Trend alert: Short, rounded nails

nail trend short and rounded squoval square

What shape do you file your nails in?

I used to be a die-hard “squoval” girl—that’s industry lingo for a squared-off oval shape—but lately, it’s short, rounded nails, preferably polished in a bright colour, that look most modern to me. (That pinky-red above? Perfection. The shade is OPI Most Honorable Red. A close match to it is Zoya nail polish in Max.)

And it seems like others agree—StyleList.com just proclaimed square nails “dated” and the squoval “too masculine.” Short, rounded nails, however, have been spotted at Tracy Reese and, of course, at Chanel (remember the detail shots of Particulière that everyone went crazy for before it even launched?).

So tell me what you think:

Photo: Primped.com.au

Crystal
Wednesday, June 16/2010 at 5:28 pm

Yeah I’ve noticed that square or squoval nails are starting to look dated. A few years ago, oval nails looked dated now oval and rounded nails are modern. I recently filed my nails into an oval shape after seeing the latest Dior shows, and it’s actually much more practical for me because there are no corners for my nails to chip off.

P.S. If anyone hasn’t checked out the Dior Fall 2010 show, it’s awesome and features oval “manikin hand” nails.

Thursday, June 17/2010 at 11:09 am

Glad you agree Crystal! Just checked the Dior nails and LOVE them – the shape, colour everything. I wonder what polish they they used – it’s SO hard to find a good nude like that. I tried Chanel’s Inattendu (from the same collection as Particuliere) and it looked awful on me. The Dior one looks really pretty.

Pr
Sunday, June 27/2010 at 5:22 pm

Hi, are there any nail polishes that are actually good for your nails and wont harm them, I really want something free of chemicals that wont harm my nails, is there anything available in toronto?

Friday, September 3/2010 at 12:57 pm

Hey Pr – just gave your question its very own post (sorry it took so long to get around to this one… lots of information to cover!)

Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 6:52 pm

@Pr – Great question. I’ll try to do a bit more research so I can address this in a post of its own… but off the top of my head, the only brand that comes to mind is Suncoat. It’s water-based and free of all the major chemicals (DBP, toluene, formaldehyde) and you can buy it at Whole Foods. (At least I bought mine there a couple years ago.) I didn’t find the results too great and the texture was very runny, so I switched back to Zoya – but I’ll have to give it another test drive and report back.

Oh and just thought of one more – Sula is water-based too, but it’s a peel-off polish so only lasts a day before it starts looking chipped and you’ll want to start picking at it.

In the meantime this is a really great article and quite eye-opening. Some polishes don’t market themselves as being chemical-free at all – and yet they’re “healthier” than other brands (like ahem…Butter London) that are always pushing the “Big 3 Free” angle!

Pria
Thursday, July 1/2010 at 4:38 am

Hi, so I was watching this documentary today called “lethal cosmetics”, I think every girl and woman out there should watch or at least be aware that certain cosmetics have some really harmfull chemicals in them, some can even cause cancer which is really scary.
I was also going through some of my nail laquers and noticed some that were older smelled really really strongly of chemicals. My mom always tells me after a year or even less you should not use certain cosmetics, because apparently makeup has an expiry date too.
Hopefully you guys can do some kind of article on this, to make women aware because some lipsticks and eyeliners have been found to have lead in them, nail polish can contain DBP, toluene, formaldehyde. so I thnk it is important for people to be aware. I have friends who are total makeup junkies and have tons of makeup from years ago they barely even used I think we need to start throwing away old makeup especially if you can smell chemicals in them.
thanks! and here are some articles that are interesting:

shelf life of makeup estimate: