For reals? This makeup is from… Mary Kay?

Mary Kay Cheek Glaze in Pomegranate

I’m not sure why, but in the 5+ years I’ve been in this business, I never actually laid eyes on any products from Mary Kay (marykay.ca). Nor did I seek them out—like other direct sellers, including Avon, you have to buy through a consultant (in person or online), so I pretty much wrote them off as “not for me.” (I don’t know about you, but I sort of shy away at the idea of having to go through a salesperson to buy stuff, lest they try to “upsell me,” etc.) Plus (and sorry Mary Kay PR), but the brand just didn’t have that trendy of an image.

But you know what? I think I was missing out, because Mary Kay just sent me some products and they ROCK.

My favourite of all (pictured above) is the limited-edition Cheek Glaze in Pomegranate ($20, marykay.ca), which I first heard about through Janine at BeautyGeeks and subsequently Karen at Health & Swellness. So much love for this little pot of tinted goodness! And they were right to rave: it’s one of the easiest-to-blend and universally flattering cheek tints I’ve used, and now finds its home in my handbag every day. Isn’t the packaging very Bobbi Brown-esque?

The texture is a sheer gel (but don’t worry, it stays very solid in the pot) and you can build it to get the colour intensity you want. It’s also available in Tangerine, which as you might guess, is much more orangey. But act fast! Since these are limited-edition, they won’t be around for long.

I also like the limited-edition Cooling Bronzing Stick ($25), which debuted on June 16th:

MK BronzingStick For reals? This makeup is from... Mary Kay?

The cooling sensation feels neat, and in the summer, I love anything in a stick because it’s so easy to apply. Also, if you’re like me and slightly afraid of overdoing it on bronzer (Lindsay Lohan cautionary tale, anyone?), this is ideal. The lightweight creamy gel texture is easy to blend until you get the level of colour that you want, and then dries pretty quickly so it doesn’t smear or melt off.

Warning: it does have some shimmer, so I suggest sticking to your cheeks and maybe a teensy touch along the hairline… NOT your chin or nose, or you’ll look like a disco ball.

And finally, they also make some pretty great Liquid Lip Colors ($17.50 each), also available June 16th. Here’s what they look like:

MKLiquidLip RaspberryIce OpenTube For reals? This makeup is from... Mary Kay?And here are the shades:

MKLiquidLip AllShades Smear For reals? This makeup is from... Mary Kay?Notice how opaque these are? Yep—they’re actually lip COLOURS, not lip glosses. (And you know, if you read my pro-lipstick post the other week, that I’m a bit anti-gloss these days.)

These do have a bit of shine, but unlike your typical gloss, they also have A LOT of pigment. (Which is why I think they’re so great!) My favourite colours are Sherbet (the lovely coral second from the top, above) and Malted (the shade at the bottom), a lovely nude I’ll wear with my Coco Rocha-inspired cat-eye makeup. Best of all, they don’t feel goopy or sticky on your lips.

All in all, I’m more than impressed! Maybe even enough to deal with a real live MK salesperson, even!

So now tell me… Am I the only one who’s been missing out on Mary Kay all these years? Have you ever tried their stuff? What do you like/love?

Kate
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 10:26 am

I saw Janine’s post (BeautyGeeks) last week and want to know where/how to get my hands on some Mary Kay? I completely agree with you. I feel like I’m missing out. I would definitely be interested in the cheek stain and the lip colour… the minimalist packaging is the seller for me (aside from your great review!)

PKB
Thursday, July 29/2010 at 4:57 pm

ebay!

Vivian Chan
Saturday, August 7/2010 at 1:17 am

Hi Kate,

Depending on where you live, you can go to marykay.com (for US) or marykay.ca (for Canada) and look for an independent beauty consultant closest to you and make arrangements with them for a complimentary pampering session to try the Mary Kay product before you decide to buy.

Rhonda
Tuesday, November 16/2010 at 6:27 pm

Hello Kate!

If you are looking for a Mary Kay consultant and you are in the Toronto area, email me! I am a consultant and I would be happy to help you!

Thursday, June 17/2010 at 10:33 am

Hi Kate, if you go to their website I think how the process works is that they put you in touch with one of their consultants to “help” you shop online. (My understanding is that it can still all be done online though – I don’t think they make you meet in person.)
Here is the link: http://www.marykay.ca/locator.aspx?tab=Home
You will LOVE the cheek stain – coolest product I’ve seen in a very long time!

Heather anne Bueltemann
Saturday, April 30/2011 at 4:44 pm

No you do not have to meet:) http:www.marykay.com/hbueltemann

Kelly Schelske
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 12:22 pm

I LOVE Mary Kay! I am a personal use consultant and have been for a few years now. Totally lovin the cheek stain!!

Michelle (LipstickRules)
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 1:56 pm

I agree completely! I never paid much attention to the brand before but the products that are coming out are fantastic — and I LOVE these Liquid Lip Colors!

Heather anne Bueltemann
Saturday, April 30/2011 at 4:40 pm

I sell it but I keep stealing inventory from myself! Especially the weekenders!

ChickAdvisor
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 2:41 pm

I’m crazy about the liquid lip colours too! My fave is Cherry Coffee!

Jill D (29secrets.com)
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 2:53 pm

Diana Carreiro (one of my fave makeup artists) always uses Mary Kay on set. Have you heard about their conventions in Dallas?! Apparently it’s beauty gong show. Hello, Texas beauty enthusiasts!!

Monday, July 26/2010 at 10:34 pm

Someone needs to do a story on that, methinks! I wish magazines still sent people on assignment (i.e. for non-BJ type pieces). I would go undercover to Texas for sure!

solorange
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 3:36 pm

mk’s ultimate mascara is amazing, too

sarah
Thursday, June 17/2010 at 6:20 pm

I used to think MK was for old people too (my aunt used to sell it, I was just reminded of pink plastic cases and purple eyeshadow to her eyebrows). But it is SO NOT that anymore m- so much more trendy and young! I love their mineral powder foundation!!

Angela Dawn
Friday, June 18/2010 at 12:05 pm

I have been a consultant for 4 years now…started in my mid 20′s…I have introduced so many “younger” ladies to the brand! And they LOVE it! As I do! The new packaging has come a long way from your Grandmother’s Mary Kay. They have a range of products for all ages and skin types! You can email me if you ever want to try anything. I’ll have it shipped right to your door! Great blog…keep up the amazing work!

Bev
Friday, June 18/2010 at 12:21 pm

I am a career consultant with Mary Kay and Michelle is right! You go to our general website – enter your info (name, location) and a local registered consultant will contact you. Never worry about the upselling – we are all about ‘what is best for you’!! It is incredible product (all of it) and you are all sooooooo missing out! We will personalize your products around you desires and lifestyle. You can also try our ‘personalized virtual makeovers with your own uploaded photograph’. Have a GREAT DAY and WEEKEND!

Carol Thompson
Friday, June 18/2010 at 2:51 pm

I love love love the new products and the new eye colours. Not only is Mary Kay fashion-forward, we’re also committed to get you EXACTLY what you need. No more trips to the drugstore at 10 pm, after running out of moisturizer. We offer one-on-one service, 100% refund/exchange if something isn’t perfect for you, and customizable “looks”. I love being trendy and fashion-forward — and I love that Mary Kay offers the best products in the world.

Allison
Friday, June 18/2010 at 3:24 pm

Hey I had the same feeling about MK. I have always thought of it as my granny’s makeup! I recently …and reluctantly had a party. I ended the party with a whole new outlook on the products and a new career . MK is really all about women…..why shouldn’t we support it. The company works to make women successful and also to help all women look and feel fantastic! Who wouldn’t want that. So from one skeptic to all others,Try it! —it will change your life, in one way or another. If you are looking for a consultant I’m your gal. Alli:)

Janine
Friday, June 18/2010 at 8:51 pm

Told ya! *grin* Diana Carreiro has been raving about their colour cosmetics for AGES. I use the eyeshadows in my kit, too — the artist’s palette was the first good-looking update a few years back — and as you know I have a serious heart-on for the cheek tint. I haven’t tried the new lip colours yet; looking forward to it.

Diana also likes their eye makeup remover; I have that on deck to try at some point too.

Monday, July 26/2010 at 10:36 pm

If Diana says it’s good stuff then I am SOLD! :-)

Sharon Ouellette
Saturday, June 19/2010 at 12:14 am

The nice thing about Mary Kay products is every time you think the products have outdone themselves they just get better all the time….and the younger generation is lovin it too!!
Did you know that the eye makeup remover is so gentle you could take off your eye makeup with your contact lenses still in…honestly we just tried it to prove the point and for cleaning your makeup brushes it is fantastic keeps the brush still soft and ready to use right away….just a few tips from the Applause Magazine…I can’t wait to get it every quarter just to absorb all the info and read about all our super consultants progress….woo hoo to all the successful M.K. ladies….
S.O. Consultant in Red Jacket and building her team..

Wendy S.
Saturday, June 19/2010 at 1:54 am

Mary Kay is definitely trendy and up-to-date with the latest fashions. Not only does Grandma love the products so does her great granddaughter……Mary Kay is for everyone (men love it too). I’m excited to try the new products and share them with my customers. Instead of being skeptical, “Try before you buy” by contacting an Independent Beauty Consultant near you. Even if you don’t get the opportunity to try before you buy, with Mary Kay’s 100% satisfaction guarantee it’s a win – win situation. Thanks for the informative blog. Great topic. Women love to talk makeup.

Jennifer Watson
Saturday, June 19/2010 at 3:53 pm

I’ve used MK for about 20 of the past 30 years – When I moved to another city, I couldn’t find anyone who sold it so I did the unthinkable – was never satisfied because products didn’t do what they claimed they would do. I’ve tried most from the department store products to imported and expensive salon products. NOTHING can touch MK products in my opinion and no other company offers a 100% guarantee if you aren’t satisfied. But, that’s only the beginning because as a consultant I can also tell you that being part of this company is one of the most rewarding life time experiences a woman can have. Whether you stay with it for a career or do it for just a short time, the lessons you learn will help to futher your success. THE Mary Kay products and the Company really ROCK!.

Louise
Sunday, June 20/2010 at 4:28 pm

I’ve been a MK product user for about 28 years and a consultant for about 23 years and have never been disappointed in any of their products. I hope you all spread the word, outside of this site, and make more women and men happier in their lives feeling great about themselves. Thank you for posting this on beautyeditor.ca.

Cindy Ells
Monday, June 21/2010 at 3:44 pm

I as well am a personal use consultant and they continually amaze me with the outstanding quality of new products that they keep coming out with. I LOVE it!!

Kelinda Sloan
Wednesday, June 23/2010 at 4:31 pm

I love the new products. The Liquid Lip colour lasts and last with a minty refreshing colour. The bronzing stick is as cool as it gets. I love my cheek glaze. The colour is perfect for adding some pop to a Summer tan. I also use it at a lip colour over our lip balm.

Misschris
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 9:46 pm

I’m sorry — seems like everyone loves the new cheek tint except me :( A good friend of mine is a Mary Kay consultant and offered me the Pomegranate cheek tint for my bday (and to entice me to start using MK products, lol!). I was super excited about this product, but the few times I’ve used it, I found that the colour wears off by midday! It looks great in the morning when I put it on, then vanishes throughout the day. Am I the only one to whom this has happened? Michelle, any tips for additional staying power for this product? Looooooove the website, BTW, keep up the amazing work!!! :)

Thursday, July 22/2010 at 1:02 pm

Oh no! So I guess it’s not living up to the “stain” part on you is it?

What’s your skin type and what are you using on it before you apply your makeup? I’m thinking that if your skin is on the oily side, that might be why it’s vanishing so quickly. Could you get away without moisturizer on your cheeks? That might help.

Also, are you using a primer? I’m a huge fan of them and they really do work to keep makeup from melting off. Even if you just put it on your cheeks under the blush it might help a lot. (As you might not want/need to wear it all over your face everyday.)

And if that doesn’t work, you could also try layering a powder blush with the stain. I know that sounds a bit silly but I will often use two blushes to get the effect I want. Might give it a bit more staying power. (Order of application = stain or cream blush, THEN powder on top.)

Let me know if that helps at all!

Misschris
Thursday, July 22/2010 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for the tips, Michelle!

I have tried using the MK tint under my Bobbi Brown powder blush a few times and it does help, but I do wish I could just wear the tint on its own, especially in the summer. I have combination skin, my cheeks need moisture, so you’re right, this could be the culprit! Instead, I’ll try using a primer underneath (been waiting to use my MUFE HD Primer deluxe sample for a while – this could be the perfect opportunity!)

Thanks again for the tips, I’ll let you know how it goes! :)

Monday, July 26/2010 at 10:39 pm

I hope it works for you! Let me know. Otherwise maybe you need to do a stronger stain… eg. Benetint et al. (although I tend not to use those too much as they’re so tricky – you have to work so fast to blend before they dry)

Sarah
Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 1:59 am

I became a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant a few months ago and their products are incredible. I joined for some extra spending money, and thought it would be fun. Now, not a day goes by where I’m not amazed by these products. I didn’t even think I needed to switch skin care regimens until I tried the product and realized what I have been using really was NOT working for me. Mary Kay is a great company with great products and great morals. I have yet to be disappointed. I am so glad I got started and I hope I can keep moving forward:)

Jennifer Mendes
Monday, September 13/2010 at 12:42 am

I have to agree! I have tried to switch products and now that I am a consultant I can’t really remember why i switched. They are very innovative with their products and strive to meet what customers want. I am a new independent beauty consultant hoping to earn extra money to pay off student loans.

Debbie Kennedy
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:17 pm

I am relativley new to Mary Kay having begun using it last spring …. however it sure had an instant impact on me as I “begged” my consultant to recruit me and we didn’t even get a chance to do a full facial!! I have NEVER had any product feel so great on my skin and create such a huge difference in how I look …even without colour cosmetics. As for colour, if you like the spring and summer looks… the fall/holiday line is going to really get you excited.

kerin
Friday, October 22/2010 at 4:33 pm

I’m also a complete convert! My friend became a consultant last year so I purchased some things to support her new endeavor. Now I’m hooked! I LOVE the Serum C and the eye firming cream, can’t live without the dermabrasion kit and the moisturizers are light and work great. Even the eye makeup remover is some of the best I’ve used, the makeup just instantly melts off. My new favorites are the bronzer stick (which I use sparingly on cheekbones and my eyelids) for a little pop, and the lipsticks are beautiful. Who would have thought?? I would highly recommend everyone try this make up…it’s not your grandmother’s Mary Kay anymore!!!!

Cassy
Sunday, April 24/2011 at 7:32 pm

I’ve been a Consultant for a few months (I’m 18) and I find that the products (especially now) are really targeting ALL age groups. Yes, the focus is very much so anti-aging, and skincare, but the glamor is AMAZZING. My favourite of my own products are the cream blush, the creme lipstick, the eyeshadows, the liquid eyeliner, the 3-in-1 cleanser, satin-lips. I’m an avid makeup user and as soon as I tried mary kay’s makeup I didn’t look back (except for the products I couldn’t get with mary kay but those are few and far between) and even though I’m not a huge lip-gloss girl I still love them!

Kate
Monday, July 4/2011 at 4:12 am

Please, whatever you do, do not purchase any Mary Kay products from EBay. Consultants are NOT allowed to use ebay as it is in breech of their consultant contract. Go to your MK site at http://www.marykay.ca and click ‘shop online’ at the top and it will search the database for a consultant in your geographic area. It’s that simple!

Joy
Tuesday, July 22/2014 at 3:32 am

I am a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant myself and I love the liquid lip color – sherbet. My friend even took it from me coz she loves it too!