Kate Bosworth November 2010 makeup updo

Two actresses. Both blondes. Both blue-eyed. (Sort of*.) Both gorgeous… obviously.

One is 27 years old—and generally looks fresh and lovely and age-appropriate (if not a little on the skinny side). *And only one of her eyes is blue; the other is brown—did you know?

The other is just 23, but is, in my humble beauty opinion, doing verrry questionable things with her eyeshadow that are adding years and years and years.

Shall we discuss?

First, let’s take a moment to appreciate the makeup, above, on Kate Bosworth. No, I’m not down with her skanky dating ways and I really do wish the girl would eat a cheeseburger now and then, but you have to admit that at least from the neck up, she looks damn good. And since we are talking mostly about eyeshadow today, notice how hers is the way eyeshadow SHOULD BE.

As in: you don’t see the eyeshadow; you see the eyes. (And lashes.) From what I can tell, all the makeup artist did was sweep a bit of a pale (the pale part is very important) pinky/peachy colour across the lids, and then emphasized the area around the eyes with a darker taupe shade. Nothing crazy, nothing too creative, but it works. This is how it is done.

Compare and contrast with Boobs Legsly I mean Blake Lively:

Blake Lively Nov 2010 Kate Bosworth is a great wearer of eyeshadow (and, well, makeup in general); Blake Lively is most definitely NOT

Seriously, what is UP with the peach eyeshadow painted ALL THE WAY from the lash line to the eyebrows?

Am I the only one bothered by this?

She is a repeat offender, too—the peach tones are definitely a recurring theme with our Blakey:

Blake Lively eyeshadow Nov 2010 Kate Bosworth is a great wearer of eyeshadow (and, well, makeup in general); Blake Lively is most definitely NOT

And worst of all, remember this one? A coppery disaster:

Blake Lively orange makeup Kate Bosworth is a great wearer of eyeshadow (and, well, makeup in general); Blake Lively is most definitely NOT

I realize that Blake’s makeup artist is probably trying to make her eyes look bigger, since (like me) she has quite heavy lids. But I firmly believe they are going about this the wrong way.

What would be better would be to stick with emphasizing the lash line, and lashes, instead of all the theatrics on the lids. Comme ça:

Kate Bosworth Chanel dinner Kate Bosworth is a great wearer of eyeshadow (and, well, makeup in general); Blake Lively is most definitely NOT

OR, if visible eyeshadow had to be worn, at least she could go for a more subtle (i.e. taupey brown) colour, like Kate did here:

Kate Bosworth Met gala Kate Bosworth is a great wearer of eyeshadow (and, well, makeup in general); Blake Lively is most definitely NOT

What do you think?

Do you agree that Blake kinda sux with the eyeshadow application and colour selection?
What do you think of Kate Bosworth’s makeup skillz?
Which one is your favourite? (My vote goes to the Kate pic at the very top… so elegant and gorgeous… and as a blush addict, I die!)

Lindsay
Thursday, November 25/2010 at 5:05 pm

I think Kate has marvelous cheekbones.

(I realize that is not at all helpful to your eyeshadow debate.)

Thursday, November 25/2010 at 5:08 pm

She does! Maybe that’s what makes her makeup look better.
I’ll bet she is scary skinny in real life though.

Janine
Friday, November 26/2010 at 4:58 pm

I just want to “Like” Lindsay’s comment. The “not at all helpful” part made me laugh.

Marina(Makeup4All)
Thursday, November 25/2010 at 5:08 pm

I agree that Kate Bosworth looks great and her makeup is gorgeous most of the time! I was told (by one MUA) that Kate really has a flawless skin and it’s a pleasure to work with her.

Thursday, November 25/2010 at 5:09 pm

Yes! Before I re-sized these pics to post here, I saw them magnified x300% or more… it is true, not a pore or blemish or discolouration to be seen.
Tres jealouse.

Skybluesky
Thursday, November 25/2010 at 7:14 pm

The way Blake’s eyeshadow is done is so…80s. It’s like what a lot of women at makeup counters try to do to me–color my entire eyelid (beyond the crease and to my eyebrow). Different techniques have to be done for different people with different eye shapes!!! I can’t stress that enough.

The shade in the first picture of Kate Bosworth (shimmery pink..ish) reminds of Urban Decay’s eyeshadow in scratch. Sooo pretty. Such a nice texture…I am usually partial to Bobbi Brown or NARS eyeshadows, but UD’s eyeshadows are excellent.

Kate Bosworth is way too pretty. I agree, though, her weight when she started out in hollywood made her look so much prettier. Now she could eat four cheeseburgers in one sitting and it still wouldn’t make a difference. Her face is gorgeous, though, and her nose job is good! (She definitely has had one).

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:25 pm

I’ve had the same thing done to my eyes by department store makeup counter people! (No offense against them as a group but wow… some of them are doing a “one eye makeup technique fits all” thing and it does not work when your eyes don’t have a crease, like mine… and Blake’s… and probably yours too right?)

I must try more UD stuff – I have some of their new products but so far have only tried the eye primers.

Just Googled “Kate Bosworth nose job” and I think you are right. http://plasticsurgerydoctors.blogspot.com/2010/07/kate-bosworth-plastic-surgery.html

elise
Thursday, November 25/2010 at 7:50 pm

AGREED! It’s not only Blake Lively’s eyeshadow that bothers me though..her hair is really starting to confuse me. There is just something about the part in her hair that is SO harsh looking when she has it all pulled back. Love Kate and I’m obsessed with blush too! The first picture of her is definitely my favourite.

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, I think Blake looks best with her hair down. It’s her best feature really. Waaay too harsh when it’s all pulled back so tight to the head.

Ashley
Thursday, November 25/2010 at 10:14 pm

So right! Peach you would think would be alright on Blake with her coloring, but no eyeshadow is ment to be worn up to your eyebrows! (colors i mean, highlight is an exception). And the shimmers just arent right, things are shimmering too much others not enough… Her look in general has just gotten to harsh lately, she has gone too high fashion or is that just me? What happened to the california style long gorge swingy hair and cute dresses/shorts that everyone was coveting (including myself) like two minutes ago? Downhill big time, over processed dull sticks pulled into various harsh styles, sallow skin… just sooo sad. with a bod like that jeezz… rant over

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:29 pm

I don’t even think the highlight under the eyebrow is a good thing to do anymore. (I know I just posted a vid of Carmindy recommending that, but 2 other more “editorial” makeup artists have recently mentioned that it’s a bit dated now to do it…) And yes, shimmer is def going the way of the dodo bird.

I read a blind item a little while back and I am now almost positive it was about Blakey. Basically that she is trying REALLY hard to become a serious actress now (there was some Harvey Weinstein rumour as well) and I think that would explain all of the weird fashion/beauty choices.

rachel
Friday, November 26/2010 at 5:09 am

i dont understand how some people get famous sometimes, blake has a great body and all but something is off about her face not just the bad makeup choices but she doesnt seem like a hollywood star compared to kate bosworth, kate is simple and yet still looks glamorous. Blake looks like shes trying to hard (and dare i say she can hardly act on gossip girl she has the same expressions and same old storyline, the other actors steal the show)

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:31 pm

Yes, Kate has the movie star bone structure. I am sure both have had a little help from plastic surgeons but Kate wins for sure.

Definitely agree that Blake is trying too hard lately.

Kamila
Friday, November 26/2010 at 12:10 pm

Kate’s makeup shows off her features so well instead of screaming that she’s wearing, well, tons of makeup. Blake’s on the other hand is much too “done”. I’m not sure it has to do with age (though good makeup makes you look young and all) as with facial features and structure. Some women look amazing with dramatic makeup – Leighton Meester generally pulls it off well – while for others, a more “natural” look is flattering.
I commiserate with Blake (or rather, her makeup artist)- I have heavily hooded eyes too, so much so that I often skip shadow and liner (which you can’t see anyway unless I close my eyes) and just stick with mascara instead. Long curly lashes open up my eyes like nothing else and I think that simple trick would work on Blake’s eyes too. Plus I like to think that I gain a few minutes of sleep in the morning :)

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:35 pm

Agree – it all comes down to bone structure. I have the same eye shape too and it IS frustrating – makeup just seems to “disappear” into your eye crease doesn’t it? You are right, mascara is our friend. I also love tightlining with a waterproof eyeliner all the way around the eye. Oh and I swear by Dior’s waterproof cream eyeshadow in the nude colour… I apply it just up to the crease and it’s the only one that doesn’t crease on me.

Mellyjo
Friday, November 26/2010 at 1:18 pm

in these pics at least, it looks to me like Kate has no eyeshadow on! she’s naturally beauty-ful.

I actually like Blake’s copper palette, although I agree that the peach shadow would be improved by not going all the way up!

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:37 pm

And that’s the way it should be, right? :-) I love dramatic eyeshadow on the runway but in real life it’s better to just notice the eyes. Kate’s makeup artist is very good.

Meghan
Friday, November 26/2010 at 5:29 pm

Hmmmm. Yes, Blake’s makeup does look a little amateur. I get what they’re trying to do. A lot of people think that to make blue eyes pop you reach for peach/orange eye shadow. The problem is that you need to take care to choose tones that are appropriate for your skin. It seems like the color is too bright and warm for Blake. To my eyes it just seems to clash with her skin and make her look sick rather than make her eyes pop. I’d love to see how she’d look with a cooler color palette. I looked for an image of makeup that is very similar to what she’s wearing, but in a cooler tone. Check it out: (scroll down and there is a picture on the left that I’m referring to)

Thoughts??

Thursday, December 2/2010 at 4:03 pm

YES! Definitely that makeup would look better – the colour isn’t so in your face like Blake’s orange. Nice sleuthing Meghan!
I’ve personally never really been able to master the whole orange shadow-blue eyes thing that people recommend. I agree that opposites can look great – say, green eyes with purple shadow. But oranges are trickier. (Even though I love how they were worn here—totally forgot about this post: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/17/new-york-ss-11-orange-eyelids-should-look-wrong-but-are-suddenly-so-right/)
Maybe THAT’s what Blake is trying to copy. But some things only look good on models…

Diana
Friday, November 26/2010 at 9:48 pm

Along with the peachy shade from lid to brow, the mistake she (or her makeup artist) is making is not defining the brows which creates the illusion of a more brooding, heavy eye.
A defined brow and taupe matte shade from crease to brow would recede her hooded eye. Adding a shimmer to the lid with lots of lashes would go a long way to create a classic ‘simple’ eye.

Thursday, December 2/2010 at 4:06 pm

Oh my gosh so honoured to see your comment on my blog! Everybody – listen to Diana because she is an AMAZING makeup artist and knows everything there is to know about makeup :-)

Great point about Blake’s brows… besides the orange disaster there is always something else that bothers me about her look that I can’t put my finger on – and it’s the BROWS! Yes.

And I love your recommendation of the taupe to create depth and then shimmer on the lid. Please do this Blake.

Diana Carreiro
Friday, December 3/2010 at 11:43 am

LOL! You’re too funny! I’m here all the time. I just never have much to say as you pretty much cover it all. :)

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:17 pm

Oh you are too kind Diana! Love ya!

Nicole
Sunday, November 28/2010 at 1:43 am

I’m sorry, I thought I was reading “Beauty Editor”… not a gossip website… oh… wait…

“Skanky dating”, “eat a cheeseburger”… really?! Yes, Kate Bosworth did get quite thin a while back, but as a naturally thin person myself, stress takes off 10 to 20 pounds in no time, and can we really sit back and claim to know what was going on in her life at that particular point in time?! I wonder when the day will come when it will be considered just as rude to remark on a thin person’s physique as a larger person’s?

I have to say, I’ve never been put off by this site, and it’s readers, but right now… absolutely disgusted.

Raquel
Sunday, November 28/2010 at 4:23 pm

Well, I’m not really aware of Kate’s weight, but you’re right at one thing, I get mad when people comment on how skinny I am, especially older people. I bet they wouldn’t love to get a “thanks, and you look like a baby wale” back! I mean, I’m perfectly healthy (my doctor says I’m gonna live till I’m 200 years old, hmm sure hope not) so I don’t see what’s wrong with been thin!

Oh, and if Kate’s skin is amazing, I’m sure she is eating right, no miracle cream on earth can save someone’s skin if they are starving…

Thursday, December 2/2010 at 4:29 pm

That’s true about her skin – you can definitely see how people like Carol Alt (http://www.stylelist.com/2010/11/30/carol-alt-raw-essentials/) and Alica Silverstone (http://letthemeatmeat.com/post/172124681/i-met-alicia-silverstone-in-the-summer-of-2002) look malnourished from their diets.

Oh and I would never say or even think stuff like this with people I know in real life! You’re lucky to be thin – people who comment on it to you are probably just jealous :-)

Thursday, December 2/2010 at 4:24 pm

Oh Nicole – I’m sorry you were offended. You must not read Lainey Gossip! Kate is definitely not someone to look up to in terms of her dating habits – it was pretty widely reported that she hooked up with Chris Martin, who is married to Gwyneth Paltrow, and also cheated on Alexander Skarsgard. Sorry but that’s skanky in my book!

As for her weight – well yes, I do still think she’s frightfully thin. No, I don’t know what is going on in her life but since Hollywood is well-known for encouraging actresses to out-starve eachother, I have to question if it’s because of stress (as in your case) or deliberate. Sorry but eating disorders are a really big problem… I’m not saying Kate has one (although I wouldn’t be surprised), but I don’t think we should make excuses when people look close to starvation: http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/categories/eating-disorders/

Anyway, she’s definitely gained a bit from when she was at her thinnest a few years ago – but I still thought she looked the healthiest in her Blue Crush days. Just hope more of these girls take a page from Christina Hendricks’ book…

Samantha
Saturday, July 23/2011 at 5:54 am

I actually don’t think she looks that bad. she looks good no matter what makeup she’s wearing.

Elliott
Tuesday, November 22/2011 at 11:34 am

Kate is wearing quite mask-y foundation in the first photo, and Blake’s is heavy as well in her third photo. Attractive. Women need to just quit wearing cake makeup all together and just stick with eye and lip makeup, blusher is okay too.

Again, in the first photo I can easily tell where Kate’s foundation begins and ends. There is an obvious difference between the skin on her chin and the bare skin on her neck, but I think the most obvious telltale sign is near her hairline.

Liz
Tuesday, March 26/2013 at 6:35 pm

I honestly think Blake’s eyeshadow looks nice, and her eyes too! I agree that her eyebrows could be better though.

cc
Friday, May 2/2014 at 11:59 pm

i can’t see any eyeshadow… their eyes are open and their lids are small. i don’t really understand eyeshadow unless it’s coming out to the sides or you’re walking around with your eyes closed.