Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow-style pixie cut

Emma Watson short hair

Do you like?

Normally, I’m not on board with hair that’s this short (mostly because it’s all about ME and I certainly could not pull this off)… but I adore it on little Hermoine. She’s all grown up now, isn’t she?

Emma posted the pic on her Facebook page recently, with this message: “Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago… Feels incredible. I love it. I’ve wanted to do this for years and years; it’s the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x.”

Awww…  obviously keeping it long was a career move, then, but now that the final Harry Potter movie has wrapped up, she didn’t waste any time going for the chop. Here’s the Before:

Emma Watson long hair Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow style pixie cut

The After suits her so much better, doesn’t it? I think some women have faces that get overshadowed by their hair. Without that distraction, all I notice are Emma’s incredible eyes… her gorgeous skin… her delicate features. Good work, Emma!

And you know, she’s in REAL good company with this cut. Most of us associate the look with Mia Farrow:

Mia Farrow Rosemarys Baby hair Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow style pixie cut

But it’s very Jean Seberg as well, no?

Jean Seberg Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow style pixie cut

Michelle Williams looked cute as a button in this hair cut:

Michelle Williams pixie hair cut Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow style pixie cut

But probably my fave celeb interpretation was by Natalie Portman. Who knew short hair could look this seksi?

Natalie Portman pixie hair cut Holy hairdryers! Emma Watson got a Mia Farrow style pixie cut

Do you like this cut or do you miss Emma’s longer locks?
Who do you think wears the pixie cut best?
Would you ever go for the chop yourself?

thechicstorm
Friday, August 6/2010 at 10:48 am

I want so desperately to cut my hair a la Portman. But as you pointed out yesterday I would no longer be able to rock the top knot. Oh the conflicts that plague my life.

Monday, August 9/2010 at 12:51 pm

I know you do. But wouldn’t the curls make it harder to style? I think your current FB shot looks adorable. (Is it indeed a top knot? Because then I rest my case. That is your ultimate hairstyle.)

Monica
Friday, August 6/2010 at 1:49 pm

I just saw this & I think she looks freaking AMAZING! So jealous I wish I could pull the short-do off, but my wavy-frizz ball that’s suppose to be hair would never co-operate. And the growing out stage…

Monday, August 9/2010 at 12:52 pm

Glad you agree! But yes – growing out could be a total nightmare.

Sue
Friday, August 6/2010 at 10:35 pm

She totally rocks it! Everyone should try it once, the beauty of hair is that it grows back or if it really doesn’t suit you can experiment with funky wigs. I have had my hair that short and it’s very liberating, not to mention money saving with way less product to buy.

Monday, August 9/2010 at 12:54 pm

Well as someone who has cried over a too-short bang trim, I’m going to sit this one out… but I agree it looks amazing on lots of people :-)

Gimped
Friday, August 13/2010 at 11:05 am

Love LOVE this look on Emma! I used to rock a pixie cut myself and it’s so liberating. It’s so awesome to only spend seconds on your hair in the morning. More frequent hair cuts tho: every 5 weeks for sure. You can’t get away with waiting any longer than 5 weeks.

Remind me why I’m growing it out again …. And yes, Michelle, it’s a HUGE pain in the you-know-what to grow out. Especially when you add a few disasters in the mix.

Wednesday, August 18/2010 at 2:18 pm

Uh-oh… well hopefully today’s post helps a bit with the “disasters”!

PS – Always find it ironic when people say short cuts are so low-maintenance. I guess they are in terms of styling but I definitely couldn’t deal with having to get haircuts every 5 weeks! That can get expensive!

Kristell
Wednesday, December 29/2010 at 10:11 am

Well yes, that’s a good point. However, if you ever get to that point where you don’t want to bother with going out to get it cut, you can always grab those scissors yourself, close the bathroom door, and cut away at your hair! What can be more liberating than that? ;D

Carolyn
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 12:33 pm

I love this haircut. Short and chic and REALLY, I believe feminine.

Wednesday, September 1/2010 at 2:11 pm

It IS feminine on her, isn’t it? (As opposed to Anne Hathaway’s wig, which makes her look mannish.) Funny how short hair really, really suits some but not others. I guess trying on a wig is actually a pretty smart idea before you chop it all off.

Lola
Wednesday, October 27/2010 at 5:59 pm

I adore these hairstyles especially on Natalie Portman and Michelle Williams.
I would really like to cut my own hair this short but my hair is a bit wavy. Is it good to cut my hair this way if I have a bit wavy hair? If it fits me i would take care off it and not let it grow like a mess.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 4:28 pm

I think the key is finding a good hairdresser who knows how to cut with your particular hair texture. Also there are lots of products that are great for short hair to help you control any waves or frizz. I would start shopping around – if you see a girl whose cut you like, ask her where she got it done. I find that’s the best way to find a great haircutter.

OR – if you are in Toronto – I highly recommend Bill Angst :-)

Kristell
Wednesday, December 29/2010 at 10:14 am

I have wavy hair and I just cut my hair yesterday and it looks amazing. You can always gel it or stiffen it up a bit. Plus, when it’s that short, the waves barely show, waves usually start 2-4 inches away from the roots (at least for me). So if your hair is kind of like that, I think you’d have the right hair texture to pull it off! :)

Nikki
Friday, January 21/2011 at 7:09 am

I’ve recently gone from long to pixie and love it! I did exactly what Michelle (above) has stated – saw a girl whose hair I liked and asked her who cut it. I’ve since been approached by a girl who asked me who cuts my hair!!

In terms of who looks best with a pixie – got to be Natalie Portman. Emma Watson looks awful in my opinion – far too boyish.

Wednesday, January 26/2011 at 8:14 pm

That’s awesome Nikki! I love the chain reaction of hairdresser recommendations!