Why You Shouldn't Get Layers in Fine Hair Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Don’t listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it

Naomi Watts Salt premiere 2010 Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Dont listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it

After years of bouncing around every hair salon in town—like some kind of hair salon FLOOZY, really—I’d like to think I know a thing or two about the hairdressing talent pool in this city.

YES there are a few real gems, the brightest being my now Forever Hair Man Bill Angst. But I’ve also, during my years of beauty editor experimentation, had a few too many hair appointments gone wrong. Let’s just say that Toronto is no New York.

Which is why I now only let “my people” come near it. I know that sounds extreme, but every once in a while I’m reminded of why I made this rule…

Beware of hairdressers who think everyone should have layers

The other week, after a touch-up at my colour place, I got my hair shampooed and blown-dry by a new guy. Now tell me if this sounds familiar. (It should, because it’s the novice hairdresser’s standard M.O.)

His line of questioning starts with this: “So who’ll be cutting your hair today?”

Scissors Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Dont listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it“Uh, nobody.” I tell him I get my hair cut elsewhere.

They hate this.

I could just tell he was ITCHING to pull out his scissors and go to town on me. I started getting nervous.

Then—wait for it—as he’s combing through my hair he says in his all-knowing (borderline condescending) voice: “And why don’t we have any layers in here?”

First of all, WE?

And second of all, have you SEEN my hair, guy?

I don’t know what they’re teaching in hairdressing school these days, but people whose hair is simultaneously A) fine, B) straight and C) long simply cannot handle a lot of layers.

Exhibit A: Naomi Watts. Doesn’t this blunt cut (shown off at the Salt premiere a few weeks ago) look AMAZING?

Naomi Watts blunt cut Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Dont listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it

Certainly much better than this, right?

Naomi Watts layered hair Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Dont listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it

Those layers weren’t working for her, were they? Because her hair is so fine, they just look stringy and make it look like she has even LESS hair.

I think the blunt cut is much better: her hair looks thicker and instantly 1,000 times more modern. Agree?

Now I’m not saying you shouldn’t have any layers at all. But if you do, they should be as LONG as possible. Like this:

Naomi Watts long layers Got fine, straight, long hair like Naomi Watts? Dont listen to silly hairdressers who want to layer it

DO NOT let your hairdresser try to tell you that layering your hair halfway up your head is the answer. I’ve been there, done that (got the T-shirt) and you’ll hate it. Trust. Layers may work just fine on curly hair but they’re not a one-size-fits-all solution for all hair types.

The lesson: Get a cut that works with your natural texture

Forget about what’s in style.

And don’t let your hairdresser talk you into a cut that requires tons of product/styling tools to look halfway decent.

Find someone who’ll give you a cut that works with what God gave you. (Granted, this is easier said than done in this town.)

But this is why, as I said, Bill’s giving me blunt cuts for YEARS now. I still remember, in our early days together, him telling me: “There’s not much you can do with your hair texture so focus on the colour, not the cut.” Wise advice.

So tell me…

Does YOUR hairdresser know how to work with your natural texture?
Do you even agree with my stance on layers?
Have you seen Salt yet? Speaking of hairstyles, that Angelina sure is rocking a lot of different ones in that movie…

Elaine
Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 3:55 pm

My hairdresser knows how to work with my texture – she’s actually a goddess! I went into her after getting a blunt cut that looked absolutely horrible (i looked like a 12-year-old trying to be 21…). Although i’ve had a horrible blunt cut, I do agree with your stance on layers – if your hair is fine and straight. Mine is fine, but has a slight wave to it so i tend to get “Spaniel ears” if my layers aren’t short enough.

and i saw Salt, and was really quite excited to see it, but i left pretty disappointed. I love Angelina though, and how kick-ass she is! Props to her for taking on a role that was originally written for a man, and totally owning it.

Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 7:02 pm

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not against layers for any kind of curl… you need them, otherwise you end up with a triangle head. (Or Spaniel ears as you say… haha)

Too bad about Salt! I guess it’s a rental then.

Kamila
Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 4:45 pm

Thank you for this post. I’ve had similar experiences with stylists trying to talk me into layers. I have lots of fine, straight hair and a blunt cut I got last year (similar to Naomi Watts’s but with blunt bangs) made all the difference in the world. My hair looks thick without piling on products and there’s no more string-y growing out stage.

Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 7:05 pm

So glad you feel the same… and that you’re rocking the blunt cut as well! I LOVE blunt bangs – they look especially great on blondes. I think Naomi’s hair would look even better if she had them.

Autstuff
Wednesday, August 11/2010 at 8:19 pm

It is actually INSANE how much better Naomi looks with a blunt cut!

I’m very grateful that after YEARS (too many!) of bad haircuts I’ve finally found a hairdresser who works with my a) hair texture and b) face shape. Why is that so rare??

Thursday, August 12/2010 at 8:10 pm

I don’t know, but it’s worrisome! I wish I could be a fly on the wall at a hairdressing school and find out what they’re teaching. You know, I find it’s the self-taught people that are often the best. In hair and in makeup. Bill, who does my hair, didn’t pick up any weird ideas about how to cut – he just KNOWS.

Glad you’ve managed to find one of the rare people that gets it!

Tare
Sunday, November 27/2011 at 1:35 pm

It’s because most hairstylists are either too lazy to work with a clients features and would rather just do a basic haircut, or, they went to school before face shape and working with texture was taught and haven’t bothered to continue their education.

Catherine Cameron
Monday, July 8/2013 at 8:04 pm

Oh yes, I agree self taught also follow their instinct. I have never ever had layers or coloured my hair. If one had mid to long hair and desires a true blunt trim, find a barber. “Mine” is an older Italian man, a master who also taught the craft. Ya know: from the “old country”

Born with red hair it is now a golden red colour. With a blunt long cut I am able to have it straight or may curl the lower half with those cheap pink sponge rollers etc.

Being terrorised (not an exaggeration) as a kid for having red hair everything totally changed as I became older. I have never been to a posh hair dresser but receive complements regarding my hair on a weekly basis as an adult. They come fro both women, men old and young.

I sometimes think God did this for payback.

So, if your looking for a proper time/no layers check out a barber.

PS. I was turned onto barbers from a long- haired friend

em
Thursday, August 12/2010 at 12:57 pm

I totally agree every time I go for a haircut they insists on doing more layers or “freshening up” my layers I wanted a blunt cut for so long but my hairdresser always says layers look better. Its so annoying thats why I change salons SO much they just dont listen! I think they need to teach a class on listening skills in beauty school this has happened so many times with me.

Thursday, August 12/2010 at 8:12 pm

Yup! And they wonder why we cheat on them all the time!
I guess the best thing to do is to bring a photo and insist on that exact cut. I really hate when they try to do their own thing, but it’s so hard to argue when you’re sitting captive in their chair and they are holding scissors!

Liza
Thursday, August 12/2010 at 6:04 pm

Yes! So true! Of course, with my wavy to curly hair, too many layers can give me a total ‘fro. Very uncool.

But it’s that schoolmarm as hair-stylist voice that kills me. And makes me feel like a bad child. And makes me never want to go back. The same voice saying “Hmmm. Who cut your hair?” Hateful.
Which I why I love the great haircuts and all around great guy-ness of Montreal’s Alain Larivée (of CAJH Maitre Coiffeurs in Montreal.) BTW – that top image of Naomi W – that would look great on you: the hair, the makeup. Thoughts?

Thursday, August 12/2010 at 8:18 pm

They TOTALLY have the schoolmarm voice. Terrible. And they must teach them to say “Who cut your hair?”
(Shudder.)
And then you can feel the judgement. It’s like they have to criticize the work that came before in order to make themselves feel better. Terrible sales tactic.

I’ve never had Alain do my hair – he came after the Swearing Off All Free Cuts period… but yes he’s a sweetie.

I’ve had Naomi’s style of super-blunt hair before but right now Bill is feeling long so I just do what he says. (That’s the great thing about him – I just sit there and say “do what you want” and I have total trust.) I’ll go back to it someday though.

And Naomi’s makeup? YES – love the smokey. The problem is that most eye makeup disappears on me because of my non-existent eyelids. But will try…just for you :-)

Liza
Thursday, August 12/2010 at 9:33 pm

Non existent eyelids? I did not notice. Perhaps you are exaggerating.

I think it would really suit you – the lip colour, the cheeks, the porcelain skin, the many many coats of mascara…all you need is the nubbly strapless dress.

Thursday, August 19/2010 at 5:31 pm

Wait until you see the David Goveia makeup – he told me to always, always do eyes. (not lips) Apparently I have not been applying enough mascara…

Oh, and he told me my eyes are more “Asian” even than other people at the event that actually ARE Asian. Go figure.

Gimped
Friday, August 13/2010 at 11:28 am

I have the finest hair and it’s so hard to find a hairstyle that works. My pixie cut was awesome, but I rocked that for years and needed a change. Right now I’m in the process of getting it healthy after a bleach disaster, and growing it out in hopes of trying the angled bob look. No one has told me it’s the wrong look for me, so here’s hoping I’m heading in the right direction.

OMG, do not get me started on bad hair fiascoes … I’ve been to hell and back with my quaff in the last 6 months, with a few perms and colours gone wrong over the years. Oh, and did I mention a really BAD attempt at the Rachael cut? SUPER bad example of layers gone wrong!!! I try to have the “it’s only hair, it’ll grow back” opinion, but that doesn’t always work … especially when you’re hair has been over-bleached and is falling out!!!

The hard part for me right now is finding a hair stylist that I can trust. I’ve asked TONS of stylists all over Toronto for advice on caring for my severely damaged hair, every one of them saying something different. I’ve tried expensive salons, thinking the “you get what you pay for” thing came into play … good cut, bad colour!! How do you find someone to give you a good cut for your face/body style when you’ve lost all faith in them?

Thursday, August 19/2010 at 6:45 pm

Poor Gimped! I hear you—you would think us beauty editor people would know all the good hair people in this town, but sadly there aren’t too many places I would rave about. I think the best thing to do is to spy on people – start people watching and if there is someone you see with a cut/colour you like, ideally with a face/body shape similar to your own, track them down and ask them who they go to! Otherwise it’s hard to judge a hairdresser’s work… it’s not like they give you references. (Although I think they should!)

This is how I found my current colourist, and my mom found Bill Angst, the guy who cuts our hair, from watching the makeovers on Cityline. She spent about 6 months making notes on the makeovers and decided that Bill’s were always the best. (I guess beauty geekiness runs in the family.)

I can 100% recommend Bill for a cut – I sent one reader there already and she wrote to say how thrilled she is. He’s expensive though ($150)… but in my book, the man can do no wrong.

Mandy B
Thursday, August 19/2010 at 10:01 pm

I have very fine, very straight, very thick hair and I was always told by every stylist i went to that “you need layers” (otherwise I get the broomstick effect). Till one day, I finally found my HG stylist. She keeps the outside one length and uses a razor to thin everything out from underneath. It’s pure hair magic, and keeps it sleek and sophisticated with zero maintenance on my part. And no more stringy layers!

Saturday, August 21/2010 at 3:05 pm

Yay! I must confess, I’ve never had a razor cut…kinda scared of them! But I have a friend, also with straight hair, who swears by them too.

joanne
Friday, August 27/2010 at 8:32 am

Was surprised to read that straight haired suffer as much as curly haired re: trying to find a hairdresser. I just wander from salon to salon. I’ve tried bringing pictures, they nod and then do whatever they want.

Anyone have any tips re: a good hairdresser in Montreal? I’ve tried Alain …the first cut was fine, but the second time was horrible.

Sunday, August 29/2010 at 11:36 am

Hahaha – that’s hilarious. (Well not really since it’s your hair on the line.) But soooo true – I know exactly what you’re talking about re: the nodding/doing whatever they want.

Honestly, the only hairdresser in Montreal that I know is Alain (since he’s the John Frieda spokesperson). Let me see if I can post something to Twitter and get some Montrealers to recommend some places.

Rachel
Monday, September 13/2010 at 6:49 pm

Thank you a billion times over! I need to secretly send these comments to several salons nation wide. I have fine, straight (though thick) blonde hair exactly like Naomi’s and EVERY hair stylist wants to give me “fringe”. It’s the worst cut anyone can get for this type of hair, and it doesn’t need to be prepped with goopy hair products they claim will “give it volume”!!! I’ve got a tip: clean, conditioned, highlighted/colored, bluntly cut hair will have “volume”.

Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:37 pm

Haha – so good to see all of us fine & straight-haired types coming out of the woodwork after years of hairdresser abuse!

What is REALLY telling is that I had my hair done by Sally Hershberger’s right hand men on Friday (they were in from NYC—post on that coming soon). Anyway, if you know anything about Sally, you know that she is the QUEEN of layers.

WELL… even those guys told me that I shouldn’t get layers. Just like you said—they recommended a blunt cut, a few inches past the shoulders so basically what I already have (I’m just overdue for a cut right now).

So yeah… don’t let these One Cut Fits All hairdressers tell you anything different! :-)

Jemima
Friday, October 22/2010 at 12:00 am

Hi everyone :)
I was very glad to read these comments – and yes, straight fine to medium hair actually needs a very skilled, well-trained stylist (probably moreso than for curly hair as straight hair shows up flaws in cutting x 100 times more!).And yes…yawn…I am a victim of the layering maniac too :(
Last (ever) visit to a ‘trendy’ high priced salon in Barnsley, South Yorkshire UK as after first wash, I found that their “lets choppy it up a bit shall we!” handiwork was actually NOT the easy-care, sleek, jolly little shoulder length bob my fine to medium (lots of it), dark brown (and actually very healthy and shiny!) straight hair required. Neither did the chopped up over layered mess allow for my quiet, reserved personality or my small ‘quiet’ face shape either – Oh! and the nasty little git threw in a comment about ‘making you look younger too!!’.(hmm, Im usually told I look 35 not 48 and I dont care anyway…looking good WHATEVER my age matters more!)..so – being a bit pre-menopausal, shy and recently bereaved of my mum – wanting to cheer myself up – I ‘let him do what he thought’. I am now in tears most mornings with my wispy dried up ends just touching my shoulder tops and a great thick lump of over-layered, uneven layered ‘hair’ at about ear height – some of it is shorter that this actually! It doesnt move at all or swing in a healthy shiny way as it did, it looks dull (due to all the layers), thin and dead or thick and immobile. The whole thing is vile. The longest layer is 15″ long, shortest layer way up on back of head is 4″ long. My face looks rugged now – reflecting the rugged ragged hair style. Any advice AT ALL would help please! my hubby says keep having the longest layers snipped, ‘catch it all up together and it will take 1 year and then go somewhere established and take a pic of Thandie Newton’s bob….I am trying, but am heartbroken. :( thanks for reading my woes! Jemima xx ps. to make it worse…I went back to complain, he told me that a dark red rinse and some tongs would help..did I want to purchase these?!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:26 pm

Oh my gosh Jemima! So sorry to hear about your hair woes!! Why are these people such BUTCHERS? Gawd it drives me nuts. And you’re right – when they layer it so much it takes away all the shine and looks so thin and lifeless.

I think the only thing you can do right now is to maybe get someone to just trim the bottom ONLY – not to take off any length but just to make it really blunt so you don’t get the wispy, raggedy ends. Then you’re going to have to let the shorter layers on top grow in. But I would not go back to the same place that did you in the first time! Can you ask around – even stop someone on the street whose hair you admire – and get some recommendations? I find that’s the best way to find a good haircutter.

You’ll probably want to get a few trims along the way as it grows out – just keep trimming the bottom layer up so that it matches the top ones. As the layers grow and start to match up it will start to feel thicker. Don’t let them cut the layers to “freshen them up” – just leave them until they grow long again.

I would stay away from colour if you’re happy with your current shade – ain’t nothin’ that’s gonna do to bring your hair back! And I don’t trust that place anyway. But playing with your hair texture will definitely help… I’d try to wear it a bit wavier if you can, it will disguise the layers. Try hot rollers, velcro rollers, curling with a flat iron or even old-fashioned pin curls. Brush out the curls and it should give it some body and fullness.

Maybe invest in a beach hair texturizer (like a sea spray) to give your hair more body. I really love root-lifting products as well for fine, straight hair.

Oh and try playing around with where you part your hair… and maybe adding some hair accessories too. You could try pinning it half up, or behind one ear…something like that. Sometimes changing your usual style is the only way to get through the horrible growing out process.

I hope those tips help somewhat!

issy98999
Tuesday, February 8/2011 at 7:46 pm

I’m getting layers and im a middle school kid so i dont know if this is the best choice for me i have really long really strait hair but idk will the layers look good??? please help im young and i dont want to make the biggest mistake of my life people tell me how they love my hair now so idk what will happen after we will see PLEASE HELP!!!???

Friday, February 11/2011 at 7:29 pm

If your hair is very fine I wouldn’t recommend layers at all (and keeping your hair on the shorter side will help it look thicker). But if it’s medium-thick then you can probably pull off long layers… just don’t let them cut them too short. Chin-length and longer is best.

Lane
Monday, April 18/2011 at 7:39 am

Oh dear, I feel like my life is flashing before my eyes reading this! (Bit too dramatic maybe?) But similarily, i have fine hair but not much of it. ie its thin on my head also. Highlights, drying my hair upside-down & dry shampoo are my fail-safes. But after too many years of blunt cuts and bobs making me look 12 I’m too scared to say no to the layers. I’m convinced adding a few all the way around for an inch or two at the end give some nice movement but after seeing the pics of Naomi i see that having them framing the face is a no-no.
Does this make sense and is it even possible- to have some at the end or does this defeat the ‘blunt’ rule?
Unfortunately, finding a trusted hairdresser is out of the question at the moment as i’m moving around a lot for work so i end up being super strict about what i ask for. Maybe i’ve been asking for the wrong cut?!

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 4:01 pm

I like layers around the face – just a few, it makes you look softer – but prefer the rest of the ends pretty blunt. I’m super strict with hairdressers too (at least colourists) so not to worry! Until you develop trust, you kind of have to be a little dictator to get the results you want. The best way is to bring photos instead of trying to describe with words. Gossip mags are best for this because you see celebs that aren’t heavily styled – instead of looking at models in photo shoots with good lighting!

Alexia
Wednesday, June 22/2011 at 5:25 pm

This article is so right on, and should be REQUIRED READING FOR ALL STYLISTS!!
I have very fine hair, and for years, every single hairdresser that I’ve ever gone has told me the same thing “if you cut layers into fine hair, it makes it look thicker”. BS!!! So, for years, in hopes of having beautiful looking hair, I’ve had my hair hacked into thin, see-through strands. :( Terrible. Finally, I “wised-up”, and have been growing out those terrible layers into a hairstyle that’s all one length. The top part of my hair looks/feels thicker and full. I keep getting blunt trims on the bottom (by my mom, by the way — hahaa — I’ve sworn off ‘high-end’ stylists who only destroy my hair), and soon my whole head will be one length. I’m FINALLY really starting to like my hair. I really don’t understand why it took me so long to realize WHY my hair looked so frail and thin — stupid layers! Thanks for letting me vent!! :)

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 10:35 pm

Welcome! And congrats on ditching the layers!

Gina
Sunday, June 26/2011 at 11:29 pm

I’m so happy that you did this post! I have long, straight, fine hair as well. Right now I have a blunt cut in the back with it a bit shorter around my face and in the front, and I’m thinking about getting a v-cut but I’m not sure if it will make my hair look thinner? also im not sure if I should have face framing layers or not?

Sunday, July 24/2011 at 10:18 pm

I think the V shape is best on thicker hair. A few layers around the face would be fine though!

Whitworth
Wednesday, June 29/2011 at 8:28 am

Completely agree. What are they teaching hair dressers in school? Never EVER layer fine, thin, straight hair. I have ended up crying every time I’ve ever let a know it all hair dresser talk me into it. I wish I had thicker hair and could wear long sexy layers but the facts are there. I just can’t.

Denise
Friday, July 29/2011 at 2:22 pm

Professional here and I agree and funny I also agree with the comment the best hair and makeup artists are self taught. Not that I recommend skipping cosmo school you need the basics, and you pick up tips, shortcuts, etc there and from coworkers and bosses imo to be exceptional you need to trust yourself and your own instincts. And most self taught people in any field are great listeners and researchers. We all know just how important listening is for a stylist.

I too have always been against moderate to heavy layering of fine straight hair. You can’t have the “long, sexy layers” not my words but you have the ideal hair for the slinky straight styles. The ABSOLUTE best hair for a blunt cut fringe whether chin length like Louise Brooks shine gorgeous helmet, or longer ( in NY we unpc like call this the “china doll cut”).
Also another option for this type of hair is keeping the all or mostly one length which is key, but losing the blunt cut, a shattered perimeter. I love this look

Sunday, July 31/2011 at 9:52 am

Glad to have a pro agree! What is the shattered perimeter?

jemima
Wednesday, August 10/2011 at 6:18 pm

i’m only in high school, but i’ve already had my share of bad hair cuts to last me a lifetime. I have baby fine, pin straight hair that lies completely flat against my head. Every single time I go to salon I ask for layers because of the countless magazine’s i’ve read saying that layers will create volume and lift, and hoping that I will come out of the salon with voluminous hair..no such luck. It has finally dawned upon me that the only time when I am somewhat happy with my hair is when I haven’t had it cut in months, when it is long, and the layers have almost all grown out. I look back at pictures of myself, and the ones where my hair looks nice are the ones where my hair is almost all one length. I’m getting my hair cut soon (for the first time in a couple of months…really need to chop off those split ends!) and I see why face framing layers can not work just by looking at the picture, but having my hair one length all over just isn’t going to work for me. I need something, some little pieces of hair at the front of my face that I can braid back, pin back,.. basically just subtle face framing layers. But I don’t want to ask for some some subtle face framing layers and then for the stylist to go all out. I’m afraid of recreating one of my past hair nightmares. Any suggestions on what I should ask for?

Saturday, August 13/2011 at 5:41 pm

Oh I’m not against a few layers at the front, or even long layers all over… it’s the very short ones, like halfway up your head, that I’ve had bad experiences with. I do love an all-over blunt cut as well, but long layers that are just a few inches shorter than the bottom are fine to give hair some movement.

I would be very clear with your hairdresser about the overall length and then show him/her the very shortest you want your layers. For around the face, I love a side bang (or long bangs parted in the middle). Photos are the best way to communicate, so make sure to bring in pics of styles you like. For example I love Sienna Miller’s cut – slightly layered at the ends and face-framing long bangs.

Sabina
Tuesday, September 27/2011 at 7:13 pm

Glad I found you, but too late! Just had my haircut this Saturday and I have been trying to explain to so many hairdressers that have been highly recommended to me that I don’t want layers because it doesn’t work for me! All the pictures of what I want, and what I DON’T want to look like just don’t do any magic. I still end up going out of that salon with layers that I hate so much because it makes my light, thin, very straight hair look so dull and dead! I really hate my haircut and want to get rid of these stupid layers. The shortest layers are just about touching my shoulders and I would go that short (my actual hair was just a bit longer than my lats on my back) to get it fixed and go blunt. Any advice? My problem is when I do force the hairdresser not to put ANY layers into my hair, the ends of my hair are very heavy and don’t look right. I asked for her to slice into the ends to thin it down, but still didn’t do what it’s supposed to. Can you help me find professional hairdressing terms and very good picture examples of the front & back of long haircut showcasing what has to be done? I find it very difficult to find great pictures showing the back of a haircut that I want, so then every hairdresser insists there must be layers in the back we just don’t see them.

I hate my haircut sooooo much :(

Monday, October 3/2011 at 5:25 pm

Us Weekly or any gossip mag is my go-to for hair pics… but yeah I’m not sure you’ll be able to find something this specific and from the back. It sounds like the problem is more the actual hairdresser you’re going to if they’re giving you bad blunt cuts. I’ve been getting blunted ends for years and have never felt that they looked “heavy.” I think what my hairdresser (Bill Angst in Toronto) does is cut it ever so slightly shorter underneath (like we’re talking milimetres). Have no idea what this is called though and probably there are other techniques.

I would recommend stalking girls in your city :-) who have the same hair texture as you and the cut you’d like. And then have lots of consultations until you find someone who gets it.

Lauren
Wednesday, October 12/2011 at 2:09 am

Hey, just a shout out – can you tag along with me tomorrow to my hair appointment? It’s in Adelaide, South Australia @ 1:00pm. I need some extra girl power when I ask my hair stylist to give this fine, thin and straight haired girl a blunt cut. AND NO DAMN LAYERS thankyou very much. Wish me luck, i’ll need it.

Shannon Adolph
Wednesday, November 2/2011 at 6:02 pm

Is it called an undercut? I usually either get that or a blunt/straight cut after years of hating my layers, but thinking it was my only choice!! Undercut is what my stylist called it when they cut the underneath slightly shorter than the top… it is supposed to make the ends turn under slightly, although it doesn’t really work on me.

Jane
Sunday, November 20/2011 at 1:02 am

You’re so right.
I have thin, fine hair, and almost every hairdresser would cut lots of short layers in it,, and thin it out,so it just looked even thinner scraggly- I couldn’t even condition the ends, as it made them look greasy because there was no weight in it ! I finally found a hairdresser who actually listened, and gave me a blunt cut with just a few long layers, and it looks like a different head of hair!

Katie
Wednesday, November 23/2011 at 12:03 pm

Thank you for this post. I finally took your advice and requested a blunt cut when I went to my stylist yesterday. She cut off 3″ of layers and my hair looks and feels so thick and full and it’s bouncy! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to layers.

Katie
Thursday, December 29/2011 at 10:10 am

I’m still so happy with my blunt cut that I wanted to follow up for anyone hesitating trying this style. I no longer fight with my hair in the morning and I actually do less styling and spend less time on it and it looks better than it ever did before.

Sabina
Thursday, December 29/2011 at 10:36 am

So, is that all you asked for, a blunt cut and you actually got one?? I don’t believe you!!

All jokes aside, do you find your ends too heavy and thick, or did she point cut the ends to get rid of the thickness?

Last time I got a blunt cut, it was straight up blunt cut and it looked like my mom cut my hair. My ends were way too heavy and so thick it ruined the whole haircut. Any advice on what the actually say to the hairdresser when it comes to your ends?? I’ve become so frustrated with my haircuts I actually want to come to the salon with a list of directions and just make sure they follow them, and hopefully come out with the hair like I want. Last hairdresser that gave me the blunt cut basically ended up saying I said I didn’t want layers and that’s why the ends are so thick lol. You can’t win!!

Katie
Thursday, December 29/2011 at 10:45 am

I have a good relationship with my hairstylist, so she listens to me. That helps. :) But what helped the most was saying that I wanted to go for a complete change, something totally different. I think that helped shift her to understanding what I really wanted. Then I said that I wanted to get rid of all of my layers and have a blunt cut with no layers, no thinning, no point cutting, no nothing.

We looked over my hair and determined how many inches to take off to obtain this, but not get too short for my comfort. This did mean leaving some slight layers around my face because I didn’t want a short bob. My ends are much heavier than before, but it looks good. You might ask for just slight layers on literally the bottom 1″ of your hair to get rid of the heavy edge, but not actually thin out your hair?

Jane
Sunday, November 27/2011 at 12:51 am

You are so right!
I have fine , quite thin hair, and most hairdressers I have ever been to layer it heavily with short layers , , and feather the endsI hate, as it looks like a man’s cut, and I could never style it properly. I now have a hairdresser who has cut just a few long , and left the ends blunt, and hey presto it takes no time to style and looks 10 times thicker!

Sandra
Thursday, December 15/2011 at 8:59 am

I have thin, pin straight hair and my worst cut was when a hairdresser told me she needed to cut some short layers in my long hair, to give me volume. Because my hair being so thin at the back, I ended up looking like I had a mullet. Fortunately, that is in the past, but i am still not happy with my hair.
I would like a blunt cut, but I am affraid it wouldn’t look good on me cos I have a square face shape and it would make me look harsh. I am thinking long layers would be a better choice for me.

gayle
Wednesday, December 28/2011 at 2:55 pm

I was so happy to see these posts. I don’t have straight hair… in fact, my hair is very curly… but I have come across all the problems listed and feel comforted by the fact that I am not alone. I especially laughed about the part where the hairdressers nod to my request, and then do whatever they want. Don’t I know it. I just had my hair cut last week.. all I asked was that she not cut more than 1 cm at any level.. she nodded and then cut 5 cm off the top. I can also relate to them wanting to push “latest fashion” styles, even though it has nothing to do with my hair texture and cannot be re-created without the use of flat irons and tons of product. For thin, curly hair, the problem isn’t layers, but thinning and texturizing. As many times as I say not to it, they still go ahead and do it…leaving me with straggly hair.

For the person who mentioned having gone to Alain at Cajh… I had the same experience.. one pretty good cut followed by a horrible one. It was about 10 years ago, but I still can’t forget how awful it was.

One thing I have learned is to follow your instincts. If you have a feeling that the stylist is not listening..leave. Same thing for those who don’t want to look at your hair before it is washed. If, as the cut starts, you see them going off in their own direction..leave. It is easier to wait for one spot to grow in than a whole head of hair. Be wary of stylists who say “trust me..I’m a professional”. Also, stylists who win awards, work in magazines, etc., are not interested in anyone who doesn’t have “good” hair. I would also suggest that if you get a bad cut by someone with attitude that you go elsewhere to have it fixed. I’ve never had a successful repair done by the original stylist. (Oddly, I have had several “repair” cuts at a second salon that were quite good. But then when I went back for a “from scratch” cut, they completely screwed it up.)

Lastly, I would say that my least bad haircuts have been at cheap places in malls, etc. The stylists there have less attitude and seem to want to please their clients rather than themselves. (although sometimes the technique is lacking..but they can be trained)

Karen
Thursday, February 2/2012 at 2:02 pm

I actually go to a cosmotology school to get my haircut. I have fine hair, and a student at the school was the first person to ever tell me not to get layers in my hair. I was so glad I had gone to her and not my usual hairstylist. I had almost grown out my layers and am keeping it shoulder length, but I had thought about going back to layers. She convince me not to, and I was very happy that I listened.

Kim
Sunday, February 5/2012 at 10:54 pm

After years of horrid layers, razor cuts, etc, I have now developed major trust issues with anyone brandishing scissors! Finally my layers have grown out, as I only let my husband cut my hair – one straight line across the bottom. Easy peasy!

Iva
Wednesday, August 15/2012 at 12:57 am

I get a blunt cut, then have my stylist Tatiana use blocking/thinning shears and use the notching/slithering technique on the ends and the crown to give my fine, limp hair texture and volume.

Layers on fine hair is a mark of a lazy or uninspired stylist IMHO.

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 3:08 pm

Well-most are Lazy and Uninspired–yet want to earn a nice living…by just over layering our manes!
I now also have a trust issue – with anyone brandishing scissors!

Sierra
Friday, September 7/2012 at 1:43 pm

I finally found a stylist that understands this. Unfortunately she isn’t in the city where I live, so I can only go once or twice a year when I go to visit my dad (after a 2.5 hour plane ride lol). I’ve had stylists cut so many layers into my hair thinking that it’ll cut out some of the weight at the bottom that it turned out looking stringy and greasy.

Now I just ask for some framing starting under my chin, then a couple long layers and thinning at the ends to break it up. I have long hair, so it lays nicely with the couple of layers, but when it’s shorter it looks a little like a cotton candy puff (I’ve considered dying it light pink before just to see what it looks like, but thankfully talked myself out it)

Adrienne Gabriel
Tuesday, November 6/2012 at 3:07 pm

I agree. The last place put so many layers in my hair, I feel bald. And to top it off, they used a razor to angle the sides. Now the sides are all wispy. You don’t use a razor on thin hair!!!

Angel
Saturday, November 10/2012 at 12:16 pm

From when I was a kid I went to a certain hairdresser who always gave me kind of the same thing no matter what I asked for. The. Same. Layered. Thing.
Ughh.
After that I’ve tried a few hair dressers, but none really impressed me, I hated going to the hair dresser because I my hair way always okay, never gorgeous. So I just started cutting my own hair when it got too long (no bangs, no layers, no nothing).
Then on a weekend vacation I saw some random place and thought, oh well, I’ll give it a try.
GORGEOUS! I just asked for more shape to my straight, she wanted to also remove some more length, I said okay, and BAM! Best ever.

Justine
Monday, November 19/2012 at 10:01 am

I have fine hair, that I’m in the process of growing out. Haven’t had long hair since I was about 10, & I had to great idea to keep it in a short chin length bob until about 18 years old. Now I’m itching for it to grow long, but the thin blonde hair I have (much… exactlyy like Naomi Watts) is making it seem impossible.
So anyways, thank you for the tip! I’ve always gotten layers (mostly long) with my haircuts. So now I’ll see what a blunt cut does for me!

Ellie
Monday, December 17/2012 at 10:05 pm

I love, love,love this article!!! I have thin and straight hair, and I couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately, the most recent hair cut I got, the hairdresser went against my wishes for no layers mangled my hair. Now I have these horrible, stringy, and very SHORT front layers. Any advice on how to fix this so I don’t hate my hair so much until it grows out???? Thank you

jane
Saturday, January 12/2013 at 2:10 pm

Hi, I have extremely fine thin hair, chin-length, which every hairdresser I ever went to would cut really short top layers into, saying it “would give it volume”( it didn’t!),and thin out the sides, so it looked really wispy, like an old 70′s feather cut. One stylist even commented that it looked like two cuts in one!
I absolutely hated it, but now I just ask for a few LONG layers, and blunt ends, and it looks much thicker and up to date.
The best thing to do with really short layers is simply to pin one or twoof them back so they don’t show, and if the sides are thinned out and straggly, as mine were, just push one side behind the ear! It’s not ideal, but at least you will be able to live with it while the layers grow! I had to wear my hair like this for nearly 2 years until about a month ago,after being a “victim” of thinning, as the layers grew !

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 2:59 pm

Thank you! Layers are NOT the answer – as every idiot stylist without know-how believes. Especially on fine hair. Layering only equals more maintenance…and product usage. A nice blunt cut with very few long layers in the front do wonders for a fine mane. But of course, that doesn’t create future, and ongoing appts. for these stylists–which is what it’s all about…the almighty dollar.
I Hate layering by the way. It weakend the hair – especially when they butcher the hair with those “shears” and start texturizing like a mad scientist.

Amy
Friday, January 25/2013 at 1:06 am

Amen, sister!

The problem I have is that I have found exactly 1 hair salon whose stylists consistently make my fine, straight, blah hair look amazing just by hanging there like it should. And this salon (Salon Red, in Decatur, GA) is, according to the internet, 8,680 miles from where I now live (in Africa).

I tell you, though, it is almost worth the $2,000 to get there. Sigh.

Elena
Friday, March 8/2013 at 11:13 am

Ok, i almost shed a tear! hahaha!! THANK YOU! You must be the first person who actually agrees with what i’ve been saying for years!!!! My hair is fine with not much volume.So every single hair-dresser and every single magazine, beauty website etc has been trying to convince me that “layers will give volume and movement to my fine hair”. BS!! All layers do is emphasize it even more, and make my ends look like rat’s tales.Plus, blunt cuts make it so much easier to maintain healthy ends!

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 3:02 pm

HAHA! Rat tails! Precisely. I thought I was alone on this view. But it’s true. Fine hair that has been butchered with too much layering – looks awful, and weak, broken, and dead. I see tons of women in NYC walking around – looking as though they have no hair in the back of their heads. Why? Because of over layering. It leaves one with a straggly look…who wants that? Healthy, bouncy, and a voluminous look and healthy ends – is what we want – no??

Jillian
Monday, March 11/2013 at 10:31 pm

Well, I don’t have long, straight, fine hair (long and fine, but not straight), but I am intimately familiar with the whole “hairdresser-knows-best” syndrome. Why do they always cut off more than I tell them to? (Is it like some ritual sacrifice to their shears, or what?) So here is my problem:

a) I want to tell my hairdresser to stop cutting my hair so short
b) I want to do it in such a way that doesn’t make her give me a “revenge cut”.

Any suggestions on polite yet effective ways to to tell the hairdresser to STOP TAKING MY HAIR ??

Renee
Monday, March 18/2013 at 12:38 pm

Thank you so much for the advice. I have long, straight, fine hair and I have been looking for the best cut possible for my hair. I am going to try the blunt cut with a few long layers around the face but I really cannot “do” bangs, even long bangs – they get on my nerves because I do not like having hair in my face. Will this be ok? I am very low maintenance – only really style my hair and wear make-up when I go out on the weekends. Thanks again.

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 2:56 pm

Keep in mind, that some stylists – cut – for repeat business. That is, they WANT their clientele – to get color that requires maintenance. Why? Because this spells into added business. A cut that is too simple–like a blunt cut – doesn’t require many more quick upcoming visits to them. All that requires are trims – possibly every other month – but if you get a pixie cut, or one of those ugly bobs–you need to see a stylist more often for re-shaping. Cha-ching…into their wallet. It’s a business, like anything else.

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 2:53 pm

99.9% of hairdresser in NYC – seem to subscribe to the idea that layering (in general) adds body and volume to ANY hair. When clearly – it DOES NOT! I have fine hair – and yes, it’s long–but I don’t like the wispy, thinning look that layers does to my hair – it leaves it looking frail and straggly – and especially when these scissor-mad stylists start to “over texturize”–by not cutting straight lines – but into the ends. Why do they do that? What’s with the shears?

Elle
Tuesday, March 19/2013 at 3:12 pm

Funny – Please say NO to layers! It’s truly outdated…and makes fine hair – look straggly, finer, limper, greasy, and weak! No layers for fine hair. And for the women who think that by heavily high-lighting their tresses, it’s going to make a difference. Not! The combination of over highlighted and layered hair – is “Cheesy”…and very unappealing. Not up to date at all…it actually goes well with “Mom Jeans” on the soccer fields! lol.

Bárbara
Thursday, March 28/2013 at 2:58 pm

Completely agree! But layers on long, thick, wavy hair are gorgeous

Pamela
Sunday, April 7/2013 at 12:57 am

The ONLY way I can have long hair without looking like a half drowned wildebeast is with one length/blunt cut or with a few face framing bangs. I too have been the victim of razor cuts, texturizing, and of over zealous weed wacker stylists. Razor cuts look good when you leave the salon, but a few days later the ends just get so unhealthy and fly away. NOT attractive and hard to style without being a slave to a daily hair routine. Plus , blunt cuts make people look more youthful, in my opinion.

dizzy
Monday, June 10/2013 at 2:31 am

I find that my hair looks best with about three layers. When there are too many, it looks too wispy and i don’t have enough hair in the bottom layer. When there are none, all of my hair weighs itself down and appears limp.

I believe that this is due to the fact that my hair has a slight inward flick to it. If i have a layer at chin length, one at collarbone length, and the last layer just touching the tops of my breasts, it has a cascading, waterfall-like effect.

But since my hair is so fine (and very heavy since it’s also thick) when all of it’s the same length it just kinda hangs there. A few long layers do add movement and body to my hair.

I’ve been asked a lot by people my age how i get my hair to look the way it does and i never know what to say :P Most people think i use a roundbrush while blowdrying.

As a sidenote, my hair never ever dries. It’d take over an hour to blowdry my hair on the highest setting. The best thing i can do is brush it gently while wet and scrunch the water out so that at least it’s not dripping. Is water retention a common problem with fine hair?

Paga
Wednesday, July 17/2013 at 1:41 am

This is so true! I had a stylist who tried to layer my thin hair and it just made it look even thinner and choppy! Worst hair decision ever! However, I learned so much more about my hair from that experience.

Leigh
Wednesday, July 17/2013 at 3:40 am

felt this post was my calling and had had had to comment. for years and years I moved around different hairdressers – like as hairdresser floozy as you say :) felt like no one ever listened to me and always ended up unhappy and sprinting home to rectify the damage. Ended up on a hairdresser hiatus maybe 3 years ago.

Last year I discovered my mothers middle aged hairdresser in my small home town and came out of my hiatus. Shes amazing! Blunt cut all the way! never been offered layers! I’ve never been so vain about my hair :D Point of the story find a hairdresser who LISTENS and if in doubt blunt cut those locks x

Reno
Saturday, July 20/2013 at 11:04 am

After about 20 years of trying to get hair stylists to blunt cut my hair and being coerced into perms and layers instead (perms last about two weeks and make my hair break, leaving it a mess afterward), I stopped trying to find a good stylist. I started cutting my hair myself, and did much better. After some years I decided I wanted to grow my hair long. Stylists had told me repeatedly that long simply would not work with my hair type – they preferred lots of perms and some form of pixie cut. Cute, but what too much trouble. I now wear my hair as long as it will get – which turns out to be waist length. That was a surprise, because when I was letting hair stylists mess with it, it always broke off at about shoulder length from dryness and perm damage. I don’t sleep on rollers or do anything much with it. There are any number of great ponytail, braid, bun, and twist do’s that look stylish and professional with fine straight hair (and most will also keep it from tangling). Why don’t we hear about them? Possibly because we can do them ourselves and the average stylist would be out of business.

BTW, I see a picture just below this form which shows a woman combing out wet hair. If you have fine, straight hair you should NEVER do this – it will damage your hair. Wait until your hair dries before combing, and finger comb first. There are many tricks for helping you fine, straight hair become more healthy and strong, and most have little or nothing to do with expensive products from salons. Treat your fine, straight hair gently and it will reward you.

yvonne
Monday, July 22/2013 at 11:10 pm

As a hairdresser, I take some offense to your article. While I have lots of years under my belt as a hairdresser, I somewhat understand where you are coming from. The “novice” hairdresser you speak of, was probably trying to build his clientele, and wanted to gain your business. He may have thought you could use some layers or movement. A good consultation will solve any unwanted or too many layer issues. Please in the future do not make the hairdresser the enemy, we are here to help and have your best interests at heart. You obviously have a very good relationship with your hairdresser, and he understands your lifestyle and what will and won’t work for your texture and lifestyle.
This is one hairdressers perspective.

Vicki Jarvis
Tuesday, August 6/2013 at 9:49 pm

I have very thin, fine, straight as a board, and oily hair. I have has curly perms, body waves several times over the years. I have been coloring my hair for at least 20 years. Tnhis does add some body to hols a curl. I have had layers and tried to keep my hair curly to add the body and fullness that I like. My problem is I don’t like the “casual” look on me and I am tired of spending, 30 minutes everyday curlyng my hair. I don’t really like the blunt cut either, it looks flat, lifeless and looks worse as the day goes on. I dont like using a lot of product either as it weighs my hair down. One more negative I live in South Central Florida where the Humidity is like 90-100% everyday.
Suggestions welcome pleease

Helen
Wednesday, August 7/2013 at 12:20 am

I just want to follow Reno’s response about her fine hair experience. I too have fine long hair. I am 62 years old and still like to wear my hair long.
I like to let my hair dry natural before I comb. This time of year is the best.
It takes me less than 30 minutes in August and my hair is below the shoulders. I also do hot oil treatments once a month because my hair gets
feels dry even though I use hair conditioners. I do swim lapse to keep my
figure. My hair regimen is a hot oil treatment once a month and haircut
every other month. A trim not so much layers. My hair is thinner. I wear
braids at home, A bun at work and down when I sleep. I use a comb made
of cow horn to keep static electricity at bay and a soft boar bristle brush.
I only brush as needed. I pray that I can keep my hair as long as I want in
this life. Wish me luck…….

Terri
Thursday, August 15/2013 at 11:58 pm

I used to always get layers in my hair (did it for years). Problem was, the layers seemed to be getting shorter and shorter. It started to feel thin and it was taking on this weird shape as the layers were not sitting right at all.

About a year ago, I went in for another layer touch up and, I have no idea how it even happened, ended up with the hair framing my face almost 2″ shorter on one side than the other. I had no idea as she asked if she could put my hair in a French Braid and I said yes. The next day when I got up and washed my hair, when it fell forward, one side was touching my shoulder and the other wasn’t, I literally said out loud WTF! I was really upset and immediately called the salon and expressed this.

To make a long story short… a year later and my layers are completely gone but I had to sacrifice over 4″ of length to get it. It is now all the same length and I keep it blunt cut all the way around and to just below my shoulders. I have fine straight hair, but lots of it and I have learned that layers are not my friend. I have a great hairdresser who helped me through the whole bad haircut and I am faithful to her. Even have to drive an hour away to go see her, but worth every penny. As a matter of fact, I have an appointment next month to see her for a good trim on my ends to lighten the load but I will never layer again and will always have it all one length and blunted on the ends.

Lesson learned!

Shelley
Sunday, September 8/2013 at 8:47 pm

Ladies I too have fine hair but alot of it and found myslef in the same situation. My hair was thinning. To add to the problem it was over bleached. I took Michelle’s advice and I booked an appointment with Bill Angst. THE best decision I could have ever made for my hair!

I was greeted at the door of the salon by Bill himself and his first words were…”you must be Shelley” I am so impressed with his personal touch and the transformation in hair. I have had a cut and clour and still have a way to go as I need to grow the layers and it takes time to repair colour damage but WOW Bill is a genuis! After only one trip to his I have new head of hair and it feels incredible! Thanks so much Bill! You ae my new BFF and you can never leave Toronto!

Shelley

Emily
Sunday, September 15/2013 at 10:20 pm

Wow. I think I disagree with every comment on this page! I have very fine, long hair and every time I am at a hairdresser they tell me how MUCH hair I have. You wouldn’t know it by looking because the strands are very small but I have a lot of them. Maybe that is why I disagree with everyone. I have to keep layers in my hair or I look like a hippie. The one length does NOT look good on me. I think that with my layers I have the ability to do a lot more with my hair and it has a lot more body than it would with all of my hair just weighted down. I like to get hairstyle inspiration from Victorias Secret because almost all of their models have long layered hair. I think it looks fabulous and would never pick straight and blunt over volume and layers! Just wanted to add my two cents.

Emily
Sunday, September 15/2013 at 10:22 pm

That awful horse razor cut used in the layers example picture is awful, though. I never allow them to cut my hair around my face like that! Eww!

Trisha
Monday, October 21/2013 at 5:09 pm

Okay, so the last photo is def not due to the cut, MUST have hair extensions to get that kind of look, right?? Her hair went from thin and stuck to the sides of her head to a lions mane of lush, sexy hair!

Alice
Tuesday, November 12/2013 at 8:39 pm

I have always had thin fine hair but was always told I had a lot of it. I never felt I did though. Recently I have taken my hair extensions out and I have lost so much hair. I don’t know if the Naomi watts hair cut will suit me because I have a round face. I need HELP please!?

I don’t know to use clip in extension until my hair grows thicker or to cut it. I don’t know if it would look still thin even though it was short.

Really need HELP please x

Meg
Sunday, March 16/2014 at 7:38 pm

I have very thick and curly hair, but texture wise it’s very fine, and every hairdresser would start off great and on the third appointment they’d go to town with a texturizing razor and I’d go home with a limp frizzled mess. And now…I mainly cut my own hair.

Kat
Thursday, May 1/2014 at 5:01 am

It’s ironic that most of the hairdressers I see tell me not to layer my hair. They all say it’s too fine, it won’t look good and I seriously want to scream at them sometimes. They make it sound like they know my hair perfectly but they have no clue. I have horrible hair most of the time but if it’s cut in a particular way, it seems to look good more often than not. It’s fine, yes, and has no volume really, also it’s frizzy and slightly wavy if it is all the same length. But even with this slight wave, hairdressers don’t believe me when I tell them that the second my hair has layers, the volume to it and waves increase so much to the point where i can wash it, put in some leave in conditioner and it’s ready to go. But still they try to tell me not to layer it and I have to explain that I’ve had it layered many many times before and it does the same thing every time. When it’s all one length, the bottom of my hair poofs out and creates this stupid little round halo thing around my head but at chin level (I usually get a bob cause it compliments my features well, I’ve been told). This requires so much work to fix and I am terrible at blow drying my hair. But anyway, that’s just my experience, being the exact opposite I guess to what most people are used to.

MH
Friday, June 27/2014 at 2:42 am

Is it possible for layers to look good in really long, thick hair? About mid-thigh. I really want layers but I don’t want to take off any length. It sounds rather ridiculous but I’m hoping there’s either a way to make it look good, or someone to convince me to stay away from hair-cutting shears and/or salons for a while.

Anna
Saturday, July 12/2014 at 12:08 am

I have very fine hair, but a decent amount of it. In my experience light, long layers look better than none. I grew my hair out once without layers and it looked oilly and limp all the time. I’m currently attempting to grow it out again with light layers and it looks 1000x better. It looks thicker than it has in years. I’m also currently taking biotin for my nails, but it has made me hair look and feel thicker. My hair has a light wave to it so that may be why it requires layers to look thicker. My layers are long with framing around the face and it looks great to me. I was scares to grow my hair out for a while, but it is currently about 5 inches below my shoulders. I’m not going to keep it extremely long, but I want it a little longer. This is just my hair though and they are really light layers, but they help my hair look better.

Gina
Friday, August 15/2014 at 3:50 am

Layers are dangerous on most people. A hairstylist cut so many layers and thinned out my hair that I ended up looking like an Asian Carol Brady. The only way to fix it was to go a lot shorter getting a chin length bob and now I’m growing it out. I will never ask for layers again. I love having volume in my hair. I think it looks prettier and more feminine.

Another lie that a lot of hairstylist tell people is that it is good to get regular trims often if you are trying to grow out your hair. NO!!! Don’t listen to that lie. If you want to grow your hair stay away from hair salons for as long as possible. I have gone as long 5 months without a haircut and it worked.