chipped nail polish

As a person who is genetically cursed with the softest, weakest, stupidly chip- and snag-prone nails (along with fine, straight hair and pale, short-ish eyelashes—I’m sure they all must be somehow related), I’ve always been jealous of people whose nails are hard as rocks. It’s an economics thing, really. Because their nails never chip, that means manicures last and last… whereas I rarely get them because I just can’t justify paying $30+ for something that chips in a day. It’s annoying.

Oh, I know all about Shellac. As I mentioned in my review, NOT having chips for two weeks was a dream, but you know what? It left my nails in an even sorrier state afterward. (More on that later—I’m going to be testing out rival long-lasting polish treatment OPI Axxium very soon… which is apparently supposed to be WAY better for wimpy nails.)

But sometimes out of adversity comes greatness—ha!—and that’s exactly what happened when I was nursing my poor nails back to life and discovered this product.

Nailtiques Nail Protein Formula 2 Plus

Nailtiques Nail Protein Formula 2 Plus Got wimpy, weak, splitting, peeling nails? Meet the product that has changed my life

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been an OPI Nail Envy user. I thought it was the best of the best, but no offense, OPI—Nailtiques has you beat.

Because I fall into the category of “Excessive, Problem Nails” (their description, not mine), I’m a candidate for Nailtiques’ most hard-core protein formula, which is Formula 2 Plus. Apparently you are supposed to use the slightly less-intensive Formula 2 for six weeks, sans any other polish, and if you don’t get results THEN move up to 2 Plus. But my nails must be REALLY bad, because one of the lovely women who do my monthly pedis at Concepts in Toronto (where you can buy this) recommended I just go immediately into the 2 Plus.

You may notice a theme here because I also didn’t follow the instructions that you are supposed to apply it daily. I’ve only used it maybe two or three times a week for about a month now, but I am still thrilled—thrilled!—with the results.

I have no idea what makes Nailtiques different from Nail Envy in terms of the formula. It’s basically a mix of keratin, protein, calcium and gelatin that bonds the nail layers together to give you strong but flexible nails that resist peeling, chipping and splitting.

All I know is that it seems to stay on my nails for MUCH longer than Nail Envy does, and it has changed them from something resembling this (okay, maybe not QUITE this bad)…

split fingernail Got wimpy, weak, splitting, peeling nails? Meet the product that has changed my life

to something more like this…

french manicure Got wimpy, weak, splitting, peeling nails? Meet the product that has changed my life

NOT bendy, NOT soft, NOT flaking and snagging, etc. And they are growing! You are supposed to use it less and less as nails respond to the treatment and then go down to Formula 2 for maintenance.

A few other things that help weak nails:

• File your nails in one direction only.
  • Invest in a porcelain nail file like this one from Tweezerman. I’ve had it for a couple of years now and it actually seals your nails when you file them. I will never go back to regular emory boards!

tips tweezerman porcelainfile 0609 Got wimpy, weak, splitting, peeling nails? Meet the product that has changed my life

• A slightly rounded square is the best shape to prevent breakage. (Round nails are the worst… although you know I love that shape right now.)
  • Don’t file up and down the sides of your nails as it will weaken them.
  • When you DO get manicures, do not—I repeat DO NOT—let them soak your nails. Dry manicures are where it’s at. Beautygeeks has the deets on why, here.
  • Try not to use nail polish remover too often as it’s very drying.
  • Don’t apply the Nailtiques (or any other nail hardener) to your cuticles as it will make THEM stronger and tougher too…which you do not want.
  • Make sure you’re applying some sort of cuticle oil/balm or hand & nail cream to keep those nails and cuticles nourished!

Tell me:

Are your nails similarly weak and wimpy?
Do you agree that manicures, for the likes of us, are a Big Fat Waste of Time/Money?
Have you tried Nailtiques?

Heidi
Thursday, November 4/2010 at 1:51 pm

Can I get this in Montreal? I have wimpy, peeling, chipping nails too! Worse in the winter so I’d like to be prepared. I haven’t heard, or seen, this product anywhere.

You may be my new nail-hero!
Heidi

Thursday, November 4/2010 at 4:05 pm

Hi Heidi! I can’t find any specific stores listings for Canada on their website, but I think you should be able to get it at selected nail salons. Or maybe if you want to do a bit of extra homework you could contact their distributor: http://nailtiques.ca/
If you try it come back and let me know how it works for you!

Gimped
Thursday, November 4/2010 at 4:31 pm

My nails are actually pretty good. But I wish I had known about prodz like this a few years ago when I had acrylic nails done. There was no reason to have them done — I’m not a biter so my nails get pretty long, and they’re very healthy looking — but I decided what the hay. OMG, after I took them off it took MONTHS to get my nails back to decent shape. Splitting and cracking like crazy. Lesson learned.

I think I mentioned this the other day, but I’m not a big mani person. I LOVE getting my nails done and love the way they look, but I’m on a computer all day so even the best manis start chipping 2 days in. Every now and then I treat myself if I have a shindig to go to, but other than that it’s a waste of money. It’s a shame with all the fab new colours out (*hearting* deep purples) but what’s a gal to do?

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:46 pm

Yikes re: the acrylics! I always thought that all the typing I do was part of the reason manicures chipped on me (besides the fact that my nails are so weak). But weirdly since I started using Nailtiques I’ve had one manicure – a DRY manicure – and it actually lasted a good 6-7 days before I had to remove. Which is like a miracle for me!
Not sure if the difference was the Nailtiques helping them to get stronger, or the fact that they didn’t soak my nails… probably it was both.

misschris2025
Thursday, November 4/2010 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for another great post, Michelle! Your recommendations are always on point and your tips are the best! After helping me fix my skincare problems (loooooooove Green Pasture’s Cod Liver Oil and the Clarisonic brush, it’s a miracle duo), you’re also helping with my nails, so mayjah thanks for that :)

I too live in Montreal, so instead of scouring around the city on a nail product scavender hunt, I turned to eBay and found a seller which sells Nailtiques 2 and 2+ for $8/bottle + ships to Canada for $2.50. She also has a HUGE selection of nail polishes and combines shipping if you order multiples. I don’t know if the Nailtiques she sells is listed at a good price, but thinking about the markup when you buy at retail price, it looks like a good price!

Here’s the eBay store address for anyone in Montreal or Canada who’s interested: http://stores.ebay.com/Enchanted-Beauty-Spot

I’m most def getting a bottle!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:47 pm

Yay! So glad the CLO and Clarisonic have helped you. And AWESOME that you found Nailtiques on eBay. Thanks for posting the link! Pls let me know what you think when you try it.

Arianne
Thursday, November 4/2010 at 7:07 pm

I have HORRIBLE nails. When they get just a little bit long, I get that sexy splitting situation in that photo. Must try!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:48 pm

If you do pls let me know if it works for you!

Skybluesky
Thursday, November 4/2010 at 8:33 pm

My nails are okay-ish; they’ll chip like once every week or two…okay, they’re not great, but they could be a lot better. I like to keep my nails short and they’re usually bare or have clear nail polish. I used to love Nail Envy, too…I don’t know where it is anymore!

I figured that about Shellac leaving your nails in a sorry state…it seemed too good to be without consequences…but I’m getting a free Shellac manicure at my favorite makeup store/salon! FREE! I love free stuff, hahaha. I’m getting it on Saturday, before my event!

By the way, manicure dealies that use UV lights…if you use them often enough, you can get skin cancer. It’s like a tanning bed for your fingers/hands. I don’t do this kind of stuff enough to worry about it (I think I’ve had a UV light on my hands once). It’s worth nagging about it, though.

Thanks again for all the help!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, I was really sad about Shellac… but I have high hopes for the Axxium treatment I’ll be trying soon. The manicurist actually sent me a chart outlining the differences between the two treatments, so I’ll post that when I do my review. Sounds like Axxium is WAY better for problem nails.

Oh and good point about the UV light – I read about that too and it’s kinda scary! Part of the reason I wouldn’t want to have those treatments on the regular.

Jane
Friday, November 5/2010 at 7:17 am

I have to say the Deborah Lippmann Hard Rock top/base coat has changed my nails. They are like claws now! Amazing. That and the glass file have given me the nails I always wanted. I must try that porcelain file though, it looks and sounds so elegant and is likely as gentle as the glass/crystal files.

I used Nailtiques years ago when I would rip off the acrylics and grow my own nails back. It is amazing and has immediate dramatic results but I found it worked but only for a little while, then my nails would get too brittle and start breaking again. It has formaldehyde in it which I think only hardens nails short term.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:55 pm

Oooh I didn’t know Lippmann had a clear polish… I’ve just seen colour stuff from her so far.

And very cool to hear the glass file helped your nails. I wonder if it does the same thing as the porcelain? They’re probably really similar.

Thanks for the heads up re: your Nailtiques experience. I hope hope hope that doesn’t happen to me but I’ll update this post if it does. As for the formaldehyde… yeah not ideal but as I said in this post my understanding is that because your nails are dead it’s not seeping into your skin. It’s breathing the stuff in that is the problem… so I try to apply near an open window.

KarenC
Friday, November 5/2010 at 10:36 pm

Thanks for letting me know about Nailtiques. I’ll have to find some and try it!
I also enjoy using this product: Gelous Advanced Nail Gel Coat. I use it by itself and/or as top coat.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:55 pm

Hmmm haven’t heard of that brand. I’ll have to investigate!

KarenC
Friday, November 5/2010 at 10:38 pm

Oh, forgot to ask, do you know what the ingredients are in Formula 2?

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:57 pm

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Toluene, Nitrocellulose, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Dibutyl Phthalate, Acrylic, Resin, Formalin, Hydrolyzed Protein, Calcium, Gelatin, Hydrolyzed Keratin.

Nicki
Saturday, November 6/2010 at 8:58 am

Ooooh, I’ve seen Nailiques at the beauty supplier that I go to. I will have to try it. My nails chip and peel constantly. I love the dark nail polish look, but it chips and peels the first day.

And about your pale lashes, come for a lash tint on me!! I just started offering this service, as part of my makeup services, as I have many clients with fair lashes and brows, and they love, love, love the after. They can go sans mascara by choice now, because their once blonde lashes, are now dark and luscious! Come anytime and give it a try!

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 12:59 pm

Aw thank you Nicki! You know what, I tried lash tints a couple times when I lived in Australia… I remember really loving the effect but I got soooo claustrophobic and freaked out during the “waiting” period, feeling like the dye was going to seep into my eyes! Also have you seen this? http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/09/23/the-most-dangerous-cosmetic-in-the-world/

Nicki Traikos
Monday, November 8/2010 at 10:20 am

Thanks for the link Michelle. I agree with staying away from ingredients that are harmful especially when working in the eye area. The tint that I use is the most gentle formula that I have found on the market. I always use shields and stay away from the root of the lashes. My clients constantly remark on how comfortable they are during the service and are free of any irritation. Again, I too always stress to use caution when using products around the eyes. For example, I am very apprehensive with the lash growth treatments and such. Those products are what are absorbed directly into the skin and then into the body. Thanks again!

Chantel Simmons
Saturday, November 6/2010 at 3:26 pm

What a great post! I have such weak and paper thin nails. I want to try this! I’ve been getting Axxium for about 4 or 5 months now, and I love it so much I get it put right back on after I remove it. I feel like I can’t go back to regular nails because I love how my nails never split or break and the polish never chips, but at the same time, I wonder if my nails are weaker now than before and if I should go for a while with them naked and try to strengthen them with this product instead. Can you post what you think once you remove the Axxium, and if you think your nails are weaker or stronger?

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:32 pm

Hey you! I will definitely give you the verdict after I try Axxium. I’ve been emailing a bit with Leeanne from Tips – she says Axxium is actually really good for weak nails so you’re probably not doing anything wrong… but I will let you know either way what happens to me. :-)

makeup morsels
Saturday, November 6/2010 at 3:27 pm

ooh glad this works for you! I’m actually using something that sounds similar right now (except it’s a lotion/cream) called GoNails. It’s on the pricey side, but so far I’m loving it.

Saturday, November 6/2010 at 5:33 pm

Oh I’m going to need to look that up – VERY intrigued by the idea of a lotion that strengthens nails! thanks MM!

KarenC
Saturday, November 6/2010 at 7:15 pm

Any one know what the ingredients are in Axxium and GoNails?
Where do you buy these?

Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 6:00 pm

I’ll find out about Axxium when I go for my test drive!

I found this for Go Nails:

Lipoplastadine – Strengthening, improves thickness, nourishing and resilient, healing effects.
Thymulen 4 – Stimulates the synthesis of keratins to improve skin barrier function.
Biotin – Data proves that it thickens, strengthens and hardens nails.
Keratin – Strengthening and conditioning proteins.
Arginine Aminobenzoate – Patented DNA Stimulator, promotes damage repair.

Kat
Monday, November 8/2010 at 6:10 pm

I simply cannot buy OPI anymore.. My nails are tough, so it’s not really on topic, but aren’t their applicators just the crappiest ever? It takes a pro hand to get a finish that doesn’t have streaks in it. I fell in cosmetic LOVE recently with Sally Hensen’s Complete Salon Manicure, they have the most AMAZING colors, I can never decide and always end up buying two at a time (buh-bye, budget resolutions..) and honest to God, it lasts a whole week (and more!) without chip. All that without even having to use a base/top coat! The applicators are wide and easy to handle, they’re just wonderful.

Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 6:03 pm

Oh really? I actually like the OPI brush. Much better than Chanel – or even worse, Joe Fresh!

I have to confess I haven’t used Sally Hansen all that much, just because I don’t have that many shades I like. (They always send me weird ones like teal blue or yellow or brown… I’m more of a classic red or pink type of girl.) I’ll have to do a brush comparison though – thanks for the heads up!

Karen
Monday, November 8/2010 at 6:18 pm

Hi Kat!
I totally agree about OPI’s brush! I am unable to use them too! I will admit their Nicole by OPI is much better. The polish is a little thinner but I don’t mind because I can apply the coverage I like. Which nail strengthener do you like?

Kat
Monday, November 8/2010 at 7:55 pm

I used to use Lise Watier’s, but they stopped selling nail products for some time now.. The lady at the store told me they were working on an improved line of products, but I still don’t get why they would remove everything they previously had, and why it’s taking SO LONG!! I’m just using Revlon’s Multi Care Base + Top Coat in the meantime, it’s not that great, but I’m changing colors so often these days! A top coat only means I need more polish remover, which just makes my nails drier, which makes me need more products, etc. You get the drill. I keep it simple, and it’s so easy with Sally Hensen’s Salon Manicure! Top coat, base coat, all in one fast-drying solution! I should do their PR, OPI would go out of business! lol

Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 6:06 pm

I’ll check in with Lise Watier about that, Kat!

I can’t remember if I’ve ever used Revlon’s base/top coat…if I have it wasn’t that remarkable… but I will say that their polishes are basically indestructible. Cherries in the Snow is still one of my all-time favourite shades and it’s so, so chip-resistant. Probably because it contains lots of chemicals :-)

I will have to try more Sally H. though after your great testimonial!

Karen
Monday, November 8/2010 at 8:51 pm

Hi Kat,
Glad to know you approved of Sally Hansen’s products. They are one of my fav’s too!

stephanie
Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 1:56 pm

omg Michelle! I NEED to try this! I can sooooooooooooooooooo relate to your brittle nails scenario and the WORST part is, until this post, i thought i was alone!! Turns out… i’m not! Mine are always splitting or almost worse…snagging and catching onto everything delicate only to eventually split down to the skin level (ughh).
This post has me absolutely convinced this is a hereditary thing (my mom for the record, also “suffers” from fine, straight hair, brittle nails and pale, short eye lashes). My mom actually tried Shellac and likes it…might have to warn of the after-results you allude to here. Ii absolutely need to find this nailtiques product– your nails look ah!mazing!!

Wednesday, November 10/2010 at 6:09 pm

Oh I should clarify – those aren’t my *actual* nails. But honestly, pretty close! They actually got so long that I had to cut them, which NEVER happens…usually I have to cut because they’ve peeled or ripped off, etc. You know the drill.

I just hope it keeps working this well – see comment above about getting great results at first but not permanently… :-(

Agree that it is hereditary, definitely – my mom’s nails are the same too. And I must have taken every vitamin known to man but no difference whatsoever.

Rachel
Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 9:59 pm

Hi Michelle,
I was just wondering where in Canada you can purchase the Tweezerman porcelain files. I’m from Toronto and I’ve actually been using glass files, so I’m wondering what the difference is between porcelain files and glass files. I do have to say that since I’ve been using glass files, I’ve seen a major improvement on my nails.

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:30 pm

Hi Rachel, I have a question in to the PR to find this out for you. Stay tuned!

Monday, December 6/2010 at 4:23 pm

Okay – answers from the PR:

1) The Porcelain File is available at very select Shopper’s Drug Marts and select Bay Stores in Toronto. To find a location visit http://www.tweezerman.com

2) The difference between the porcelain and glass is that the porcelain is strictly used for hand nails shaping, while the glass file is for feet and can be used to smooth skin, remove calluses and rough skin and shape toenails.

Karen
Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 11:56 pm

Good question Rachel! I have been wondering too!
Also where to buy Go Nails?
Also where to buy Tweezerman Zip File? As anyone tried this product?

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:33 pm

I’m not familiar with the zip file so have asked the PR about that for you. The info on Go Nails is here: http://www.mygobeauty.com/ Not sure if they are in any retail outlets or just online…

Monday, December 6/2010 at 4:24 pm

Got an answer for you on the Zip file:

The zip file is a contained file and basically can be pushed up out of it’s case while using it, and then lowered back down while not in use. Unfortunately these files aren’t available in Canada at the moment.

Darn!

Kalie
Saturday, December 4/2010 at 10:11 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I used to have great nails, but for the past few months they’ve been very weak and peely. After reading this post I contacted the Canadian Nailtiques distributor and was able to pick up a bottle near my house (Trade Secrets, Holt Renfew Centre). I’ve only been using it for two days, but I can already feel the difference, it’s amazing! Now I’m going to make an appointment to get an OPI Axxium manicure before the holidays because I know my nails will be able to handle it.

Monday, December 6/2010 at 4:22 pm

Awesome Kalie! Glad it’s working for you!

KarenC
Monday, December 6/2010 at 8:43 pm

Just a question (not to give a negative impression): with Nailtiques they have a not so good ingredient. Does that bother you or does the benefits outweigh the risks? Just asking before I try :)

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 7:03 pm

Hey Karen – I hear you on the chemical thing, I used to be concerned about that too. I addressed it in general here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/03/reader-question-are-there-any-chemical-free-nail-polishes-that-wont-harm-my-nails/

Basically – the advice I got from an ND a few years ago was that because your nails are dead, they actually can’t absorb these chemicals. From my understanding, it’s breathing them in that isn’t good… so I always try and apply either outside, near a window or at least in a well-ventilated room.

KarenC
Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 7:34 pm

Hi!
Thanks for all the advice ladies. I truly appreciate it.
Just wanted to let you know that you can find a lot of products at Sally Salon! They have an online store and an actual shopping store. The online store right now only ships to the USA. Also Revlon Calcium Gel Nail Hardener is great too. It does leave some color but I don’t mind. I always apply to coats of that. On their website it states that you can put a coat on each day if you need. I will try the Nailtiques 2. I find the OPI Nail Envy leaves my nails yellow and have disregarded that one from my must-have list. The Gelous Nails is great as I mentioned above. You can get that from Sally Salon. I have boughten stuff from Enchanted Beauty as well. If there is something you want and they don’t have it on their website, you can email them and request it! Lately their customer service has slacked, but I retried an email inquiry and they were quick to respond. I have searched for the Olan Quick and Slick (now Prolana). It’s really difficult to purchase if you live in Canada. There are some on Ebay but the shipping is high. Another website too is that sells it. Also on Ebay for the nail zips is beautyxtremme. And another site for free shipping is http://www.glowingbeauty.ca.

Tuesday, December 14/2010 at 6:09 pm

Thanks for all of these leads Karen! I never noticed that about Nail Envy… interesting. I’m still using the Nailtiques and loving it!

Chantel Simmons
Tuesday, December 21/2010 at 4:08 pm

I just bought Nailtiques to try to strengthen my nails. Do you apply it daily forever or do you have to remove some of the coats every so often? Thanks!

Wednesday, December 22/2010 at 9:27 am

I don’t ever remember to apply it daily (more like 3x a week maybe), but yes – I do remove it every 1-2 weeks since I find it starts to chip a bit around the edges. (Or when I’m wearing colour on top and need to change my regular polish.) Honestly I am *still* amazed by this product… for once I’m having to CUT my nails, which never happens. Even with my crappy application schedule I’m still having great results.

Mia
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 7:09 pm

I’ve always had great nails – fast-growing, strong, naturally nicely shaped. But as I get older the vertical ridges are getting more and more pronounced and too deep to buff out. My nails now split along the ridges whether I buff them out or not.

I wanted to try the Nailtiques 2 but it’s currently out of stock at my local Trade Secret. Yesterday I bought 2 Essie Products instead. Millionails, which has many similar ingredients to Nailtques 2 and seems to claim to do the same thing, plus Protein Base Coat. Millionails gets overall good reviews on Makeup Alley and was on sale at 50% off at Trade Secret.

If nothing else, I like the way these products look on my nails! I follow up with a ridge filler and while I can still see the lines from the ridges, they’re less pronounced. Still too early of course to see if the splitting problem is solved, but I’m optimistic.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know Essie made a similar product. Will you come back and let us know how it performs?

Vicki S
Tuesday, January 18/2011 at 9:58 pm

Oh gosh I’ve been a nail-biter forever (I know, gross) and I am hoping to grow them out. Hopefully, they will grow back normally. If not, I’d have to look at some of these products (although I’ve always been a bit skeptical).

Thursday, January 20/2011 at 5:59 pm

Me too but this one has surpassed all expectations! Still loving it months later.

Annie
Sunday, April 24/2011 at 8:43 am

I just wrote a review of a fabulous product that gave me a two week manicure and gorgeous nails. And it’s less than $4.00 a bottle! Check it out at http://www.anniesnuggets.com/2011/03/two-week-manicure.html

Donna
Tuesday, April 10/2012 at 6:07 am

Shame the nails you are showing as something more like this are acrylics or gel!! How do I know this… Enlarge the photo and you can see where they are sculptured on!!! Comeon put a picture up of real nails!!

Cari
Sunday, December 9/2012 at 12:06 am

I thought I was alone! I was a Cronin nail bitter for 18 years. As I recovered from the damaged I caused, my nails would grow but it, wasn’t a pretty sight! Having missed out years of applying and maintaining polish, Shellac seemed like a saving grace…until it set my nails back by YEARS. I have tried opi, biotin, and anything else the ladies at the beauty stoy have recommend-nothing has worked!

I am super excited to try this. Thank you for the hope!

Katherine
Sunday, January 27/2013 at 3:55 am

I don’t believe a word you said in this post because the after picture or “more like this” picture shows acrylic or gel nails. You can clearly see the growth above cuticles with the tell tale bump between cuticle and natural nail growth. Also that white tip, come on Michelle who are you kidding. If your going to take the time to post something like this to help people at least use your natural nails and take before and after pictures of them. So it actually helps people.

Samara
Wednesday, January 30/2013 at 9:10 am

Lmao at Katherine! I was reading the comments, and I’m like, and I the only one that sees her painfully fake nails in the after photo?! That’s a hot mess! I was so into this article and then BAM, she just didn’t give a care, she just put the most fake white tip nails in the after photo I ever saw! I mean come on! Even her nails are that long, that thick acrylic or gel overlay is the only way they are staying strong/hard. Not because of this miracle formula. I know the acylic overlay will keep nails hard, it just won’t cure the brittle nail problem underneath. It jus masks the problem.

Wednesday, January 30/2013 at 9:43 am

I repeat: please read the post. I never suggested those were my nails, just that I went from peeling, weak nails to something resembling the 2nd photo. I have NEVER used acrylics and probably that’s why I didn’t recognize them when I sourced that photo to insert in the post.

I’m certainly not trying to pass off fake nails as a result of this product – that would be totally shady and ridiculous.

Wednesday, January 30/2013 at 9:40 am

Oh dear! Did you read the post? I clearly stated before the photo that they look “something more like this.” As in: those aren’t my nails. I didn’t look closely enough to realize at the time (this post is from 3 years ago by the way) that they were acrylics, and yes I agree that it would’ve been great to have my own before and afters. However, my point is that I went from peeling nails to strong, healthy-looking nails. If the fact that I’ve used photos that aren’t my own turns you off from using a great product then so be it. :)

Elizabeth Molloy
Wednesday, June 19/2013 at 5:01 am

Revlon do a ceramic nail file you can buy in lots of places. Amazon is very cheap

JB
Thursday, March 20/2014 at 12:43 am

Hey Michelle,

I recognized that the photos were of fake nails but I got what you were trying to show. I am going to try it. I have used their products in the past and did get good results. Thank you so much for the suggestions. Have a great day!