When it comes to beauty products, my mom is incredibly spoiled. Anti-aging products probably account for more than 60 percent of what lands on my desk... and since the majority of them are simply too rich for my skin, guess who acts as my go-to tester?
Yup, my mother is a lucky lady. Once I became a beauty editor, I slowly began weaning her off her lifelong beauty regimens (goodbye, Clinique 3-step) and on to more luxurious and/or high-tech lines like Chanel, Sisley and Guerlain. And now that I've created full-blown addictions to certain favourite products, she's never going to let me get another job!
But I digress. For today's post, I've collected a number of products that would be perfect for ANY mom—including mine. So if you're still looking for the perfect present, read on:
1. L'Occitane Sweet Cherry Body Cream ($48): Who doesn't love L'Occitane? There's something so lovely and authentically French about this line, and they have the absolute BEST seasonal offerings I've seen. Just gorgeous packaging that you'll want to leave out on your counters. This luxe body cream contains sweet almond oil and pure cherry extract straight from Provence (so you don't get that sickly-sweet, fake scent that's all too common in seasonal products). Expect the same wonderful textures that we've come to know and love from L'Occitane. At L'Occitane stores across Canada or order online at loccitane.ca.
2. Chanel Précision Sublimage Essential Regenerating Cream: So let's say you've got big bucks to spend—how about $375—and you want to really spoil your mom. Could it be anything but Chanel? Of course not. Nothing can describe the joy of opening a box with those interlocking Cs. Nothing! Assuming your mom is 50+, the line I'd check out is Sublimage. It's their newest anti-aging range, promising to restore firmness, radiance and hydration while evening out skin tone. It also does the dishes. At Chanel beauty counters across Canada.
3. Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Honey & Coriander Rejuvenating Hand Remedy ($24.95): If there's one thing Crabtree & Evelyn excels at (besides the wonderful quaint English country vibe), it's HAND CREAMS. Specifically, they're experts in something called a "hand ritual," which includes cleansing with a gentle scrub, moisturizing and then layering in treatment products to fight dryness or aging. This Hand Remedy falls in the latter camp—it contains peptides to plump the skin and sugar and pea extracts to even skin tone. The scent is a mouthwatering citrus. See crabtree-evelyn.com for stores or to order online.
4. You Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz: I love this book because it really underlines that beauty starts with good health. (We tend to forget that when faced with the latest pretty lip gloss or eyeshadow palette.) There's good advice in here for looking, feeling and BEING more beautiful. Which reminds me... I need to re-read my copy! At Amazon.ca.
5. Bella Pella Silver Fir Citrus Bath Salts: I received a sample of the soap version of this scent back in the summer—and used it up immediately, so taken was I by the authentic "tree" scent. The salts are of the Dead Sea variety, and that's essential silver fir oil (did you know such thing existed?) lending it the addictive scent. Bonus: Bella Pella is a Canadian (Montreal-based) company. Fashion's beauty director is a fan too. Order online at bellapella.com.
6. Guerlain Rouge G Lipstick ($48): I've written before about the objet d'art that is Guerlain's newest lipstick, and I just had to include it here. I don't know about yours, but my mom still loves the idea of lipstick—as much as it's taken a back seat lately to glosses. This one is perfection: the most genius bullet-like case that, with a click of a button, opens up to a handy little mirror. At Guerlain Boutiques & Institutes in Toronto and Montreal and Holt Renfrew and Ogilvy stores across Canada.
7. Linden Leaves Aromatherapy Synergy Body Oil in Memories ($39.80): Although I've yet to sample the contents, this bottle of body oil wins the prize for the most amazing feat of packaging: just how DID they suspend real roses in there? No matter, it looks gorgeous—and because this line is based on aromatherapy, it'll give your mom additional sensory benefits in addition to moisturizing dry skin. Order online at lindenleaves.com.