Paris S/S ’11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

YSL Spring 2011 makeup lips

If you’ve been following along with the fashion week coverage here, you might be a tad apprehensive about just how many lip colours I’ve been throwing at you lately. There were the slick, vinyl-finish red lips at Gucci. The pretty poppies at Twenty8Twelve. The simple nudes at Versace and D&G. Neon pinks at Diane von Furstenberg. And orange, well, pretty much everywhere.

So let’s say you don’t want to play that game and you just want ONE gorgeous and versatile update for your lipstick drawer. Is there such thing as a universally flattering lip colour?

Why yes, yes there is! And that colour happens to be…

BERRY!

Unlike reds, you don’t have to worry about the whole warm vs. cool thing with berries. Nor is there the danger of looking weirdly corpse-like, which is a common complaint with nudes and pale pinks. Plus, a berry is never going to clash or look garish. Simply put: they look good on everyone because they’re a deeper, more intense shade of your natural lip colour. That’s right: you, only better.

YSL, as you may know, has had an enduring love affair with this shade—remember the deep, almost-black version from a few seasons ago? This time, it was a decidedly more wearable (read: lighter) version, at least from what I’m seeing in these photos. Also note: this shade looks fantastic whether it’s dripping with gloss (above) or in an understated matte (below):

YSL SS 2011 makeup 3 Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

See how it flatters ALL different skin tones?

YSL SS 2011 makeup 5 Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

And yes, it’s another Pat McGrath custom mix, made not from a shade we can actually BUY, but from several different pigments. (On my To Do list: find something similar! If anyone has any recos, leave ‘em in the comments…)

Whatever you end up using, DO use a lip brush to apply it, paying careful attention to getting a soft, rounded shape like this:

YSL SS 2011 makeup 2 Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

I also think it’s quite fresh again to actually MATCH your lip colour to your nails. Here, the shade (which you can see on the 2nd model from the top) is YSL La Laque #40, from last year’s fall collection—check out the shade here.

And just an aside—if we can talk about hair for a moment—how cool are these French rolls (at YSL)?

YSL SS 2011 makeup 4 Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

Not that I could ever hope to replicate them myself. At Givenchy, the berry lips were matte and paired with this almost Medieval-looking hair:

Givenchy SS 2011 makeup Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

The blonde is actually my favourite—doesn’t she look straight out of a fairy tale?

Givenchy SS 2011 makeup 2 Paris S/S 11: Glossy or matte, this is the single lip colour that flatters everyone

So let’s discuss…

Are you a fan of berry lips?
Do you like ones at Givenchy or YSL?
Got any shade recommendations, pretty please? (I know, I know, I’m supposed to be giving those to YOU, aren’t I? Come on… help a beauty editor out!)

Lesa
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 1:30 pm

Pretty much my entire lipstick collection is berry in varying nuances. Can’t. Get. Enough. Of the shade.

Some in heavy rotation:
YSL Rouge Pur in “#149 Black Tulip”
Revlon Colorburst Lipstick in “Grape”
MAC Satin Lipstick in “Rebel”
My latest fave is Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in “Volga” (just used at the MJ show Spring 2011)
and for a lighter, more stained effect, Korres Lip Butter in “Plum” and Liptick Queen Glossy Pencil in “Mystery”

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:55 am

Oh yeah! You love the berry don’t you? Thanks for these recos—I might have that YSL somewhere. Didn’t get that shade from Revlon, just red, pink and orange. And my M.A.C collection is seriously lacking.

Have heard mixed things about the matte NARS… haven’t tried those either.

What I wouldn’t give for an entire collection of Lipstick Queen stuff! I love Poppy.

M
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 3:46 pm

cliniques black honey is universally flattering too!
and sorry to say but the models above look like aliens with the bleached brows..

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:56 am

Oh right—Black Honey is such a classic!

And yes, ignore the bleached brows. Normally I’m not against a bit of eyebrow-lightening *on blondes* but this is not right.

Ashley
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 9:14 pm

the best plum iv found is the MAC tinted lip conditioner in Plum Perfect. it can be a sheer wash all the way to lipstick like. not super harsh looking

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:57 am

Nice! I love a tinted lip balm.

Arianne
Tuesday, October 5/2010 at 10:58 pm

I’m a big fan of berry lips. One of my latest acquisitions is MAC Party Line Lipstick, which has quite a bit of a sheen because it is creamy. It goes on sheer but layers to full on berry red. :)

Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 11:58 am

M.A.C do excellent sheers, don’t they? I just hopped over to your blog to see if I could find it and wow – really pretty.

PS – again, I love your bangs. You look hot!

Sara
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 8:15 pm

Nars Limited Edition Strawberry Fields is the perfect fall berry color. It can be worn glossy or you can blot and it stains lips perfectly.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:38 pm

Just had a look at it on the NARS website and you’re right – very pretty! Good to know it doubles as a stain.

Gimped
Wednesday, October 13/2010 at 5:46 pm

I need a few fall lip colour. I usually go for the lighter berry shades, but def need something darker for fall.

Can’t wait to try some of the suggestions!

Friday, October 15/2010 at 5:38 pm

Me too! My collection is sadly (and surprisingly) lacking in the berry hues…

Gimped
Monday, October 18/2010 at 5:34 pm

I grabbed a berry from The Body Shop: http://www.thebodyshop.ca/cg62lip.html It’s not nearly as dark as the swatch looks. There’s a lot of purple in it, so it’s quite plum-y. It looks a lot like the first pic actually when I add some gloss to it.

Question: I have smaller lips, but can I work with a darker colour? I find that sometimes my lips look funny cuz the darker shade seems to exagerate the size of my lips … or lack there of. Is there a trick I can use to avoid this from happening?

Tuesday, October 19/2010 at 3:54 pm

Yes, darker colours will exaggerate smallish lips…. light, glossy colours make them look bigger. What you could try is wearing the lipstick with a dab of clear gloss in the middle of your mouth…the shine will help give the illusion of fullness.