Twestion time: How can I get fuller eyebrows (like Jessica Stam)?

Jessica Stam full eyebrows CFDA awards

Time for another Twestion! My pal A. writes, via Twitter:

@Beauty_Editor have you seen this look on Jessica Stam? http://bit.ly/a8eo1y love the big brows, can you do a post on brow powders/pencils?

You ask and you shall receive. Because these brows are so mayjah (i.e. they have the potential to go very, very wrong), I actually enlisted the help of CoverGirl makeup pro Greg Wencel to find out how to do them right.

Here’s his advice:

greg wencel 197x300 Twestion time: How can I get fuller eyebrows (like Jessica Stam)?Q. Okay, Greg—are fuller brows like this going to be a big trend in the future? Should we all start easing up on the tweezing?

A. The full brow trend has been creeping into the mainstream for at least five seasons and has finally made its way in—so every woman should grow out her brows! Small, perfect, over-tweezed skinny brows are a thing of the past.

Q. But Jessica Stam’s brows are really, REALLY full. Can anyone wear this look? Or do you need to have a certain face shape or hairstyle?

A. Anyone can wear their own version of this fuller brow look—just be careful! Sometimes a full brow can look a little bit handsome, so make sure you contrast it with a feminine hairstyle or clothing.

Q. How do we get the look?

CoverGirl brow and eyemakers eyeliner 185x300 Twestion time: How can I get fuller eyebrows (like Jessica Stam)?

A. Use brow powder [or eyeshadow will even work in a pinch] and brow pencil (try: CoverGirl Brow & Eye Makers liner) to first draw on a soft shape. This will make the brows look naturally fuller.

Then brush through with a brow brush. If you’re finding you have any holes where the brow line looks disconnected, go in with the brow pencil only to fill out those areas.

Then take a clear mascara (try: CoverGirl Natural Lash Mascara), and comb your brows upward into place. Combing them up instead of to the side will automatically make them look fuller!

Q. How do you choose the right shade of eyebrow powder or pencil?

CoverGirl Natural Lash Mascara 185x300 Twestion time: How can I get fuller eyebrows (like Jessica Stam)?A. Always opt for a softer shade than your natural hair colour. You never want your brows to look too harsh or intense. I have two shades in my kit that work on almost every spectrum: a soft taupe for fair-skinned blondes and redheads, and a soft, warm medium brown for brunettes.

Q. When you’re rocking a fuller brow, what makeup should you wear on the rest of your face?

A. When sporting a full brow, try to create balance with the rest of your makeup. My fave parings are a strong brow and bright lip or a full brow with heavy cheek and nude lip—like we see in the shot of Jessica Stam.

Thanks Greg!

And last but not least—here are a few of my brow product recommendations:

dior jazzclub browstyler1 52x300 Twestion time: How can I get fuller eyebrows (like Jessica Stam)?Dior DiorShow Brow Styler Ultra-Fine Precision Brow Pencil: Absolutely the best brow pencil I’ve tried. The colour is very soft so you can build up the intensity, and best of all it’s got a VERY fine point so you really can mimic the effect of actual hairs.

Tweezerman tweezers: I know we’re talking about growing out our brows, but you’ll always need a BIT of shaping. These tweezers are a cult favourite for a reason. Go for the slanted-tip kind and don’t forget to take advantage of Tweezerman’s free sharpening policy. Oh, and check out the new collab with Benefit—such cute patterns!

Anastasia Beverly Hills: This is your one-stop brow expert. I’ve got an array of the brow scissors, brushes, pencils and powders and everything is great quality. At Sephora.

Damone Roberts Brow Gain: This product helps stimulate brow growth and although I haven’t tried it personally, it’s had good reviews. (Damone is known as the “Eyebrow King.”) The line used to be at Holt Renfrew, not sure if it still is, but you can order online. (OR talk to your doctor about prescription products like Latisse (coming soon to Canada) or Lumigan, both of which can be used to stimulate hair growth if you apply on brows.)

Now tell me…
How full do YOU wear your brows?
Is your eyebrow lady still on speed-dial or are you growing yours out?
Which brow products do you swear by?
Photo: Style.com

Anupa
Friday, July 2/2010 at 6:35 pm

Ack! I’m STILL totally loving that look on Stam but understand I’d look crazy sporting brows that huge in real life. I’ve been growing my brows out for a while now, so I’m definitely going to take some of Greg’s tips to mind and hit Sephora for that DiorShow pencil. Thanks for the post :)

Sunday, July 4/2010 at 9:42 pm

It’s so great – you will love, I promise! I think it only comes in one shade so should suit all complexions/hair colours.

Ree
Friday, August 6/2010 at 4:00 pm

Way to manly…..overkill. My brows were almost that full in high school. I did overpluck, but I rather add a little than to make them look oh so fake! I have not been one 2 go with the crowd, so reg. brows, I will stay with. What women will do 2 hoard out on a fashion statement. That girl looks like a street lamp lady..just my opinion…..signed redhead with attitude.

Monday, August 9/2010 at 1:02 pm

Remember this is on a model so it’s extreme. Models can get away with looks that us mere mortals couldn’t be caught dead in.

ree
Friday, August 6/2010 at 4:04 pm

Stam looks like Stanley……..not offense to any Stanleys out there, I’m sure the are some rockin’ Stans out there….Stam ain’t 1 of em.

ree
Friday, August 6/2010 at 4:14 pm

the young ladies especially the light brown hair and the others that did nto have 2 inch brows did not look so bad, I give them a break. My prob. with this, is that I have a very tiny face, I am very petite. So, first thing you c on me is brows…….I don’t think so, will pass that trend up…maybe next weeks trend, I will go 4. btw, I read a poll where most guys pefer almost no makeup…..so the 2 inch brows would be a no no for them.

Monday, August 9/2010 at 1:04 pm

I think the takeaway is that a slightly fuller brow can look great on most people – but by no means am I (or Greg) saying that you need to go to quite the extreme that Jessica Stam does in the photo. But lots of people overpluck – and they should stop! Slightly fuller brows are more youthful and modern.

Kaeli
Tuesday, August 9/2011 at 2:56 pm

I’ve always had big dark brown eyebrows, but I’ve always loved them. They’re different. They’re not at all as big as the girl in the photo, but they’re bigger than normal for sure. I have dark brown hair, but my eyebrows are darker. Is that nice? By the way, I pluck the little hairs in the middle, but I don’t really touch the actual brow cause I like them the way they are. Recently, I’ve taken up the bad habit of touching my eyebrows with my fingers non-stop when I’m nervous. This has led to the little hairs falling out, so my eyebrows are a tiny tiny tiny bit smaller than I’d like and more importantly not as defined as I’d like, but I didn’t want to start plucking them cause i’d screw up & mess with my favorite feature. So I started putting this dark brown, almost black (it may be black, i dunno) color (it’s eyeshadow) on a tiny brush & putting it along the line of my eyebrow. Now they look a bit darker and more defined. I love it! Of course, my sister keeps telling me my eyebrows are the first thing you look at when you see my face & that i should tweek them to look more femine. She dyed her hair blond as well as her brows and made them small. We have different tastes, that’s fine. Though i’d like a stranger’s opinion. Thoughts?

Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:18 pm

Well I’m definitely an advocate of professional shaping… some of us need it, some can get away with being au naturel… but it sounds like you have good raw material there. I love a strong brow. I know bleaching was in style a few seasons ago, and I’ve tried that too, but I think it only really works on blondes (to make your eyes stand out) and it’s not so much the trend right now. Plus tell your sister to lay off the over-tweezing. Skinny brows make you look way older!

Kaeli
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:31 pm

Thanks again. I’ll probably end up going & getting a bit of help with them, I’m just scared they’ll make them too small ya know? The reason I haven’t gone yet is that I’m pretty young, so I’m not in any rush. For right now, I’m gonna go with the help of that little brush to make them look less better.

Kaeli
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 11:32 pm

make them look **better

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:31 pm

Oh I hear you… I’m terrified of too-thin eyebrows and that’s why I have to thoroughly vet any new eyebrow ladies before they touch me! Brushing them is a good idea and even sealing with an eyebrow gel or clear mascara will help them look groomed too.

clare
Wednesday, January 2/2013 at 1:49 am

LOVE big eyebrows and don’t care what anyone else thinks about them at all (so i guess i’m in the wrong place, really). i don’t think thin eyebrows have ever looked good on anyone BUT go for it if you like it i guess…

Diane Neufeld
Monday, February 18/2013 at 1:46 pm

my brows are very very light and very thin and uneven, one side goes up and the other is straight. how do i make them look normal? im 50 they dont reproduce anymore lol