Why the new and improved Pantene pretty much rocks (trust me, I saw up close!)

New Pantene collection hair

I washed my hair this morning with the new Pantene (yes, the revamped line I’ve been talking up has finally hit stores) and I thought, “Teca made this!”

Teca, you see, is Teca Gillespie, a beauty scientist for P&G and probably the most atypical science person I’ve ever come across. (She’s young, gorgeous, has a kick-ass sense of humour, AND she wears cute dresses and hair accessories. Check out her pic below!)

Although we’ve met before (when she’s presented at media events in Toronto), last week I got to see her in action at her home base: P&G’s global headquarters in Cincinnati.

Teca Gillespie 222x300 Why the new and improved Pantene pretty much rocks (trust me, I saw up close!)(Lucky me! I was part of a small group of U.S. and Canadian bloggers—including iVillage, AOL/StyleList, Real Beauty, Total Beauty, Glo, The Glamazons, Accidental Sexiness and BeautyGeeks—that P&G hosted for a few days.)

Now usually, my eyes glaze over when brands do their “aren’t we great” spiel, but what Teca showed us blew me away. Seriously—the work that goes into this stuff seems on par with building spaceshuttles for NASA, people. I’m not kidding.

Before a product ever makes it on store shelves, P&G tests everything. And I really do mean everything. P&G employs the highest concentration of PhDs in the U.S. (!!) and they make all these incredibly cool machines that measure things like how easy it is to comb through your hair after you shampoo it, versus running your fingers through it in a “combing” motion, versus smoothing the top of your hair with your hands. Yes, they have tests for all of these things—and that’s just the tip of the iceberg!

This is why you can’t assume that more expensive products are better products. I mean, I love a niche brand as much as the next girl, but chances are it doesn’t have this kind of brainpower behind it.

Now a bit about the line itself: it’s divided into four subcategories: Fine, Medium/Thick, Curly and Colour-Treated. Colour trumps everything else, so if you colour or highlight your hair (or chemically straighten or perm it), this is the pillar you should choose.

Pantene event Shagg Why the new and improved Pantene pretty much rocks (trust me, I saw up close!)Now is where it gets interesting. Within each subcategory, you can choose the end look you’re going for. So since I’m in the Colour-Treated section, I can choose between Shine, Volume and Smooth.

I’ve been using the Volume products and I’m not lying when I say I really, really like them. The old Pantene used to be too moisturizing for my hair, but this stuff is lightweight without leaving my ends feeling dry, as some volume products tend to do. (For proof, here’s a pic from the media event a little while ago—that’s Justin German, consulting stylist for Pantene and co-owner of Shagg Salon in Toronto, who did my blowout.)

And honestly—you know they’re going to come up with something pretty great after spending FIVE years developing it, testing it on 20,000 women and screening one million ingredient combinations!

Hit up Pantene’s online personal consultation tool to find the products in the line that are right for your hair type.

And let me know in the comments: have you tried this line? What do you think?

Gimped
Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 1:48 pm

Can’t WAIT to try this line!! It’s so nice to find a volumizing shampoo that’s safe for colour-treated hair … that doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg at a fancy salon.

Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 5:43 pm

I know! Let me know how it works for you!

Michelle (LipstickRules)
Tuesday, June 29/2010 at 10:08 pm

I have a ‘regular’ bottle of Pantene in rotation in my bathroom and the other day I almost picked up one of these new products. I might just have to (tomorrow!)and see how it works. Thanks for the review Michelle! Always so informative.

Michelle

Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 12:55 pm

My pleasure! Let me know how you like it. For under $10 I don’t think you can really go wrong!

Jenny
Tuesday, July 6/2010 at 12:06 pm

i’ve been using this new pantene line for about 3 weeks now! i have the fine + volume shampoo and conditioner and i’m still getting used to the less thicker conditioner! my last pantene conditioner was thick and got rid of my tangles in a jiffy, the new one not so much . . . BUT i’m surprised how the conditioner is still taking care of my dry ends! :)

and i sooooo admire Teca! i’m a recent B.Sc graduate and my dream job would be a beauty scientist!!

Tuesday, July 6/2010 at 6:50 pm

@Jenny – I know what you mean about the conditioner, but I guess they needed to lighten it up so that you get the volume. Have you tried using a comb in the shower to work it through your tangles? I find that sometimes helps… I have tons of tangles from highlighting the top layer of my hair.

Alana
Monday, August 16/2010 at 1:45 pm

I’ve been using the Pantene Medium to Thick/Frizzy to Smooth shampoo and conditioner (separates, not the 2 in 1) for a few weeks now, and I thought I’d comment on this post to say how impressed I am! I’ve used Pantene for a long time (it’s good bang for your buck, in my opinion), but I’m so glad they reformulated! I have VERY thick hair, which, if left to air-dry will go completely huge and frizzy and crazy. The Frizzy to Smooth products not only tamed my hair, but it is SO SOFT. So soft!!!! I always longed for the softness that girls with thinner hair have…and now I have it too! I am officially a fan, and would totally recommend this.

(I do have one small complaint, which is that my hair is a tad bit harder to curl now, as my natural waviness has also been tamed, but…small price to pay for soft, smooth hair!!!)

Wednesday, August 18/2010 at 11:43 am

So glad to hear you’re loving it Alana! Honestly, the amount of work P&G puts into formulating these products is incredible… their labs have tests for every possible thing you could imagine. So not surprised it’s made a huge difference with the frizz! (Speaking of frizz, I also just did a post the other day on a couple of new frizz products… but they are def more pricey than Pantene! http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/08/12/the-difference-between-good-frizz-and-bad-frizz%E2%80%94and-the-products-you-need-for-each/)

I wonder what would cause it to be harder to curl. I’m going to find this out!

Monday, August 23/2010 at 1:53 pm

Hey Alana – I checked with the scientist who formulated it and she said:

Its harder to curl b/c its so well conditioned there’s no ‘grip’ anymore…needs to use a styling product