Gosh darn it, why are boys so hard to buy presents for? I'm stumped every year—mostly because I'd LIKE to gift beauty products, but they don't make for that special of a gift when people know I don't pay for them. (Don't hate—see this post for more deets.)
YOU, most likely, don't have that problem (not that it's a huge problem as far as problems go). Anyhoo! Today's post is all about beauty gifts for guys. I mean grooming gifts, actually—let's stick with the manly lingo. These are great because it's like two gifts for the price of one: ultimately, you get to be the beneficiary because your guy will be sweet-smellin' and smooth-skinned. (That's not selfish, is it?)
And who better to act as the star of this photo montage than my secret crush, Mr. Skeet Ulrich (oh yes, the same Skeet that was in such late-'90s hits as Scream and The Newton Boys). Isn't he dreamy? I once read that he ditched Hollywood for a farm in Virginia, and have dug him ever since.
But I digress. Let's talk about beauty for boyz...
1. Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme Eau de Toilette Spray: I was gaga for the original YSL L'Homme, which launched back in 2006, and this new flanker (that's scent-speak for line extension—a variation on the original) is a spicier version. Notes include cardamom, cedar and coumarin (which is like freshly-cut grass). See here and here for more detailed reviews, but as always with scent, try before you buy. At Sephora stores across Canada.
2. Fruits & Passion F/P Homme Numero 003 Shower Gel for Hair and Body ($15): While you and I generally recoil from them, guys LOVE two-in-ones. Which is why this handy gel—which doubles as a body wash and shampoo—is a great stocking stuffer. Numero 003 is the brand's newest scent (with marine and woody notes) and this contains extra moisturizing ingredients like vitamin B5 and glycerine. At Fruits & Passion stores across Canada.
3. C.O. Bigelow Barber Elixir White Ultra-Light Body Lotion ($13): Not all guys are in the habit of using body lotion, but your man lives in Canada, you need to get on that! This one's perfect—unisex, apothecary-style packaging and a masculine (woody/bergamot/citrus) scent. At Bath & Body Works stores across Canada. (While you're there, pick up some of their GREAT lip glosspour toi.)
4. Paco Rabanne One Million Eau de Toilette Spray ($56 for 50 mL): Okay, so Paco Rabanne might not be the first name that comes to mind when you think about men's fragrances, but word on the street is that you shouldn't judge a book (or in this case, scent) by its cover. This is a nice, woody juice, with notes of grapefruit, cinnamon, leather, amber and white wood. And though the packaging is slightly gaudy, it's almost perfect for gifting around the theme of "making your guy feel like a million bucks!" At department and drugstores across Canada.
5. Guerlain Homme Eau de Parfum Intense ($110 for 80 mL): What caught my eye when reading this press release was the word "mojito." Yep, that's one of the major notes in both the original Guerlain Homme and this flanker. What's the difference? This version is more woody (patchouli, cedar and vetiver). Plus, how great is this bottle? At Guerlain boutiques, Holt Renfrew, Ogilvy, Murale, The Bay and Sears stores across Canada.
6. Givenchy Play Eau de Toilette (now available in a gift set along with After-Shave lotion for $85): You may be aware that Justin Timberlake was the face of this new-ish scent, and since I caught him the other night on Saturday Night Live's Christmas Special, I'm interrupting this post for a quick MUST-SEE video... which if you ask me, is reason enough to buy this scent (although definitely NOT brought to you by Givenchy).
At The Bay and Shoppers Drug Mart stores across Canada.
7. Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream: As anti-grooming as most males are, I've yet to meet one who didn't appreciate the excellent quality and (like C.O. Bigelow) the apothecary-style design of wares from Kiehl's. You can't go wrong with this uber-rich shave cream. At Kiehl's stores across Canada.