Paris S/S ’11: Introducing Chanel’s smoky eyes (I’ll pass) and The Next Must-Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

Chanel spring 2011 makeup runway beauty

So the show we’ve all been waiting for has FINALLY arrived. Yesterday was the debut of Chanel’s S/S ’11 collection, and by all accounts (and my Twitter feed), the fashion pack is over the moon.

And the beauty pack? (Why doesn’t anyone use that expression, by the way?) I’ve gotta be honest—as far as the hair and makeup goes, I’m sort of torn on this one.

First of all, I love this slightly shimmery, greenish gray eyeshadow. But I’m just not sure about the heavy-handed application. (I know, I know, it’s for the runway—so they have to be dramatic. For Real Life we could make it stop at the crease and it would be 247 percent less man-repelling.)

The hair, too, perplexes me. I haven’t said anything about this whole “scuba hair” trend that’s been surfacing—mostly because I had hoped it wasn’t actually going to be a Real Trend—but it appears I’m going to have to address it. Slick, wet-looking, stuck-to-your-scalp hair is apparently “a thing”—and Chanel did theirs with the addition of what I assume is eyeliner, drawn straight down the centre part-line.

Ahem:

Chanel SS 2011 makeup 1 Paris S/S 11: Introducing Chanels smoky eyes (Ill pass) and The Next Must Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

I DO love this youthful pink lip though, and actually, the models who got to wear dangly earrings and fancy ponytail feathers made everything much more palatable:

Chanel SS 2011 makeup 2 Paris S/S 11: Introducing Chanels smoky eyes (Ill pass) and The Next Must Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

From the side profile, it’s seksi, right?

But enough about that—the REAL reason you’re still reading this post is because of the nail polish. And as I’m sure you know, Chanel is the Ruler of All Nail Polish Trends. That colour you’re wearing right now? Whether it be baby blue or taupe or nude or navy or purple (you get my drift), at some point Chanel declared that it would be in style.

So without further ado, here’s a first look at the nails on the runway…

Chanel SS 2011 nails 2 Paris S/S 11: Introducing Chanels smoky eyes (Ill pass) and The Next Must Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

UK-based nail artist Sophy Robson (who you should definitely follow if you care about nail trends) tweeted a closer-up pic of the colour, which appears to be a metallic green (some pics make it look more grey-green, others, like the below, look more forest green):

Chanel SS 2011 nails Paris S/S 11: Introducing Chanels smoky eyes (Ill pass) and The Next Must Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

And thanks to French Vogue, we have this shot of the bottle:

Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Black Pearl Paris S/S 11: Introducing Chanels smoky eyes (Ill pass) and The Next Must Have Nail Polish Shade (gimme!)

As you can see, the shade is called Black Pearl, and if I know my Chanel marketing calendar (and I hope I do after all these years!), it should hit stores sometime in January. Quite possibly there will be a waiting list. You’ve been warned.

So what say you?

How do you feel about metallic green nails?
How do you feel about metallic green eyelids?
I’m not even going to ASK how you feel about drawing eyeliner down your part-line. Sorry Chanel, not even you can make that one fly.

Anya
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 12:04 pm

Oh Chanel! You did it again! Can’t wait ’til January. In the meantime, there is a somewhat similar shade by China Glaze called Black Diamond: a smoky sparkly graphite that can appear greenish under certain light.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the reco! For anyone interested, just found a pic here: http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2007/09/china-glaze-ski-collection-swatches.html Looks more grey but will trust you on the green thing. :-)

Anya
Thursday, October 7/2010 at 3:56 pm

I see a bit of green when it’s on me. It could be the reflection of Vancouver trees, ha ha.

Little Moron
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 2:21 pm

I love the eyeshadow, but pass on the nail polish. The shadow looks edgy, but pretty and neutral enough to wear if applied with a lighter hand and worn with some feminine pinks, but the nails seem almost muddy and gloomy to me. Like a non-colour. Yuck.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:15 pm

I hear you – I think you could definitely make the shadow work , it’s a pretty colour!

Nicole
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 3:31 pm

The shadow doesn’t do it for me at all but I do like the nail color. It reminds me a bit of OPI’s Lucerne-tainly Look Marvelous which is all kinds of awesome. This one looks like more of a flat frost though where OPI’s is more of a shimmer/foil. Oh and the liner down the hair part? Not on your life.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:16 pm

You people have such excellent nail polish shade memory! Found a pic here, I like! http://shortnchic.blogspot.com/2010/08/opi-lucerne-tainly-look-marvelous.html

daniela
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 6:07 pm

I just LOVE the feather piece and earrings !

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:17 pm

I know, I love hair accessories. I’m always so rushed that I forget to use any, but this makes me want to take a trip to Claire’s Accessories (my fave cheapie place for this stuff).

Skybluesky
Wednesday, October 6/2010 at 10:02 pm

The clothes are beautiful, but the eyes…just way too drag for me. Maybe it would be better if it was used as a liner. I do like the nails…thinking about scheming to get it…with nail polish I usually get the cheaper knock-offs and use a good top coat.

UGH, the hair. Major no. That line drawn down the middle is so weird. Just, no.

I’m all about pretty hair and glowy skin and natural beauty.

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:19 pm

Yep, agree – if the hair was sans eyeliner and less slick, along with the shadow just to the crease, this would be 1,000 times more wearable.

And I’ll bet there will be at least a handful of copycat nail polish colours very soon… OPI is usually fast on that front. Will keep you guys posted!

Jane
Thursday, October 7/2010 at 8:44 am

LOVE the polish and the eyes! I would obviously tone the couture eye look down to Normal-Person wearability….but what I love is that the green is toned down with grey. A very wearable green for grown ups. I’ve fallen hard for some green polishes but always feel they suit my daughters better than I. This is way more sophisticated and do able. LOVE <3

Thursday, October 7/2010 at 2:20 pm

That’s a good point – I would rather die than wear a true forest green on my eyes, or nails for that matter, but the grey mixed in makes it much more palatable. Glad you like!

Gimped
Friday, October 15/2010 at 3:08 pm

I’m a fan of both the eyes and the nails. Def need to tone down the eyes, but aside from the too-much factor it’s quite pretty. The nail colour is awesome! I used to do my nails all the time, but since I work on a computer all day I don’t see the point — it usually chips within a day of applying it. BUT this could be the colour that gets me back in the habit!

Gimped
Friday, October 15/2010 at 3:09 pm

Oh, and when did it become fashionable to draw a runway down the centre of your head?? It’s all kinds of awful …

Friday, October 15/2010 at 5:14 pm

I’m the same—my nails chip super fast, no matter what I do. I’m on a Nailtiques protein treatment regimen right now, hoping that will help make them stronger. But yeah… I usually only apply polish for special occasions (or, like, beauty events when people expect you to practice what you preach!). Manicures have always been a waste of money for me.