pm

Lol, i know its hard to digest the idea of men wearing makeup for some but i dont care, let them do what they want. Your article sounded a little sexist to me, almost reminds of the time when a man would say to his friends “I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a world where my girl is borrowing my pants, or even wearing pants, eek” Or here’s another one ” I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a world where my girl is going to a university to get the education only meant for men, they should stay in a kitchen where they belong” If you think its normal for you to take 2 hours to buff ur face, i dont see why its such an issue if a man is doing the same thing.

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 5:29 pm

Naw, I just meant I don’t want to DATE a guy who is doing these things! :-)

Evan
Thursday, November 15/2012 at 8:04 pm

This is such a stupid, sexist, backwards article. Sack the writer.

hh317
Tuesday, April 26/2011 at 2:35 am

i agree, you’re supporting misogyny and degrading women. get over yourself.

if a man wants to wear make-up, let him be. makeup only enhances features–its not like he’s gonna suddenly grow boobs from it.

i think he looks beautiful.

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 5:29 pm

See above!

Laura Eliza
Friday, October 7/2011 at 1:24 am

I agree with you… I wouldn’t want my man to wear make-up!

Sarah
Wednesday, January 16/2013 at 4:12 pm

I don’t think I could be attracted to a guy who wears eyeliner or mascara buuut I do appreciate when guys take care of their skin. Concealer and tinted moisturizers may work on men if they are done well and don’t look like makeup. I do have a weakness for guys that fall between being a manly man and a pretty boy. I won’t knock it ’til I see it ;-)

Julius Eckensberger
Thursday, January 17/2013 at 8:22 pm

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read. Who ever said that makeup was for women? The person who wrote this…if they had ever studied makeup and its origins would know that men wore makeup before women. Why can women FAKE having good skin, no dark circles, fuller brows, longer lashes, a more bronzed skin but men are told they are to feminine if they choose to even out their skintone, cover dark circles, fill in their brows, tint their lashes or apply bronzer?????