Is it just me or is lip gloss kind of over?

lipstick spring 2010 runway

Well not OVER, over.

But definitely falling out of the makeup rotation, no?

It’s funny—I used to joke about the annual fall lipstick story that every magazine on the planet would run (the ones I worked at included). You know it. It proclaims: “Lipstick is back!” And yet, did it ever actually catch on? No, not even with me, a beauty editor with access to all kinds of gloriously expensive lipstick options. Gloss was pretty much my go-to right from when I first got into this industry, in 2004, until, well, now.

I guess it takes a while for these kinds of cultural shifts to happen, but I think change is in the air. And I don’t mean on the runways—I mean with real people. (Some signs: the fuchsia lipstick Sandra Bullock and Maggie Gyllenhaal wore at the Oscars, and all the buzz surrounding Rouge Coco, Chanel’s big lippie launch this spring.) Tell me if I’m wrong, but isn’t gloss starting to look a tiny bit out of date? I’m not saying I won’t still wear it, but these days I’m finding that it’s lipstick—or lip stains—that look more fresh and modern.

That overly goopy, glassy look—think Carrie Underwood-style—is dead to me. (Unless it’s the highly-saturated Prada spring ’10 version, of course.) But cast your eye back to the Oscars round-up I did: the gloss, if it’s there, is very understated, not super-shiny.

It also doesn’t hurt that there are some SERIOUSLY good formulas out this year that leave the lipsticks of yore—with their too-brown or too-shimmery pigments—in the dust. Besides my Rouge Cocos, I—along with every other beauty editor out there—am loving Revlon’s new ColorBurst Lipstick (out in June) for its sheer, Gucci Westman-approved shades. And I’ll be posting soon about a couple of amazing lip stains from Stila and Josie Maran that have recently landed on my desk.

What about you—have you switched up your lips lately?
Could you?
Would you?

Alex
Thursday, May 13/2010 at 7:16 pm

I’ve been thinking about this lately. I used to always carry at least 3 lip glosses in my purse at all times but now they’ve all been replaced by lipstick and lip stains (I’m loving Joe Fresh lip stains – cheap and effective). For me it’s all about a more pigmented bright lip that will last, and if I want a slightly glossier effect there are lipsticks that offer that.

Honestly I don’t know if I’ll want to go back to lip gloss if/when the tides turn. I’m so over my hair sticking to my lips whenever the wind blows and I think it would get hard to get used to the feeling of gloss again.

Lisa ~ Urban Natie Girl
Friday, May 14/2010 at 12:43 am

I have come to shudder whenever I see a gloss with a metallic sheen to it. Try to find one without it … it’s very difficult. I still am not ready to go for a matte look quite yet and I like the ease of a gloss so I am guessing stain in the direction I need to go in. More research to be done …

Friday, May 14/2010 at 10:31 am

Alex – glad you agree! And good point about the hair sticking to your gloss – so annoying but I put up with that for YEARS. No more.

Lisa – I’ll be posting about a couple of new stains soon that you might like. But another option would be one of those tinted lip balms or tinted lip glosses that come in a lipstick tube. They tend to be less goopy and have more pigment than normal lip gloss, but are still very sheer.
YSL makes one that is a gloss: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/09/24/channeling-studio-54-val-garland-presents-ysls-autumn-look-part-one-of-two/#more-3469
And this balm one by Vasanti Cosmetics is quite good: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/02/08/review-vasanti-cosmetics/

Otherwise I’d consider checking out Chanel’s new Rouge Coco line – even though they’re lipsticks, they were specifically designed to feel like lip balms. I love them! http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/03/17/new-makeup-launches-march-2010/

dallas
Friday, May 14/2010 at 12:42 pm

I TOTALLY agree! I can’t remember the last time I used lipgloss on myself, or on one of my clients. Ever since I started using Benetint about 8 years ago, I haven’t looked back! Plus, I find that so many new lipsticks have a wonderful moisturizing consistency that doesn’t necessitate layering on gloss overtop (or aftewards). Lipstick formulas have really improved, and are far less drying than they used to be.

Michelle (LipstickRules)
Friday, May 14/2010 at 2:18 pm

Lipstick all the way! I am a bit biased on the topic clearly. I love gloss on top of lipstick but day to day, lipstick rules! Always make me feel put together. I’m a bit obsessed with Rouge Coco’s and now am intrigued about the Revlon ones.

I did see something interesting though on LisaEldridge.com and she mentionned that there was a study done in the UK that lipgloss is still ahead of lipstick…

ChickAdvisor
Friday, May 14/2010 at 4:54 pm

I’m a bit of a wimp when it comes to lip colours so I admit I’m still using gloss. I adore a bold lip on other people, but when it comes to myself, I just feel safer with gloss or lip balm for my everyday look!

Friday, May 14/2010 at 6:37 pm

Michelle – you will LOVE the Revlon ones. They are so, so good. Colours are nice and flat – no shimmer – and the pigments are very rich. Everyone is talking about them.

ChickAdvisor – maybe we can change that! See my comment above to Lisa… there are a few options there. And today’s post was about a new stain from Stila that I’m really loving: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/14/editors-pick-stila-raspberry-crush-lip-cheek-stain/
It’s not too bold, I promise!

Susan
Wednesday, May 19/2010 at 3:20 pm

I love the feel of lipstick & tinted lip balm. I totally agree with Alex-no more hair stuck to my face-yippee! I’m having a hard time though finding a pretty, soft colour (I don’t really like dark/bright colours on me), drugstore lipstick. If anyone has ideas, that would be wonderful!

Thursday, May 20/2010 at 5:04 pm

Susan, keep an eye out for Revlon’s new ColorBurst lipsticks – they will be in stores next month. http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/04/15/sneak-peek-revlon-colorburst-lipstick/
They have 20 shades and a few are on the softer side so I’m sure there will be something you’ll like. The texture is amazing – very sheer – and the price is right ($11.95).

Susan
Wednesday, May 26/2010 at 11:15 am

Thanks Michelle! I’ll have to keep an eye out for those Revlon lippies. One I just found that I really like is Pure Anada’s natural lipstick in Icy Pink. It’s a nice, soft shade of pink that isn’t too frosty. Good gosh, I already have a lip balm and lip gloss collection, now I’ll also have a lipstick collection! ;)

Wednesday, May 26/2010 at 11:54 am

Pure Anada? Will have to check it out… where did you buy? Just tried to get on their website but it’s gone down.

Susan
Wednesday, May 26/2010 at 4:38 pm

You can buy Pure Anada online at http://www.thepureboutique.com. I got my Pure Anada lipstick from our store (my Mom & I run a small boutique in Calgary Alberta called Chateau Country Lace). Anyway, I hadn’t tried Pure Anada’s lipstick (even though we’ve carried the line since October) before. I’ve used her glosses, which are fantastic. But I thought with all the lipstick that’s out now, I might as well give it a try. I love it! We actually need to do a Pure Anada reorder – we’re getting a bit low – I think we have a few lipsticks left – Cedar Rose & Chocolate Kiss.

Vee
Tuesday, January 18/2011 at 9:55 pm

My lip glosses have been neglected lately because I do agree, as you, that they seem to be dated. I have this orangey lip gloss that I still like and wear but on rare occassions (when I’m going for the glowy natural look). However, I’ve been using lipsticks with lip-balm underneath–more opaque as a stain or darker for more pigment. I never knew how much I would love lipstick because I’ve been a lip gloss girl forever.

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 6:22 pm

Same here! Now when I don’t wear lipstick, I will usually just go for a balm. Kind of over getting my hair stuck in the lip gloss as well. :-)

Tanveer
Wednesday, January 19/2011 at 7:21 am

Ok, confession time – I used to be a total gloss girl! When I read this article of your’s last summer – I thought – No Way, is lipgloss gonna go out of fashion.

But lo & behold, 7 mnths down the line – this self confessed gloss girl is a lipstick addict now. I have tons of lipsticks – right from Revlon Colorburst (6 of them!) to Maybelline Colorsensational to L’Oreal Color Riche. Just can’t get enough of them – my lipglosses are sitting unused & lipstick is my go-to.

I love reading your blog – not only are the articles fun, but they are also very informative. :D

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 6:24 pm

Hilarious! Glad you’re having fun with the lipsticks! Not sure if you saw this post but a few new options here you might like (sorry to be an enabler!!): http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/19/can-we-talk-about-lipstick-again-because-there-are-some-new-ones%E2%80%94and-balms-and-stains-and-liners-too%E2%80%94that-deserve-your-attention/