Liquid foundation I actually like: Physicians Formula Organic Wear Liquid Foundation SPF 15

Physicians Formula Organic Wear Liquid Foundation SPF 15

Until approximately last Thursday afternoon, I’d never met a liquid foundation I actually liked.

We liquid foundation-haters are a small, but vocal, minority—and if you’re one of us, you already know the drill: it makes your skin greasy, smells funny and feels like you’re putting a thick, cakey, pore-clogging mask all over your face.

So I still think all of that’s true for most foundations out there—but last week, I found one I actually want to rave about.

(I know, I’m as surprised as you are.)

It’s Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin Liquid Foundation, and it’s awesome. Here is why:

1. It smells like fresh, clean lavender instead of some not-of-this-earth floral concoction.

2. It provides just enough coverage to make it worth your while (unlike, say, tinted moisturizers—hello?) but it’s not cakey AT ALL.

3. The colour (I’m using Creamy Beige Organics) is super natural-looking and somehow, without having any detectable shimmery bits, gives my complexion a bit of a glow.

4. It’s so non-greasy you actually have to work quickly to blend it all before it dries. I’ve been using my fingers, but a sponge would actually work best.

5. It has SPF 15, so you don’t have to layer on sunscreen before you apply it.

6. Best of all—it doesn’t make me feel like I’m clogging my pores with junk. The formula is free of the following: harsh chemicals, synthetic preservatives, parabens, GMOs, synthetic colours and synthetic fragrances.

Priced at $21.99. Available at mass-market retailers and drugstores across Canada or online at Well.ca.

Lesa
Monday, July 6/2009 at 6:50 pm

Ok, I’m officially intrigued. Are the sunscreen ingredients natural too?

Tuesday, July 7/2009 at 9:35 am

Yup – the sunscreen is titanium dioxide.

Ellen Mirza
Tuesday, July 7/2009 at 1:10 am

Ooh, I am going to have to try this!

Ali de Bold
Tuesday, July 7/2009 at 12:23 pm

This does sound fabulous!

Janine
Wednesday, July 8/2009 at 5:15 am

I rarely wear foundation because I’ll need a primer for it to stay on for the whole day. I quite like the Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer because its texture works nicely for my oily skin, but now I want to try this stuff — I like the quick-dry idea and natural SPF.

Wednesday, July 8/2009 at 7:05 am

If you guys try it please let me know how you like it!

Kandyce
Monday, November 9/2009 at 9:27 pm

I just bought this today, after using Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50™ Wrinkle Therapy Foundation, and not being able to find and buy it anymore for some strange reason, I decided to try something else only because I had no choice. For the price, it sure does come in a tiny tiny bottle!

Anyway, I noticed on the box there’s a sticker that says “This product contains silver and/or silver salts; avoid contact with broken or abraded skin”, and checked the ingredients on the bottom only to discover it has colloidal silver listed as the last one. Wikipedia then informed me that colloidal silver has been linked to argyria, when exposed over a long period of time. Not sure what to make of applying this foundation on my face now! And I know silver is a naturally occurring element, and being the last ingredient on the list tells me there’s probably a very small amount in the foundation, but I still can’t get the idea of my skin turning blue after using this product out of my head!

Tuesday, November 10/2009 at 2:11 pm

Hi Kandyce! Very interesting… I don’t think I ever saw that sticker as my sample was sent directly from the company. I’m going to ask them more about this silver/silver salts issue. I’ve never heard of this before so you’ve got me stumped!

Lita
Wednesday, November 18/2009 at 3:59 pm

Hi Kandyce,

Thanks for the tip. Like you, I cant find the Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50™ Wrinkle Therapy Foundation here in Michigan either. Personally I love this foundation. I wonder what is the recommended replacement for it being that I can no longer find it….I am 45 and this foundation made my face dewy and so so so smooth.

Friday, November 20/2009 at 2:58 pm

Got some answers for you guys:

1) Regarding the silver/silver salts – this is from Physicians Formula’s R&D dept:

“There is less than 4 one thousandths of a gram of silver in our Organic Wear Foundation, and it is a natural preservative. We are however, going to replace it with a plant derived preservative going forward, since there is some negative perception of colloidal silver. The Warning is only required in Canada – the FDA does not require anything similar in the US, so they apparently do not feel this is a concern.”

2) Regarding the Physicians Formula CoverToxTen50™ Wrinkle Therapy Foundation:

Yes, it is discontinued. But there is a CoverTox powder that Physicians Formula’s publicist tells me is similar:

I hope that helps, ladies!

Stina
Sunday, September 5/2010 at 9:41 am

I have worn organic mineral powder foundation for years and am considering this P.F. foundation. I like that the company is changing the silver…any idea as to when that will be available? Also, I can not find a color chart any where… what is the lightest foundation color and than the next color up from there? Thanks!

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 3:43 pm

Hi Stina – I’m contacting the company to find out for you!

Misty
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 1:31 am

I’m also interested in the shades, as it looks like I’m going to have to order online. I usually use a shade a couple steps up from the lightest in most brands. (Like a natural beige in Maybelline pressed powder.) I will be using this primarily as an under eye concealer (can’t find an affordable concealer that is also as safe). Please keep us updated if you hear anything. Thanks! :)

Monday, September 20/2010 at 3:24 pm

Hi Stina – finally heard back and yes, the silver has now been removed. No word on the colour chart though… I’m asking again. Stay tuned.

Stina
Saturday, September 18/2010 at 10:51 am

Ok, I ordered the Ivory which is the lightest shade in the P.F.Organic wear foundation as I am fair. I am most commonly the lightest or second to lightest color in any line… not the case here. The Ivory is almost white, way to light for me (unusual). I want to love this product for the price and decent ingredients but I can not say I do. It is hard to work… dries on the spot. It becomes almost powdery and unspreadable…bummer. Also, I am a stylist and make-up artist. I am going to try another liquid organic foundation I discovered on Ebay and hope for better results, I found it at this store… http://stores.ebay.com/joellecosmetics

Monday, September 20/2010 at 3:28 pm

Oops – just saw that you had already ordered. I can’t speak for the Ivory – the shade I have is Creamy Beige (and I’m quite fair – if you check out any of the videos/photos on this site you can see my skin tone). Just looking at their list of colours, this one is #3 in terms of lightness… kind of surprising as I’m usually one of the very lightest shades. So I can only imagine how ghostly the Ivory must be! Yikes. Hope you are able to return.

I agree about the spreadability, but for me this was a bonus as I hate anything too creamy on my skin. This dries down very fast to a nice “skin” finish where you don’t feel like you’re wearing anything at all.

Melissa Brazier
Wednesday, September 22/2010 at 10:53 am

Hey Michelle,

Hope things are well :) My mom, who is in her 60s, is looking for a good liquid foundation. I gave her a few I think would work well, but was wondering if you had any suggestions? Looking for something in the mid-level price range. Let me know!

Melissa Brazier

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:09 am

Hey Melissa! How are you? Just answered your q in yesterday’s post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/30/reader-question-can-you-recommend-a-good-liquid-foundation/

I hope there are some good options in there (don’t forget to read the comments as well!)

Mercedes
Sunday, February 6/2011 at 9:54 pm

Just bought this foundation in the Classic Ivory shade and I must say I absolutely love this product! I’ve been looking for a new foundation after my BB Cream ran out and I was worried I wouldn’t find an affordable foundation for my pale skin (I usually resort to expensive Asian brands). I’m so glad I found this – it’s super light, non-greasy, and feels so natural.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:12 pm

Yay! Glad to hear you like it as much as I do!

Emily
Monday, April 4/2011 at 4:59 pm

Has anyone been able to find this product in a store in Toronto? I have called around to a few places but can only find the tinted moisturizer….

Thanks!

Mercedes
Monday, April 4/2011 at 10:13 pm

You can buy it in Walmart or Shoppers Drugmart, just look the Physicians Formula part of the cosmetics aisle.

Emily
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 3:36 pm

I have searched high and low for this product and cannot find it anywhere ! Only the tinted moisturizer :( Whyyyyy

Mercedes
Thursday, April 7/2011 at 4:42 pm

I bought mine in the Walmart located on Kennedy Road and Sheppard Avenue East in Scarborough.

Thursday, April 7/2011 at 7:27 pm

Have you seen the list of stores that carry it? http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-ca/staticpage/store-locators.html
I’d maybe try one of the less busy locations…..

Kristin Johnson
Wednesday, May 25/2011 at 7:39 pm

Hi! I just bought this foundation as I have been wanting to find something natural that was also affordable. But I also noticed the colloidal silver listed in the ingredients. You said that they had told you they were removing it from the ingredients. Is that just in Canada? I live in the U.S. Thanks!

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:04 pm

You know what, I never did hear back from the PR on that – but I think since it’s a US company they probably removed it from both the Canadian and the US versions. (Can’t imagine little ol’ Canada would warrant a special change just for itself!)
Their customer hotline is 1-800-227-0333 if you wanted to try that route to doublecheck…