Video: Celebrity stylist Kevin Murphy tells us what kind of hair we need NOW

Chanel fall 2010 hair

Time for a bit of a breather from all the makeup talk lately! Let’s shift the focus to hair, because that’s changing, too—at least according to celebrity hairstylist Kevin Murphy. And he knows stuff.

Remember Kevin? Last time he was in town, I raved about many of his awesome hair products, including the best beach hair product EVAH and hair curlers that will make you wonder why you ever bothered with the snaggy velcro kind.

This time, he was here to introduce a few more new prodz to the Canadian market—does the man ever sleep? I’ll get to those in a second, but first! A video.

LOTS and LOTS of valuable info here, ladies. This is me picking Kevin’s brain on:

• The kind of shape and texture your hair should have now
  • What kind of cut to ask for
  • Why the Olsen twins need a new hairdresser
  • The beauty tools and products to invest in (hint: I’ve now become obsessed with finding a mini-crimping iron)
  • The easiest Day-to-Night hair trick

Here’s the video:

And here are the new products out this month…

Powder Puff ($26), which is a powder that morphs into an invisible paste (kinda similar to the Schwarzkopf powder I’ve been raving about) and gives hair lots of volume:

Kevin Murphy Powder Puff Video: Celebrity stylist Kevin Murphy tells us what kind of hair we need NOWLuxury Wash ($25) is a super-rich shampoo for thick, coarse hair:

kevin murphy luxury wash shampoo 250ml Video: Celebrity stylist Kevin Murphy tells us what kind of hair we need NOW

And Luxury Rinse ($25) is its matching conditioner:

kevin murphy luxury rinse conditioner 250ml Video: Celebrity stylist Kevin Murphy tells us what kind of hair we need NOW

You might want to tell your guy about Night Rider ($22), which is a matte paste for wet or dry hair:

Kevin Murphy Night Rider Video: Celebrity stylist Kevin Murphy tells us what kind of hair we need NOWAnd finally, there is the Jet Pak ($43), which is a set of travel-size versions of the Hydrate-Me shampoo and conditioner, Anti-Gravity volumizer, Session Spray finishing spray and Fresh Hair dry shampoo. **out in October

So tell me…

Are you feelin’ these new hair trends?
Ever tried any Kevin Murphy products?
Do you feel as triumphant as I do that Kevin ALSO dissed layers? Hooray!

Lesa
Wednesday, September 29/2010 at 5:46 pm

“He’s not my son!”. That was awesome. Love that matte is the new shine. And Powder Puff sounds wicked! Your video was so fancy!

Wednesday, September 29/2010 at 6:59 pm

Yes—the fact that matte is now trendy makes me feel much better about having dull, colour-treated hair!

As for the vid… slowly teaching myself iMovie but WOW, I won’t tell you how many hours I spent editing this one and figuring out how to slice in photos, music, etc. No wonder I get nothing done!

Anupa
Wednesday, September 29/2010 at 10:45 pm

Kevin Murphy is, like, my favourite guy ever. This video (which is great, btw!) totally justifies why I’ve been feeling so BLAH over my long, messy (read: OLSEN-Y–I love how he didn’t remember their names), unbrushed hair and craving a structured, shapely long bob. If Kevin says to do it, I must.

Also, LOVE his hair. It’s a nice hairstylist-y change from his usual no-fuss ‘do.

Thursday, September 30/2010 at 9:51 am

I know, I loved his quiff! He practices what he preaches!

Loving the thought of a blunt, angular lob on you. DO IT! :-)

Jenn
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 10:59 am

What if I want to look like “a mad woman’s knitting”? OMG – awesome.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:22 am

I know, right? Love him!

Monica
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 1:14 pm

Great vid!! Can’t believe you were there too at the event & I didn’t recognize your:( Anyhow, loving the Luxury wash & rinse, my BF love the Night Rider (the name too)…And Kevin is really nice & down-to-earth love his cheeky sense of humour.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:23 am

You were there? OMG! So many people, I didn’t even realize! Next time :-(

andre lane
Saturday, October 2/2010 at 9:37 pm

You all got it spot on. I have worked with K.M. a few times now over the last few years and let me tell you ( as a hair dresser), hes all that and more. There is something around every bend.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:41 pm

Wow you worked with him? Cool! I think he’s a genius – such a forward thinker, so modern but really understands what women want to look like at the same time.