So today I start Zerona—a fat-burning laser treatment…

beach body

UPDATE: I’ve concluded that this procedure does not work—my feeling is that any weight loss that people experience comes from the supplement, Curva (NOT the Zerona sessions themselves). To read the full series of posts on my experience, see here: a Q&A with Dr. Mulholland, the pre-treatment measurements and photos, my first two sessions, the mid-treatment measurements, post-treatment measurements and then final measurements. I then started a second round of (six) treatments, but once again did not experience any changes. I believe that LipoSonix sounds more promising.

Have you heard of Zerona? It’s a new laser treatment that’s been generating a LOT of buzz lately because it apparently melts away inches of fat—without any pain or invasiveness. Like a laser liposuction, if you will.

I know, it sounds way too good to be true. But then I read this post by Dr. Drew Ordon of the TV show The Doctors:

Hi Everyone,

When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But you cannot argue with results. Inches are inches, and the Zerona removes inches, more than four inches on the “test” case we did for The Doctors. I have to say, I didn’t believe it at first either.

The Zerona laser simply shines a laser light upon the areas where the fat is to be reduced. The laser biochemically creates a “hole” in the cell wall of the lipocyte (fat cell), and the cell contents are spilled out into the space between the cells, where lymph resides. And just like with lymph, it is absorbed, and the waste is excreted from the body. Basically, the Zerona has been shown to reduce inches of fat by sucking the fat cells dry.

We will have to wait and see what the long term results are, but for now, the evidence shows that we have a new way to reduce figure flaws without surgery.

Dr. Drew Ordon

And that’s what convinced me to give it a test drive at Dr. Stephen Mulholland’s SpaMedica clinic in Toronto. Hopefully I’ll look like the photo above when I’m done.

There are going to be six treatments across the next two weeks, so I’m going to share with you the step-by-step in a series of posts.

What I won’t be sharing, however, are any before and after pics! I hear from Janine from Beautygeeks that I’m going to be asked to slip into a paper thong today for some confidence-killing photos. Yikes!

Anyway, stay tuned for more—I’ll be giving you all the deets plus a Q&A I did with Dr. Mulholland. And feel free to ask anything else you want to know along the way. I’ll make sure your questions get answered too.

Disclaimer: Dr. Mulholland has very generously allowed me to do the series of treatments free of charge for this review. My thighs thank him.

katherine
Friday, April 30/2010 at 2:34 pm

Will it be FULL disclosure?

Lynsey James March
Sunday, May 2/2010 at 11:12 am

Oh wow, this is the first time I am hearing of this procedure. I’ll be looking into this further, it might be the solution I am looking for.

Sunday, May 2/2010 at 10:45 pm

@katherine – No pics of me in paper undies – sorry! :-)

@Lynsey – I’ll be posting more over the next couple of weeks as I do the treatments, but what I know so far is that it’s for all-over fat loss. If you want to lose fat from a single targeted area (eg. tummy), there are better treatments, such as Velashape or Ultrashape.

Cheryl
Sunday, May 9/2010 at 10:32 pm

I have bookmarked this page and look forward to hearing how this goes! As a heart transplant recipient, any kind of invasive procedure is a risk of infection for me and yet having gained 30 pounds from the steroids I had to take for a few months, I am anxious to get rid of this extra weight and feel like myself again. Could this be the answer?? Also, would you mind disclosing how much this procedure would normally cost? I may need to start saving :)

Sunday, May 9/2010 at 10:39 pm

Hi Cheryl, it’s sold in a package of six sessions (along with a supplement you have to take) and the cost at SpaMedica in Toronto is $2,999. I’ve posted more about how it’s going so far so check out the Q&A I did with Dr. Mulholland and my post on the pre-treatment measurements and paper panties (!)

Kim burnside
Wednesday, May 26/2010 at 8:49 pm

Very interesting and I am looking forward to find out how yu get along
are yu very obese?and what about side effects?

Wednesday, May 26/2010 at 10:28 pm

Haha! No, I’m not obese, just normal weight. :-)
There are no side effects – see my Q&A with Dr. Mulholland: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/04/my-review-of-zerona-a-qa-with-dr-stephen-mulholland-of-spamedica-in-toronto/

joann
Wednesday, July 7/2010 at 4:28 pm

looking for location for treatment in london

Wednesday, July 7/2010 at 10:56 pm

@Joann – you can find a doctor in your area here: http://www.findzerona.com/Search.aspx

Laura
Wednesday, November 9/2011 at 10:32 pm

I just had a baby and was at 128lbs. I had that stubborn fat that would not go away. I did Zerona and lost those last 10 lbs and all of the cellulite on the back of my thighs. ZERONA was/is amazing and very much worth it.

Erica
Thursday, March 8/2012 at 1:45 am

Has anyone heard of the Liposonix and did you get results? I did hope others did too

Savannah
Monday, April 9/2012 at 10:10 pm

It baffles me that some people will actually spend $3,000 on a procedure like this. I am sorry if this sounds rude (I really don’t mean it to be) but whatever happened to diet and exercise?? Burning more calories then what you take in is pretty simple. I am not extremely fit nor do I have a supermodel figure but it just seems ridiculous to pay that much money for 10 pounds or a few inches. I am glad that you got yours for free and didn’t waste alot of money on a procedure that didn’t work. Stick to the basics people and work for that weight loss. What’s the point of taking the lazy way out??

Sarie
Friday, November 23/2012 at 2:42 pm

Did you know that some people when abused emotionally, mentally, physically sometimes can lead a very good life and some others might lean to alcohol, some drugs and many food (emotional eating). Some people who become “obese” got to that point to many be unattractive, as an example. Perhaps not knowing what an individuals story is can make it easy for us to say, “Stop eating and go for a walk” to that obese person. When we don’t walk in someone elses shoes it’s hard to understand sometimes. I can tell you, from listening to my clients that once you get to the point of obesity everything hurts. You get all kinds of health problems and your left with not many other options to turn your life around. If YOU were in this situation and walking to the bathroom was painful would you consider doing Zerona to increase your life expectancy, maybe lose inches to make it easier to walk a longer distance so that you can start to chance you life? I know I would….