Sometimes a beauty gadget comes along that changes your life. Like this one…

Gwyneth Paltrow bikini View from the Top

Since it happens to be bikini season in Canada (even though I’m not clocking NEARLY enough time in one this year), let’s chat for a moment about hair removal, shall we?

Do you remember the Epilady? It was the original epilator—a type of hair removal gadget that looks like an electric shaver, but actually yanks out hair from the roots. Ouchie! I never had the real deal, but when I lived in Australia a few years ago, the Emjoi Gently, which was basically the same thing, was all the rage with the ‘Stralyans. And… it sucked. I bought it to use on my legs, but it was just useless at covering any significant surface area. And because it was slower than molasses in January, it HURT like you wouldn’t believe.

But that was a long time ago. Turns out, they’re making epilators A LOT BETTER these days.

The PR behind Philips was wonderful enough to send me the new Philips SatinPerfect Epilator to try, which looks like this:

Phillips SatinPerfect Epilator Sometimes a beauty gadget comes along that changes your life. Like this one...

I have to tell you—this has changed my life!

I’ve tried pretty much all the hair removal methods out there—shaving, waxing, even the Silk’n, which is like an at-home laser hair removal system. And while I was making good progress with the ol’ Silk’n, you can’t do it in the summer because you’re not supposed to have a tan… AND it’s stupidly expensive ($800 for the system, plus $60 for each refill).

What I liked about waxing was the long-lasting results. Epilating, because it’s tweezing from the roots, gives you the same thing—but without any ingrowns AND the ability to do touch-ups on your own, anytime.

What’s different about this machine from previous-generation epilators is that it’s got a shiz-tonne more power.

The first time I used it (and sorry to be a bit graphic, but…) hairs were spitting out all over the place. It is FAST. (In fact, the claim is that it removes more hair in one stroke than any other epilator.)

And because it’s ripping out the hair so quickly, it’s honestly not that painful. Each time you do it, you’ll notice the ouchies less… although the underarms and ankles are always going to be a bit more sensitive.

Other cool things:

• It has a built-in light that helps you see what you are doing.
  • It is cordless (although you can also plug in to recharge).
  • It ALSO comes with different heads for shaving and trimming, plus a pair of tweezers with a built-in light and mirror.

Seriously, I love this product. And the price is pretty reasonable: $139.99 at The Bay, Zellers, and Personal Edge. Not bad when you consider that waxing just your legs alone can set you back $50+ a pop.

Have you ever tried epilating? What’s your hair removal method of choice?

kate
Tuesday, July 27/2010 at 5:27 pm

I JUST bought an epilator on Saturday (sigh) it’s great – the first round took about 45 mins to do my lower legs – but that was expected. The results were wonderful – my legs are great! It didn’t hurt like some reviews say – I just sucked it up (the price of beauty ladies!!).

I wish I had held out for this gizmo though, mine was 1/4 of the price, but didn’t come with attachments, it’s corded and unfortunately for me, no light.

Enjoy your epil bliss!

Tuesday, July 27/2010 at 5:33 pm

Epil bliss – haha! :-)

So glad to hear you’re loving yours too. Truth be told, I could actually live without the light (or the cordlessness) on my gizmo… it’s the power that blows me away. I haven’t timed how long it takes to do my legs, but I am sure it’s under 20-30 min. My old epilator is officially a piece of junk.

And no, it’s not painful – these people who say it is must be lightweights!

Kailani
Friday, July 30/2010 at 12:00 pm

Hi Kate,
I was wondering which model and where you bought yours? I’d wouldn’t use the gizmos (except possibly the cordless) so it wouldn’t be worth it for me.

Thanks for this review, I couldn’t find any recommended epilators in Canada. I’m definitely considering it. I usually do my own sugaring, but it’s a time consuming process. Whenever I mess up in making it, it pulls my skin and hurts like mad. I have an old epilator I bought ages ago but now it constantly snaps the hair rather than pulling it out so I was a bit tentative to buy a new one.

Thursday, August 5/2010 at 3:07 pm

It’s called Philips SatinPerfect Epilator Total Body and Face Cordless – I don’t think there’s a model number. You can buy at The Bay, Zellers, and Personal Edge. (I didn’t buy mine – was lucky enough to get a sample sent by the PR.)
Don’t quote me on this but I’m thinking you could go for a slightly less fancy model without all the gadgets and the epilating part would be the same. Maybe this one? http://www.philips.ca/c/hair-removal/satinelle-hp6400_00/prd/en/

As for snapping/breaking the hair – I don’t find this one does that at all (although I have pretty fine hair that’s not prone to this problem anyway). Still, you should be exfoliating regularly to make sure you don’t get ingrowns when the hair comes back.

I hope that helps!

Angela
Tuesday, July 27/2010 at 10:32 pm

I have an Emjoi epilator too, which I purchased from the Shopping Channel years ago. It was both painful (made me tear up when I used it on my face) and inefficient, and now hidden away in my closet somewhere never to see the light of day again.

For hair removal I will always stand by sugaring. It’s not painful for the most part (underarms and bikini line may be the exceptions). I love Moom for sugaring and it’s made from natural ingredients too. You can rinse off any remaining residue with water, unlike wax.

Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 11:26 am

Oh I didn’t realize Emjoi was global! Anyway, sounds like we had the same crappy unit. :-)

I wish I could do sugaring (or even waxing) myself, but I either don’t have the right hair type or the correct flick of the wrist. Tried to do it so many times and failed!

So epilating it is now…

jenncharina
Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 9:38 am

Hi Michelle,

Have you tried it on facial hair? I’m lucky to have very sparse and thin hair on my legs and arms. However, extremely unlucky in the underarm and upper lip area (thanks mom!).

I usually thread and if threading isn’t available, then I wax. My skin is reactive and turns red. I’m wondering if the SatinPerfect will be better for me.

Thanks!

Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 11:35 am

I haven’t tried the face but Philips says you can definitely use it there. I have to admit, I’d be a little scared of doing it there just because the machine is so turbo and loud and fast… but then again, the speed is what makes it effective (and not painful).

And as for redness – my legs didn’t go red at all , so hopefully face wouldn’t either. I know what you mean about threading giving reactions.

The other thing is the head on this puppy is pretty big so to use on your face you’d need to be ok with it covering a fairly big surface area. (In other words, I wouldn’t go anywhere near your eyebrows!)

If I come across any face reviews I’ll re-post!

Samantha
Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 10:06 am

I had laser hair removal done on my lower legs about eight years ago because I always got really bad ingrown hairs, and I still only have very sparse hair growth…but I really wish I’d had my full legs done! I use a Philips epilator too on the few hairs that grow in on my lower legs and my underarms, but mine isn’t the kick-a** version that you have. I find it works quite well; I use waxing for all other areas that need to be bald…I find it to be less painful than the epilating on my upper legs. I also find you have to make sure you really pull the skin taut in areas like the underarms…once I was using my epilator on my underarms, and not really focusing on what I was doing, and it suddenly grabbed onto my skin…ouch!!

Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 11:42 am

Ouch! I’ve done that before too and you’re right – you definitely need to pull. I find the knees a bit tricky too.

I did laser hair removal a few years ago – bikini and underarms – but had to abandon after 4 sessions. Just couldn’t handle the pain and it was giving me crazy ingrowns. I regret that I didn’t do my legs instead, like you did… oh well.

Ilsie
Wednesday, July 28/2010 at 2:45 pm

Michelle,
Thanks for this posting. I was looking forward to it, since I have been searching for the right epil tool. Now I know which one to buy…Gracias!

Thursday, July 29/2010 at 5:54 pm

You’re very welcome! Let me know how you get on!

Stephanie
Thursday, July 29/2010 at 10:32 am

Hey Michelle!

I’ve been using this Philips epilator and I LOVE IT. I rarely have to use it. It took me a while to get use to it and to get the technique down but now that I’m a pro … it takes me just seconds to get my legs hair free. I probably only need to use it once a week – not because the hair grows back that fast, but because I’m paranoid that maybe there is something growing … ha ha.

I am however still not brave enough to use it on my bikini line …

I love your site!

Stephanie

Thursday, July 29/2010 at 5:55 pm

Thanks Stephanie! :-)
I only just started using mine but I agree – it has hugely cut down the frequency of attending to the ol’ leg hair.
Haven’t tried bikini line yet either… I’m a bit scared too!

Sarah
Friday, August 12/2011 at 1:54 pm

Hi Michelle,

I was wondering what or who you might recommend (in Toronto) to help remove ingrown hairs? I have two that I just can’t get rid of. One is on my bikini line and one is in my underarm. They are awful and a bit two deep for me to get them with a tweezer. Do you recommend any treatment or possibly a dermatologist in Toronto?

Thanks in advance! I love your site!

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 4:54 pm

If they are very deep I would probably see a derm to remove them as they’ll probably know how to do it (and have the right tool) with the least chance of scarring. I love Dr. Nowell Solish – he’s super smart and the nicest guy ever. He’s the one who saved my skin after that oil cleansing method disaster.
I assume you’ve tried exfoliating, etc.? There is a product called Tend Skin that is pretty good: http://www.tendskin.com/tendskin.htm. But I think it’s more for prevention.

Erin
Saturday, May 10/2014 at 10:58 pm

Hi Michelle, I love this epilator too. It is so powerful. You can remove hair so quickly. I think it is way too powerful to use it on your face. If the epilator is breaking hair instead of pulling it out, you could try to lower the speed setting. Also, sometimes this happens if the hair is too short or too long. The epilator is gripping the tip instead of the root. Waiting at least a week or two between sessions can help.