Wait a minute—Botox actually GIVES you wrinkles?

Nicole Kidman Botox bunny lines

Sometimes it’s best to leave well enough alone—at least when it comes to your wrinkles.

According to a piece in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology cited in the Daily Mail, one of the least-known side effects of using lots of Botox is that it actually creates MORE wrinkles.

Yup. Apparently when you immobilize SOME of your facial muscles, it can cause OTHERS to come into play, making new wrinkles more prominent. Oh, the irony!

This isn’t news to most beauty industry insiders, actually. They even have a name for it. Ever heard of bunny lines?

Let me present Exhibit A: Miss Nicole Kidman. See those wrinkles around the bridge of her nose when she smiles? Telltale Botox sign. (Okay, I know the fact that her forehead is as smooth as a drum also betrays her.)

Anyway, some docs pre-empt the bunny effect by injecting around the nose as well as the forehead… but I’m not sure about this. A few extra jabs here and there and suddenly, you’re a complete Freeze Face.

What do you think? Are you pro-Bo or are there enough cautionary tales out there that you’ve sworn off ever using it?

Photo: Daily Mail

Janine
Tuesday, May 11/2010 at 9:44 am

Love it. Bunny lines! Seems to me that going the baby-steps or “undertreatment” Botox route (I like to call it the Dr. Diane Wong approach) is the best way to avoid such things. Minimal changes makes for a much more natural-looking youthful effect.

Too bad most Hollywood types haven’t figured that out.

As for me, I can’t deal with the thought of Botox for myself.

Tuesday, May 11/2010 at 9:53 am

I think something happens to you psychologically when your face (and all your imperfections) are magnified x 100 and plastered everywhere for all the world to see. It’s the only explanation for this need to fanatically erase every single line – even if it creates NEW lines.

I love that Dr. Wong does the before and after photos. It must keep the Botox addictions in check. I don’t know why more docs don’t do that.

thechicstorm
Tuesday, May 11/2010 at 10:10 am

It makes perfect sense, doesn’t it? It’s like botoxing your armpits to stop sweating. The perspiration is just going to come out somewhere else. That said, I have no issues with a little squirt of wrinkle-be-gone here and there. I just need to work on my fear of needles….

Tuesday, May 11/2010 at 10:16 am

Yikes, I never thought of that re: perspiration. Sweating in new places could get really disturbing.

ChickAdvisor
Tuesday, May 11/2010 at 10:27 am

Interesting…..I can understand why people still do it even though it creates wrinkles in other parts, because there are still less wrinkles overall.

I wonder what Nicole Kidman would look like if she stopped the upkeep (althought I doubt she ever would). I imagine her wrinkles would be more prominent than if she never botox-ed in the first place!

Sharon
Monday, October 3/2011 at 9:33 am

I appreciate the article and agree that Botox may cause more wrinkles over time, by the weakening of unused muscles. As for the bunny lines, most people do not crinkle their noses when they smile and are unlikely to do so even after Botox. On the other hand, some people’s noses naturally crinkle when they smile and always have. To state that bunny lines are a telltale sign of Botox use, is inaccurate and misleading. I am the only one of 4 girls/sisters whose smile crinkles my nose since my first smile. It is simply the way my face and muscles move, even when I smile slightly. I occasionally notice others whose smiles pull at their nose, making it crinkle as well. Nicole Kidman is one such person as you can see from early childhood pictures. Therefore, I suggest more research is done before making assertions and misstatements about bunny lines and those of us who have them. :)

Elaine
Saturday, March 31/2012 at 12:02 am

Hollywood stars look hard and plasticized. Makes them look uglier as they age!!! Botox is toxic and dangerous. I wouldnt go there. I hate they way people look these days. way too fake and HARD!