Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T-Swizzle and RiRi, I’m not sure I approve

Taylor Swift 2010 AMAs bangs straight hair

Taylor Swift reads here. (No? Okay, maybe I’m mixing her up with Jessica Alba. No really. Somewhat inexplicably, she followed me on Twitter.) Anyway, I am almost certain that somebody alerted Taylor to my post the other day about how she’s in a beauty rut and I wish to see her in straight hair and less makeup immediately.

So the makeup thing might take a while—fine, I can live with that. But at the American Music Awards the other night, lo and behold, the T-Swizzle turned up with not only the straight hair of my dreams (because people with naturally straight hair can never get this much body) but also eye-grazing bangs.

It’s a little bit ’60s, a little bit like a cross between Brigitte Bardot and Jean Shrimpton… and I adore it. Please, Taylor, PLEASE keep this look. Or at least wear it once for every three of your favourite side-parted, curly-haired, heavy-eyeliner and red lip outings.

Tayls wasn’t the only celeb whose hair I admired at the AMAs. In a bizarre twist—because until now, I would never have dreamed of endorsing burgundy hair or a halo of curls, especially not TOGETHER—I am giving Rihanna props for her ‘do:

Rihanna 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

I suppose it’s not a huge leap to say that I like this much, much better than the flaming red hair and Three Stooges-style undercut that she was sporting back in the spring.

But really? I do think this is an awesome, modern look. The curls are not too tight and just the right shape, with the volume correctly tapering down at the ends. Because you know the “halo” is a tricky one: just one false move and you’re into Richard Simmons territory.

And the colour—which is surprisingly flattering with her skin tone—says “I’m a pop star!” without being too outrageous. (Note: the green eyeshadow is a nice touch. I bow down to you, RiRi, I really do.)

As for the other celebs who debuted changes in hair style or colour or both at the AMAs—I wasn’t so impressed.

You will know if you read my tribute to Mandy Moore’s many excellent hair transformations that I am usually a major, major fan of her hair. But this ashy hue left me truly on the fence:

Mandy Moore 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

Now, hear me out: it’s still very pretty on her. And I’ve been hearing inklings that ashy tones are sort of a new thing in hair colourist circles. (Jessica Biel recently went ashy, and when I was in for my Ombré, the boyz at Hair on the Avenue were cooing about it.)

But I can’t help it. As I mentioned in this piece about choosing the right hair colour, I just like warmer tones. At least for people with skin tones like Mandy’s (and mine), who can go either way. Apparently one of the things that happens as you get older—along with other fun stuff like wrinkles and saggy knees—is that your hair gets more and more ashy. So a warmer tone should immediately make you look a little bit younger, brighter, glow-ier. (Not to mention that ashy is synonymous with mousy which is synonymous with BO-RING.)

See how Mandy’s skin seems a bit washed out here? I rest my case.

Now let’s talk about Miley Cyrus, who to me always looks like a little kid playing dress-up, and who has decided, against my advice, to put her extensions back in:

Miley Cyrus 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

Technically, there is no real problem here. Despite the fact that we all know these are extensions, her hair actually looks to be in pretty great condition: silky-soft, pretty colour and those Hollywood-style dropped-out waves.

I just don’t think it’s particularly stylish is all.

I mean, at least Lauren Conrad—another extensions addict—has a beautiful Ombré colour (although I think she just went even darker, which I also approve of). Miley is kind of stuck in 2005. I long for something a bit grittier, a bit edgier, a little less grown-up and “perfect.” Know what I mean?

Speaking of LC, here’s Whitney Port, whose hair (and makeup) is making her look 25 going-on 35… or even 45…

Whitney Port 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

Overall this look says to me: “I didn’t wash my hair today and I also applied my makeup eight hours ago.”

Right? There’s just something about it that’s not very fresh. Perhaps the colour is also to blame—I really prefer Whitney as a brighter blonde. Also, there is something to be said for not veering too far away from your personal style. I love Whit when she channels a more Boho California vibe, with her hair down and not too polished. This isn’t working for me.

And then we have yet another in the long list of celebs who do not listen to my beauty advice (which makes me love Taylor all the more). Kelly Osbourne, on the heels of my praise for her feature-flattering blonde colour (complete with cute hairband and red lippie) walked the red carpet with this abomination:

Kelly Osbourne 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

What on earth…?

Seriously, this is like 1990s TV anchorwoman hair times one thousand. I get that you want volume and body and texture, Kelly, but please—not like this. Also: the layers. You have too many. Not modern at all, dude.

And last of all, we have Kesha—or is it Ke$ha—who, let’s face it, is permanently on my Beauty Don’t list.

Kesha 2010 AMAs Celebs have been changing their hair again—and with the exception of T Swizzle and RiRi, Im not sure I approve

It is too bad that this happened after Halloween, no? (And quick comment on the blue lips: apparently they are ALSO a thing. I spotted some at a party the other night. Beauty trends never cease to amaze.)

So—

Did you watch the AMAs?
Are you as pleased with Taylor’s new hair as I am?
What about the others—do you love? Do you hate? Wish you could get at them with a flat iron, scissors or box of hair dye?

Anya
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 1:56 pm

I LOVE Taylor’s hair. Everyone else: major FAIL!

Kelly Osbourne looks like demented version of Loni Anderson circa WKRP.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 5:53 pm

I love the WKRP reference – TOTALLY!

Gimped
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 2:01 pm

I LOVE Taylor’s new look!! The bang sold me on it. Without the bangs it’s too boring, but with the bang it’s so chic!! She actually looks older … but in that “I need to grow up” kind of way, not the “bring on the wrinkle cream” way :)

RiRi: sorry, Michelle, but I have to disagree with you. I’m not a fan of this look at all. I really like Rihanna when she rocked the shorter pixie-like cuts and the bob.

Mandy Moore: I think this would look a lot nicer if she had more colour on her face. I actually really like the hair colour …

Miley: poor Miley. She needs a makeover BAD! And did you see what she was wearing during her performance?? Think Stevie Nicks. Ew.

Whitney: I agree with you on this one. At least have a few pieces in the front and not pull the whole ‘do back. It would have softened the look a bit, and maybe disguised the brown disaster — hello, you have a gap!!

Kelly: I absolutely LOVE her as a blond … but hate this style. Def too much hair happening here. Less layers. Less volume. Let the hair shape the face more I say.

And Ke$ha … well she’s just a hot mess. There’s no hope for her. Ever.

Oh and my apologies if the HTML attempt in this comment fails :)

Monday, November 29/2010 at 5:56 pm

I hear you re: RiRi… I think she’s prettiest with that dark brown bob. But since she’s now such a mega-star I guess I feel like her hair has to be a bit more “out there” to go with. Anyway I’m liking the curls a lot better than the other stuff she’s been doing lately :-)

Agree re: Mandy, maybe some blush/lipstick would really help. She is so pretty – one of my faves.

Anita Matte
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 2:20 pm

I love, love Taylor’s hair! I think it looks great.
Have to disagree with you on Rihanna – I hate her curly hair. I also hate it straight and red…

Monday, November 29/2010 at 5:57 pm

I saw the straight version of Rihanna’s new colour and I’m with you there – not good!

Nicole
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 3:29 pm

Straight + bangs is definitely nice on Taylor. I actually can’t stand her normal curls. Not that they don’t look good, I’m just so over it. I do love the red on Rihanna. I’m a huge fan of reds anyways even when they aren’t a natural red :P I’m not such a fan of the curls she’s sporting here. This is a little too disco era, nobody puts baby in a corner for me. Not really liking the rest of them either, I think you’re pretty spot on with your comments.

Gimped
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 3:39 pm

Nice Dirty Dancing reference!! Now that you mention it, it TOTALLY looks like Baby!! :)

Monday, November 29/2010 at 5:58 pm

The curls are very Dirty Dancing, you’re right! But I understand…not to everyone’s taste. :-)

I love how happy the world is that Taylor ditched the curls for once.

skybluesky
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 10:12 pm

Love T. Swift’s straight hair! Now, if only she would mix it up further by going easier on the mascara and eyeliner…

Nah, that’s too much to ask for!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 5:59 pm

Baby steps, Skybluesky!

Rebecca
Tuesday, November 23/2010 at 11:22 pm

Taylor’s wearing a wig. Trust me.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:01 pm

Oh dear – but I think you’re on to something there! http://www.styleite.com/stylegasm/taylor-swift-straight-hair-ama/

If it IS a wig, it’s a pretty good one.

Beauty Reductionista
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 12:41 am

LOL – I was totally guilty of a Whitney Port style today! If Swifty did indeed take your advice, this is an epic win!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:03 pm

Oh I would be overjoyed if I thought Taylor read here… I think she probably could no longer ignore the millions of people begging for her to change her hair for once!

I’ve done the Whitney hair fail too, many times… I don’t always practice what I preach :-)

Kat
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 1:01 am

Wow.. I can’t stop ranting about Whitney port in my head. At first I thought this look was fit for a 1990′s prom queen, but then I realized that there was no way even a ’90s beauty would wear pink shadow on those horribly baggy eyes.. Thank god for Ke$ha, who pulled me out of the ’90s and straight into laughter-land!

And double-wow!! Taylor Swift oh-my-god! She really did listen to you, whether she knows it or not! lol The hair, the pale rosy lip, even the dress is way outside her typical comfort-zone! The look is so french, she looks absolutely stunning!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:06 pm

That’s what it is – Whitney looks ’90s! I have to say, I really do not like pink eyeshadow ever. (Or that peach colour Blake Lively seems to be addicted to lately, for that matter: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/25/kate-bosworth-is-a-great-wearer-of-eyeshadow-and-well-makeup-in-general-blake-lively-is-most-definitely-not/)

I would love to see Taylor’s hair like this for day, just without all the eyeliner. Would be so pretty!

Janelle
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 12:52 pm

ohhhhh not only do I love Taylor’s hair, but her colour is FABULOUS! It looks like a totally different colour when her hair is straight. mmmm I want.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:07 pm

Maybe because it’s a wig – I haven’t been able to suss that out yet. Me want too!

Chelsea
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 3:01 pm

I recently saw a picture of Rihanna in US Mag. and her hair was quite short, which makes me wonder, was that a wig she was wearing at the AMA’s or extensions? Regardless, it was very flattering on her. And Taylor Swift! What a transformation. She must have read your post. Ha Ha. I was very surprised at how grown up Miley C. looked. Even her song was very grown-up sounding. I actually thought she was trying to be like Stevie Nicks (circa 1970′s). The AMA’s were good except for the boy band dual at the end. They sounded so bad! It’s time to re-hang up their touring shoes. ;~}

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:10 pm

Rihanna’s is definitely a weave.
As for Miley channeling Stevie Nicks – please no!! Yikes.

ChickAdvisor
Wednesday, November 24/2010 at 4:58 pm

I admit that the second I saw Taylor Swift I thought of your post from the other day! She looked fantastic but still older than she is.

And as for Kesha…there are no words.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:11 pm

I know—I still can’t believe the blue lips became an actual trend! You just never know what’s going to float people’s boats.

makeup morsels
Sunday, November 28/2010 at 5:46 pm

Ok, there are a lot of things I would like to say about the pictures toward the end of this post. But I will restrain myself.
I LOVE Taylor Swift’s hair. She looks amazing…definitely should change it up more often.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:12 pm

Pretty shocking all of that was on display at just one awards show, isn’t it? Ha!

Aurora
Tuesday, December 13/2011 at 6:28 am

I’m a huge fan of red hair! Really like the way Rihanna’s looking now! I dyed my hair dark red too last summer and I’ve got curls of myself just like Rihanna’s on that picture. I’m thinking about dying my hair red too now I saw Rihanna’s cut… I really like it! But I do have to cut mu long hair then though… Still doubting cause I just grew my hair long since a couple of years. THOUGH I LIKE ITTTT !