Justin Bieber’s takeover of the beauty industry starts not with a flat iron (yet) but nail polish and fragrance—you in?

Justin Bieber

I suppose it was inevitable because he is, after all, taking over the rest of the world—so why not our beloved beauty products?

I’m here to tell you that it’s true. Justin Bieber, not content to sell albums and fan T-shirts and copies of Tiger Beat and a doll, is now about to tell us what our nails should look like and also how we should smell. And probably more products to come shortly—just imagine the possibilities!

The biggest surprise for me is that he didn’t start with a flat iron. You know he uses one. Him and that Zac Efron guy. Right? And come Halloween, there are going to be a shiz tonne of people using them to “get the look.” (Because I like to be servicey, take some inspiration here.)

Anyway, news first broke a couple of weeks ago on his new nail polish line, and I got a bit more of a scoop on Friday when OPI’s Suzi Weiss-Fischmann was in Toronto for the company’s annual fall press event.

The line will be called One Less Lonely Girl (ahem…) and will be part of the Nicole by OPI brand, whose surprisingly excellent Gossip Girl collection just came out a couple months ago. And how much do you wanna bet that this will be five zillion times more successful?

Of course, there is sparkle (which we actually should not knock, because it’s making a comeback in more…um… adult-focused lines as well). And I’ve got to say that I love these colours:

Justin Bieber One Less Lonely Girl Nicole by OPI Nail Polish Justin Biebers takeover of the beauty industry starts not with a flat iron (yet) but nail polish and fragrance—you in?Also just so you know—the Nicole by OPI line is exactly the same quality as regular OPI; the difference is that you don’t have to go to a salon to buy it. (It’s at Walmart.)

You WILL have to wait until Feb. ’11, however, to buy this. And you know what’s weird? …I kind of want this collection. What?

Anyhoo, available sooner (Nov. 26 at Walmart in the U.S.—no word on a Canadian launch) will be the Bieb’s debut fragrance line, announced in today’s WWD:

justin bieber fragrance my world dog tags wwd cover illustration 240 Justin Biebers takeover of the beauty industry starts not with a flat iron (yet) but nail polish and fragrance—you in?

Fittingly, it will be called “My World.” Because what the world needs is more Bieber, obviously.

It will be unisex, which surprised me because I was not aware that he had male fans. There will be four scents to choose from: Icon, Energy, Tour and Web. And they’re not, apparently, going to come in traditional bottles—they’re going to infuse dogtags and wristbands.

Wow. Very creative.

So what will they smell like? No word yet—but consider this quote (from WWD) a warning:

“I actually like the Britney Spears perfume on girls,” he admitted. “It smells good.”

Yikes! So… assuming this post will bring out the haterz:

Should I even ask if you are a Justin Bieber fan?
How do you feel about him venturing into beauty products?
If you had to choose, would you go for the nail polish or the fragrance? Or is that not really a “choice” at all?

shivani
Monday, October 25/2010 at 1:23 pm

This is very LOL-inducing. I can see it being a hit with the 12 y o’s though.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:06 pm

Totes!

Liz_Toronto
Monday, October 25/2010 at 2:45 pm

Hate hate HATE the idea — but don’t quite hate the last nail polish shade (bottom right). Not crazy about the collection in general but I can deal with nail polish. As long as it remains in drugstores only.

However, I am not going anywhere near that “perfume”.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:06 pm

Yeah, I can only imagine what sickly sweet concoctions they’ll put out as perfume. Agree on that nail polish shade though!

ElaineA
Monday, October 25/2010 at 6:58 pm

LOL ok totally not for me, but I can see all the parents running out to get this for their daughters. The nail polishes will just be out in time for Valentine’s day – a lot tween boys may be buying this to impress their “girlfriends” :P

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:07 pm

Oh God! NOT a gift I would like to receive!

Skybluesky
Monday, October 25/2010 at 9:43 pm

The only color I would maybe go for is the plummy color.

Michelle!!! You have to watch this comedian do a reading of Bieber’s memoir…so astute. You’ll know what I mean. It’s a youtube video that’s pretty short.

Also, GA luminous silk foundation…HG foundation! I’m still going to stick with tinted moisturizers for every day life, but it photographs really well…I can send you a picture if you don’t mind!

Skybluesky
Monday, October 25/2010 at 9:48 pm

Haha, I realized that I got way, way too excited. *Toning it down*

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:10 pm

OMG hilare! Thanks for that!

And yes – would love to see a pic of the GA foundation!

Gimped
Monday, November 1/2010 at 10:34 am

OMG, that “inspirational” link was awesome!!!!

I understand The Biebs has his place in the music world. He’s not my cup of tea, but then again he’s not supposed to be. But … I really don’t understand why he’s venturing into the beauty world. He has absolutely no credibility behind him!! He doesn’t wear make up so that whole “he’s doing it so why can’t I” mentality is gone, and the idea of the pre-pubescent wearing a perfume/cologne is just weird. If Justin Bieber was Justine Bieber then maybe this could possibly work, but I’m still not keen on the idea of the fan base diving into the world of beauty. 10 and 12 year olds have no business wearing nail polish and perfumey trinkets. Let kids be kids!!!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:13 pm

I dunno – it’s kind of like how those Barbie princesses are plastered on just about every possible product for girls age 0-8. If it’s on there, they want it… doesn’t matter how random or lame the actual product is. I figure it’s the same psychology for the Bieber marketing machine.

And yeah – I don’t think 12 year olds need to be doing manicures just yet. Plenty of time for the beauty maintenance to start later in life, when they actually need it!

Justindoll
Friday, November 19/2010 at 1:17 am

He is alienating all the boys with all this girl stuff….not good Justin

Monday, November 22/2010 at 5:00 pm

Justin Bieber has male fans?

Scottay
Thursday, December 2/2010 at 12:41 am

When does his cologne come out and wear? my girlfriend wants me to get it…

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:36 pm

Should be out now at Walmart. I *think* it’s in Canada as well as the U.S.