First look: Versace Spring ’10

Ever had a conversation with yourself that sounded kinda like this:

“Self, that lavender shade in my eyeshadow palette sure looks pretty! But no—I can’t wear that, are you crazy? I’d look ridiculous. Like a clown! No, that’s why I always stick to [sigh] beige.”

No? Okay, maybe that was just me in my pre-beauty editor days. Not that I wear much colour now. In fact, yesterday I had a deskside and got asked—AGAIN—why beauty editors never wear makeup. And it’s true: they (we) don’t. The reason, I think, has more to do with sheer laziness than anything else. (Remember, magazines are staffed almost entirely with females and gay men, so there’s not a great deal of incentive to get dolled up everyday.)

BUT! If we DID want to execute coloured eyeshadow, you can bet your B-cups we’d know how to do it! (See, employers might not value editing and writing skills much anymore—as evidenced by the magazines folding left, right and centre these days—but at least I can say I learned SOMETHING from hanging around enough photo shoots and makeup artists.)

So. These purple eyes at Versace are a just-about-perfect version of coloured shadow. Forget the sheer application and just sweeping it on the top lid only—that look, to me, is a little too play-it-safe and out of date. No, you want to use it almost like a liner, rimming both the upper AND lower lash lines. Finish with lots and lots of mascara, blush and a pretty clear gloss.

Photo: Style.com

yulanda
Tuesday, October 6/2009 at 9:16 am

Heh, I noticed that the ladies in the beauty department never seemed to wear make-up when I was an intern at a magazine. :)

Allison
Tuesday, October 6/2009 at 10:36 am

Love this look. Don’t think I could ever pull it off, or master it, but she looks beautiful!

oneof365
Tuesday, October 6/2009 at 2:54 pm

I think what makes this look work–and all of the wonderful colors and artistic feats of the make-up artists work is the fact that these girls have dewy, glowing skin. I have a wrinkled forehead, a few spots and my skin is not moist and like a pre-pubescent teens. What is their secret!!!! Everything looks good on good skin. xoxoxoxo

Tuesday, October 6/2009 at 3:37 pm

Oh I TOTALLY agree, Oneof365! I was thinking I should mention that. You can’t do crazy colours if you have blotchiness or zits, etc. These girls have skin to die for. I read something the other day about how some makeup artists treat the models with a super-hydrating face mask to plump up their skin before makeup application. So that probably helps.

Janine
Tuesday, October 6/2009 at 10:01 pm

Adore, adore, adore. Adore. I adore this pretty, pretty makeup. I’m going to swipe this photo and make an eye-colour + makeup point. Gorgeous for green, grey, hazel and pale blue eyes. For brown eyes, too, actually. I love how not lining the inner rims keeps it young and fresh, out of the smoky-eye realm. And that’s one of my favourite lip looks. Look-again beauty.

Have I mentioned before that I’m really enjoying this first-look series you’re doing?

Oneof365 is right, though — perfect skin is as much a part of the look as the eye shadow colour. On account I’m not a collagen-rich teen, I’m going to need about three weeks of sleep, nothing but salmon, dark leafy veggies, green tea and good-skin supplements from now until death, and regular workouts to get even close. Plus foundation. Erk.

Wednesday, October 7/2009 at 9:56 am

Thanks J! And yep – the skin. (sigh) I wish it was as easy to test skincare products as it is with makeup.