How much better does Miley Cyrus look without those extensions? Plus! Post-extension hair tips

Miley Cyrus without hair extensions

I’ll never forget the money quote from an interview I did once with supermodel Coco Rocha. She said: “I can’t stand fake anything—even fake handbags!”

This is a sound philosophy of life, ladies. Because—and wait for the beauty angle—I really don’t like hair extensions. A.k.a. fake hair.

Sorry to anyone who thinks they’re a good look, but I think that 99 percent of the time, you can tell they’re there. (See: here. Although in Kate Gosselin‘s case, they were actually an improvement.) And is it really that attractive to be going around with hot, sweaty, likely smelly pelts woven to your scalp?

This is why I’m very, very happy that Miley Cyrus ditched hers. For now.

Doesn’t this shoulder-sweeping length look a zillion times better? fresher? younger? (Although yes, I recognize that looking her age might not be what she’s going for. I blame Billy Ray for the poor parenting.)

Tell me what you think in the comments—and if you’re an extension wearer thinking about taking YOURS out, here are some tips from NYC celebrity stylist Riccardo Maggiore. (Don’t worry, if you take them out we’ll pretend this whole thing never happened. I promise.)

Restore thinned hair by playing with texture: “A common result of having extensions is thinning hair due to their weight and the tension they can put on the scalp. On the other hand, your newfound short length gives you the ability to really work volume into the hair. Really learn to play with texture and body to give your hair a fuller appearance.”

Find a flattering cut: “Most women will find that they’ll need a trim afterward, which may be a bit scary after already losing the length given through extensions. Ask your stylist to give you long, choppy layers, which will help you keep the overall length of your hair, but also help to get rid of any dry, brittle ends.

Switch up your beauty regime: “Try switching to a volumizing shampoo and conditioner. When shampooing, take your time to massage the shampoo into your roots to stimulate the scalp, which can help with hair growth. Also be sure to use conditioner only on the ends or else you’ll risk weighing down your entire look.”

nora
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 9:46 am

confession: i had extensions once. when they came out, so did half of my real hair. i don’t think i’ve fully recovered to this day.

Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 10:42 am

You did?!? I’m so shocked – okay, I take back what I said… they must have looked good on YOU. (Not like this lady: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/04/07/this-woman-spends-47000-on-hair-extensions-makes-beauty-editors-cry/)
The fact that you end up with less hair than you started with, though, is scary. I guess that’s why our friend JA never takes hers out.

Ava
Sunday, August 1/2010 at 11:22 am

She looks a lot better w/out them.. She should so leave them out!!! :) But I have to say, I actually thought it was her real hair… So now I’m not jealous!! :) LOL
Ok, that’s all…
<3 Avaaa

Thursday, August 5/2010 at 2:04 pm

Glad you agree! She actually looks her age now.

Hana
Monday, August 9/2010 at 1:33 pm

I used to think Miley looked better with long hair but I love the shoulder-length tousled, highlighted look, especially when she pulled it back in a bun, the platinum highlights drew nice attention to her face.

Tuesday, August 10/2010 at 11:26 am

Oh I haven’t seen her with it pulled back – will have to look that up. I hope she keeps up with this more natural look…

hoola boola
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 5:47 pm

She looks better with her own hair. Those extensions not only look fake but all the starlets have the exact same look which gets really boring and like they’re just trying to fit in.

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:03 pm

True! (Although now quite a few of them are getting this long bob…”lob”… cut)

shelby
Tuesday, November 9/2010 at 4:20 pm

I wear clip ins almost daily and, although i do agree that often you can tell when a girl has extensions (the real extensions) but i think i do an awesome job with my clip ins, i mostly wear them for work and when i go in without them and ppl think i cut my hair and i reply “no im just not wearing my extensions” they can not believe that i use extensions, they all say that they look so natural and you cant even tell, i guess my natural hair is on slightly long, a few inches past my shoulders so i mostly use my extensions for volume, but yah it is super tacky when you can see a girls clips or when her hair is neck length and you can totally see her one length extensions. gross. and miley looks WAY better!

Monday, November 22/2010 at 7:10 pm

Ok – sounds like you’re one of the exceptions to the extensions rule – you know how to wear ‘em! I agree, they are great for adding volume… as long they’re not too long and are the right colour. Basically the opposite of what Britney Spears does on any given day :-)

Kymm
Friday, November 19/2010 at 11:04 pm

Miley your hair looks better long so let yours grow shoulder length is okay
but it looks nicer longer you can always put a wig on for shorter hair or vice versa. I just love long hair when it is not straggley. as long as it looks healthy, Oh and You Rock girl….

rebecca
Saturday, January 15/2011 at 11:45 pm

OMG, i knew miley had extentions since day 1.
it looks beyond fake.
i mean she can buy $24,000 dollar weave in extentions imported from italy,
but she cant fix her teeth? like it just doesnt seem right.
OR, she can pay a little more to get her hair look a bit more natural! it just looks so fake.

ariana graham
Saturday, October 6/2012 at 7:10 pm

she looks ugly without extensions

What's Next Bitch
Wednesday, July 31/2013 at 9:39 am

I was always jealous of her perfect hair .. now I know why it was that perfect.. it was fake!!