Beauty editors heart this makeup: Vapour Organic Beauty

Vapour Organic Beauty

You know if beauty editors at Allure, Lucky, More, BlackBook, Redbook, New Beauty and BellaSugar are raving about something, it’s GOT to be good.

Now you can add me to that list because I’ve completely fallen for Vapour Organic Beauty’s fantastically easy-to-use makeup. So much so that it falls into the very rare category (for a beauty editor who gets freebies all the time) of makeup that I’ll actually BUY when I run out.

Even though I heart a handful of other natural makeup lines—Josie Maran, Revolution Organics and Dr. Hauschka are all great—I’m usually underwhelmed by most of what’s out there. I love my makeup to be chemical-free and all, but if it doesn’t perform, there is no point.

Eric Sakas 300x227 Beauty editors heart this makeup: Vapour Organic BeautyBut what first caught my eye about this brand was its connection to the co-founder of Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, Eric Sakas. Eric was the business partner (and former boyfriend) of the late and great makeup artist Kevyn Aucoin. Now I haven’t tried too many things from the Kevyn Aucoin Beauty line, but what I HAVE tried has been amazing.

So you could say Eric has an eye for quality. And that’s how he came to know Vapour: he received an unlabelled sample of the then-fledgling line and was so blown away by the texture, performance and finish that he partnered with the manufacturer himself in order to bring a high-quality organic makeup line to women everywhere.

Vapour Atmosphere Foundation 273x300 Beauty editors heart this makeup: Vapour Organic BeautyThe star product (which I WILL buy again) is the Atmosphere Luminous Foundation ($41, vapourbeauty.com), which I mentioned the other day in my travel essentials post. It comes in a stick, which you just swipe in the areas where you need coverage, and then blend with your fingers. Could it be any easier? Now I never want to bother fiddling with liquid foundation, sponges and brushes again! I love everything about this: the texture (it glides easily but is not silicone-y), the coverage (not too much or too little), the purity (it’s 100% natural and chemical-free) and the formulation (it doesn’t settle into fine lines AND it’s got oil-controlling silica).

Vapour Organic Beauty Aura Multi Use Blush 205x300 Beauty editors heart this makeup: Vapour Organic BeautyAlso great are the blushes—like the foundations, they come in chubby sticks that you just swipe on and blend with your fingers. If you like flat colours, go for the Aura Multi-Use Blush for Lips, Cheeks and Eyes ($32.50, vapourbeauty.com). The Aura Radiant Blush ($32.50, vapourbeauty.com) has a bit of sparkle.

They even make a little eyeshadow stick, which is a format I’ve never seen before! The Mesmerize Eye Color ($18.25, vapourbeauty.com) is, again, great for travel and gives you that smudgy eye look. They even have something called the Stratus Instant Skin Perfector ($40, vapourbeauty.com), which you apply under foundation to brighten and even out your skin tone.

So basically? I want EVERYTHING in this line. (Well, except for the lip gloss—my sample separated so now all I’m getting out is the clear oily stuff, no colour.)

You can buy Vapour Organic Beauty in Canada exclusively through The Shopping Channel (theshoppingchannel.com).

Let me know in the comments if you’ve tried anything from this line and if so, how you liked it!

Jenncharina
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 12:33 pm

Is there a retail store where we can test the shades?

Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 12:42 pm

@Jenncharina – they don’t, unfortunately… but I found the photos on their website made it really easy for me to choose my right foundation shade. Go here and click on the tab that says “How to wear” http://www.vapourbeauty.com/Foundation-Concealer-and-Face-Makeup/Vapour-Organic-Beauty-Atmosphere-Luminous-Foundation.asp
You just choose the model and description that is the closest match.

Also, not sure what The Shopping Channel’s return policy is – but the Vapour website says they do ship internationally and they will return within 30 days “if the product does not meet your expectations.”

Lia
Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 3:58 pm

hi – I’m the Promotions & PR manager at The Shopping Channel, wanted to let your Canadian readers know that The Shopping Channel has a great 30 Day Money back guarantee – we even include a pre-paid return label in case you aren’t 100% satisfied…but we know you will be! Thanks, Lia

Wednesday, June 30/2010 at 4:58 pm

Amazing! Thanks so much for letting us know, Lia! I LOVE when companies do the pre-paid return labels. (Not that I think anyone will be returning this stuff!)

Jenncharina
Thursday, July 1/2010 at 4:40 pm

Thanks so much for responding! I’m trying to go as natural and organic as possible without compromising on quality. I’m excited to try this line.

Friday, July 2/2010 at 10:44 am

Let me know how you like it! Honestly, I cannot live without this foundation now.

Allie
Sunday, July 4/2010 at 9:11 am

Oooh! This line sounds awesome. Will have to check it out. Been a while since I posted about beauty on givegoodgift.ca too.

Nicole
Tuesday, July 13/2010 at 12:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was very excited to read about Vapour that I instantly went to theshoppingchannel.com and ordered the Stratus stick. Unfortunately, I have to say I’m quite disappointed in their customer service. I emailed a question, and have since tried to track my package (as it was charged to my cc, but I wasn’t given an email confirmation or receipt), but again, the service is absolutely atrocious. Is there any other way of ordering this line of cosmetics, other than the Shopping Channel? It would pain me to give them any more of my business.

Thanks,

Nicole

Wednesday, July 14/2010 at 10:04 am

@Nicole – just let my contact at The Shopping Channel know about your experience (Lia, who also commented above) so hopefully she can help you out.

I believe you can also order direct from vapourbeauty.com – see here: http://www.vapourbeauty.com/policies.asp

Thursday, July 15/2010 at 6:55 pm

Hey Nicole – Lia from The Shopping Channel says that if you email her, she’ll make sure this gets taken care of properly. If you email me at michelle [at] beautyeditor.ca I’ll give your her email address.

Kara
Monday, August 16/2010 at 3:46 pm

Hello :) I am currently using an extremely pure mineral foundation and am at times unhappy with the coverage, mess to apply, etc. I have a couple questions about the Vapour foundation – is it still ok for sensitive, somewhat oily skin? Do you set it with powder afterwards? Have you tried their blushes? Is it essential to get their stratus primer? Thanks for your time! I just discovered your blog! Fun times!!

Wednesday, August 18/2010 at 11:12 am

Hi Kara!
I’ve been mostly using this with primer underneath (I usually get oily in the T zone)… so hard to say about the oil factor. Since it’s in a stick format, it’s not as moisturizing as a liquid foundation would be… but it definitely glides on and doesn’t feel dry. Kind of a creamy texture, but it does sink in and dry down pretty quickly so it’s not like your face feels like there’s anything on it. Hopefully that makes sense… I think it certainly would be ok for oily skin.

As for sensitivity issues – I haven’t had a problem but because many organic products contains botanicals I would check the ingredient list to be sure (if you are aware of certain things that give you problems). http://www.vapourbeauty.com/Foundation-Concealer-and-Face-Makeup/Vapour-Organic-Beauty-Atmosphere-Luminous-Foundation.asp
Or you could call them to get more advice on that… sensitivity can be really different from person to person.

I don’t set the foundation with powder, although you could. Just use a transparent/translucent one so it doesn’t get cakey.

I HAVE tried their blushes and LOVE them. Same great texture as the foundation, easily blendable and they seem to last a really long time.

Haven’t tried the Stratus product so can’t say how that performs. I think no matter what your skin will look better if you use a primer underneath your foundation. It’s just hard to find one that’s organic! This one seems to be more about diffusing flaws instead of oil control… if oil is more of an issue you probably need something else. I don’t know of any offhand that are “natural” – but a few options here: http://beautyeditor.ca/galleries/7-ways-to-stop-shine-on-your-face/

I hope that helps!

Nicole
Wednesday, August 18/2010 at 12:00 pm

Hi Kara,

I’m the Nicole who posted previously… so I’ve had over a month to try the Stratus and Foundation, and I have to say I’m really pleased with both. I ordered Stratus from the Shopping Channel, but I ordered the Foundation from the Vapour website, as they had a greater range of shades, and I’m extremely fair skinned.

I haven’t used these exclusively over the last month (was occasionally using my Pure and Simple Mineral Pressed Powder, or just sunscreen alone), but I do prefer the vapour coverage to powder. I used the foundation on one of the recent disgustingly humid days, and I was so impressed that my powder hasn’t been in the rotation as of the last couple of weeks.

As for skin sensitivity, I haven’t had any problems, and I have severe sensitive skin (rosacea, break out with most sunscreens, burning, itching, the works).

I have clear skin, so I’m not sure I’m the best judge of the necessity of Stratus… I tend to use either the foundation, or the stratus stick, but only because both options are available to me. I don’t see a huge difference in my skin with stratus to go out and buy it again, so if you go for one product over the other, I’d recommend the foundation.

Hope this helps.

Nicole

Wednesday, August 18/2010 at 12:25 pm

Great comment Nicole – thank you! So glad to hear you were happy with this line. Thanks for adding your two cents!

Kara
Monday, August 23/2010 at 5:42 pm

Thank you Michelle and Nicole for your comments back to me! I just received my Vapour products today and tested them out. I purchased the foundation, concealer, bronzer and blush. I am a bit discouraged. Perhaps I need to practice with everything before I can make a real judgment? Or perhaps I am so used to the feel of my mineral makeup? Do you both have any suggestions for me as far as the application? I watched the instructional video, etc., but found it to make my skin flaky. Thanks again for any help you can offer!

Monday, August 30/2010 at 6:33 pm

Hmmm I’m stumped as to how it would make your skin flaky. Normally that happens with powder products but since all of these are creamy, I’m surprised. Have you tried exfoliating (to Nicole’s point)? Let us know if this made any difference.
As for application… I didn’t realize there was an instructional video! I just apply everything with my fingers and find it blends quite easily. But I only have the blush and foundation – not the bronzer or concealer.

Nicole
Monday, August 23/2010 at 8:43 pm

Hi Kara,

I would suggest giving the products a try for more than one application before you comment on how discouraged you are. Yikes… tough critic.

I cleanse, fully moisturize and allow it to sink in for ten mins before applying a thin layer of the foundation or stratus. Perhaps try exfoliating… just a thought.

Good luck.

Kara
Monday, August 23/2010 at 10:03 pm

Sorry for my negativity. I was just so excited to use it and was discouraged with how it reacted to my skin. Thank you again for your advice and I will go from there.

Elizabeth Bender
Saturday, May 21/2011 at 3:53 pm

I was introduced to Vapour as an alex+von consultant as this is one of the 4 brands that we represent. I too was very excited to try this line as I had heard nothing but great things about the products as well as the company. While I was not disappointed I would like to point out that if you have somewhat acne prone sensitive skin (as I do) the soft focus formula may be more appropriate than the luminous formula. While soft focus is not a stick which many people love, it is a buildable medium-full coverage foundation in an airless pump dispenser. It is designed to balance skin of all types, including sensitive and/or oily skin. I have had customers with adult acne that did better with the soft focus rather than luminous formula.

Meghan
Sunday, September 4/2011 at 2:43 pm

Does anyone know where in the states Vapour ships from? I’ve been out of the foundation for weeks (the place I usually buy from is sold out); and I’m going to a wedding in mid-September and I’d like to have it by then. They do not have the shade I use on the shopping channel, and I’m flying to another province on the 14th for the wedding. I need to know if I should ship it to my home address or the address where I’m staying for the wedding.

This doesn’t seem like a big deal; but I have sensitive skin and I’ve found no other product works as well. Mineral foundation usually looks chalky on my fair skin. I don’t want to have to buy a cheap foundation that doesn’t work as well (and will cause my skin to break out) for the wedding.

Any help would be appreciated!

Martie B
Thursday, January 26/2012 at 3:03 pm

I have very sensitive skin which responds well to the healing properties of only a few organic skincare lines. Because I insist on organic and paraben-free products, I used Made from Earth’s Vitamin Enhanced Moisturizer (as a face cream) and their Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum (only in areas where I have wrinkles). It is the best for my money and is my all-time favorite moisturizer for both night and day use.

My 75 year-old mother swears by this brand for her beautiful flawless skin that doesn’t look a day over 50.