It’s safe to say that country music has truly crossed over. But what about adding a dash of Nashville style to your beauty regimen?
While I’d never suggest you adopt a Dolly Parton-esque get-up, a nod to country glamour never hurt anyone…. especially in the lead-up to the holidays. If you’re ever going to get away with big hair, pouty lips and loooooong lashes, it’s this month. Right?
Our best beauty icon for this look is the always gorgeous Faith Hill—can you believe this woman is 42? There’s a lesson here: she really doesn’t ever stray from what works (fresh skin, blonde waves, mid-length hair and lots of blush). In the younger set, Taylor Swift plays it a little bit country and a little bit rock ‘n roll, with some seriously covetable blonde curls setting off her porcelain skin. (Much preferable to Carrie Underwood, who I find a tad blonderexic and over-tanned.)
Here’s what you’ll need to channel the glammed-up country look:
1. Givenchy Le Prisme Visage Compact Face Powder Quartet, $49: If the cameras are always on you, it’s understandable you’d want the most flattering, light-reflecting face powder. This one was first introduced 20 years ago and recently reformulated for a smoother, more hydrating texture. Use the colours separately or swirl them together with a big, fluffy brush. Available in six shades and sold exclusively at Sephora stores across Canada.
2. Faith Hill Parfums Eau de Toilette, $35 for 30 mL: You don’t have to be a Faith Hill fan to like this scent. It’s a light, non-offensive and very affordably-priced option—you really can’t go wrong. The notes include crisp pear, neroli, pink peony, jasmine, gardenia, musk and vetiver. I love the simple glass bottle with the pretty black bow. Available at drug stores and mass retailers across Canada.
3. Kérastase Reflection Chroma Thermique Thermo-Polishing Repairing Care: Any celeb in the public eye has to have perfect hair. And if you’re a country music star, that means one thing: the bigger, the better. Enter this new product, which is specifically designed to repair damage from the daily use of blow-dryers, straightening and curling irons. Available at select salons across Canada.
4. Clarins Joli Rouge Lipstick, $27: No country star would be caught dead without her signature pink lips. This creamy formulation adds a hit of intense colour. Look for the Palazzo d’Oro Christmas version, which is a gold/silver duo that can be worn alone or over lipstick for extra glam. Available at select Bay, Sears, Holt Renfrew, Ogilvy and Murale stores across Canada.
5. CoverGirl LashBlast Length Mascara: If you don’t want to go all out with false lashes, at least go for a mascara like this one. As the name implies, it’s all about length. Nylon technology makes it possible to stretch the look of lashes by up to 80 percent. Impressive! Available at drugstores and mass-market retailers across Canada.
6. Philips SalonStraight Sonic Straightener, $99: Even though this tool is technically for straightening, it’s rare that we see Faith or Taylor without their signature waves. So I’m suggesting you use it to get gorgeous dropped-out curls. It’s super easy—check this post and video tutorial if you need help. Visit philips.ca for locations.