Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using… and whether you really CAN wear orange

Reza Zaimeche Giorgio Armani Cosmetics

His name is Reza Zaimeche and he boasts the fancy-sounding title of International Face Director for Giorgio Armani Cosmetics, which basically means that he’s a really, really good makeup artist and gets to fly around the world doing so.

And a few weeks ago, he flew his stylish self (it’s been a while since I’ve seen a man this well-accessorized) to Toronto for the celebration of the brand’s 10th anniversary. Can you believe this line has only been around for 10 years? Luminous Silk Foundation, it feels like I’ve know you forevah.

And speaking of foundations—since we’ve been discussing them A LOT this week—this video chat with me n’ Reza (and a couple of other beauty gals whose voices you may recognize) is rather timely. Because he has some strong opinions not only on how to choose the right shade and type, but also whether you need to factor in your skin tone when choosing your lipstick or eyeshadow. Even more entertaining are his rants on what NOT to do.

Here’s the video:

And here’s a quick rundown of the products he mentioned…

The Luminous Silk Foundation is the original foundation in the line and still considered by the people in the biz to be the best. It’s completely buildable and is suitable for all skin types:

armani luminous silk foundation 300x300 Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orangeHowever, if you have particularly oily skin, the same formula is available in a matte version, which is the Lasting Silk Foundation:

Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk Foundation 268x300 Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orangeIf your skin’s really good, Reza says you can just apply the Fluid Master Primer

ArmaniPrimer Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orange

…with the High Precision Retouch Concealer (I think I got the image wrong in the vid, sorry):

Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch 268x300 Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orangeFluid Sheer is kind of a wonder product that can be worn alone or mixed with your foundation to add radiance or change the colour ever-so-slightly (like from winter to summer when your face has more of a tan, for example). You can also use it as a makeup base. It was an InStyle magazine Best Beauty Buy!

Armani Fluid Sheer 300x300 Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orangeThe Face Fabric Foundation is the newest in the line (it launched this spring) and is for the woman who doesn’t like the feel of foundation—it’s extremely lightweight but definitely perfects the skin!

giorgio armani face fabric radiance 300x300 Video: This dude knows what foundation you should be using... and whether you really CAN wear orange

And yes, all of this stuff is mad expensive, but you know what? Even though people say you can invest in some makeup items and save on others, once you’ve tried, well, anything from Giorgio Armani, it’s damn hard to go back to the drugstore stuff. The textures and pigments are Just. That. Incredible. Sorry for being an enabler, but it’s true.

Have you ever tried any of these products?
Do you agree with Reza’s advice?
Do you think people in Japan who may be watching this are offended that Reza said they all have pimples and wear cakey makeup? I hope not. He told us he thinks it’s because they eat too much raw fish. So…er…lay off on the sushi?

Jill D (29secrets.com)
Friday, October 8/2010 at 4:31 pm

Great vid & tips. sorry to be the shrill laugh track — oopsie!

Tuesday, October 12/2010 at 5:33 pm

No worries – I sound like a 12-year-old girl, after all!

nel
Saturday, October 9/2010 at 8:21 pm

Hey, Love the tips and obviously its great to hear from Reza who offers more advice than a lot of people behind the counter at Giorgio Armani. I think that as a prestige line, the textures are beautiful but the colour palette continues to be limited for no reason at all in a global market. It is often frustrating to have to spend twice as much as a person who is covered in the light shade spectrum for makeup. I had to buy two face fabric shades to create one that could come anywhere close to my own skin tone. Eventually, as much as a line may have beautiful products – the question that is asked by several consumers is, “where is my shade?”

Tuesday, October 12/2010 at 5:47 pm

Hey Nel – that’s a great point and thank you for bringing it to my/our attention. How frustrating for you! Do you have any favourite lines that you think have the best range of skin shades?

Skybluesky
Sunday, October 10/2010 at 8:31 pm

He is a makeup genius! But I find that for me, when I try to balance my skin tone with a “corrector,” it just looks grey and ashy/dirty on me. I think it’s more modern and realistic looking to use a face makeup (foundation/concealer/tinted moisturizer) with the yellow undertones that match my skin.

But I do like to sometimes balance out my other colors (like lipcolor) with slightly cool colors…like berry. Not too cool, but you know what I mean?

I love how he talks about how there really are no rules anymore in makeup. It’s true!

I really haven’t seen any Japanese girls with makeup up close! But with the surge of BB cream popularity, here is what I have to say on the Japanese BB cream movement (based on a friend who bought a BB cream). It is way too cakey and I say don’t believe the hype. I guess that’s my rant of the day.

By the way…I got my Face Atelier samples and while I admit the finish is very nice, #7 (tan) was perfect for my tanned Asian skin, but the undertone was too cool. I guess I’m hard to please, but I didn’t like how it looked close up! I’m spoiled by good tinted moisturizers! Not that I have fabulous skin, but it’s been really behaving and I much prefer the look of my skin bare or with tinted moisturizer. That being said, I can definitely see how it’ll look good in pictures. Maybe I’ll mix it with my Shu Uemura Face Architect foundation…

By the way, I LOVE awfulplasticsurgery.com and goodplasticsurgery. Guilty pleasure, holla!

Tuesday, October 12/2010 at 5:57 pm

Oh too bad about Face Atelier! I wonder if Shu Uemura, because it’s an Asian brand, understands Asian skin tones better… Oh and I don’t use correctors either. Too much work!

Interesting theory though about balancing out your skin with a lip in the opposite colour. My skin is pretty neutral, but probably more on the pinkish side… maybe this is why I LOVE the look of a coral lip so much. Opposites attract I guess!

Also thank you for alerting me to BB Cream. I had no idea what it was and just spent 10 minutes Googling. Seems kind of weird and heavy. I’ll stick with my primer, thanks! :-)

Gimped
Friday, October 15/2010 at 3:29 pm

Can you give us an idea of what pricepoint we’re looking at for the GA prodz … or is it just too scary? :)

Friday, October 15/2010 at 5:10 pm

Great question. I should have mentioned in the post, sorry. The foundation is $65. You can actually buy some of the products online from The Shopping Channel: http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/category/more+from.do?e=1&N=132221

Vivian
Monday, October 18/2010 at 11:07 am

In search for a new foundation, I went to the mall planning to try out the new MAC prolongwear foundation and NARS sheer glow. BUT before I even got to trying them I remembered your blog and stopped by the GA counter. While I liked it, I wasn’t convinced HOW much better it was compared to the other foundations. I went on to both sephora n mac only to realize that nothing could compare to both the texture and the coverage that GA had. I immediately ran back and purchased the GA luminous silk foundation lol. So you’re right once you try GA, its hard to go back lol

Tuesday, October 19/2010 at 3:57 pm

Oh wow, that’s great! So cool you were able to do a side-by-side comparison. Awesome. That’s what I like about GA too – you get a goodly amount of coverage without it at all being heavy.

Eva
Monday, November 8/2010 at 8:58 pm

I would like to leave a fair comment on BB cream.
I have been using BB cream for a while. There are so many brands out there other than the korean and the japanese ones, ranges from drugstore brand such as neutrogena to high end cosmetic lines like chanel, they all have launched their own BB cream. So, you can expect the quality varies. The reason i would prefer BB cream over other foundation is the SPF protection is excellent. News, magazines , blogs have blowned our mind emphasizing how important is sunscreen, ironically, there are rarely foundation that has adequate SPF protection available in the norhern america, most the foundation has only a built-in SPF at max of 15. But we are suggested to wear SPF 30 everyday. I like the fact that most BB cream has SPF ranges 30 to 50. So I dun have to wear another thick layer of sunscreen under. BB cream in general also have excellent coverage for that tiny amount. So it’s best for lazy people (like me) who need to cover up dark circles and pimple scars without applying tons of products and wanting a natural finish. For that little tube that lasts forever, it only costs me CA20. (depending on the brand)
I have tried shu uemura’s foundation, I absolutely love the way it’s on my skin, but it doesn’t do much for that CA50. It has almost no coverage and not long lasting. Oh well, so if you have absolutely flawless skin, you might as well not wear any foundation, but for people who need some decent coverage, BB cream does the job. The only thing disappointing about BB cream is the limitation on the colour spectrum, so if you have a rather dark skin, it’s harder to find a suitable shade.

Skybluesky
Monday, November 8/2010 at 9:09 pm

I’m glad it works for you! I have NC 35 skin (Asian, tan, yellow undertones) so there’s no way it works for me haha. I also like to choose my own SPF (I much prefer physical sunscreens). I do my acne/skincare regimen at night because those products always interfere with my makeup during the day. I usually will do an antioxidant, moisturizer, sunscreen, then a tinted moisturizer during the day. I prefer milky sunscreens. I usually stay away from foundations because they’re too heavy…but I recently discovered Armani Luminous Silk thanks to Michelle’s blog (!)…natural but great for events and photography.

I’ve seen my friend’s BB cream on her, though, and it doesn’t look good. The color matches, though, because she is pale and cool-toned; BB creams have that greyish cast. I am pretty sure it is making her acne worse. But she is stubborn and I don’t want to step on her toes.

Monday, November 22/2010 at 7:49 pm

Wait – I thought BB cream originated *in* Asia. That’s so strange that there isn’t one to match your skin tone!

I agree with you re: physical vs chemical sunscreens. Interesting about your friend’s BB cream not looking good. Is it because it looks too heavy/cakey? I agree, I’d be super-wary of putting something so thick on my skin… especially after my Oil Cleansing Method pore-clogging nightmare! I think when you have acne many people want to cover it up as much as they can… but it actually looks worse and even contributes to the problem.

Friday, February 11/2011 at 6:43 pm

Yes, I think that’s a future post topic – I’ve probably confused people because I really only advocate natural sunscreens (which are meant to be worn on top of your moisturizer) whereas the chemical ones need to go on first in order to absorb.

Re: oxidization – this is something I need to look into more, I think I’ll get a MUA to answer this one. I don’t know whether it has to do with acidic skin or oily skin or what. But I would think a better solution than wearing the wrong colour would be to create a barrier with a primer. Must investigate anyway…

Li Ming
Monday, January 31/2011 at 11:52 am

The thing about BB cream is that it is hard to remove and without removing it properly that is how one will worsen the acne problem. I agree BB cream has a bit of a cast but try going with a lighter hand and usually you can find that it blends to your skin a bit better – that said I am still not a huge fan though. However I am also not that big a fan of the BB creams I have tried. I think we also have to bear in mind that in Korean/Japanese/Asian culture, women seek to have whiter skin – hence the white cast (IMO) and the whitening properties in some BB creams.
A reason why alot of foundations don’t have alot of SPF is because foundation is designed to sit on top of your skin while SPF is suppose to be under/absorbed into your skin. So I find it interesting to see SPF in foundations. Also from a photographer’s POV, having SPF will ruin pictures because it reflects light to give a white cast.
Also I thought if we are btw choosing a lighter and darker, go for the lighter because the foundation will oxidize to a darker shade?? And as women in North America, we need two different foundation shades – summer vs winter skin color.

Monday, November 22/2010 at 7:45 pm

Hey Eva, thanks for the insights on BB cream – I definitely need to investigate it more. What brand(s) do you use/recommend? I agree that the high coverage + sunscreen is a compelling benefit… Is it a natural sunscreen or chemical?

Gimped
Monday, November 15/2010 at 4:13 pm

So I was applying my Benefit “Some Kind-A Gorgeous” foundation this weekend, in light that I normally don’t apply my makeup in, and noticed it was so NOT the right colour for me!! Can we say orange? Eww!!! I had that 2 tone look — face one colour, neck another. Immediately I thought of this post and had to re-read it.

When I first bought this there were only 2 shades available — now there are 4 — so it’s likely just a matter of finding the right shade … and hopefully not a matter of switching prodz altogether.

Question: Am I looking for a shade that’s the exact same colour as my own skin, or something lighter or darker?

Monday, November 22/2010 at 5:54 pm

Hey Gimped – sorry I’m so behind on comments! You definitely want to go for a shade that’s as close a match to your actual skin tone as possible… but if in doubt, go slighter darker not lighter. More tips in today’s post including where to test it: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/22/no-offense-but-youre-probably-making-one-of-these-7-mistakes-with-your-foundation/