Tom Ford’s new lipsticks are insanely luxurious, flattering and yes, worth the $52

Tom Ford lipstick ad

By now I’m sure you’ve heard of, seen or maybe even tried out Tom Ford’s new line of lipsticks, called Private Blend Lip Color.

If not, you need to get on that, stat! Because they really are something to behold.

Think of them this way: whereas most companies out there force their R&D arms to work within certain budget constraints when they come up with new products (causing them to cut corners on ingredients, textures, pigments and packaging), Tom insisted on the best of the best. That means these puppies are the most exclusive, highest-end lipsticks on the market today.

So the $52 price tag (at Holt Renfrew) is actually starting to seem almost reasonable, right?

Tom Ford Private Blend Lip Collection lip design Tom Fords new lipsticks are insanely luxurious, flattering and yes, worth the $52

Let’s count the ways:

• The texture is sheer, creamy but flat (not matte) and definitely not shimmery or glossy. What’s the word? LUSH.
  • The formula (which is proprietary) is intensely moisturizing and won’t feather (thanks to rare ingredients like soja seed extract, Brazilian murumuru butter and chamomilla flower oil).
  • The packaging, as you can see, is perfection: ultra-glam white and gold cases, PLUS each lippie is engraved with a chic “TF”. Tom, you’re killin’ me.
  • The scent is TO DIE for—I’m told it’s the chamomile, but it smells rather chocolatey to me.

Oh and did I mention the colours?

Tom Ford lipstick colours Tom Fords new lipsticks are insanely luxurious, flattering and yes, worth the $52Of the 12 shades, there are three colour groupings with four shades in each:

• The nudes: I’m told Vanilla Suede, the palest, works both by itself AND with any of the other colours. (Take a peek at it on Janine here.)
  • The bolds: These are the brighter, highly-pigmented “fun” shades. But I mean fun in a wearable, completely glamorous way, not the (often risky) drugstore brand sort of way where you’re never sure if the colour is going to be a winner or not.
  • The daring shades: Think darker, sultry, sexy colours. More of a winter palette.

Most popular so far (according to the PR) are: Cherry Lush (my personal fave) and Blush Nude.

And you know what’s crazy about all of this? After test driving these at the press preview a couple months ago, I still can’t bring myself to actually USE them. A little-known secret about (some of) us beauty editors: when something is really, REALLY nice, it’s almost like art to us. Why ruin it by wearing it when we have dozens of other lipsticks to use?

And so they stay in the archives for a while, like this:

Tom Ford lipstick Tom Fords new lipsticks are insanely luxurious, flattering and yes, worth the $52

I know, I’m insane… so tell me: have you tried any of these lippies yet? Or have you already found your Holy Grail lipstick?

katherine
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 10:44 am

Don’t ever invite me over. Because Pure Pink will go missing. Can’t believe you *still* haven’t used.

Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 12:13 pm

I know! But I’m not the only one – Liza is equally obsessive about saving her prodz. Maybe someday…

That Pure Pink is your ultimate colour, BTW.

Anya
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 12:18 pm

My heart is set on Morrocain Rouge. $52 price tag IS starting to look reasonable. That box is stunning! Swoon.

Janine
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 1:41 pm

Seriously, it’s worth buying just one. Just one. Some of the shades do have a tiny bit of shimmer, but nothing garish, of course.

As for the scent, I’m not a fan of the sweet, dessert-ish fragrance, but I stopped noticing it fairly soon in. Thankfully it doesn’t linger long after application.

I haven’t tried Vanilla Suede with any of the other shades yet. Hmm…

Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 1:48 pm

You don’t like the scent? No! It’s so good!
I didn’t detect a shimmer but like I said – haven’t actually TRIED these on my mouth…just the back of my hand. (What kind of loser beauty blogger am I, anyway?! :-) )

Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 1:47 pm

I know, right? This is why, so far, I’ve just periodically pulled out my box and stared at them all. Maybe I’ll buy one so I can at least keep my set intact.

Monica
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 2:31 pm

I’ve seen these in-store but haven’t purchased because I can’t fathom spending $52 on a lipstick when my house is a mini-Sephora:) But these lookes super creamy & I’m tempted…Oh & how hot is that ad campaign.

Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 5:34 pm

I hear you – I feel so wasteful sometimes when I could really just “shop my beauty closet”!

Michelle (LipstickRules.com)
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 3:24 pm

Between you and Janine, my ‘lemming’ for these lipsticks is insane. I can’t seem to push myself to spend $52….In reality though I will likely cave in at some point.

Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 5:35 pm

Michelle! You will love these! Seriously – I thought of you. :-)

Michelle (LipstickRules)
Wednesday, July 21/2010 at 6:25 pm

LOL – I’m honoured that you thought of me. Maybe next month after my vacation. I just indulged in a Burberry lippie today!

Thursday, July 22/2010 at 12:51 pm

Nice! I still haven’t seen them in person yet – had to miss that event.

Gimped
Friday, July 23/2010 at 10:12 am

SO jealous of your box set, Michelle!

I’m not a fan of lipsticks — I’m more of a gloss gal — but I might have to try these out. Pink Dust looks like a good starting point for a lipstick virgin :)

Saturday, July 24/2010 at 12:53 pm

I think Janine has posted pics of herself in every colour as part of her Lipstick Diaries, so you should definitely check out BeautyGeeks – here she is in Pink Dusk: http://imabeautygeek.com/2010/07/07/lipstick-diary-what-i-wore-that-day-26/comment-page-1/

Gimped
Monday, August 9/2010 at 3:37 pm

SOOO pretty! Thanks, Michelle!!

Tuesday, August 10/2010 at 11:21 am

If you buy let me know what you think!

Anita Matte
Friday, July 23/2010 at 3:07 pm

I am obsessed with these lipsticks. They are worthy EVERY penny. My favourite at the moment is Blush Nude.

Saturday, July 24/2010 at 12:56 pm

Yep, looks like a great nude – it has some warmth to it (so many nudes I’ve tried make my lips look too beige and deathly!)

Sarena
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 10:50 pm

where can i get this? I’m from vancouver canada??

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 9:52 am

Hi Sarena, I believe they are exclusive to Holt Renfrew in Canada.

Michelle (Lipstickrules)
Tuesday, May 1/2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh Michelle, I’m still dreaming of these lipsticks. Keep coming back and reading this post. Do I dare succumb and get Cherry Lush once and for all?! Baaaaaaah (that’s my wallet crying)

Gimped
Wednesday, May 2/2012 at 12:01 pm

I hear ya Michelle! Every time I walk by the Tom Ford counter at Holt you can feel my pulse rate jump … and hear the screams coming from my purse.