YSL just introduced the nicest, most goof-proof and longest-lasting eyeshadows and eyeliners I’ve ever tried (yes, really!)

YSL Ombre Solo Lasting Radiance Smoothing Eye Shadow and Dessin Du Regard Long-Lasting Eye Pencil

Eva—a.k.a Lowe—from Coco&Lowe made a comment the other day in my Babe in the Biz profile that she didn’t think eyeshadows were worth splurging on. (“What’s the difference anyway?” was her reasoning, if I recall correctly.)

Now, let’s just stop right there, because I beg to differ. I think there’s a BIG difference. Not just in packaging but in pigments, wearability and longevity.

And YSL’s new Ombre Solo Lasting Radiance Smoothing Eye Shadows ($32 each, at Holt Renfrew and select Bay and Murale stores) are hands-down, the best I’ve ever tried. (Do I need to remind you that I’ve tried A LOT of eye makeup over the years?)

(By the way, I might, because I’m in a YSL mood today, even go as far as saying that YSL is my all-around favourite makeup line. I know, I know… that’s a HUGE claim to make, given I’ve tried just about every line out there at every price point. And they are NOT paying me to say this. But consistently, I’m impressed—no, DELIGHTED—with their colours, textures and packaging in not just one category (like, say, lipstick), but in everything they make. For example: their summer collection just arrived and it is also a triumph. More on that soon.)

But back to eye makeup! Besides the shadows, also new are eyeliners: Dessin Du Regard Long-Lasting Eye Pencils ($28 each, also at Holt Renfrew, select Bay and Murale stores). And both together are so fantastic that I HAD to snap some pics of myself wearing them (even though I NEVER do this), just so you can see how great they are for yourself…

So here goes:

ysl ombre solo eyeshadow long lasting eye pencil demo YSL just introduced the nicest, most goof proof and longest lasting eyeshadows and eyeliners Ive ever tried (yes, really!)

The first shot is the “before”—although believe it or not, I’m actually wearing mascara. (It’s Revlon‘s new one—it’s very comme ci comme ça.)

In the second shot, I’ve got on more mascara, plus the YSL shadow in my favourite shade, Lunar Purple, and two eyeliners: Velvet Black (all the way around the waterline) and Purple Silk just under the lower lashes (the BEST trick I learned from celeb makeup artist Andrea Claire).

And in the third shot, I swept the shadow in Smoky Grey from lid to just above the crease, and then covered up the purple liner with Charcoal Grey.

Now: all of this took less than two minutes. That’s how sheer, blendable and easy to use these colours are. (Believe me, despite all the interviews I’ve done on them, I’m no smoky eye expert.) The liners, may I also add, glide, instead of tug (as cheaper ones are prone to doing) AND they come with a neat little blending tool on the opposite end.

In case you’re wondering, YSL had single-colour shadows and liners before, yes—but these have been reformulated with improved textures and pigments. AND they stay put a very, very long time. Normally, unless I wear waterproof shadows and liners, I’m creasing and smudging all over the place within a couple of hours. You get none of that here.

So—in a word—these are totally goof-proof, even for the eye makeup novice, and something I’d definitely buy even if they didn’t send me free samples. (That’s always the true test of beauty editor affection!)

I’ll leave you to browse the colour charts… And let me know in the comments: have you tried these yet? Or YSL makeup in general? What are YOUR fave eye makeup brands/shades?

ysl ombre solo eyeshadow colours YSL just introduced the nicest, most goof proof and longest lasting eyeshadows and eyeliners Ive ever tried (yes, really!)ysl long lasting eye pencil colours YSL just introduced the nicest, most goof proof and longest lasting eyeshadows and eyeliners Ive ever tried (yes, really!)

Jill D
Friday, June 11/2010 at 5:09 pm

great post. Although i had a different experience – I found the liners didn’t last on me at all (and I’m an eyeliner fiend, wear it everyday)!! The shadows were thumbs up, but found the liners aren’t as amazing as i wanted (or expected) them to be. they wore off and lost intensity throughout the day. But I do have oily skin, so maybe that’s the difference

Friday, June 11/2010 at 5:17 pm

Did you use any primer? Maybe that’s the difference – I’ve been using this one as a concealer lately (although I don’t think you’re supposed to) all the way around my eyes. http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/04/06/editors-pick-pandoras-makeup-box-eyelid-primer/

Maybe that’s what’s helping these liners last on me… although yes, I do agree with you that they lose intensity a little over the course of the day. Although on me they didn’t smudge (which to me is the most important feature)… they just faded a bit.

Also, I work from home so maybe I’m not exposed enough to the elements! If I’d worn them for my daily Yonge + Sheppard trek a few years ago that would have been the ultimate test! By the time you emerge from the subway up there half your makeup’s melted off and you feel like you’ve travelled 2000 miles.

Gimped
Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 5:58 pm

I’ve been on the hunt for a stay-put eyeliner for quite some time, but I can’t find anything that stays on the waterline. Using a primer helps it stay in place on the lower lid, but does nothing for the waterline. Will the YSL stand up? Or is this a common problem with liners and I’m just doomed? Nothing ruins a sexy smokey eye like ‘coon eyes.

Heard good things about the Tarina Tarantino Eye Dream Hyperliner but haven’t forked out the bucks for it yet. Any thoughts? http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P254902&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5970

Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 6:12 pm

@Gimped – I’ll have to research this more but with all the liners I’ve tried, even if they’re labelled as waterproof/long-lasting, they don’t stay put more than a few hours on the waterline. I’ll do a shout-out on Twitter to see if any of my beauty editor peeps have recommendations… personally I rotate between these YSL ones, Lise Watier, Chanel and M.A.C (Fluidline). Oh and Benefit’s BADgal waterproof liner isn’t bad. But nothing stands out as being perfect. I think Revlon has a Colorstay liner that you might want to try (I don’t have one but should work since the whole point of the line is to not budge).

Thanks for the tip about Tarina Taratino – I haven’t tried anything from that line yet so will investigate!

Gimped
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 10:16 am

Thanks, Michelle! I can’t believe I’ve never bought the Benefit BADgal liner!! And I call myself a Benefit addict …

Surprisingly, the ones I’ve had the MOST success with have been Avon’s Glimmersticks. I have a copper and a chocolate brown shade and they’re pretty good as far as wearability is concerned. But the last time I bought one it wasn’t marked as waterproof so maybe they’ve changed their formula. It’s the black liners that I use for going out at night that I have problems with … and are the ones that are the most noticeable when they travel south on my face.

Let me know if you hear anything on Twitter!!

Monday, July 5/2010 at 11:13 am

Post about to go up on this with some ideas – but if you’re looking for a nighttime black liner, maybe try a liquid one? (Revlon’s is quite good.) Those definitely don’t budge… only downside is you can’t really do the waterline thing with a liquid.