Paris S/S ’11: Lanvin makes a case for Latisse, which arrives next month in Canada—booyah!

Lanvin Spring 2011 makeup lashes

There is a curse in my family, and it involves eyelashes.

Specifically, the female members of the clan all have relatively pale, ordinary lashes that are neither long nor thick and require copious amounts of mascara. Meanwhile, the men—yes, the MEN—uniformly enjoy dark, thick, luscious eyelashes that go on for miles and seem to have a natural curl, even.

It is a cruel joke, no? And I was reminded of said joke when I saw these pics from the Lanvin show, which demonstrate that lashes—just lashes—can be all you need to “dress up” your face. GIMME!

Lanvin SS 2011 makeup 3 Paris S/S 11: Lanvin makes a case for Latisse, which arrives next month in Canada—booyah!

Ridonkulously gorgeous, right? There is not much of a brow (I suspect some of the models had theirs bleached out to heighten the contrast, which you may or may not want to try at home). There is not much of a lip either—perhaps just something like the (incredible, amazing) Shiseido pink matte lipstick I was talking up on Friday. The cheeks and lids have only a gentle flush of colour.

No, it is really only about the lashes—and the swipe of liner at the root of the upper lash line, which you should always, always employ when wearing falsies (which these are):

Lanvin SS 2011 makeup 2 Paris S/S 11: Lanvin makes a case for Latisse, which arrives next month in Canada—booyah!

I can’t get enough of this look because it meets my criteria of being low-key and Not Trying Too Hard… but at the same time, it’s still special and glamorous.

HOWEVER. You know what? Despite being eyelash-challenged, I was never very good at applying false eyelashes. I suspect most of us aren’t. I tried them a few times as a newbie beauty ed, but now I don’t bother. (Unless a professional is doing the job, of course—check out my pal Katherine’s stunning application courtesy of Murale. Hubba hubba!)

So all of this makes me mighty tempted by the news that Latisse is coming to Canada this November. Finally!

latisse Paris S/S 11: Lanvin makes a case for Latisse, which arrives next month in Canada—booyah!

Latisse is a prescription lash growth product that our American friends have been enjoying for oh, a few years now. But Health Canada has at last approved it and you’ll be able to hit up your doc for some next month. Besides making lashes longer (which it definitely does—beauty ed Julia has been trialling it for a few months and wowza her lashes are long), it also makes them thicker and darker. Maybe you already know that Claire Danes is a spokesperson—and looking pretty darn hawt these days, I’ve gotta say. And get this: in the U.S., it’s the number one asethetic treatment, with 75 percent of users planning to use it long-term.

Now, if you’re concerned at all with the scary talk about the stuff changing your eye colour (if you have blue eyes), listen up! I did a post a while back on Lumigan, which is a glaucoma treatment and the exact same formulation as Latisse. (The lash growth was discovered as a side effect, leading to the development of Latisse—but since it wasn’t available until now, Canadians have been able to use Lumigan off-label as a lash treatment. I suspect that will end now though, since we’ll have the real thing.)

Anyway, while Lumigan is inserted as drops INTO the eye, for lash growth, you’re applying the liquid (whether Lumigan, or now Latisse) along THE ROOT of the lashes. But those tricky scientists! The studies that showed a change in eye colour were done the first way—with people putting the drops into their eyes. Which you are most definitely NOT going to do. And even then, the incidence of iris darkening was only 1.5 percent.

So I’m thinkin’ the concern is pretty minor, although of course you should talk to your doctor about this if you do go for a prescription.

The one downside of Latisse is that it’s damn pricey—around $150 for a month’s supply, I’m told. (Although just think: you won’t have to wear any other makeup!)

Another option: you could always try your luck with a lash-enhancing mascara. A few options are here, and Lancôme Hypnôse Precious Cells is the newest:

Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells Paris S/S 11: Lanvin makes a case for Latisse, which arrives next month in Canada—booyah!

So tell me…

What do you think of the Lanvin lashes?
Are you good with falsies or do you think you might want to try Latisse?
Is $150 a month just crazy talk… or worth it for not having to bother with mascara or eye makeup?

Skybluesky
Monday, October 4/2010 at 8:22 pm

GORGEOUS LOOK!

Yes, my excitement warranty all caps. I love how the fullness and lushness of the lashes make the models look young and doe-eyed instead of older, which is what you mentioned a heavy mascara-ed look can do. But then again, who needs that much mascara when you’ve got false ones?! I am so jealous. I’m on week 7 of Latisse, and I definitely see an improvement and can’t wait until the 4 month mark!

Not sure if I’m repeating myself, as I’m pretty sure I commented on the last Latisse post here about a month ago…

I use fine brushes I buy from an art supply store, and sterilize them with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)…ethanol works just as well. The Latisse brushes are wasteful and increase the side effects such as drying as well as unwanted hair on repeated contact with skin surface. I use one drop for both lashes and line as close to my lash line as possible. I’m almost two months in and I’m still on my same bottle. I get mine for $95 USD from my dermatologist and he also gave me a punch card where I buy 3 (or is it 4?) and I get the 4 or 5th one free. The punch card is an official Latisse promotion that my derm is participating in. I also got a $20 rebate off my first bottle (got it from the latisse website).

I have the same eyelash problem! I have short/sparse/straight eyelashes. I am a surgery researcher but for the life of me, I cannot apply false eyelashes! They’re also bad for your lashes.

The good thing about Latisse is that once you’re happy with your lashes (might be before the 4 month mark, too!), you can just do maintenance…some people use it just 2x a week, some 3x a week, some every other day.

I’ve noticed that some people experience all of their eyelashes falling out at the same time after a certain point…I think this is an occurrence of all the eyelashes syncing up. Latisse prolongs the growth phase, so I *think * that’s why it’s happening. I’m hoping that if I change up my latisse maintence (i.e., be inconsistent but still doing it at least 1 or 2x a week), then my lash growth cycles will not sync up.

Then again, who knows, because everyone is different and even scientists don’t know the exact mechanism by which it works.

Skybluesky
Monday, October 4/2010 at 8:22 pm

By the way, Michelle, how is your Latisse/Lumigan (same thing, literally) progress going??

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:18 pm

Oh I haven’t tried this yet! Just one beauty editor friend (that I know of) is on it. While my lashes could definitely use some beefing up, the $150/month price is holding me back…

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:16 pm

Yes, I think I remember you talking about Latisse before!
Wait—are you in the U.S. or are you somehow getting your supply shipped to Canada for cheaper? (heh heh.. just hoping for some loophole here)

That’s a good point about easing things up with the maintenance, I remember the doctor I interviewed telling me that. I guess the people who aren’t doing that are the ones you hear about with the freak show lashes – the people who say they’re so long they need to cut them. (horrifying!) I think it’s smart what you are doing – I wouldn’t want my lashes to sync up and all fall out at the same time either!

Also true about scientists not knowing the exact mechanism – I wrote an article on this a while back and I think my editor was a bit frustrated that I couldn’t answer the question of how exactly this works. Even the Latisse people couldn’t really explain it.

skybluesky
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 1:17 pm

Nah, I’m in the US. I pay about 2/3 of retail price, most dermatologists/plastic surgeons (at least in the US) offer discounts. I probably wouldn’t be using it if I was paying full-price. Have to emphasize that I’m still on my first bottle!

Lumigan is probably cheaper, and it’s the same thing. I heart loopholes, too.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:09 pm

Darn! Everything is always cheaper in the U.S. :-(
I wonder if anyone will prescribe Lumigan here when Latisse is available… probably not.

skybluesky
Thursday, October 7/2010 at 3:41 pm

Any kind of doctor (your regular doctor included) can write Lumigan…depends on your doctor and how well you guys know each other. It’s not like you’re asking them to write you an Rx for crack (ha), definitely worth a shot!

Jane
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 5:30 pm

Gorgeous!

I had a very bad lash extension experience last spring that left me with next to no lashes and what lashes were left were short and sparse- do NOT do this. Ever. I wept for weeks at my vanity.

In desperation decided to try Rapidlash that is available without a prescription from the pharmacy for around $65. I am AMAZED! The difference is astounding- long dark lashes that curl. I’ve tinted my blonde lashes for years. Now I hardly ever have to go, and the esthetician I’ve been going to for almost 20 years was shocked at my lashes. I will NEVER be without Rapidlash! One tube lasts me approximately 3 months.

I will say that I have had a slight darkening of the skin along my lashline but it looks natural and doesn’t bother me at all.

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:21 pm

Oh Em Gee. They ripped out all your lashes when you got the extensions off? Or they fell out? Either way—that’s awful.

I’m no stranger to bad beauty experiments… used to get my eyelashes tinted all the time when I lived in Australia. Not exactly safe having dye that close to your eyeballs.

That’s amazing about Rapidlash though! (Canadians can order here: http://well.ca/products/rapidlash-eyelash-renewal-serum_15049.html)
I might just have to order some. My problem is I always forget to apply these things—I have a bunch of the lash-enhancing mascaras but have never seen results because I’m not a compliant user! Oops.

Jane
Thursday, October 7/2010 at 8:51 am

I equate lash extensions with acrylic nails. No matter how judiciously applied/removed, what is left behind is a thin sad version of what you started with. Bad bad bad. And at a minimum $150 application and at least $100 every 3 weeks to refill….omg.

I tint my blonde lashes all the time and have for 20+ years with no ill effects at all. Pretty sure the product used in Canada won’t blind me. But with Rapidlash I hardly need to. It just became part of my evening routine after eye cream application. I do it 2 x a week now.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:11 pm

Yikes!
But wow wow wow re: Rapidlash. If you only apply 2x a week, I could definitely handle (ie. remember) that.

Thanks so much for making me/us aware of this!

katherine
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:51 pm

I love this look–Latisse *is* awesome, but I’m not sure I could rationalize the price tag–you need to see Julia’s lashes though—she’s been much more diligent than me and it SHOWS! They are ridiculous.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:12 pm

You’re using it too? I didn’t realize! Next beauty event, I am lining you two up to compare eyelashes. So tempted… but yeah, there are other things I could spend $150 on. Not to mention I have enough mascara to open my own Sephora.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 6:49 pm

Well the Canadian health care system is “interesting.” Not saying they *can’t* do it but more that they probably *won’t* do it. They like to be pretty by the book when it’s socialized medicine…. And I’m sure they get some kind of higher kick back from prescribing Latisse. Worth a shot though as you say!