Buying for the Makeup Junkie (whether she's your friend or family member) is both easy and hard:
- Easy, because there are just so many darned cute things in the shops right now... you're guaranteed to find AT LEAST 36 different options she'll go crazy for.
- Hard, because you'll ALSO want to buy them for yourself.
Un petit problème, non?
That's why I'm presenting today's gift options with a warning: shop for them at your own risk! Here's the scoop:
1. Tsumori Chisato for Shu Uemura Planet Cat Palette ($85, Limited Edition): Okay, I'll say it: I'm a cat person. (If you met our cat, you'd understand. Trust.) And one little-known fact is that cat people kinda sorta like things adorned with cats... like this Marc by Marc Jacobs bag I almost bought the other week. And, of course, this limited edition cat palette by Japanese designer Tsumori Chisato. Of course, the other thing that makes it fabulous is that it's Shu Uemura—a favourite of any makeup aficionado—and that it contains a LOT of makeup in one compact space. (Specifically, three eyeshadows, one cream eyeliner, one cream highlighter, one blush and two dual-ended applicators.) At Holt Renfrew stores across Canada.
2. Allure: Confessions of a Beauty Editor by Linda Wells: I love Allure magazine for those handy little beauty tidbits that you always pick up—like how to hold the curl in your eyelashes or the proper way to apply under-eye concealer—and this book is chock-full of 'em. Consider it an essential for any budding beauty editor's bookshelf. At Amazon.ca.
3. Sephora Flashy Liner Waterproof Gift Set ($26): As I've mentioned before, I consider waterproof eyeliner a must-have for its budge-proofing abilities. And so should your beloved Makeup Junkie, whoever she is. This set offers great value—seven miniature pencils in a full colour spectrum (silver, mauve, copper, brown, blue, green and black). At Sephora stores across Canada.
4. Tarte Crown Jewels Lipgloss Multi-Gift Set ($51): I'm a BIG fan of Tarte—I think their eco chic concept is absolutely spot on. And I'm loving this lip gloss set. It actually can be split up into three separate sets (of five lip glosses each) or you can gift the entire thing—up to you. The glosses are divided into three varieties: "Glittering Green Goddesses," "Dazzling Divas" and "Twinkling Trendsetters." All formulated without parabens, phthalates, sulfates, GMOs or triclosans (chemicals often found in antibacterials which can adversely affect the thyroid gland). At Sephora stores across Canada.
5. Yves Saint Laurent La Laque Long-Lasting Nail Lacquer in Stormy Grey ($24): You may have missed my post titled "The Nail Polish Every Beauty Editor Will Be Wearing This Fall." It's this one. Because honestly—makeup junkies need to pay attention to their nails too, and grey is this year's de rigeur shade. If you can't get your hands on it, other good greys are Giorgio Armani's in #42 and Essie's Chinchilly. At The Bay flagship stores in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, and Holt Renfrew stores across Canada.
6. Laura Mercier Touch-Up Brush Set (Limited Edition): Fact: most products come with cheap-ass brushes that you're best off tossing in the trash. You really need quality construction for the smoothest, most professional makeup application. Laura Mercier makes some of the best brushes EVER, and this kit is a superb introduction (if your recipient is starting from scratch) or a handy travel set (for the girl who has almost everything). It contains mini sizes of the Cheek Colour Brush, All Over Eye Colour Brush, Eye Crease Brush and Flat Eye Liner Brush—all in a gorgeous bronze patent case. At Holt Renfrew stores across Canada.
7. Benefit Celebutante Personal Stylist Makeup Kit ($45): You've no doubt seen this amaaaazing makeup kit if you've been surfing the beauty blogosphere the past month or two. I can't promise you'll find it now (Benefit's website says it's out of stock) but just in case, I'll prepare you. It contains the following products: High Beam complexion enhancer, Benetint lip and cheek stain, Dallas face powder, two shades each of lipstick and eyeshadow and one lip gloss. Crazy, right? Is there a female on earth who wouldn't be delighted to receive this?