“Too matchy-matchy” can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

Mila Jovovich Hollywood Awards Gala 2010 orange dress

You know the expression “too matchy-matchy,” right? It’s a fashion thing that came into favour around the early ’00s, I believe (or at least that’s when we Canucks realized that the Canadian tuxedo* really wasn’t something to be proud of). “Matchy-matchy” even has its own reference in the Urban Dictionary:

Often used in fashion blogs. Used to describe an outfit that is too coordinated and consists of too many of the same types of colours, patterns, fabrics, accessories, designer pieces, thematic elements, etc. Can also be used in reference to interior design.

Off the top of my head, one recent celeb example of FASHION matchy-matchiness is Hilary Swank, who, if you’ll recall, kinda sorta failed on her faux bob execution last week. Now, don’t get me wrong—I actually love this outfit, and colour—but in the words of the brilliant Fug Girls, “I really, really don’t know if I needed to see it replicated from the ears to her ankles all the way down to her toenails.”

Hilary Swank matchy matchy Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

Right?

*But it could be a lot worse—here’s what I mean by Canadian tuxedo (then I promise we’ll get back on the topic of beauty):

Kiefer Sutherland Canadian tuxedo 618x1024 Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

Easy, Kiefer.

Anyway! The reason for this post is, as you’ve probably guessed by now, that I want to point out the dangers of matchy-matchiness when it comes to makeup, and even hair.

This is Milla Jovovich at the Hollywood Awards Gala last night:

Mila Jovovich Hollywood Awards Gala Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

From this far away, she looks pretty hot, right? Not many people would have the guts to wear that super-loud orange… although I’m not sure what’s going on with the turquoise-beaded white platform sandals (!?!).

Let’s take a step closer:

Mila Jovovich Hollywood Awards Gala 2 Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

Still lookin’ good… but now the close-up:

Mila Jovovich Hollywood Awards Gala 3 Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

Ruh-roh.

Her hair is orange. Her eyelids are orange. Her cheeks are orange. Her lips are orange. Mila, unless you’re moonlighting as an Oompa Loompa, this is a little bit too much. Too much even if the dress was not also orange. And trust me—this is coming from a person who, in general, LOVES orange.

So. Stepping up on my beauty soap box now, I’m going to make a broad generalization here (even though Giorgio Armani’s Reza Zaimeche says there are no rules anymore in makeup). I still think that when it comes to risky colours like orange, you need to decide between your eyes or your lips, but not both. Then maaaybe you can do blush in the same colour family, but not always. And hair is just a Wild Card. I actually think this colour is very, very pretty—I’m just not sure about it in the context of this makeup.

If it were up to me, I think she should’ve:

a) Kept the hair, kept the eyeshadow, but toned down the cheeks and lips to a nice, neutral nude…

or

b) Kept the lip, and maybe the cheeks too, but traded the eyeshadow for something neutral and possibly darkened up the hair.

Or some combination thereof, anyway.

Clearly, the colour orange must REALLY confuse people (even famous makeup artists) because another recent offender was Blake Lively:

Blake Lively orange makeup Too matchy matchy can apply not just to clothes but also makeup

See how the orange repeated on the eyelids, cheeks and lips just AGES her?

So tell me what YOU think about this matchy-matchy business:

Do you agree that Milla overdid it on the orange?
How about Blake—even worse, right?
Do you love Kiefer for actually walking around in public in that outfit? I do.

Lisa
Tuesday, October 26/2010 at 6:47 pm

I *know* I am not fashionable, however I think Mila looks lovely, she is one very beautiful woman, and yes she should’ve toned it down a little by going for a more neutral eye with a bit of light liner or something, but regardless I think she looks great. Then again, I am guilty of going matchy matchy myself with no regard for the ‘rules’ whatsoever ;)

Blake, well I think her hair scraped back like that and her brows being so light and ashy in tone compared to her hair doesn’t help her look as young and gorgeous as she really is.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 4:57 pm

Beauty rules are meant to be broken! :-)
But yeah… it’s hard to fault Mila when she’s obviously more gorgeous than most of us could ever hope to be. She could wear mud on her face and still look good. Just thought this was a bit too much orange but I’d STILL look like a little troll standing next to her!

I think you’re right about Blake, maybe it’s also the eyebrows…

skybluesky
Tuesday, October 26/2010 at 11:39 pm

There’s something kind of retro (not in a good way) about the matchy match look…it’s not what I’d call monochromatic??? It looks harsh in the eighties kind of way.

Milla Jovovich is probably one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever seen in my life…is it wrong that I’m glad she made the mistake? Am I evil? She does look good in every picture except for the close-up…even though it’s the same color, it kind of clashes and distracts from her beautiful face.

Blake Lively is also pretty, but she wears too much makeup (I know they all wear a ton of makeup, but she always looks non-natural)…but yeah, her entire makeup that night was harsh and off. I did like her dress, though.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 4:59 pm

Not evil! Think of it like that page in Us Weekly: “Stars: They’re Just Like Us!” I love when they screw up a bit, makes them more human :-)

Nicole
Wednesday, October 27/2010 at 1:32 pm

I think Mila looks great although I think perhaps lighten the lip and darken the eyes and it would have been perfect. As for Blake, the eyebrows are too ashy and the lipstick is just not flattering. Such a shame because she is so pretty.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:00 pm

Agreed! That’s the 2nd comment on Blake’s brows – I didn’t even notice when I first looked at the picture, but you’re SO right.. they are way too pale and ashy.

Jenn
Wednesday, October 27/2010 at 5:17 pm

Okay… I love orange, like a lot. I would have gone with the dress (other shoes, obvs) and the lips with neutral eyes/cheeks. You can’t really help your hair colour on an outfit-by-outfit basis, cause it would fall out, but you can choose what colour dress you wear. Hmm… maybe I don’t like the dress anymore. At any rate, I really just wanted to comment that Blake’s necklace looks like a dog collar and leash. It’s like a dog I saw once that was walking itself; it had a leash on but was out wandering. Much like this comment.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:02 pm

Ha! It IS a dog collar. And yes re: hair colour. I didn’t mean people should dye it to match their outfits. Hope nobody interpreted it that way! Perhaps if she just ditched the orange dress everything would be ok.

Gimped
Monday, November 1/2010 at 10:48 am

Mila’s look is okay. I agree with your suggestions, Michelle, BUT the look isn’t THAT out-there as far as screaminess goes. This could have been WAY worse :) I’m also a bit surprised that she’s wearing this during the evening. It looks like a daytime office look to me. It’s so … subtle compared to most red carpet looks. Evenings are the time to go glam. No smokey eye???

Blake is just unfortunate. She is so gorgeous … but gets it ALL wrong here. She looks almost 10 years older!!! Eww!!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:03 pm

Oh I agree – it’s not a disaster or anything! God – I wish I could look half this good when I go out. There’s just something… off. Agree that a smoky eye might have made a difference.

Lyly
Thursday, August 15/2013 at 4:26 pm

I like the Turquoise with the Orange…Milla is perfect. ;)