Wowza—I can barely keep up with all the celeb hair switcheroos lately!

Must be something to do with fall coming (sob!). Some of us become compelled to make big changes—like getting bangs (even if they’re clip-ins, Kim, we’ll forgive ya) or going red (in the case of Hilary Duff).

Of course, the celeb who set all of this in motion a few weeks ago was Emma Watson. And oh, look! Anne Hathaway has stolen a page out of her book. UPDATE: Confirmed: it’s just a wig, people. Clever commenter Nel was right! Now I feel REALLY foolish—was also duped by Kim’s faux bangs. Oopsie!

Anne Hathaway long hair and short hair Is something in the air? Anne Hathaway pulls an Emma Watson; Fergie and Nicole Richie go back to blonde

Apparently it’s for a movie (right—that’s what they ALL say until public opinion is clear; it’s like a fallback excuse if people hate it).

So what do YOU think of it?

I’m not loving it, I must confess. Whereas the short hair shows off Emma’s delicate, pixie-like features, on Anne it’s sort of frumpy—even though she’s a pretty, pretty girl. It’s okaaaay… but I really prefer her with long hair, Devil Wears Prada-style.

And in other hair news—it’s a case of déjà blonde for Fergie and Nicole Richie.

Here’s Fergs:

Fergie blonde hair brunette hair Is something in the air? Anne Hathaway pulls an Emma Watson; Fergie and Nicole Richie go back to blonde

SO MUCH better now that she’s a blonde again, right?

Brunette hair—especially a cool shade like this, which is likely darker than Fergie’s natural colour—is really very unforgiving. Blonde (done right) has the opposite effect: it creates this halo of softness and light around your face and makes you automatically look younger.

And here’s Nicole—who not only returned to blonde but also ditched at least five inches of hair to get The Haircut of the Moment. (See: January Jones, Alexa Chung, Chloë Sevigny et al.)

nicole richie august 2010 blonde hair Is something in the air? Anne Hathaway pulls an Emma Watson; Fergie and Nicole Richie go back to blonde

And this is how Nicole looked before:

nicole richie met ball 2010 Is something in the air? Anne Hathaway pulls an Emma Watson; Fergie and Nicole Richie go back to blonde

I’m on the fence with this one, being one of the few people who loved Nicole as a brunette. Then again, pulling off the brunette likely required copious amounts of makeup (which you can see here from this Met Ball pic), and that’s not really Nic’s thing as a low-key, Boho-type California girl. And really, pretty much everything she does to her hair looks good to me (just as long as she doesn’t return to those early-’00s Simple Life red and black extensions!).

So tell me what you think of these latest celeb hair changes…

How do you feel about Anne’s new cropped ‘do? Is it Frump City or Stylish and Chic?
What about Fergie’s and Nicole’s return to blonde?
Do these peeps inspire you at all to make some hair changes of your own this fall? (Or quite possibly my running commentary on their every beauty move is scaring you off, right? eeks!)

Photos: NYmag.com, People.com

nora
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 1:33 pm

if chloe sevigny has that haircut, i’m into it. and will probs copy it myself.

Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 10:09 pm

Ohhh yes shoulder length would look amazing on you!

Nicole
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 4:18 pm

I like that cut on Anne! It may not have the Hollywood glamour of her longer hair but I think she looks super cute with it. I personally love darker hair so I kind of wish Fergie and Nicole (though the shade before the super dark was by far the best on Nic!) had kept it but I suppose the blonde is nice on them both too.

Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 10:12 pm

You mean the “bronde”? Or the more chocolatey one when she first went brown? I liked both! It’s crazy how she can pull off all of these different looks… not many people can do that.

Monica
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 4:42 pm

Not loving Anne’s hair at all but the colour is nice!

Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 10:12 pm

Yes I’ve always loved Anne’s colour too! So striking against her peaches and cream skin.

nel
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 9:25 pm

I believe that anne hathaway’s hair is the work of a very very very good wig. She has her wig work down as is the case in her new movie with Jake Gyllenhaal. Wuuuuuuhrk!

Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 10:13 pm

Oh wow never considered that but hey – you may be right! For those of us who don’t like it, let’s hope so, anyway…

janis
Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 9:39 pm

I prefer Fergie and Nicole dark! Especially fergie. She looks way younger in darker shade as compared to blonde.

And yes, Anna looks nice! But I need to see a picture of her without sunglasses to judge better.

Tuesday, August 31/2010 at 10:18 pm

You know, maybe it’s not the colour on Fergie I don’t like but how she styled it – I think that dead-straight centre-part style is just soooo harsh.

Gimped
Friday, September 3/2010 at 10:21 am

I’m actually really glad that Anne’s look was a wig … cuz I’m not a fan of it. I totally agree with you, Michelle. I, too, love her look from her “Devil Wears Prada” days — MAN she can rock a bang!

Fergie … I’m on the fence about. I like her brunette colour but not the style. It’s def too harsh for her. Maybe combine the wavy locks with the brunette colour.

Nicole … I think I like her as a brunette. She, too, is another who can rock a bang — I LOVE the photo you posted of her as a brunette!! I think that’s the best I’ve ever seen her. Mind you it’s hard to tell in the blonde pic whether she’s rockin’ that look or not. I guess we’ll see over the next few weeks …

Friday, September 3/2010 at 10:38 am

Hey – great minds think alike… we agree on all these looks! :-)