Newly engaged Kate Middleton has hair (and makeup) that is royally awesome

Kate Middleton engagement hair

And it’s a good thing, too, since she only had to share her engagement with the entire world yesterday. No pressure, Kate.

Now, I’m not really a royal watcher—haven’t really been following this whole William-Kate romance or anything—so perhaps the girl has been killing it with her hair and makeup all along, I don’t know. But either way, this beauty pundit is pleasantly surprised at just how well Kate nailed it for her big photo sesh. Someone is giving her very, very good advice.

Advice that us commoners just might learn from too…

First of all, we need to discuss The Hair.

Kate Middleton engagement hair 2 Newly engaged Kate Middleton has hair (and makeup) that is royally awesome

I don’t mean to gush but it’s simply glorious, isn’t it?

Glossy, smooth, shiny, voluminous, softly cascading over her shoulders. I could write more adjectives but I won’t. All in all: it makes you really appreciate the tremendous power of a good old-fashioned professional blow-dry, doesn’t it? Such a nice palette cleanse after all the frizzy stuff I’ve been making you look at lately.

I would love to tell you how you could DIY this look at home, but I will be honest: unless you’re quite skilled (which I am not, not by a long shot), I don’t know if it’s possible. You might come close by using a round brush to dry your hair in sections, lifting at the roots and then smoothing down the shaft, gently curling at the bottom. It’s just going to be a bit tricky to replicate that perfect, perfect wave that flirts over one eye… or the gorgeous waves with the soft, flippy ends. And of course, you need to start with insanely healthy hair to begin with. A shine treatment wouldn’t go amiss, nor would a light smoothing serum all over to tame flyaways. Oh, and it helps if you’re a brunette. Blonde doesn’t reflect light anywhere near as well.

Probably easier: go for that professional blow-out (there are tons of reasonably priced blow-dry bars popping up all around us, including Blown at Hair on the Avenue in Toronto and the Blo chain in B.C. and Ontario). And then extend its life by:

1. Asking your hairdresser NOT to use any products unless absolutely necessary (since they tend to weigh your hair down and give you the greasies faster).

2. On the second (and third or fourth) days, applying dry shampoo to your roots (but not the part line).

3. Loosely wrapping a scarf around your hair to protect it from getting all messed up while you sleep.

4. Or if not, sleeping on a silk pillow so that your hair doesn’t “tug.” (It’s great for preventing sleep wrinkles too!)

Got all that? Good. Now let’s discuss the makeup, which is absolutely radiant and showcases one of the best eyelining jobs I’ve ever seen:

Kate Middleton engagement makeup Newly engaged Kate Middleton has hair (and makeup) that is royally awesome

What is great is that you know she is wearing makeup, but nothing jumps out at you, which in my opinion is the very best kind of makeup. The focus is on the eyes—long (but not too long) lashes, soft grey eyeliner and shadow all the way around the eye, a hint of blush and then just clear gloss. (She has pretty great teeth for a royal, no?)

But the best part? Notice that the brows are not über-groomed, at least not on the top. This I heart very, very much, especially on brunettes with darker brows like Kate. I am not sure how well I’ll be able to articulate this, but there is just something harsh when ladies with this colouring have brows that are too arched, too perfect on top. Their faces start to look like plastic. It’s MUCH younger and fresher to groom the undersides only and leave things a bit unkempt (within reason of course) on the top, like here. And also to leave them on the thicker side. Seriously—trust me on this one.

Of course, a post on Kate Middleton would not be complete without a look at the ring, which I’m sure you’ve seen by now… but have you also noticed her manicure?

Kate Middleton engagement ring Newly engaged Kate Middleton has hair (and makeup) that is royally awesome

Again: simple, simple, low-key in what looks like a clear or verrrry pale pink polish. NOT a French manicure, which would be tacky. (Sorry to anyone reading who likes French manicures. I think where I got lost on the French was when people started doing them on their TOES. Non non non.)

When you think about it, though, this shade was really the only option to go with such flashy blue bling. Wouldn’t it look kind of wrong with red, or taupe, or coral… or any actual colour? I do hope it doesn’t become a problem for Kate that her manicure choices are now severely limited.

So tell me…

What do you think of Miss Middleton—is her hair, makeup and manicure suitably regal?
Do you think Diana would approve?
Do you think William needs Whitestrips?

Prince William whitestrips Newly engaged Kate Middleton has hair (and makeup) that is royally awesome

Alana
Wednesday, November 17/2010 at 4:20 pm

I swear you read my mind with this post! I was hoping someone would write about this. Following the whole Kate/William thing is my secret guilty pleasure, and while I think Kate usually gets the ‘I probably look this great when I wake up in the morning’ style vibe right most of the time, I definitely think she deserves bonus points for the engagement look. How fab is her hair? And that dress with that ring? Beautiful, without looking like she really had to try all that hard.

(And, honestly, I was really hoping for a bit of a tutorial, but I too lack the skills some girls have to make their hair look pretty, and thus, you are probably right about a pro blow-dry being the only way to go. Sigh.)

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:32 pm

Glad you agree! :-)
I’ll bet she’s been groomed for this role for YEARS… but yes, something extra special about this particular look.
And you know what? I am going to make a note to get you a hair tutorial for this type of blowout. I’m thinking it will need to be a video one with an actual hairdresser—as while I can do the whole round brush thing, my “finishing” skills (for the smooth, flippy ends and wave over one eye) are sorely lacking. Leave it with me!

Eli aka Negra Cabreada
Wednesday, November 17/2010 at 6:02 pm

She’s gorgeous and very classy, I like her :-)
BTW, from the nose down William just looks like her mom

Eli aka Negra Cabreada
Wednesday, November 17/2010 at 6:04 pm

*his, sorry :-P

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:33 pm

He really does! SUCH a resemblance!

Beauty Reductionista
Wednesday, November 17/2010 at 10:42 pm

I agree — Kate’s overall look is flawless! And yes, William needs a whitestrip or less tea. :)

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:34 pm

Ah yes the tea! That’s gotta be the explanation. You’d think someone would tell the guy about those stained chompers, wow!

Tracy
Wednesday, November 17/2010 at 10:45 pm

He sure needs some Crest Whitestrips!
I think Kate is gorgeous! And that neck of hers-it’s so long and graceful!

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:35 pm

You’re right – she does look graceful! Definitely has that royal star quality.

Cassandra Rae Ferguson
Thursday, November 18/2010 at 1:05 am

Kate is a gorgeous girl and I normally love her style, but I must admit that I didn’t like her makeup on this occasion! I thought that although the eyeliner was really well-applied, it greatly closed-up her eyes. And Will’s foundation is not well-applied – it is quite uneven and does not even reach his lashline (see pic). But, this is the responsibility of their makeup artist; not themselves!

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:40 pm

Yeah I see what you mean about the liner closing in her eyes (I guess that look always does that, doesn’t it?). I’m still a fan though… I think because it maybe would’ve looked too “done” if she went more bold with the eyeshadow. And I think going with the charcoals (I *think* it’s charcoal) picks up the blue of the dress and ring better than, say, browns.

Didn’t notice Will’s foundation but you’re right!

Justine
Monday, September 12/2011 at 3:18 pm

I wore black eyeliner from age 14 to 21 years old. It made me look mature and older which is a plus when you are under aged. Then I switched to charcoal gray because it gave me the same look but softer and it did not age me as much. I also tried brown but it did not look so good with my green eyes and my skin tone that prefers cool colors.
I think Kate could benefit from this tip, she has the same eye and skin color as I do. Similar shape as well. Its a capricorn thing really. I don’t look like her in a lookalike away , more that we share caracteristics from being from the same astrological sign.

Stefanie
Thursday, November 18/2010 at 4:31 am

I think she looks gorgeous!

Just one thing though…can anybody else see her veneers? I don’t know if I’m imagining this but in both pictures, I can see her “real” teeth filed down inside and the translucent veneer on top of it? Does anybody see this?

Eli aka Negra Cabreada
Thursday, November 18/2010 at 9:59 am

I don’t think so, I don’t wear veneers but my teeth seem to be quite thin, as the tips are somewhat translucent. But her teeth look too “perfect”, so who knows…

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:43 pm

I think I see what you mean – you can see a ridge at the bottom 1/3 of her front teeth and underneath that seems more transparent. Does that mean it’s a crappy veneer? Hmmm maybe… I will have to ask my dentist. (And now I’m nervous because I have to get a couple of veneers in the next few weeks. Hope that doesn’t happen to me!!!)

Justine
Monday, September 12/2011 at 3:05 pm

My teath have this kind of discoloration too. Its normal and natural. I think.

Robynn
Monday, August 15/2011 at 1:24 am

I think I can see what you’re talking about. It does look like veneers. Hey, if she can afford them, then why not. I would do that if I could afford them!

ChickAdvisor
Thursday, November 18/2010 at 11:55 am

Okay I just burst out laughing at the very last question! Haha It’s true, it wouldn’t kill William to whiten that smile before the wedding.

I think Kate is a beautiful woman and this look is great. It’s simple but perfectly polished – exactly what one would expect from a soon-to-be Royal. She looks classy and youthful and her shiny hair is lovely!

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:45 pm

SRSLY eh? You would think the royal family would be doing all they can to counter all the bad PR British people get about the state of their teeth!

Meghan
Thursday, November 18/2010 at 2:19 pm

LOL!! I love your comment at the end about William needing whitestrips! I nearly spit out my coffee reading that. I wholeheartedly agree now that you mention it! Kate looks amazing. I don’t follow the Royal’s either, but they’ve been inundating my T.V. with imagery lately so I can’t help but be in the know. She does look amazing. What I want to know is how she maintains her figure! Good lord – the girl looks perfect from head to toe.

Thursday, November 18/2010 at 5:47 pm

Yep get ready to be inundated with everything royal for the next year at least! We’ll be sick of these two in no time I’m sure. But for now I do think she looks the part… really classy and pulled together and as I said, top marks for the hair and makeup!

jemma
Friday, April 29/2011 at 2:08 pm

i dont agree when u said we will be sick of these two in time coz they are a great couple and i will be very happy to see wills who will king be king in time with kate if she is queen i hope she is coz she is a great person and i really like her a lot with wills

Sharon M
Saturday, November 20/2010 at 12:27 am

Kate looks immaculate — even those earrings she has on match the ring and the dress. But I do think a bit of mattifying powder (not too much, and just on the t-zone) would have made the look perfect.

Monday, November 22/2010 at 5:02 pm

You are right! I forgot to mention that. I get super shiny like this in pics too – it’s because the fairer your skin is, the more it reflects the light. Probably she looked perfectly dewy in person… but yes, her makeup artist should’ve had something to tone that down for the photos!

Alana
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 11:15 pm

Now this may or may not be true, but according to an article in the British Daily Mail (see, told you Will & Kate are my secret obsession!), she actually doesn’t have a makeup artist yet and did her makeup herself for that engagement photo call. Her hairdresser is very posh and she probably paid a gazillion dollars for her gorgeously perfect blow-out, but apparently the makeup is her own handiwork!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 7:07 pm

Get out of here – really? I am blown away… I mean, I write about this stuff and yet I know I would fail miserably. I must start paying closer attention to Kate immediately.

Larissa
Sunday, November 28/2010 at 2:56 pm

Her eyes look incredible! That eyeliner just makes her eyes pop! I love her whole look, so elegant and pretty!

abby
Friday, December 24/2010 at 1:32 pm

thanks for this article..i have not been following the royals even when kate and wills started dating..but when the engagement came out i was so totally stunned at how beautiful kate is…i have not been following only how these two started their love and all the details but i am also researching as to how she got her hair and make up done…extremely simple and immaculate!!! i am trying secretly how i can at least get close to the hairstyle and make up..i know i wont be able to look like kate but i am so obssessed to copy her looks and style….and honestly, thanks for this awesome article..i am glad i got here , very direct and makes sense…thanks to you!

Saturday, January 1/2011 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for reading Abby! I want to do a Kate Middleton hair tutorial soon… so obsessed. Stay tuned!

Jessica
Thursday, January 27/2011 at 9:54 pm

I like everyones comments. i personally think she defines how a lady should carry herself. that blue dress was perfect. her heels. her makeup even though a bit shiny her skin is so pretty. she is my age and im so happy for her. she is glowing and i cant wait for the wedding. when diana passed i stood up just to watch. cant wait for the wedding im going to cry for sure (nowadays anything beautiful like weddings and new babies makes me cry)

Sharon Danley
Sunday, February 13/2011 at 10:48 pm

She’s gorgeous, has a great overall look and demeanor and I believe Diana would have welcomed her with open arms. But I have to disagree about a couple of things from a professional perspective.

Her brows could be groomed better – it always bothered me that Diana’s were much the same way, but maybe that’s the draw for William. And I’m not talking razor sharp lines, but her eyes would look even better with the top of the brow hair evened out and groomed up and outward lifting the eye in a subtle way.

Her lashes could have been groomed a bit more too giving them more of a natural fullness. Getting picky I know, but as many brides will be aspiring to the “princess Kate” look, she does set the tone.

Her bottom liner is the same weight as the top which is so not a natural look. Lashes on the bottom of the eye are much lighter in weight so the liner should be too.

Her skin is simply too shiny for photos, but with photoshop all will be fixed for professional official photos of the occasion – much like the offical picture in her off white dress where her skin and brows are wonderful.

I’m sure she’ll be wearing her lovely locks up to go with the elegance of the occasion and to avoid constant grooming that long hair requires.

Overall, I am looking forward to seeing the wedding and what she decides to wear from the dress, tiara, veil, makeup and hair. Congratulations Kate – well done.

jonsey
Tuesday, April 12/2011 at 5:57 am

I have to protray the role of Kate Middleton on Good Friday at the Guildhall….could you maybe add a tutorial on Kate’s make-up in more detail, ie; what she wears on her eyes and what blush she wears on her face and cheeks?

thankyou !

Sharon Danley
Friday, April 29/2011 at 10:39 pm

Apologies I just received this notification and too late for Good Friday, but here are some tips.

1. Medium gray eyeshadow on lid only
2. Eyeliner both top and bottom (which I don’t agree with) but that’s how she wears it.
3. Curled and mascarred lashes – upper and lower.
4. Groomed and full brows
5. Apply gel blush to apple of the cheek. Use some bronzer sparingly.
6. Soft lip colour with gloss (pink).
7. And of course long and nicely groomed hair.

Good luck – let me know if this works for you.

Sharon Danley,
Master Artist

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 4:10 pm

Hi Jonsey, sorry I missed this earlier! Unfortunately I haven’t been able to uncover anything specific about what exact products Kate uses although I hear for her wedding day it was Bobbi Brown (some people are also saying Lancome). Did you see this post? http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/04/29/its-the-royal-wedding-beauty-scoop-find-out-kate-middletons-secrets-for-makeup-hair-skin-and-nails/

Sharon’s points below are great (thank you Sharon) – I hope that helps!

liza
Saturday, April 30/2011 at 1:05 pm

She is lovely, but I don’t know why she insists on the bottom lid eyeliner- yes it does close her eyes in, and reminds me of the look that Junior high girls have when they first start wearing makeup and they over do it.

Celia Cox
Friday, June 17/2011 at 9:17 pm

I live in Canada (born in the UK). I stubbled upon this page/site, reading about hair and just love all the comments and related topics.Please keep me posted. We’re all looking forward to the Royals visiting us here, in Canada, very soon!! I’ll keep you posted. How wonderful is it that we now have Kate, her energy, obvious love for her husband, and killer style!!