My new summer makeup trick from The Body Shop’s Chase Aston

The Body Shop summer 2010 makeup collection model eyeliner bottom lid

I am SO all over this makeup trick lately. And I think you will be too.

It’s from The Body Shop‘s international makeup artist, Chase Aston, who I’d happily watch apply makeup all day long. That’s how good he is. (I love that when we met, he casually name-dropped famous models he’d been working with recently, except he wasn’t doing it in a show-offy way—that’s just normal to him! I don’t want to spill anything I’m not supposed to, but my internet sleuthing reveals that Chase has made up the faces of Cameron Diaz, Britney Spears, Kate Moss and Claudia Schiffer… wowza.)

Anyway, Chase was in town the other week to present what’s new for summer and fall, and as usual, demonstrated his mad makeup skillz on a couple of models. (Make sure you also check out my posts on the three looks he showcased last time he was in Toronto: bright makeup, day-to-night makeup and party makeup.) I’ve gotta say though, the look I’m showing you today is my hands-down favourite.

Let’s take a closer look… and I will reveal the how-to!

The Body Shop summer 2010 makeup 2 My new summer makeup trick from The Body Shops Chase Aston

Will you check out those EYES! That’s the “trick” part I’m referring to: what Chase did was line the inner part of the lower eyelid, which is something I’ve never in all these years thought to do! (Can you tell I’m excited about learning something new, for once?)

the body shop eyeliner My new summer makeup trick from The Body Shops Chase AstonUsually, I’ll do the inner rim (sometimes called the “waterline”) thing on BOTH the upper and lower lids, and mostly around the outer edges, when I want to make my eyes all sexy and smoky-looking. But there’s something VERY modern about lining just the bottom and extending it right to the inner corners of the eye, don’t you think? (Chase told me that’s actually where this technique started off… I assume back in the 80s.) I love that the effect is a very clean eye with just a bit of extra pow!

What to use: Chase used The Body Shop’s black Eye Definer pencil ($12, thebodyshop.ca), but any soft pencil should do the job. (Make sure it’s soft though—you don’t want any tugging in that delicate area.) If your liner tends to smudge on you, go for a waterproof or long-lasting liner (Lise Watier and YSL make particularly good ones).

As for the rest of the face: this looks amazing, as you can see, with a statement lip. I love this lipstick (I believe the shade is called Tomato Red), which is more summery than a traditional blue-red and has a texture that strikes just the right balance between matte and glossy.

the body shop delipscious balm My new summer makeup trick from The Body Shops Chase AstonIf you’re not digging lipstick, you could also do a tinted lip balm. I’m super impressed by The Body Shop’s Delipscious Tinted Lip Balm in Raspberry Crush ($10, thebodyshop.ca).

The other key to this look, according to Chase, is that the skin looks really FRESH. Don’t cake on the foundation (okay, you shouldn’t be doing that ANYWAY…); just conceal where you need it and try using a touch of highlighter on your cheeks to give your skin a bit of a glow.

And there you have it!

Do you love this look or what?
Have you ever lined the inner rim of your eyelids?
Does your ophthalmologist hate me now or what?

ChickAdvisor
Thursday, June 3/2010 at 10:13 am

Very natural and glowing skin! I like!

Anupa
Thursday, June 3/2010 at 12:29 pm

What did he use to get her cheeks glowing like that? Crazy!

Thursday, June 3/2010 at 1:33 pm

@Anupa – just checked my notes… He applied foundation with a blush brush (supposed to be less heavy-looking than a sponge), and then he spritzed with a facial mist to set. The cheeks have bronzer on them – I think it’s this one: http://www.thebodyshop.ca/bakedbronzer.html
You could also use a bit of this: http://www.thebodyshop.ca/radianthighlighter.html

Erin
Thursday, June 3/2010 at 5:25 pm

I’ve always done my liner like that!:) It’s the perfect “sexy eye” when I’m in a rush:P

Mara
Friday, June 11/2010 at 1:27 pm

Mmmm, i know this was a BodyShop piece, but Laura Mercier has the MOST perfect powder-to-gel wet liner (I used black ebony) and the MOST PERFECT brush to apply it with. I was in love from day 1.

Friday, June 11/2010 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the reco, Mara! Will have to try.

Susan
Monday, June 14/2010 at 1:29 pm

Gorgeous look! I’d never thought about doing just the inner part of the lower lid, either! I’ll have to try this out tomorrow. :)

Anissa
Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 12:32 pm

I’m a bit lost here, how is this a new trick? I’m 25 and I ‘ve been doing that on a daily basis since I’m 14, that’s the the kohl purpose! Even my great grand mother does it, it’s something quite traditional for Arab. If I want a natural kinda bare face style I just kohl on the inner paartof the lower eye lid, a bit of mascara, a bit of blush and a natural colored lipstick and it looks fantastic.

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:04 pm

Ok – guess it’s not new… just new to me! :-)

dee
Wednesday, July 7/2010 at 5:05 pm

lol this look is so common in the Indian subcontinent and Arabian countries

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:05 pm

Yes but I think this look is a little less dramatic – still a very clean eye with just the mascara on the upper lashes and no shadow.

Eli aka NC
Thursday, July 15/2010 at 5:30 pm

I agree with Anissa, I live in Spain and me and my friends have been lining our eyes this way our whole lives, LoL
I’ve just discovered your blog and I’m already addicted, I love it!

Saturday, July 17/2010 at 4:06 pm

Aw thank you! I guess a few of us Canadians are a bit behind on the ol’ eyeliner tricks. :-)