New York S/S ’11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

New York S/S '11 bright lipstick

Smoky eyes, you just got SERVED.

Yep, even though I’ve been talking about a revival for a while now, I think it’s finally official: lipstick—specifically bright lipstick—has replaced the defined eye as the centre of attention on the face. (Sorry, eyeshadow—you held court for FAR too long.)

One reason I say this is because lately, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many beauty editors ditch the go-to smoky eyes/glossy lips combo for bold lipsticks. Which is quite something, because just like that cliché about all fashion editors wearing black, most beauty editors do NOT experiment much with makeup. (And I have proof! At an event last week, a whopping 67 percent of us wore bright lipstick. I’ll be posting photos soon to show you.)

Of course, the other biggie is what’s happening on the runways (duh!).

And I don’t know if I’ve ever seen quite so many examples of bold lips in all colours—red, orange, pink, neon—this early on during fashion week.

It’s all so very thrilling! Because I was getting bored of eyeshadow—weren’t you?

At Tommy Hilfiger, the lips were bold, but still very wearable:

TOMMY HILFIGER SPRING RTW 2011 BEAUTY 008 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

This is starter bright lipstick—the colour is a bit muted and the finish is a bit matte. I’ve been meaning to post about some rather excellent matte lipsticks I just discovered by Shiseido; they could definitely give you this effect. OR you could get the look by applying a regular, slightly pinky-red shade, blotting your lips with a tissue and then topping with a non-shiny balm.

At Z-Spoke by Zac Posen, the lips were shiny, ’80s pink:

Z SPOKE BY ZAC POSEN SPRING RTW 2011 BEAUTY 007 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

Yes, they’re glossy, but unlike the pale glosses we’ve been seeing for oh, a decade now, this is a highly-pigmented gloss. And weirdly (because I’ve never been one for this shade of pink), I’m kind of digging it. Apparently the colour was custom-made for the show; I have a Chanel lipstick called Paris Pink which is a close match, but you’d need to apply gloss over top.

We saw at Vena Cava yesterday that it was all about orange. Here, sans headwrap, are the orange lips paired with a darker eye:

VENA CAVA SPRING 2011 RTW BEAUTY 009 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

So no, all those years you spent honing your smoky eye skillz did NOT go to waste. For evening, they’re going to look great paired with a bright lip. (I strongly suggest the orange shown here, because red with a smoky eye kind of veers off into vampy territory…)

And I have the PERFECT shade to recommend as well! It’s from the new Revlon Colorburst line and it’s called Coral. Try it!

Now, the Warhol-inspired neon pink lips at Diane von Furstenberg won’t be for everyone:

DIANE VON FURSTENBERG SPRING RTW 2011 BEAUTY 005 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

But I seriously heart them. We’ve been seeing a version of this look on the runways for a few seasons now (at Bottega Veneta and Giambattista Valli, for example). The thing to remember with shocking lip colours is that you need to pair them with a bare, fresh face. It also helps if you are a 16-year-old Eastern European model.

Lacoste did a similar look, but with neon orange instead of pink:

LACOSTE SPRING 2011 RTW BEAUTY 015 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

Same principle here, notice? You really can’t detect much other makeup except great skin and maybe a hint of mascara and blush.

The last look is a Gothic black lip from Y-3—told you there were all kinds of colours! This is pretty unusual for spring:

Y 3 SPRING RTW 2011 BEAUTY 003 runway New York S/S 11: Go forth and purchase a bright lipstick (any colour will do)

And it’s also very, very hard to wear for non-model types. To get a sort of similar but MUCH more flattering look, I’d go with a deep wine colour like the Joe Fresh lip crayon in Wine (see it on me in this vid).

So, tell me:

Have you hopped on board the lipstick train yet?
Which of these shades is your favourite?
Not the black. PLEASE not the black.

Lindsay
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:01 pm

Yes! I HAVE hopped on board the lipstick train. Love the 80s pink, I have a more modern version of it – a combination of a MAC lipstick and a Dior glos on top – and I just bought a great red from MAC (ladybug). I went from very blond to very brunette a few weeks ago and I kind of felt like that required me to wear red lipstick more often.

Lindsay (again)
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:06 pm

Oopsie. Totally messed up that link. Here’s the makeover:

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:10 pm

LOVE IT! The darker hair really suits you and so does the lipstick! Good call.

Anita Matte
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:01 pm

I love all of them, except the black at Y-3! DVF and Lacoste are very gorgeous shades!

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:11 pm

Agree—so gorgeous with the bare skin!

katherine
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:26 pm

Love your 67% number. Can’t wait to see how you mastered that. YEEES to bright lips. So over gloss & smoky eyes. Yawn.

I love DVF and started looking for my own version yesterday. Joe Fresh Fuchsia is pretty good.

Black is cool (Revlon’s Grape is pretty close and I actually wore today) but I’m kinda like, it’s sooo Fall 2008.

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:14 pm

Yeah, I can’t remember exactly how I calculated that now… but it was based on Friday night. I’m posting all your mugs tomorrow! I think SD and AE were the only non-lipstick wearers.

Agree about black – too YSL fall ’08.

Laura
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:41 pm

Can’t wait to see the editor photos! Was this after everyone got dolled up at the SHershberger/Murale suite on Friday?!?!

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:15 pm

Yes! Everyone looked amazing so I begged them to let me take their photos for blog content! It’s not everyday you have James and Mike at your disposal…

Anupa
Tuesday, September 14/2010 at 3:42 pm

I have taken to lipstick a lot lately as well. Can you do a post about wearing matte lipsticks/colours? Especially loving those photos from DVF and Lacoste; any suggestions on similar shades?

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:17 pm

Great question! It’s hard to find a good matte – as I said in the post, the line I’m loving is Shiseido. Their mattes are perf.
Have heard mixed reviews of the new NARS mattes.
But I’ll do some more research on this. I think NARS is probably your best bet for shocking colours like the DVF and Lacoste…

Veronica
Friday, January 7/2011 at 11:29 am

I’ve also been hunting around for the same shade DVF’s show was using. I just found out that they actually used Mac Pro Chromagraphic Pencil in Process Magenta that came out last summer. Running to Mac Pro to see if they still carry it.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 7:03 pm

Hey – awesome! Thanks for letting us know!!

Kamila
Wednesday, September 15/2010 at 3:37 pm

I’ve loved bright lipstick ever since I discovered my mom’s make-up stash when I was about 3!. Bright lipstick works very well to accentuate eye colour – I stick to dark pinks and berries as my “everyday” colours and they bring out my blue eyes like nothing else!

Thursday, September 16/2010 at 7:18 pm

So true—I find my eyes look bluer when I wear red lipsticks or stains. When I have a more natural look they get lost somehow!