It’s September! 10 changes to move your beauty routine into fall

Gianfranco Ferre fall 2010 beauty

For me, September 1st is probably the most depressing day of the year.

I looooove summer, you see. Can’t get enough of it. Want to marry it. (And yes, it makes no sense that I live in Canada.) And today, it’s sort of the beginning of the end. In my mind, the only good things about what’s to come (i.e. the days getting shorter and cooler) are:
a) new fall boots and
b) the chance to fool around with some new beauty stuff.

YES, beauty—because what works in 30-degree weather simply won’t fly the rest of the year. So while you’re contemplating what pieces to add to your wardrobe for fall (and I know that you are), don’t forget about making these little changes to your beauty routine:

1. Think: Snooki bad, Christina Hendricks good.

snooki Its September! 10 changes to move your beauty routine into fallOkay, you probably thought that already. But what I mean here is that you probably should think about ditching the self-tanners and bronzers.

Why, just this morning I read a report about how most UK women want to look like Miss Christina (not Kate Moss). And that has to tell you something.

There’s just something odd about overly tan skin when you’re wearing a parka. So if the tanned look is your crutch (and I know for a lot of ladies out there it is), think about maybe just easing up a bit and seeing what you look like with a paler complexion.

2. And on that note, swap your foundations, concealers and powders for lighter shades.

What? You only have one shade of each? Unless you’re a stickler with the SPF year-round, it’s probably a good idea to have one darker and one lighter of each so that you can get a perfect match when your tan wears off. (Because nobody wants to see too-pale globs of concealer or that tell-tale line at your jaw.) Personally, I can get away with ivory shades in the fall and winter, but in the summer I use “warm” ivory.

3. Get a haircut. (And a real job.)

Just kidding about that last part. No, what you need is just a smidgen of a trim to get rid of the old, dry ends that probably took a beating from sun, chlorine, salt-water or heat-styling.

Plus, doesn’t it always feel amazing to have a new look for fall? DO IT.

4. Treat your hair to a luxurious, hydrating masque. It will love you 4EVAH!

kerastase chronologiste 300x199 Its September! 10 changes to move your beauty routine into fallSeriously, it will. For the same reasons as above (it will put back moisture into summer-abused locks), getting into the routine of a weekly hair masque is a great idea.

Ones I like: Ojon’s new 2-Minute Volumizing Mask (it hydrates AND volumizes), Kérastase’s Chronologiste treatment and Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer.

5. If you colour your hair, consider lowlights.

Now don’t be alarmed! For your blonderexics out there (I’m a recovering member), I’m not suggesting you have to suddenly become a brunette when the weather turns cool.

But the sun can bleach out your hair a bit, making the roots look that much darker when they grow in. (This happened to me when I lived in Australia and returned here—suddenly I was like, what? My roots are dark brown? When I lived there the sun bleached them to a light ash colour.)

What a few strategically placed lowlights will do is break up the solid-looking colour, blend in with your roots better and overall make your hair look more natural and pretty. For serious. (Also make sure, if you highlight, that you go to someone who highlights the same strands each time—otherwise, over time, you’ll end up with solid colour, which is très horrible.)

6. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT ditch the sunscreen. Instead, layer on a more hydrating moisturizer.

Okay, you won’t need that richer moisturizer quite yet—but in a month’s time, yes. (And like a Girl Scout, it’s always good to be prepared for that first cold weather spell.)

I’m a huge fan of Avène’s line, which is also great for sensitive skin: the Hydrance Optimale with SPF 25 would be a great fall pick.

7. Deal with those pigmentation issues, yo!

lumixyl topical brightening creme Its September! 10 changes to move your beauty routine into fallIf I may reference Christina Hendricks once more (sorry)—if there’s one thing she’s done (besides picking up where Jennifer Lopez left off regarding curviness), it’s been to make us all supremely jealous of her flawless complexion.

And so, post-summer is the perfect time to get to work on any pigmentation issues you may have. Two top products I’ve been using (and seeing results from!) are: Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Corrector and Lumixyl Topical Brightening Creme. (I promise to do a more detailed post on these soon!)

8. Do a darker lip. (Of course.)

After a brief hiatus, I’m returning to my stance about lipsticks being WAY cooler than glosses. (Although if you must gloss, Smashbox’s new O Gloss Noir—a purple colour on me—is quite lovely.)

Colour-wise, I’d go for a red or berry shade. At the high end, check out Tom Ford’s new range; Revlon’s new Gucci Westman-designed lipsticks are a more affordable (and still excellent) option.

9. Annnnd you probably should go darker with your nail colour, too.

Chanel Paradoxal 200x300 Its September! 10 changes to move your beauty routine into fallI can’t wait to rock out my Chanel Paradoxal (a metallic purple/grey/taupe hybrid) or the glittering navies in the Nicole by OPI Gossip Girl collection. The greys, taupes and khakis are probably the most on-trend shades this season, but honestly? Anything goes these days.

10. Switch to a sexier, heavier scent.

If you’re a scent girl, you can now bust out those heavier, muskier fragrances you stashed away for the summer.

So… do you heart fall or hate it as much as I do? (Okay, maybe not hate. But I wish it would go away after, say, two months.)
What will you do to switch up your beauty routine for the cooler weather?
And on that note—have you made any fall beauty purchases already? Or just fashion ones? I bought two sweaters yesterday. Sale at Anthropologie, yo!

Kat
Wednesday, September 1/2010 at 6:45 pm

OMG, I Love fall! It’s my favorite time of year!

And I<m so preparing for it… tomorrow I'm goig for a sexy new haircut and I've already got some fall makeup. All I need is for the cooler weather to kick in and I'm golden! ;)

Thursday, September 2/2010 at 10:18 am

Yay! That sounds awesome!

stacee
Wednesday, September 1/2010 at 10:49 pm

I would have reiterated your blog word-for-word if I could. It’s spot on regarding my feeling for ushering in September (boots & beauty) and wanting summer to last forever. thanks!

Thursday, September 2/2010 at 10:19 am

Haha great minds think alike! :-)

Gimped
Thursday, September 2/2010 at 10:12 am

Fall is my FAVE season!! I can’t wait to put away all the tanks and capris and start wearing cozy sweaters and great jeans again. I’m a size 16 with a bit more padding so I actually dread the summer when I have to throw away my layers and wear “skimpier” things to stay cool. Yay for fall!!!!

I’ll be investing in a new purse … even tho my closet is overflowing with bags. I should shop my own closet, but purses are a weakness :) Any idea what the trends are this fall?

I’ll also be switching my perfume from Ferragamo’s Incanto Shine (quite floral with a bit of an edge) to Chanel’s Chance. Chance is WAY too musky for the summer, which sux cuz it’s probably my fave scent. When is the best time to do the switch, Michelle? Do I wait for the first official day of fall, or just wait ’til it starts to get cooler?

Throw in a few new outfits and maybe a new eyeshadow and I’m set.

Thursday, September 2/2010 at 10:21 am

Oh gosh I’m not the best person to ask about fashion stuff!
But as for fragrances – no official date to switch – I would just wait until the weather cools down a bit… it’s just that heavier scents can be a bit cloying when it’s too warm outside. Although I should say for night they’re pretty much fine year-round!

Gimped
Thursday, September 2/2010 at 10:17 am

Since we’re entering fall and the fabulous boot season, here’s a quick question for anyone with larger calves …

Where the heck do I find a great pair of tall boots?!?

I have searched for YEARS without any luck. A size 16 would look just as cute as a size 6 in a skirt paired with tights and tall boots.

I don’t mind paying a few extra bucks for them, but of course the cheaper the better. HELP!!!

Janine
Saturday, September 4/2010 at 11:16 am

Hi Gimped! Have you tried WideWidths.com? http://www.widewidths.com/

Janine
Saturday, September 4/2010 at 11:37 am

Found a couple more recommendations:

I’m not entirely certain I have the right Miller Shoes — Ginger, the person who recommended these two retailers said Miller ships nationally and has a store in Hamilton, ON; this site seems right. Or you might like to contact Ginger directly at http://www.gingerwontsnap.com/. She may have more recommendations :-)

Monday, September 6/2010 at 10:05 am

Thanks J!

Gimped
Tuesday, September 7/2010 at 10:05 am

Thank you SOOO much!!! I’m gonna check these out for sure!

Savanna
Thursday, September 2/2010 at 4:14 pm

I have lived in Florida all my life (I’m seventeen) and the heat is exhausting, so I loathe summer. But since our late seasons usually resemble some phase of summer, I always look forward to Fall. To me, the season is just sexy. Everything about it. It’s got this sugary, spicy, but musky air, and everything starts getting dark and shimmery. I aways feel limited during the summer when it comes to my wardrobe and makeup. It gets so hot that it’s practically impossible to get past five minutes without having your makeup begin to sweat off (ack!!). And I find it difficult to dress creatively for the same reason. It makes expression kinda bland. So I’m so excited to start wearing classy, detailed pieces, tights, boots, and layering clothes. And deepening my makeup looks (don’t get me wrong… I love a fresh, natural face, but it’s nice to switch it up once in awhile).

Not to mention, my personality hits a fall/winter note, something reminiscent of Edgar Allen Poe, but with a twist of shoe-hugging, technology-obsessed, luxury-loving teenager.

PS. Sorry I write so much.
PPS. I need to move up north.
PPPS. I love your articles. I’ve kinda been reading them all day :)

Thursday, September 2/2010 at 6:19 pm

Okay, you’re even convincing ME to like fall – wow! Although I guess when you live in Florida you get more than enough hot weather to crave a change… here in Canada it passes by in the blink of an eye and then we’re back to wearing parkas again. (And all these annoying things like slipping on ice whenever you wear high heels, or getting salt stains all over your tights/pants/boots. So even “creative expression” in your wardrobe can be kinda limited. Sigh.)

Anyway – thanks so much for reading, you made my day! :-)

Savanna
Thursday, September 2/2010 at 9:19 pm

I never thought about the whole inconvenience of heels versus snow. (It sounds like a bad comic book). Ugh.. parkas. In that case, I definitely see where you’re coming from.

Arianne
Friday, September 3/2010 at 12:31 am

Oh man Michelle I’m convinced that you are a psychic. How did you know I was looking for a hair mask? ;)

Friday, September 3/2010 at 10:52 am

Cool! Although you should know the Chronologiste is spendy. Are you sitting down? It’s $150.
So maybe go for the Ojon – they have a hydrating version too, if your hair is less flat than mine (I need the volume help).

Gimped
Friday, September 3/2010 at 2:06 pm

Any idea if the Ojon Volumizing 2 Min Mask is coming to Sephora in Toronto? I just checked the Sephora website and I can’t find it …

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 4:20 pm

Just found the press release – it actually says it’s only sold at Murale, The Shopping Channel and Ojon.com.

Arianne
Friday, September 3/2010 at 8:36 pm

I’ll probably go with the Ojon. :) I just couldn’t justify $150 right now.

Wednesday, September 8/2010 at 4:21 pm

I know – that’s like a new pair of shoes right there! And as much as I love beauty, right now I think I’d prefer the shoes… :-)