Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

model close up face foundation

It’s been a while since we’ve done a reader question—fashion week and TIFF have been hogging all the attention lately! But in the past week, not one but two readers asked about liquid foundations… and when that happens, clearly something is in the air and I’m compelled to address it.

And, well, it’s no surprise that peeps are thinking about liquid foundations, now that the weather’s cooling down. Fall is all about berry lips, maybe an expertly darkened eye, strong brows… would YOU want to rock such a polished look with a blotchy, uneven complexion? Nein.

Now I should say, before we get into all of this, that not everyone NEEDS to wear foundation. If your skin is in good shape—I’ll add my cod liver oil plug here—you can probably get away with just concealer to even out any dark/red areas and then primer to stop shine. That’s all the Murale makeup artist used on me when she did my face for this event.

That said, there are other schools of thought, including the David Goveia philosophy, which is that most of us can use a bit of foundation (or tinted moisturizer) all over the face just to warm it up. He’s all for erring on the side of darker, not lighter, in your colour selection, which is pretty good advice for us pasty types living in Canada. Plus, have you ever seen photos of people rocking The Eagle?

bald eagle Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

Please do not do this. The Eagle happens when your face is white, from a too-light, too-chalky foundation, and your neck/chest is tanned. Emily Blunt was a recent offender:

Emily Blunt arrives at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

So if you DO wear foundation—of any type—just be very, very careful about your colour choice, and make sure you address what’s happening on your neck so that there aren’t any unfortunate colour clashes. Blotchy, uneven, foundation-less skin is still better than obvious face paint.

Now that that’s off my chest (sorry!), let’s get to the questions. First up is Dee, who writes:

I really really love your blog. It has helped me in a lot of ways. [Ed. note: Awww... thanks Dee!] Anyway, i just read your post about “minimal makeup” and i was wondering if you can recommend a good liquid foundation? I’ve been trying to achieve the “no makeup look” for a while now but haven’t quite achieved it yet. I’m planning to try Face Atelier liquid foundation or Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Enhancer. Do you think these are good foundations? Or maybe you can suggest better ones? I prefer medium coverage and I have combination skin. Oh, btw, do you think spraying facial mist after translucent powder will help give me that dewy, fresh look? Sorry to ask a lot of questions but I know you can help me. Thanks!

First of all, YES! Applying a facial mist after your powder will definitely make your skin look more dewy and give it a natural skin—as opposed to powdery—finish. You can also get a dewier look in general by going with cream or liquid products instead of powders. And don’t forget illuminators—applying just a touch along the cheekbones to highlight can give you a nice glow. I’m going to be posting soon about Carmindy’s new line, which includes some very cool cream highlighters.

Now, on to foundations! While I have not tried it myself, I think the FACE atelier Ultra Foundation would be an excellent choice.

face Atelier Ultra Foundation 226x300 Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

Why? Because makeup artists love it—including the very talented Miss Andrea Claire, who you’ll remember from this Q&A. And when I did a Twitter shout-out today asking for product recos for you, this was the most popular choice! (Glitter Geek and Faces by Farah both recommend.) I suppose I’ll need to get around to trying it one of these days, as it sounds QUITE impressive: built-in primer, oil-free, hydrating, non-creasing/flaking…

Unfortunately I haven’t tried the Kevyn Aucoin foundation either (bad beauty blogger!) but here are a few more options you might want to consider:

I’ve gotta say that Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup Oil Free SPF 15 is my current favourite for those times when I really want to do it up with my makeup and get a polished, flawless look:

hourglass veil fluid in sand Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

It is medium coverage, oil-free and works best in tandem with the Hourglass primer–put the two together and your makeup lasts forevah! With no shine. I also love that it doesn’t contain parabens, synthetic fragrances or phthalates. There’s also an anti-aging ingredient (Matrixyl) to help fight wrinkles!

No post on foundations would be complete without mentioning Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation:

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?I’m having quite a Giorgio Armani love-fest lately, aren’t I? But every beauty editor you will ever meet will attest to this fact: If the GA foundation happens to be on set (when you’re shooting models, etc. for a magazine), it WILL walk away. Makeup artists, models, beauty editors—they all love it. The coverage level is sheer-to-medium and what’s amazing about it is the weightless texture (the whole “melts into your skin” thing that I’ve been talking about with the blush).

If you care about products being natural, Living Nature Foundation would be a great choice:

Living Nature Foundation Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

I ordered this online a few years ago; I was mainly swayed by the fact that it won the 2008 Natural Beauty Awards and got excellent reviews online. It’s medium-coverage, has excellent colours, isn’t greasy and contains all-natural ingredients including antibacterial manuka honey. I love how it melts into your skin and you can’t even feel it. More info here.

Some of you will also remember my ode to the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Foundation:

physicians formula organic wear  1242328042 LRG Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

It’s definitely more on the light-to-medium coverage end of the spectrum, and it was brought to my attention that the colours are also lighter than one would think. (I’m very fair and my shade is called Creamy Beige, which is somewhere in the middle of their spectrum—with most brands, I’m closer to the lightest shades.) What I like about it is the price (just $21.99), the natural ingredients and how quickly it dries down (some might find this happens TOO quickly, but it honestly feels like you’re not wearing anything at all).

And last but not least, another Twitter friend recommended Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation:

laura mercier oil free foundation Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

Again, haven’t tried this one, but I have tried the excellent LM tinted moisturizer, so I’m guessing this is equally great. Laura is known for making great skin makeup products, so this is probably a winner! (Quite literally: it’s won awards from InStyle and Allure.) Note that it’s highly pigmented, but you can build-up coverage without it going cakey.

Now here’s the second foundation question, from Melissa:

My mom, who is in her 60s, is looking for a good liquid foundation. I gave her a few I think would work well, but was wondering if you had any suggestions? Looking for something in the mid-level price range. Let me know!

Because I’m a VERY good daughter and supply my mom with every anti-aging product under the sun, I asked her what she uses—I figured she would know!

And her hands-down favourite of ALL TIME (which is saying something) is Lancôme Absolue Teint:

Lancome Absolue Teint Reader question: Can you recommend a good liquid foundation?

My mom says: “It’s got good coverage, the colour suits my skin, and it’s easy to apply. It’s also not overly greasy. I set with a tiny bit of powder.”

Her runner-up foundations are from YSL, Sisley and La Mer—I think I’ve created a monster with expensive tastes now! But a couple more mid-priced options your mom might want to try are: Clinique Repairwear and Estée Lauder Resilience Lift Extreme. My mom says those are good too.

So now, over to you guys…

What’s YOUR fave liquid foundation?
Have you ever tried any of the ones recommended above?
Is there someone in your life who rocks The Eagle? Maybe you should forward them this post…

skybluesky
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 1:56 pm

I’m quite fond of Shu Uemura’s Face Architect liquid foundation…buildable, usually medium coverage, and it looks really natural! It is really good for pictures. I haven’t used liquid foundation in a year, though…just too much effort and last year I experimented with mineral makeup, tinted moisturizers, and an overhaul of my skincare regimen.

I really want to try the Giorgio Armani foundation foundation as well as the cream blush (!)…I’ve have to track down a location soon.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:02 am

I JUST got sent a sample of the Shu foundation so will have to try!

I wanna hear about how you overhauled your skincare regimen – do you find you need less makeup now?

skybluesky
Friday, October 1/2010 at 1:27 pm

I was taking Yaz (lowest dosage of estrogen in a pill, at least on the US market), but I went off it in the past year. So I decided that I needed to attack my problem skin seriously. Yaz did work and take care of my acne, but I didn’t want to be on the pill, as it did cause certain problems for me.

I’m currently on tretinoin, and I use Skinceuticals B5 gel, Olay sensitive skin SPF 15 (their original classic formula with the physical sunblock), Obagi’s 20% Vitamin C serum (can’t remember the exact name, I use it a few times a month because I usually use tretinoin), and I use a gentle foaming cleanser and a GREAT lotion at night with licorice extract that is very calming. I get my cleanser and lotion from acne.org, I love their forums and reviews of acne products. I LOVE the clarisonic brush. I think that’s it, I usually don’t use all of these products at once, but I switch it up.

I have to try the cod liver oil pills you love, because your skin is FANTASTIC. I’m weird because I don’t like swallowing pills, but my dad (who’s a food scientist, and will probably agree with you about the cod liver oil) once got me a bottle of these vitamin A and D supplements that were small and easy to take, and my skin glowed! I keep on forgetting to ask him what that brand was.

I love products, but I really agree that the best skincare is eating and living well. I try not to stress out about stuff (easier said than done), because stress definitely ages skin. Recently I’ve started phasing out red meat and eating more veggies and fruits…it has made a big difference.

A lot of people say stuff like chocolate and spicy food is bad for your skin, but whatever, I don’t find it makes a big difference for me.

To sum up my ramble…yeah, I definitely use less makeup now, and it’s more fun to experiment with different looks, especially perfecting my “no-makeup” makeup look. I worship your blog and I’m afraid I kind of come across as stalker-y. *shifty eyes*

Monday, October 4/2010 at 4:57 pm

OMG! You MUST try the cod liver oil. If you hate swallowing pills, you could do the liquid instead of the capsules. Although I haven’t tried them, Green Pasture’s makes flavoured oils, so you wouldn’t get the fishy taste. I take the pills because they also contain high-vitamin butter oil, which is supposed to make the cod liver oil even more effective… but I think either will be great for your skin (and body).

Anyway, so glad to hear your new routine is working for you. I totally hear you about not wanting to be on the pill! I guess the reason I push cod liver oil so much is because I don’t even really need to HAVE a skincare regimen anymore… which is kind of crazy! My skin is so much more resilient and aside from a couple of PMS flare-ups here or there, I no longer need to be obsessively worrying about exfoliating and/or applying anti-inflammatory products.

As for diet—definitely agree on the fruits & veg! Just not convinced that red meat (or any meat) is bad. I know some ex-vegans whose skin used to look AWFUL, so I think we need the protein and vitamins. I think it’s sugar and hydrogenated oils that are the major bad guys.

PS – Not stalkery at all! My fave part of blogging is these discussions! :-)

Skybluesky
Monday, October 4/2010 at 8:02 pm

Totally agree on the protein thing…our bodies definitely make use of protein and nutrients from meat so much more efficiently than other forms of proteins.

I could never completely quit red meat! I’m just limiting it to a few times a month instead of several times a week…my family doesn’t really eat red meat, but I love a good steak or a good hamburger…or beef stew. Now I’m making myself hungry! My dad is super healthy and just makes me worry about eating red meat…but if anything, I know that eating red meat has kept my iron levels up–never been anemic before in my life and I have excellent blood pressure. My mom, however, is also super healthy and doesn’t eat red meat–she has low blood pressure and gets anemic.

The cod liver pills are soft gel capsules, right? If they’re soft then I can handle it…I just am such a baby about dense, chalky horse pills! I’m probably going to make an order next week! I’m really excited and will update you on my progress!

Kamila
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for a post! I recommend Marcelle’s True Radiance foundation – it’s silicone-free, has SPF 15 and gives a glowing, light finish. On my very oily skin, I need to set it with powder and blot later in the day, but for less oily types that wouldn’t be a problem. It’s also one of the few foundations that doesn’t break me out :)

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:03 am

Thanks Kamila – good to have a drugstore reco here! Maybe this would be another good option for Melissa’s mom too…

Kamila
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 2:01 pm

edit: I meant to say thanks for a *great* post up there :)

Farah
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 3:50 pm

Great post! Thanks for the shout out… FA foundations seem to work on all my clients which goes to show how versatile they really are. They are ultra light weight and so you dont feel like you have a thick layer of foundation on which lets face no one really wants!

I am interested in trying the Armani one for myself though as ive also heard great things.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:05 am

My pleasure! Of all the makeup artists I’ve met, FA seems to be a close #2 to the Armani… would love to hear your thoughts if you try it!

shelby
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 4:45 pm

I absolutely LOVE MUFE (make up for ever) face and body liquid makeup, it is literally as fluid as water, it feels soo good on my skin, not heavy at all, has excellent buildability and gives an awesome dewy finish, I could go on and on and on and on about this product, I recommend it as highly as I would recommend a clarisonic (another highly loved item). Try it and fall in love!

Skybluesky
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 7:07 pm

Hells yes, Clarisonic is awesome! I have the pro…it lives up to the hype, so worth the money!

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:05 am

I concur! Love my Clarisonic!

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:06 am

You know, I really need to try more MUFE stuff. Thanks for the reco!

Naomi
Thursday, September 30/2010 at 7:15 pm

I love the Faceatelier foundations. They really hold up well in the heat and humidity; and is my go-to foundation for brides as well as for those with mature skin. I also really like the new MAC Pro Longwear foundation as well as MUFE Mat Velvet +; which is more of a full coverage foundation but it sheers out easily with a damp sponge.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:07 am

All great picks! Thanks Naomi!

Anya
Friday, October 1/2010 at 9:40 am

I love NARS Sheer Matte Foundation. It goes on smooth and it’s super light and breezy. I have combo skin and oily patches stay matte and dry patches are nicely moisturized.

Friday, October 1/2010 at 11:08 am

Wow—that is impressive! I’ve only ever tried NARS colour products… didn’t think they particularly excelled at foundations… but glad to hear this!

Dee
Friday, October 1/2010 at 1:17 pm

Thanks to everyone. :))

I’ll try as many of what you have recommended as I can.

Hopefully, I can share my reviews with all of you soon. And maybe, it will help you guys in picking the right one.

Michelle, your reply meant a lot.

I’ll continue to support your blog! Keep it comin’. You’re a savior to many, just like what you are to me.

More Power!

Monday, October 4/2010 at 4:58 pm

Awww thanks Dee! I really hope this helps and please come back and let us know what you tried! :-)

AOYV
Friday, October 1/2010 at 3:37 pm

Hey I have to say I didn’t like Laura Mercier oil free foundation at all. Its so heavy and feels like a cake on the skin. Definitely not good for everyday, at least for me. I think DiorSkin Nude is a better option for everyday, as is Chanel Vitalumiere. Have you tried those?

Monday, October 4/2010 at 5:00 pm

I haven’t tried LM foundation or Dior… but I do have Chanel Vitalumiere—in the compact version though, not the liquid. If I recall, it goes on very smooth and doesn’t feel heavy at all.

Liz_Toronto
Saturday, October 2/2010 at 1:17 pm

My two faves are the MUFE Mat Velvet and Laura Mercier Oil Free. The Mat Velvet gives me all-day natural looking coverage in the summer and LM’s Oil Free gives me a more luminous look in the cooler seasons. I’m currently testing out the Armani Silk Foundation but I actually don’t like it anywhere nearly as much as the other two! I’ll give it another week or so and see if it grows on me.

Monday, October 4/2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh interesting! What don’t you like about the Armani?

Another vote for MUFE… it’s been added to my wish list.

Liz_Toronto
Monday, October 4/2010 at 5:22 pm

Mostly my problem with the Armani is the lack of perfectly corresponding shade. The first time, I tried 5.5 and my face and neck were clearly different colours. I exchanged it for a 5. While it is much improved, the shade still isn’t perfect. I know that 4.5 or 4 are way too light. What to do! But it had to be tried. :)

And even with exfoliation, moisturizer, and primer, I can’t detect the luminosity or satin finish that’s promised. Maybe it has to do with my oily skin? The Laura Mercier Oil Free did a much better job on my skin when it came to the finish.

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:32 pm

Oh ok gotcha. Hate when that happens. Have you tried mixing it with another foundation that is lighter? That’s my last resort… I know it’s kind of a pain though.

And you may be right about the finish. I can detect the luminosity on my cheeks but not in the T zone where I tend to get more shiny.

Skybluesky
Monday, October 4/2010 at 4:28 am

I don’t know if this was mentioned, but you can get samples of Face Atelier’s foundation on their website! I ended up getting mine from another site that carries their line (whiterabbitbeauty.com) because shipping is free. I thought it was really cool that Face Atelier is animal-cruelty free, too.

Most people seemed to be really happy with the finish, and I know I said I don’t use foundations anymore but I get bored with my makeup routine and I like to switch it up. I have makeup ADD. But really, I’ve been really unsatisfied with foundations in the past–too drying (and I have skin that leans towards oily), cakey, or it’ll disappear off my face in a couple of hours. Foundation also tends to age me…which is not good, because I’m not even old yet!

Monday, October 4/2010 at 5:05 pm

Yep. This is why I don’t think everyone *needs* to wear foundation… if your skin is up to par, it’s a lot more youthful to go bare (with a bit of primer/concealer).

Thanks for the tip re: Face Atelier!

Rosalina
Monday, October 4/2010 at 9:14 am

Excellent post!
As a film and television makeup Artist, Armani has been my foundation of choice for my actors. It’s goes on very smoothly, it gives glow and luminosity effect, and it looks amazing on screen. That said… it looks equally great even if you’re not going to be on film. I hear that Face Athelier is very similar…
Another favourite is the Chanel pro-Lumiere for similar reasons, it gives a natural glow, special if you have a dryer and mature skin…it’s heavier then GA.
From the drug store my my choice is Revlon Colourstay…
they have two types, one for oily skin, and for normal to dry skin…once you’ve mastered the application this foundation will stay on all day. Great for Brides…you can also airbrush it on…but that’s another story.
My experience is in order for your foundation to always look dwee and flawless, use the right primer for your skin…and you, do not need to always use powder.
These foundations settle beautifully on the skin, just wait a few minutes… Loved reading everyone’s opinion….Great Blog, great post!

Monday, October 4/2010 at 5:08 pm

Oh yes! I totally forgot about Revlon—they DO make some good and well-priced foundations. Thanks for the reminder! I have the Photo Finish one… used it once when I had to get my photo taken and quite liked it. Will have to find ColorStay.

Thanks for the tips Rosalina!

YAS
Friday, October 15/2010 at 3:11 am

Makeup Forever Matte Velvet Plus and NARS Sheer Glow are both great foundations. They both have really good coverage while still delivering a natural look. NARS Sheer Glow is a lot more dewy than the Makeup Forever so it just depends on the look your going for.

Friday, October 15/2010 at 5:15 pm

Thanks for the recos!

Melissa
Saturday, October 23/2010 at 1:55 am

I live in toronto. Where can i buy the face atelier foundation?

Sunday, October 24/2010 at 1:21 pm

You can order online from their site, or there’s a store list here: http://faceatelier.com/face/ca/web.nsf/fmPublic!OpenForm&sec=findingface

Anna
Friday, October 29/2010 at 11:36 am

Has anyone out there ever tried Trish McEvoy’s Even Skin Foundation ? She has her own web site now if you want to look into it.

Em
Monday, November 22/2010 at 8:40 pm

chantecaille futureskin is absoultely the best foundation ever!

Shari Deitz
Monday, September 5/2011 at 1:25 pm

HI: Right now using Esty Lauder for oler women am in late 60′s and it is nice but a bit too thick. I have a tiny bit not that sensitive skin and this works. I would like one and skin on dryer side a liquid I think but something with medium coverage and not too heavy as clogs pores and I get facials and like my skin in good condition. But Oil free I thought for younger women with on oily side skin. I think a cream makeup might be too heavy though some do go on lightly. If you could recommend anything better than the Esty Lauder that is medium coverage, tried Lancome liquid agrees with me but a little too shear I think I would appreciate it. Thanks. I have on the fair color skin and am originaly a redhead and have green eyes. Also want a nice powder blusher and am good with color. Now my hair is on the browner side as has to cover the gray but keep my eyebrows on redder side or brownish, just will stick to Esty Lauder Futurist I think it was called lost it and need new makeup. If you can suggest a few or one better please let me know.

Melissa
Tuesday, April 17/2012 at 5:36 pm

I’ve spent way too much $ buying different makeup & have failed everytime. I am in desperate need for something that will finally end my makeup issues. I had to stop taking birth control once I turned 35, so now my skin has constant blemishes. I also have oily patches mixed with dry areas (especially around my eyes), dark circles & wrinkles that are filled with my powder mineral makeup. I just want to have great coverage w a fantastic glow, cover dark circles & not draw anymore attention to my wrinkles.
I can’t stand leaving the house looking the way I feel, with liguid foundation I feel like I have frosting all over my face and with bare minerals I feel like my face is all blotchy and not blended in correctly or covering all my facial flaws. I can’t really afford spending too much $ on anymore foundation (makeup in general). Is there any makeup that’s affordable (maybe drugstore bought) that you may know about that can finally end this makeup issue I’m having? Is primer something that would also help me w/o making my look even more oily? Looking forward to hearing some recommendations, Thanks for taking time to read on.

Heather
Saturday, October 27/2012 at 9:36 pm

I am having a hard time finding a liquid foundation that i won’t break out in hives from! Everything I’ve tried –even ‘sensitive skin’ types— makes me welt up and turn purple. Any suggestions?

April
Thursday, December 6/2012 at 1:15 am

Have you ever tried any of shiseido liquid foundation

I have tried a lotss of liquids and i love it
It becomes one with youre skin, also you can’t even feel it. Blends really nice , non greasy but moisturize youre skin, making the fine lines to disapear.

Bonnie
Friday, December 21/2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi, I am 63. I have worn liquid foundation(origins) when I was much younger and then went to bare minerals. However…I decided to buy Olay tinted moisturizer because I like a light feel and appearance. This product makes my wrinkles stand out even MORE. I have them by my eyes and mouth. I don’t dare use powder, I might as well go without. Anyway, I read your suggestions and I’m still confused. Can you recommend a light weight to medium product that won’t sink into wrinkles? Medium cost. and possibly some lifting qualities. Thanking you in advance….Bonnie

Maira-Elease
Sunday, February 10/2013 at 1:13 am

Is this article serious? I CAN’T AFFORD ANY OF THOSE. It would have been nice to see some cheaper Drugstore products.

Your Mom
Monday, February 18/2013 at 12:36 am

No offense, but drugstore products general wouldn’t be on a good foundation list. I’ve been through them all and You Get What You Pay For.

You can argue all day there are plenty of decent drugstore foundations (and there are DECENT ones) but if you want something that is “The One” you have to be ready to pay the price.

The best foundations are going to be 40+. That’s just quality.

Tiffany
Wednesday, February 20/2013 at 1:00 am

I love Elizabeth Arden’s cermamide lifting cream foundation. It’s medium to heavy coverage, and. Feels so comfortable when you apply it. It’s about $42 USD but a little goes a long way.

mandi
Tuesday, March 26/2013 at 8:33 pm

to the female that stated that the only “good” foundations are 40 and up…that is simply not true..i’ve been going to the dermatologist for years and she insists that the make-up is all the same…almay and neutrogena are really great choices..i’d rather spen the extra 20 on my kids!

aveli
Tuesday, May 28/2013 at 11:43 pm

I have PCOS, which means that I have to cover facial hair. All of my make up makes it look so noticeable because its caked on and doesn’t really cover much without putting so much on. I really want a flawless look when wearing make up (like I use to before PCOS) what would you recommend product wise and also how to apply. Please help thank you

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:37 pm

I guess you could call them soft-gels… they’re not in a hard white shell if that’s what you mean. It says the capsule is made of plant cellulose, and it is clear because you can see the yellow-coloured oil inside. But I have to warn you, they ARE quite big. I have sort of forced myself to get used to swallowing them… I take a big mouthful of water and then shove them in and down the hatch. Seems to work without making me gag anyway!
I don’t know.. maybe you should try the liquid!

Skybluesky
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 10:05 pm

I think I’m gonna try the liquid, too. Even when I was a kid and I had to take antibiotics and gross medicine, I’d always choose the bitter liquid over the large pills.

Thanks again, Michelle!