Check out this Vidal Sassoon makeover on BeautyEditor.ca reader Jen C.!

Post image for Check out this Vidal Sassoon makeover on BeautyEditor.ca reader Jen C.!

Remember the Valentine’s Day contest I ran back in January? The prize was a $350 hair makeover—including consultation, colour treatment, cut and style—at Sassoon Salon in Toronto.

Lucky Jen C. was the winner… and I’m THRILLED that she’s given me permission to share her before and after shots. Because who doesn’t love looking at a good makeover, right?

Above, her before… Now ready for the Big Reveal? Here’s the after:

Jen After Check out this Vidal Sassoon makeover on BeautyEditor.ca reader Jen C.!

Jen After2 Check out this Vidal Sassoon makeover on BeautyEditor.ca reader Jen C.!

Do you love it? I think it’s great! (Especially the profile shot—gorgeous!)

Sassoon is known, of course, for their precision cutting techniques, so you know lots of thought went into the layering here. Jen’s face shape is round, so I think the shorter pieces at the front, along with the overall length, are really flattering on her. (One-length cuts are not ideal on round face shapes.)

I’m a big fan of the slightly darker colour, too—it makes this look all shiny and swingy and glossy. And notice what it does for her skin. WOW! Suddenly her cheeks look rosier and her skin is all porcelain.

Overall, a very sophisticated, polished look. I can definitely see this with a bold red or fuchsia lip for evening!

ChickAdvisor
Monday, June 14/2010 at 4:08 pm

Gorgeous! The new look gives Jen more spunk!

Liza
Monday, June 14/2010 at 8:09 pm

Aww. You are like a gorgeous beauty fairy godmother. She must be so thrilled.

Pria
Tuesday, June 15/2010 at 3:21 pm

This haircut looks great on her and looks a lot lighter as well.
Speaking of haircuts, I live in Toronto/Mississauga area and need to find a good hairdresser, I have to been to sooo many places and cant seem to stick with one hairstylist that I like. I have paid $10-$55 for a haircut at different salons and I am now looking for someone reasonable perhaps under $40 or under, that does a great job. I always find hairdressers either cut too short, or dont cut enough off, and they dont seem to understand the styles that I want. Please help!

Monica
Tuesday, June 15/2010 at 3:32 pm

Looks really good! Looks healthier & yes I like the colour too & agree gives Jen more colour to the face.

Janelle
Wednesday, June 16/2010 at 11:04 am

:-S hm..maybe it’s becuase she’s smiling more in the after shot, but I think it makes her face look more rounded. Maybe sideswept bangs would have helped. Beautiful girl though…and I’d kill for that flawless skin!

Thursday, June 17/2010 at 11:05 am

Hmmm I know what you mean Janelle, but still think the layers around the face are needed. Maybe if she grows it a few inches longer. I still like the above-the-shoulders length. Looks more polished.

Thursday, June 17/2010 at 11:24 am

@Pria – that’s a tough question! What I would do is try calling different reputable salons (eg Marc Anthony, Fiorio, Civello, Coupe Bizzarre, Donato) and explaining what you want to pay – ask them if there is a junior stylist or apprentice who could do your hair for you. (They would be supervised by a more senior person so I don’t think you’d be risking a botched job… which I fear is what might happen if you go to a hole-in-the-wall place.)

There is also the option of going to a hair school where, again, you’d be supervised. Most seem a bit cheesy so the one I’d try is the Aveda Academy. It says on their site that haircuts are only $35. http://www.aveda-academysalon.ca/home.html

I hope that helps! I’ll re-post this in its own post in case any readers have other suggestions for you.

Pria
Friday, June 18/2010 at 1:02 am

Thanks so much! It’s hard finding a good place to stick with.