Out now: L’Oréal Paris Colorist Secrets

L'Oréal Paris Colorist Secrets collection, Shine Gloss, Brass Banisher, Haircolor Remover, hair treatments

Are beauty brands getting smarter or what? L’Oréal Paris has just launched a new line of salon-inspired hair treatments that even die-hard salon goers like moi will want to try. Seriously.

The collection is called Colorist Secrets, and it includes three GENIUS products:

• Haircolour Remover ($13.99) removes permanent colour, whether you did it yourself or got it done at the salon, in one step that takes just 20 minutes. Total lifesaver, right? I know more than a few people (including myself) who’ve shampooed with harsh, drying dish soap multiple times for days on end, in order to fade a colour. This is MUCH more gentle, and after you use it, you can re-dye immediately.
  • Brass Banisher ($11.99), as you might guess, eliminates brassiness. It’s ammonia-free, only takes five minutes and tones down gold, red and orange tones in natural, highlighted and colour-treated hair. I love that you can can even use it right after colouring or highlighting to balance your new colour. I’ll start using this instead of forking over $20 for it at my hairdresser’s.
  • Shine Gloss ($11.99) is a shine-boosting treatment for that takes only 10 minutes and lasts up to six weeks. You can use it on natural, highlighted and colour-treated hair—it’s especially good for a mini-boost in between colourings. Oh, and if the concept sounds familiar, you’re right—it’s just like Clairol’s Shine Happy, which launched a few years back.

Anyway, what do YOU think of these hair prodz? Smart, right?

Megan
Tuesday, April 13/2010 at 5:01 pm

These products sounds amazing (if they work!) I have always been afraid to colour my hair, or to do anything to my hair without the help of a professional. The price point is amazing though! I think I would definitely try the Brass Banisher as I colour my hair a blonde all over and they I get a whiter blonde highlight on top- after a couple weeks my hair seems to get a bit brassy (even when using colour safe salon quality shampoos and conditioners.)

Are these out in stores now (in Canada?)

meg

CoCo
Sunday, September 5/2010 at 1:12 pm

Yes, the shine and the brass products are in Canada. I haven’t noticed the colour remover, but then I haven’t looked.

Tuesday, April 13/2010 at 5:25 pm

Hey Meg, I think the Brass Banisher and/or the Shine Gloss would be totally fine to use as an “adjunctive” type of treatment to your regular colour sessions… they’re not going to add any NEW colour in – will just add shine and in the case of the brassiness one, change the tone. It’s basically the same thing as the toner you’d get at the salon.

If you’re nervous maybe wait to see what reviews come up – I like to check Makeup Alley. They only have one review so far but it’s positive: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ID=130420/Brass_Banisher/LOreal/Hair_Color/

And yes, these should be in stores this month!

Megan
Tuesday, April 13/2010 at 5:42 pm

Amazing! Thanks so much Michelle! I just came across this site from searching “morocconoil” in Google! I am so glad I found it, I’ve added it to my bookmarks :)

Tuesday, April 13/2010 at 5:53 pm

That’s great – thanks for adding me to your reading rotation! And if you do try the products you will have to report back :-)

Gimped
Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 1:53 pm

A little slow on the comment ball here …

I’m interested in trying the Brassiness one, too. I recently had my brown locks bleached out, and I’m finding the tone is getting a bit weird. But before using it I need to find out if it’s okay to use on damaged hair; the bleach kinda did a number on my fine hair. Is it gently enough that it won’t cause breakage?

Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 5:44 pm

@Gimped – let me find out from L’Oreal’s consulting hairstylist. I’ll see if I can get an answer for you.

Gimped
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks, Michelle! Look forward to hearing from you :)

Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 1:03 pm

Ok here’s the response from Nicole Dupuis, Director of the L’Oréal Canada technical center:

She can use the Brass Banisher from Colourist Secrets, as it will help get rid of the yellowish, brassiness. This product is gentle enough as it does not contain ammonia. Rinse the product after 5 minutes and then wait 4 to 6 weeks to colour again.

I hope that helps!

Sylvie
Thursday, August 12/2010 at 1:33 pm

I want to do the Ombre hair look. My natural hair is sort of a light caramel brown/dark blonde and I have gotten highlights to add some depth, which are still present blended into my hair around midshaft. I just want a few shades later on the ends. My hair is relatively fine but it’s in decent condition since I take really good care of it.

Should I use the dye remover on the ends, followed by the brass remover to neutralize any red/orange that might come from removing light brown dye? Will this fry my hair?

Thursday, August 12/2010 at 8:33 pm

Hi Sylvie, I’m going to see if I can get someone from L’Oreal to answer that question for you as I would not be able to live with myself if my advice made your hair fall out or something! (Not saying these products would/could do that, but with colour always best to err on side of caution!)

So hold that thought…

Monday, August 30/2010 at 5:51 pm

Hi Sylvie, I heard back from my contact at L’Oreal, who checked with the haircolour experts at their technical centre as well as consulting stylist Eric Del Monaco…

AND…. the answer is that you’re best off calling the L’Oreal Consumer Care Centre for a personalized recommendation. They need to know more details about your hair type/condition/colour etc before they can recommend how to do this.

The number is 1.888.4.LOREAL and the experts will give you a proper diagnostic (e.g. confirm if your ends are colour treated, etc.) and then give a recommendation.

Sorry I couldn’t get a more detailed answer for you but I think you’ll get excellent guidance here! Good luck!

Tuesday, September 21/2010 at 12:45 pm

Hi Sylvie, I got some Ombré instructions from Clairol which you should check out – post is up now! http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/21/why-yes-it-is-possible-to-do-your-own-ombre-hair-colour-at-home/

Marylee Basore
Thursday, August 26/2010 at 1:38 am

My natural hair color is ashey blond and I have highlights done professionally every 4months. IF I dyed my hair RED would this HAIR COLOR REMOVER truly get out ALL of the red so that I could go Blond again? Thanking you in advance for your prompt answer.
Sincerely,
Marylee

Thursday, August 26/2010 at 11:43 am

Hi Marylee, it sounds like it would based on the product description, but I think you’d be best off calling L’Oreal’s hair colour help line for that type of question just to be on the safe side. I’ve spoken to their people before and they seem to really know what they’re talking about.

# is 1 888 4-LOREAL

Brooke
Saturday, September 4/2010 at 1:11 pm

my hair is really short and fine i want to go blonde but my is red with brown but light should i use the colour removle then bleach then the brass toner?

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 3:34 pm

Hi Brooke – I would call the L’Oreal hair colour help line to get their advice, as they’d be MUCH better at this than I am. The # is 1 888 4-LOREAL. Good luck!

CoCo
Sunday, September 5/2010 at 1:10 pm

I’ve used Brass Banisher to reduce the yellow in my blonde highlights, but I am still not satisfied and am forced to use Roux’s “silver lining” temporary colour/toner every shampoo to get the right effect. Can I use the Brass Banisher a few more times? Would this increase the brass banishing effects? I am thinking of weekly – until I get the right tone. Also, the instructions recommend that you only leave it on for 10 minutes max. If it has no damaging ammonia, why not leave it on a little longer? If they are afraid of over correcting and getting a blue or green tone, wouldn’t it be okay to try gradual increases in application each time you used it? Thanks.

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 3:36 pm

Hmmm I’m really not sure so like I said above, I think your best bet is to call them and ask – they really do know their stuff (I’ve called them before when I did box colour). I wouldn’t want to advise you something that could damage your hair so it’s best to speak to an expert who also knows the product inside out.
The # is 1 888 4-LOREAL. Hope it works out!

ash
Thursday, September 23/2010 at 7:35 am

i used the brass banisher lastnight, and i had beautiful bleach blonde hair.. so i did my roots thinking i could get the goldness out of the roots.. it messed up my hair… so im not to happy with it, now i gotta see what my bill is gonna be at the hair dressers…

Thursday, September 23/2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh no! I would love to hear exactly what happened…?
Have you tried calling the L’Oreal Customer Care # to talk to one of their hair experts? 1-888-4-LOREAL. Maybe they can help. (Although I totally understand going to see a professional, I would probably do the same if I made a DIY mistake…)

sydney
Sunday, February 27/2011 at 11:27 pm

I just used the brass crap as well. I dyed my hair (like always) with the same feria golden blonde,and THIS time it turned totally red! WTF?!? I used the brass thing and now my hair is a crappy mouse brown!!!Its hideous! Now, I read above that I have to wait 4-6 weeks to re dye my hair???Did you do yours soon after? How did it turn out? I’m NOT going around like this!

Samira
Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 10:00 pm

Hi I bleached my hair and now I want to get rid of the yellow and orange I have in my hair. I was wondering if I use Brass Banisher by L’oreal will it turn my hair into a dark blond? I’m trying to get back to a platinum color and I can’t take having this yellow/orange tones in my hair but I don’t want to go darker cause my goal is to get to a platinum blond.

Monday, November 22/2010 at 7:30 pm

Hi Samira – I don’t think it is supposed to darken your blonde, just cut the orange tone of it. Maybe you should call the L’Oreal customer help line just to make sure though – you can tell them what was in your hair before in terms of colour and they should be able to help you out. It’s 1-888-4-LOREAL. I’ve talked to them before and found them extremely knowledgable.

sydney
Sunday, February 27/2011 at 11:32 pm

DONT USE THE BRASS product if youre trying to get LIGHT BLONDE!!! It WILL turn the shade A LOT darker!!! I just used it,and my golden blonde (which was a bit too GOLDEN!),and NOW it is worse than before! It is a dirty brown,and now I’m scared to re color b/c I have never used this crap before. I should have known better, the Loreal crap was what originally came out wrong, so why would I use the same BRAND to fix the problem? It was the same brand/color I have used for a while, and it totally was different.It is like a scam,sell the color to mess it up,buy our OTHER product to fix the problem!!!UGH!

Angie
Wednesday, December 8/2010 at 3:44 am

Hello Michelle,
I like the L’oreal products. They have helped change my hair colour from a copper blond with highlights (my natural hair colour is med auburn) to a more blond. 2 months ago I used L’Oreal Feria Multi Highligting kit and Light ash blond and the results were more blond but still golden. A month ago I used Feria shimmering 110 and it went lighter but only on the top where it is more bleached out. Last week I purchased a purple shampoo and left it in my hair but nothing really changed. So I bought touch-0n highlights and the brass banisher and it made my over all hair more orange. So today I tried another box of the brass banisher (my hair is below my shoulders and quite thick) and left it in for much longer than 10 mins (more like 30mins) and the results were lighter blond but still orange, brassy tones in the back. My goal is to have Very light blond or light blod hair all over. Should I use the Feria Highlighting kit again and dye it very light blond or ultra light ash blond? Or use another box of brass banisher? I could go to a salon but I would prefer to fix this myself then go to a salon in the next 2 months. Thanks! Angie

Tuesday, December 14/2010 at 6:06 pm

Hi Angie! Wow that is a lot of colour you’ve put in your hair. I would strongly recommend calling the L’Oreal customer care centre before you do anything more… I would be very nervous using another box of colour since you’ve already been through so many in a short time. I wouldn’t want your hair to get really damaged.

The # is 1-800-4-LOREAL… they are really good, I’ve spoken with their experts many times before. They should be able to advise you on your specific hair situation. good luck!

GIGI
Wednesday, December 22/2010 at 3:51 pm

Can you help me please. I have White hair, and very little Grey in the back. I have Brown eyes. I have been dying my hair, for years, but keep getting platinum blonde or a dark gold . It washes out too fast when my hairdresser uses Goldwell. It looks so beautiful at first a nice yellow blonde but lighter, then in a few washes gone and too light again. I have allergies to Clairol now, so that is why I have used only Loreal and recently Goldwell, hair color. What can I use to get that Blonde on Blonde look, I had years ago. I need yellow, I look best in Lightest beige blonde,or a Yellow golden blonde. But my skin is too light so washes me out, but cannot seem to get enough yellow. What can I use. a hairdresser wants to use Marjirel, with Loreal, but I don’t know. the brassier the better for me. i love that Lightest beige look though. GIGI Thank you so much, I called the #’s for Loreal, and they cannot be reached by my calling area, I am in East Boston, Mass.

Saturday, January 1/2011 at 1:29 pm

Hi Gigi – L’Oreal USA has a virtual beauty advisor (like an online chat) that might be able to help you out? http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:customer_service_contact:chat//q+ContactUs_Haircolor//|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}

Unfortunately I don’t have enough knowledge of the specific colours in each line (nor how they’d react with your particular hair shade) to advise you properly… I’m sorry! But I’m confident that the L’Oreal experts should be able to help you out. Good luck!

sydney
Sunday, February 27/2011 at 11:35 pm

I use hair color a lot as well,the brass thing sucks,truly,just buy blonde,NOT ash or beige though, these always turn a grey or green tone if you color a lot. Use natural! Or golden if you want warmer,stay away from the ash,it will turn out bad!

Dee
Tuesday, January 11/2011 at 11:59 pm

Hi-

I have brown hair with carmel highlites. I only use shampoos and conditioners without the harsh sulfates and parabens, etc. Even with using these expensive products, my highlites still turn brassy. I can’t figure out why this always happens. I have been researching online for something and saw this product. I have read very mixed reviews so far. I want to try it but don’t want to make the color worse but I really want to tone down the highlites that I currently have. The hair that is highlited also got very weak and split so I wanted to ensure that this product wouldn’t do more damage. Any thoughts???

Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 7:24 pm

Hmmm I know what you mean – I would probably be cautious too about putting this on hair that’s looking damaged. Have you tried purple shampoo/conditioner? That can really help brassiness. John Frieda has one you might investigate: http://www.johnfrieda.ca/en-CA/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Sheer-Blonde/Colour-Renew-Tone-Correcting-Shampoo It’s in the Sheer Blonde line but might still work for your highlights.
Otherwise I’d probably go back to the salon, maybe they can put in a toner? Probably essentially the same thing as this L’Oreal product but you’d be under supervision in case anything goes wrong :-)

Lili
Friday, January 14/2011 at 10:16 pm

Hey I was wondering if this product worked or not because I have gotten my hair “spot treated” to fix a box color I had done and then recently I got it professionally bleached “corrective colored” and toned which cost me 100 dollars! The top is a beautiful bleach blonde but I have found that the underneath of my hair stayed brassy. I am desperate, do you think this would work for me? Would it lighten the underneath and keep the top bleach blonde? I also use Clairol shimmer lights shampoo and conditioner.

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:27 pm

Hey Lili – I haven’t tried it personally but I think it works the same as a toner would that you get in the salon. However – I think because your hair has been through so much, I might hesitate to add another thing into the mix. You could try calling the L’Oreal 1-800 # (1-800-4-LOREAL) and see what they think given your “hair history”. Maybe you could just use it on the underneath sections only so that it doesn’t change the upper layers… but I would probably ask them just to get a professional opinion.

Starr
Friday, May 6/2011 at 12:56 am

Brass banishers not that great just got done using it and it made it a little lighter red than it was but not by much.

Tara
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 5:49 pm

Hi, I bleached my hair from red to try and go to blonde, but the orangey tones just don’t want to let go of my hair. I really don’t want to bleach my hair again, I was wondering if Brass Banisher would get most of the orange tones out? Also, how damaging is it to hair??

Lili
Sunday, July 31/2011 at 9:49 pm

Hey Tara, I actually used the brass banisher it did not work for me. I had some yellowy tones but it actually made my hair darker, I didn’t like it at all. I do like the shimmer lights shampoo which is purple based and that gets rid of yellow or orange tone, try that :). That and a good clarifying shampoo.

Sunday, August 14/2011 at 4:14 pm

Thanks Lili – I haven’t tried the Brass Banisher myself so that’s good to know that it made your hair go darker. Tara, if you don’t want to try that I would recommend going to a salon for a toner… they’re not that expensive, maybe $40, and if you get an ash or neutral colour it can cut the brassiness. Or try a purple shampoo.

Lili
Sunday, August 14/2011 at 6:49 pm

I agree, I use a purple shampoo (Clairol Shimmer lights is my favorite) every few days and it keeps the brassiness away :). I have gotten my hair toned at a Beauty institute and it is really cheap there because it is students, if they mess up they will usually fix it for free.Never try to do it yourself, that never turns out well, I’m speaking for experience. Good luck!

melissa
Friday, January 6/2012 at 2:49 pm

i have bleached my hair multiple times and then died it back brown. ever since i have bleached it hair color wont stick. ive dyed it a reddish color a few months after leaving it but my hair still wont keep the color. i was wondering if using the brass banisher or color remover will take all the red out of my hair so i can go back to my natural color, which is a dark blonde/light brown?

Max
Thursday, April 26/2012 at 12:22 am

Hey I used the brass banisher on my hair which is a dark brown, and
Had tons of dark red (like Rihanna) in it and I did the whole 10 minutes
And it lightened it to a medium orange which was great and the second
Time to a dark mousy color which is great for when I get my hair done
In the summer so the hair will not turn golden! Love the product! Great
Use of money : )

Jill
Thursday, April 26/2012 at 5:33 pm

I live in northern Minnesota where all girls wanting to be blonde eventually end up orange. This product is amazing. I don’t really know what’s in it or how it works but it does, and I hate orange hair! I would recommend this to anybody with rusty water. My daughter wanted to be a spokeperson. Everyone should try this product.

shannon bailey
Sunday, May 6/2012 at 12:31 pm

Hi I need some advice. My current haircolor is bleach blonde. But it is severely damaged and frizzy. I am sick of it. I have been coloring it for 23 years this bleach blonde. It has broke off a bunch of hair recently. I want to color it a meduim to dark blonde. To give it some color and life back to it. Can you please help me? What colors with loreal prefrence do you use to get a medium to dark blonde color? Thanks. I hope you can help me! ASAP

kathy stenberg
Sunday, January 20/2013 at 2:26 am

I died my hair the other day & it turned an awful shade of red so I used Loreal Color Remover & died it a blonde color which did not take. Now my hair is bright orange & I’m afraid to use anything on it. I can’t go to church tomorrow becuz of it & will have to do something bef Monday so I can go to work. Want to try an Lt brown ash shade hair coloring but if it doesn’t wrk this time I’m afraid my hr will fall out from all the chemicals as the color removal was very harsh on my hr. Your help would be appreciated asap as I’ve bn surfing the net or 2 hrs trying to find a solution. Carrot top Kathy PS My hair looks like a freak.