Katie Holmes Power of Women luncheon 2010

As I was telling a friend last night, I’ve recently slowed down in my mad (zing!) rush to get caught up on Mad Men episodes. I just feel like I’ll go through them all too quickly, and then it will be over and I will be sad.

Clearly, others are thinking this way too. Especially when it comes to beauty. Even though Marc Jacobs—among other designers—is telling us the ’60s are over and it’s all about the ’70s now, I’m not sure we’re there yet.

The most recent proof? The stylin’ at yesterday’s Power of Women Luncheon in Beverly Hills. It was your basic celeb-fest, but with a surprising absence of fake tans, bronzer, hair extensions (at least detectable ones) or anything overtly sexy. This delights me, it really does!

Let’s take a closer look at Katie Holmes, who has done a complete 180 lately and finally looks like A GIRL again. Yay!

Katie Holmes Women in Power Luncheon Katie Holmes, Anne Hathaway and AnnaLynne McCord prove that Mad Men beauty will not die
First of all, it’s rather thrilling in itself to see her actually wearing makeup and with longer hair again. (I was NOT a fan of that boyish phase she went through.)

And now, how wonderful that she’s taken the feminine thing to the max with the flushed cheeks, rosy lips and side-parted, curled-under hair. It’s just perfect with that floral dress: a nod to vintage but because the hair is a little loose and her skin is very fresh, it’s not TOO literal. Well done, Katie! Nice to have you back.

Anne Hathaway also cleans up real nice:

Anne Hathaway Women in Power luncheon Katie Holmes, Anne Hathaway and AnnaLynne McCord prove that Mad Men beauty will not die

It’s the same formula, you see? Mostly about the lips, a bit of blush, and then side-parted hair, tucked behind one ear, and with a gentle wave.

I think this means we need to become better friends with our hot rollers again, as opposed to those beachy flat-iron curls that have been in style for, oh, at least 5+ years now (Zzzzzzz). Here are the ones I use, from Conair:

conair hot rollers Katie Holmes, Anne Hathaway and AnnaLynne McCord prove that Mad Men beauty will not dieMake sure you spray each section with hairspray before you curl, to help it set. Teasing can also be your friend, as long as you don’t do it on a daily basis (it’s too damaging). You can follow James Vides’ how-to (and see it on me) here.

Finally, we have AnnaLynne McCord, who must have had some kind of major beauty overhaul, because she’s looking aMAZing lately:

AnnaLynne McCord Women in Power luncheon Katie Holmes, Anne Hathaway and AnnaLynne McCord prove that Mad Men beauty will not die

Another excellent ’60s interpretation, and probably not the one you were expecting what with the matte, pale lips and sweep of black eyeliner. To get these lips there is really only one product I can recommend, and I just adore it:

Shiseido Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer Katie Holmes, Anne Hathaway and AnnaLynne McCord prove that Mad Men beauty will not die

It’s called Shiseido Perfect Rouge Tender Sheer in shade #PK 224 and it is the most perfect matte pink that I’ve ever tried. It will not make your lips look dead, nor is it drying. Just soft, pale, un-shiny pink.

To get the hair, you obviously need to tease it at the crown—just make sure you do it underneath the uppermost layer so that the top part looks very smooth.

Tell me:

Which of these celebs did the vintage vibe best?
Are you a fan of ’60s-inspired beauty or are you ready for a new decade to inspire you?
Does it feel like we’ve been recycling the ’60s and ’70s FOREVAH or what?

shelby
Friday, October 1/2010 at 3:08 pm

AnnaLynn looks STUNNING, on my next big event/date I am taking that picture into MAC and telling them to give me that exact look. So gorgeous!

Monday, October 4/2010 at 4:18 pm

Yes—so ’60s sexy isn’t it? Still picking my jaw up off the floor after seeing this pic… what a transformation for her.

Melissa Brazier
Friday, October 1/2010 at 3:13 pm

I think you’re right it is time to embrace the hot rollers again. The one thing I would also recommend is a heat protecting spray before putting the rollers in. My absolute favourite is Kevin.Murphy Heated.Defence volumizing spray. A great all-in-one product for this kind of styling!

ps-love, love,loved your video with Kevin!

Monday, October 4/2010 at 4:19 pm

Oopsie – yes, definitely agree about the heat-protecting prodz. I didn’t realize K-Murph made one that was both protective AND volumizing. Jackpot! Must try. :-)

Jessica Ireland
Monday, October 4/2010 at 11:55 am

katie holmes looks GREAT here. i love her lipstick colour and am inspired to find a similar one for myself.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:31 pm

Very good question – you know, the only thing I have that comes to mind is my Josie Maran lip stain in Mambo: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/18/editors-pick-josie-maran-magic-marker-lip-cheek-stain/

But if you check out the post I did the other day on berry lipstick, there are some good recos in the comments! http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/10/05/paris-ss-10-glossy-or-matte-this-is-the-single-lip-colour-that-flatters-everyone/

ChickAdvisor
Thursday, October 7/2010 at 9:21 am

I’m crazy about AnnaLynne McCord’s look! She always looks beautiful but this is so chic! When going with a matte pink lip what kind of blush/bronzer would you suggest?

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:37 pm

Well with a pale lip you want a good amount of blush, as otherwise you’re going to look washed out. (And I am a blush addict.) I would do something in the pink family for sure, and this looks like it probably is a powder not a cream. Also notice that the cheek colour is pretty flat/matte – not luminous or shimmery.

Same thing with bronzer… definitely not a shimmery one, and likely powder. YSL makes a really good one that is very, very subtle so you can build to the colour you want.

Jodi Goulart
Friday, October 8/2010 at 10:12 am

I’ve been adopting the 1950s and early-60s beauty and fashion look for years now. It’s classic, sexy and sophisticated. For me, the retro vintage vibe is timeless!

Friday, October 8/2010 at 1:26 pm

Do you find it hard to find this type of clothing though? Or do you shop vintage? I really hate those loose sack dresses or empire waist stuff that’s been in fashion for what feels like forever. It is SO hard to find things that have a waist!