Trend alert: Lash growth products

lash growth products, Cargo LashActivator Night, Lumigan, Latisse, Talika Eyelash Lipocils, Jan Marini Marini Lash Eyelash Conditioner, Smashbox Lash DNA Mascara, Fusion Beauty Stimulash Fusion Intensive Night Conditioning Lash Enhancer, L'Oréal Paris Lash Boosting Serum

You’ve heard of Latisse, yes? It’s the prescription treatment for growing your lashes longer, thicker and darker—and like most things that are awesome, not available in Canada just yet. (Health Canada is currently reviewing it but no word on a release date.)

Now some cool news: we don’t have to wait to get in on the lash-lengthening action.

lumigan Trend alert: Lash growth productsLumigan for Eyelash Growth

I did some, uh, investigative journalism a few weeks back and happily discovered that the active ingredient (bimatoprost) in Latisse is ALSO present in another prescription product called Lumigan, which we CAN get here (both are made by Allergan). Lumigan is used to treat glaucoma, but according to the ophthalmologist I spoke with, any MD can safely prescribe it off-label for your lashes.

(What’s an off-label prescription, you ask? It’s just like some people take the birth control pill for acne, not birth control.) While Latisse comes in single-dose applications, you can use a Q-Tip to apply Lumigan to the base of your lashes once daily for four to six weeks (and then twice a week thereafter).

You may have heard stories about the stuff changing your eye colour, but the MDs I talked to felt these concerns were minor. (Studies were done of people putting the drops IN THEIR EYES, not on the roots of their lashes, and even then the incidence of iris darkening was only 1.5 percent.) You just need to be super-careful about how you apply it, as it WILL trigger hair growth. You don’t want any weird strays on your eyelids!

New Lash Growth Products

If you’ve tried Latisse or Lumigan, I’d love to hear your experience—otherwise, in the meantime, you can rock some of these over-the-counter lash growth products. What they do is encourage blood circulation to the eyelash hair follicles and strengthen them to prevent them from falling out. The result? A longer eyelash growth phase, which means lashes appear longer and thicker. (But note: they don’t actually make lashes grow… if they did, they’d be prescription products.) Still, who cares if they LOOK longer, right?

Here are some products to try:

loreal lash serum1 150x150 Trend alert: Lash growth productsL’Oréal Paris Lash Boosting Serum

This just launched with the promise that when applied daily, it will transform your lashes in four weeks. Use it alone at night and under mascara during the day. L’Oréal Paris are actually giving away 500 of these puppies right now! Head on over here to enter.

smashbox lash dna 150x150 Trend alert: Lash growth productsSmashbox Lash DNA Mascara

Don’t have time to apply a nighttime treatment? This product has lash-enhancing amino acids and proteins blended right into regular mascara. I was sold on the promise of a “doe-eyed” effect.

jan marini lash Trend alert: Lash growth productsJan Marini Marini Lash Eyelash Conditioner

Jan Marini was the first company to come out with an OTC lash booster, which if I’m not mistaken, was so close to the prescription version that they had to reformulate. This new edition contains peptides and can be used on eyebrows too.

cargo lash activator night 300x300 Trend alert: Lash growth productsCargo LashActivator Night

Cargo already offers LashActivator, a black mascara with lash-enhancing properties. This spring, they’re launching a nighttime treatment, which doubles as a volumizing primer under your mascara. The claim: 169 percent improvement over the natural rate of lash growth in 30 days.

fusionbeauty stimulashfusion 150x150 Trend alert: Lash growth productsFusion Beauty StimuLashFusion Intensive Night Conditioning Lash Enhancer

This product doubles as an eyebrow growth-booster, but takes a little longer—six weeks—to work its magic. Bonus: no parabens.

Talika Lipocils 150x150 Trend alert: Lash growth productsTalika Eyelash Lipocils

Another newcomer: this is a twice-daily treatment to lengthen and thicken lashes in 28 days. I like that it’s plant-based (nettle, lethicin, apple extract, etc.) but wish they’d left out the parabens.

Disclaimer: I am not an MD so please speak to your doctor before using any of these products!

And the last word goes to this lady:

crazy long lashes 300x225 Trend alert: Lash growth products

Anupa
Friday, March 19/2010 at 1:41 pm

OMG, hahaha! That last picture is the worst picture ever! So scary :S

I have the new L’Oreal mascara with the lash boosting stuff in it… am excited to try it and see how it fares, but the Cargo product looks verryyy interesting—love the “doe eyed” descriptor too.

Joy
Wednesday, March 24/2010 at 11:21 am

LMAO!!! OMG that picture is hilarious and disturbing at the same time!!!

eman ali
Thursday, April 15/2010 at 2:37 am

i wanna asking about new product it is(smartlash) and l want to try it and ordered it for free , but i’m worry about my lash from these products my lash is nice but i want to tryyyy! advice mee

Kesley Choate
Friday, April 16/2010 at 1:06 pm

I have been using this new Eyelash Growth Gel called Lash-em and it’s been working great. After just 2 weeks, my eyelashes are so much longer. I have tried so many other products that say they will lengthen your eyelashes, but they never work! I am in love with this stuff and won’t ever use anything else. You should definitely try this product out. Their website is http://www.lash-em.com

Amy
Sunday, May 9/2010 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for a full review on lash growth products. I did hear mixed responses. My friend and I are using Talika eyelash lipocils, and will report the results later.

Sunday, May 9/2010 at 9:51 pm

Amy – yes please let me know if you get any good results! I’m testing the Cargo one but always forget to apply it before bed :-(

Grow Longer Lashes
Tuesday, June 15/2010 at 11:39 pm

The last photograph is scary ! I never ever want my eyelashes to grow that way !! lol

Eileen
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 10:10 am

Has anyone tried products from http://www.Lashem.com

Karen
Friday, September 3/2010 at 1:31 pm

I’d like to try the lumigan. It did wonders for my friend that had very short lashes. They’re like spider legs now.
I’m going to buy the Maybelline, Falsies Volume Express and see how that works. Will let you all know :)

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 4:27 pm

That’s awesome about the Lumigan! I’ve seen the effects of the Latisse first hand (a beauty editor friend was one of the first to get to try it here, as it’s now available) and it is indeed impressive.

Skybluesky
Monday, September 13/2010 at 4:04 pm

I got Latisse from my dermatologist and I’m almost at the 4 week mark (16 weeks for max results) and I can already see subtle results! I’m Asian so I have short/sparse/straight lashes. Lumigan and Latisse are both .03% bimatoprost solution and the vehicle (solution they’re in) is the same composition. That said, they’re obviously used differently. Don’t let anyone tell you differently, they’re just trying to scare you. I got Latisse because I don’t want my insurance company to think I have glaucoma and raise my premium (haha).

Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:15 pm

I never thought of that! (re: insurance) Good point! I guess now that Latisse is in Canada nobody will be resorting to Lumigan… but you’re right, the doctors that aren’t familiar with this stuff really try to scare you. Meanwhile, I interviewed one of the docs who actually worked on the studies and she was very knowledgeable—and confident about the safety of BOTH Lumigan and Latisse.
Glad you are seeing results already!

Patrice
Saturday, March 12/2011 at 12:06 am

Hi ladies! Has anyone tried SmartLash? I just ordered it!

Leah
Thursday, May 12/2011 at 2:35 am

I have been using Fusion Lash for about 4 weeks now and I am in love with this product! It is nothing short of amazing, the growth on my lashes is spectacular. This product is wonderful and my lashes have gotten so thick. The one draw back is that I am very fair and this product definitly stains the skin on the lids a very light purple. Though it is not to big of a deal since I often wear purple shadows.

Monday, May 23/2011 at 4:45 pm

Awesome – thanks for your testimonial! 4 weeks is super fast to see a result!

Janet
Tuesday, July 5/2011 at 4:10 am

Can I use lumigan twice a day to speed up the process? Morning & Night?

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 9:36 pm

Latisse is now available in Canada! You can apply it more often but it won’t work faster. See here: http://www.realself.com/question/faster-results-apply-latisse-day

Priscila Wallentin
Wednesday, July 27/2011 at 1:36 am

I have always have long eye lashes but I wanted a more “dramatic” effect, so I purchased IDOL LASH, used it daily for about 2 months and the results were amazing. I totally believe in this product. As for Lumigan, I ordered it from a pharmacy in the UK and I just started using it, no results yet but neither negative points. I’ll keep you guys posted….

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 10:52 am

Cool! Is Latisse not available in the UK? I started it a couple months ago and VERY happy with the results!

Priscila Wallentin
Monday, August 29/2011 at 4:08 am

Hi everyone, latest update on Lumigan: using now for 5 weeks and just as Michelle: I am very happy with the results as well. It works slow compared to other products (Idol Lash), but it does make your lashes thicker and it actually helps growing NEW lashes! First 2 days my eyes were slightly red and irritated, but did not last long and after the 3rd application, you shouldn’t have any problems at all. I recommend to apply in the evening (the earlier the better), I have the sense it works better if no make-up is applied afterwards.

Cessi
Thursday, April 5/2012 at 12:49 am

hi,

i took your advise and went to alldaychemist however, I wasn’t able to order as they said I had to have a prescription. so how did those of you using Lumigan order with or without a Rx?

Anum
Wednesday, February 12/2014 at 2:17 pm

Can Lumigan be used on your eyebrows? I’m not so worried about my lashes as I am about my brows after an unfortunate brow thread experience. If not, what products are recommended for brow growth?