My new obsession: Maybelline New York The Falsies Volum’ Express Mascara

Maybelline New York Falsies Mascara ad

Sponsored

I just slicked on my sample of Maybelline New York’s new The Falsies Volum’ Express Mascara ($8.99, at drugstores and mass retailers) and I CANNOT STOP checking out my lashes in the mirror.

I’m not kidding! This stuff is seriously amazing—and you guys know I’ve tried A LOT of mascara in my time. For that reason alone, I’ll be honest: I wasn’t expecting at all that this would blow me away. But it did and now I’m obsessed (just like Ali over at ChickAdvisor promised I would be—she loves this stuff too). Here’s why.

Maybelline New York Falsies Mascara My new obsession: Maybelline New York The Falsies Volum Express Mascara

Maybelline New York knows mascara. In case you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know that Maybelline New York makes some of the world’s most popular and iconic mascaras (Great Lash or The Colossal, anyone?) But my sources tell me Volum’ Express is now the number one mascara franchise in the world, which tells you something, no?

The Falsies creates the look of false lashes. Let’s face it: most people look WAY better with longer, thicker lashes—so much so that false lashes, lash extensions and even treatments like Latisse (in the US) are increasingly popular. However, most of us don’t have the time, money or inclination for those things… and now that I can get a similar look with mascara, you better believe I’ll be using this stuff!

The formula contains volumizing agents and lengthening ingredients that really WORK. Maybelline New York calls them “Kera-Fibers”—but all you need to know is that they do their job and they do it well. The formula was specifically designed to be able to coat each individual lash very thoroughly, and it really does. (And not just at the base of your lashes, like some mascaras—this one gives amazing coverage from root to tip, so your lashes look instantly longer.)

The curved brush helps cover ALL your lashes, even the tiny ones. The brush is in the same curved shape as a pair of false lashes (of course), and it works surprisingly well at depositing product. On me, it filled in all the gaps and spaces in between my lashes, even the tiny inner and outer ones.

The result is lashes that have up to EIGHT TIMES more volume—a claim I can definitely attest is true.

Just a heads up: when you apply this product, it may feel like you’re depositing a lot more colour on your lashes than you’re used to. (The formula, to me, felt a bit thicker than some mascaras.) I was actually nervous that it would end up clumpy, but as long as you’re combing through with the brush, it really doesn’t. And I love that the result is a really dramatic, intense look—it really is like false lashes.

What do you think of this new mascara? Will you be ditching your false lashes and trying this? (For $8.99 I say what have you got to lose?)

Rae
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 10:05 am

I recently tried this out and I’m not that impressed with it. Maybe I’m still getting used to the curved brush applicator, but right now I’m not a fan. My lashes end up a bit clumpy, and I end up with A LOT of product on my lashes … and on my eyelid.

It seems to lengthen fine, but I don’t really see a difference in volume. My lashes need the super-mascara — length AND volume — and I’ve yet to find something that does both really well. Good volumizing: CoverGirl LashBlast. Good lengthening: Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto. Any suggestions for something that’ll do both … and actually work?

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:38 pm

Oh no! Well here is a suggestion: CoverGirl has a new mascara out (or coming out very soon – can’t remember) called LashBlast Fusion. It’s supposed to give volume + length. Haven’t tried yet so can’t comment on performance though… check Makeup Alley.
I really should do a mascara round-up post soon I guess!

Lydia
Tuesday, July 6/2010 at 12:08 am

My favorite mascara that i’ve ever purchased, is the loreal telescopic mascara. It works amazing for length. I usually use two different brands to get length and volume. A thinner brush for length, and a thicker one for volume.

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:39 pm

Hey – that’s a neat idea… never thought of using two different brands at once! I like the Telescopic too… actually even more than the Givenchy. Or maybe because I’m using the waterproof Givenchy – my bangs got stuck in my lashes, they were so sticky!

Chynna
Tuesday, July 13/2010 at 11:32 am

A picture is worth a thousand words, yet there isn’t one. That’s too bad, as they really help. I’m reallu surprised at the picture in the ad, too. That’s so obviously not an image of anyone’s real lashes. I tried this and, while it’s not a bad mascara, it certainly doesn’t deliver the look of flase eyelashes. The only thing flase about it is the advertising. Still, it did hold up without running under high temps and humidity when my AC went out, so I’d repurchase just based on that.

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:41 pm

No, definitely there was some creative Photoshopping with the lashes in the ad (like ALL beauty ads…sigh).
Glad you liked the product despite that.

Lily
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 9:57 pm

I fell sucker to the advertising campaigns and bought this mascara a few weeks ago and its the only mascara I’ve been using so far, but that doesn’t mean it’s my favorite. Don’t you notice a sort of stinging in your eyes from the invisible fumes that the mascara gives off? And I’m not so sure about the ‘false lashes’ look myself. It DOES lengthen and lift, but for me it doesn’t thicken (I get spider lashes instead *sadface*). I think lashblast still takes top spot when it comes down to drug store mascaras.

I love the packaging of this one though!

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:50 am

Hmm… no, didn’t notice any fumes, eeks! That doesn’t sound good.

I seem to have misplaced this one so can’t remember exactly what it did, but if I recall it didn’t go spidery on me. But my lashes are pretty wimpy to begin with.

Agree re: LashBlast—so many rave reviews of that one!

Allison
Wednesday, October 13/2010 at 5:41 pm

I think that Maybelline The Falsies mascra is awesome. It is very cool. I use this mascara everyday and always get compliments about my eyes. This is a great product to use, I would recomend it to anybody. (:

Friday, October 15/2010 at 5:35 pm

Glad to hear it Allison! Compliments are always a good sign :-)

Jessica
Saturday, January 8/2011 at 12:09 am

i tried it and loved it…until recently when around my eyes were getting sore, and dry….i havent done anything different except trying this mascara….it makes me mad because i really like this kinda.