Twestion time: What’s a good anti-wrinkle cream for a 24-year-old?

woman first wrinkles

It’s Twestion Time! That’s Twitter Question Time for short.

Today’s query is from @FranZigone (no, that’s not her above), who asks: “Any recos for a good anti-wrinkle cream for a 24 yr old? Tried Biotherm last time. What do u suggest?”

Now I should also say here that Fran didn’t just ask ME this question. (My Twitter handle is @Beauty_Editor, by the way, in case you want to ask Twestions of your own.) No, Fran also asked this of two other, very smart beauty editors (both of whom you should also follow). Their responses?

@LesaHannah: At 24???!!! It’s called SUN SCREEN! icon smile Twestion time: Whats a good anti wrinkle cream for a 24 year old?

and

@KFlemming: Sunscreen! That’s it.

burts bees radiance spf 15 day lotion Twestion time: Whats a good anti wrinkle cream for a 24 year old?And of course, they’re right, Fran. But I’m going to expand on this a bit more, since (a) I have room here and (b) I like to be servicey.

So let’s talk about sunscreen first. Absolutely, it’s the number one thing you can do at any age—but especially when you’re only 24—to prevent premature aging. (Don’t believe me? Take a gander at these here photos.)

I’m a huge fan of physical block-type sunscreens: zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. The chemical load is less and they’re great for sensitive or acne-prone skin (for some people, the ingredients in regular sunscreens can be irritating or cause breakouts). As I mentioned here, my favourite one in the world is Pure + Simple’s All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 for Oily/Impure Skin; it also comes in Sensitive and Anti-Aging formulas.

You can also look for moisturizers with the sunscreen conveniently built-in. One I’m loving right now is Burt’s Bees Radiance SPF 15 Day Lotion, which is a great basic moisturizer for any skin type (it also has anti-wrinkle benefits and will make your skin look more luminous). Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15 is another good one. But really, the key thing for anti-wrinkle protection during the day is to just wear sunscreen of any kind, period.

skinceuticals retinol Twestion time: Whats a good anti wrinkle cream for a 24 year old?At night, it’s never too early to start using a product from the retinoid family—vitamin A derivatives that stimulate collagen production and can, over time, reduce fine lines and sun damage. (They can also help with blemishes and, as I’ve mentioned a few times here, are still the gold standard in anti-aging.) SkinCeuticals makes a great retinol product in both 0.5% and 1.0% concentrations—but it’s a bit pricey. I like NeoStrata‘s anti-aging offerings too, and their Anti-Wrinkle Night Complex contains retinol, is for all skin types and is at a lower price point. One more option: Dermaglow has a line called Nuvage, which is designed for women looking to prevent the first signs of aging. The Anti-Aging Therapy product doesn’t have retinol, but it does have antioxidants and peptides, which are two other ingredient families to look for.

Last thing: I didn’t mention eye creams because unless you have a super-sensitive eye area, you can just use your regular face cream all over. (And Paula Begoun agrees with me.) Sure, an eye cream is nice to have, but it’s not really a necessity—and I think at 24 you want to keep your regimen fairly simple.

Anyone have more tips for Fran? Are you shocked that I just dissed eye cream? Or are you still wondering how a 24-year-old could possibly already be worrying about wrinkles?

thechicstorm
Thursday, April 29/2010 at 8:19 pm

I’m not shocked at all — I think I started using eye cream around the same time. If Fran is a foundation/powder girl, she could try a mineral product, which has SPF built in. Also, I highly recommend eye cream, and anything from a youth-friendly line, like La Roche Posay or even Benefit, would be good. You don’t need anything heavy duty, but if nothing else, eye cream can be very soothing just after you remove makeup and can give you a bit of a boost first thing in the morning. But that’s just one ex-beauty gal’s humble opinion ;)

Jenny
Thursday, April 29/2010 at 9:51 pm

i think Fran asked a great question! i’m 23 and also worried about wrinkles, however, my last experience with Roc anti-wrinkle cream gave me an allergic reaction! i think i was allergic to the retinol or something…my face started turning reddish pink and it felt like i had a sunburn on my face! i quickly washed it off and applied aloe vera overnight!

Friday, April 30/2010 at 10:45 am

@thechicstorm – Great idea about using a mineral powder with SPF built-in. It just gives you that extra bit of protection. Oh and I agree – eye cream FEELS great and I definitely use it myself.

@Jenny – Retinol allergies are pretty rare, although it’s certainly possible that’s what caused your reaction. There are lots of other ingredients that can cause reactions though – have you tried anything specifically for sensitive skin? La Roche Posay have lots of options and Vichy has a new sensitive skin line you might look into: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/02/08/out-now-vichy-essentielles/

Puffy Eyes
Wednesday, May 5/2010 at 8:12 am

I believe more make up more wrinkles.
So, wear less make up and less wrinkles , black circles, eye bags.

Shivani
Sunday, May 16/2010 at 9:52 pm

I’m 23 and I had the “11″ problem on my forehead. I used my mom’s dior deep wrinkle serum a couple of times and its gone. I have a very expressive face, now I just keep my expressions under control – I think that helps. But besides minor issues such as these, I doubt Fran would have many problems. Just wear SPF, drink lots of water, exercise and be happy – that’s the best wrinkle cream.

laura
Monday, June 28/2010 at 10:02 am

Hello Im also 24 and I was wondering what do you think about Neutrogena eye cream and Neutrogena lift 30 SPF for day use? I actually use it night and day after I clean my face. I dont wear makeup except of during the night on the weekend time.

Also what do you think about using a toner after washing the face or cleaning it and before the cream? Thanks a lot!!!

Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 6:43 pm

@Laura – Neutrogena make good, basic products so those should be just fine for 20-something skin. (You don’t need anything with super-potent anti-aging ingredients just yet.) The most important thing is the sunscreen, so if you’re wearing SPF 30 every day, you’re good! It’s fine to use the same moisturizer morning and night as long as the sunscreen in it isn’t irritating you. (Some people are quite sensitive to chemical sunscreens.)

As for toners – I think they are great because most of the time your cleanser isn’t going to remove all the dirt, makeup, dead skin cells, etc. Getting that stuff off is going to help the ingredients in your moisturizer penetrate better – which will ultimately make your skin look better. Does that make sense? I like the exfoliating ones with glycolic acid (such as NeoStrata and Dermaglow) but you have to be careful they don’t irritate your skin. Use them a couple of times a week until you can build up a tolerance. I just use mine maybe 3-4 times a week, at night, before I put on my serum and night cream. I figure my face is clean enough in the morning to skip that step.

I hope that helps!

Melissa
Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 9:37 am

Fabulous post! Very helpful.

Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 7:09 pm

Thanks! Hope it helped :-)

Larissa
Monday, November 29/2010 at 11:32 am

Great post, as always :)

I’m 18 but I know that when is about wrinkles and aging, the best would always be prevention. And sunscreen is the must. Right now I’m wearing Anthelios SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme; and I recently read that Mexoryl (the main sunscreen that is in it, well actually it contains some sunscreens working as a “complex”) is the best sunscreen around because it covers almost the whole UV spectrum and it doesn’t degrades with sunlight exposure (what means that you don’t need to reapply it so often!), and its shortcomings are solved by another sunscreens. And the plus for me, is that this sunscreen doesn’t break out my skin (I have mild/moderate acne). I’m also a Retin-A total fan… Everything that can prevent the damage to collagen is welcome!

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 9:09 pm

Yep – sunscreen is a must! As far as chemical ones go, Anthelios is a good one… I’m just more of a fan of the mineral ones (zinc oxide / titanium dioxide). They’re also better for sensitive/breakout-prone skin.

For acne – have you seen my cod liver oil post? Read the testimonials – it’s AMAZING. http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/02/the-single-best-product-evah-for-your-skin-is-not-in-fact-an-actual-skincare-product/

Christina
Monday, September 12/2011 at 7:14 pm

Very Helpful Post!

Rola
Friday, July 12/2013 at 9:56 pm

I’m 23 years old, and I’m extra worried about wrinkles, because I have extra white skin, which is more prone to damage and wrinkles especially round the eyes !! I ‘m using Bioderma cleansing gel for combination skin twice per day, and from Ducray (Ictyane cream) as a moisturizer. Also, for the past week I have used from Arpala the skin signature eye treatment film, but I have realised that my eyes are puffier and I have some dark circles, do you think its from the anti-aging eye cream?
What do you recommend I use as an anti-wrinkle eye cream for my age?

Missy
Wednesday, July 31/2013 at 7:26 pm

The best anti-wrinkle cream for a young girl is sunscreen. Wear it religiously and you will be grateful when you hit forty.