Video: Carmindy from What Not To Wear tells us how to “Carmindize” our faces (really—she said that)

Carmindy

Carmindy, in real life, is really not that much different from the Carmindy we see on the TV show What Not To Wear. I met her when she was in Toronto about a month or so back to promote her new makeup line (more on that in a sec), and she looks exactly the same as she does on TV: very pretty, and surprisingly, not overly Botox-ed like I was expecting. (She is also super, super polished in her way of speaking and instead of letting me ask my interview questions, simply launched into a Vanna White-style presentation. I suppose that is what you get when you’ve been doing TV since 2003.)

Carmindy is also the only person I’ve ever interviewed who has referred to herself in the third person. There was much talk of “Carmindizing” your face with makeup. Which apparently we ALL should be doing.

Don’t laugh. There is much wisdom behind this. Watch the vid to find out more:

I definitely agree with her on this highlighting and contouring business. In the past few seasons, there’s been a lot of talk about a “sculpted face” coming back into fashion—but I just can’t see that really happening in real life. Sure, I know a lot of people love their bronzer, but not many of us are up for artfully trying to shade ourselves a thinner nose or tighter jaw line. Right? At least I hope not.

It’s so much easier, and more flattering, to bring light to the face instead of darkness. (And may I add that I’ve been talking up the inner eye thing for ages now? Best. Tip. Ever.)

As for the new makeup collection, Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy, it’s available now at The Shopping Channel and includes lots more stuff than I showed in the video (such as eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss). However, here are MY personal favourites:

Your Skin Makeup ($19)

carmindy your skin makeup Video: Carmindy from What Not To Wear tells us how to Carmindize our faces (really—she said that)

Paraben-free, no icky makeup-y smell (which is a pet peeve of mine) and felt completely lightweight on my skin when I blended with a foundation brush. Really, really great.

Fast Fix Concealer ($12)

Carmindy brightener Video: Carmindy from What Not To Wear tells us how to Carmindize our faces (really—she said that)

This looks pink here but in reality is not—just a really good, blendable and non-cakey concealer. A close dupe to my fave Nvey Eco one…wow!

Sheerest Cream Blush ($14)

Carmindy Sheerest Cream Blush 300x300 Video: Carmindy from What Not To Wear tells us how to Carmindize our faces (really—she said that)I love a cream blush (they go better with the dewy, natural skin that I told you was in style right now) and this one is nicely translucent and natural-looking.

Last thing: As much as she talks up the primer in the vid, I really don’t like it—WAY, WAY too much sparkle than anyone could reasonably need. And the eye primer simply does not work.

Second last thing: Don’t be confused that the word “natural” in the product name means that they are actually natural (organic, eco-friendly, etc.) products. They are not. While they do contain some minerals and botanical ingredients, the term is being used here more to imply a simplified, “you only better” way of approaching beauty—make sense?

Are you a Carmindy fan?
Think you might check out her line? All in all, it’s pretty good.
Do you highlight? Please don’t tell me that you contour.

Janine
Friday, November 26/2010 at 4:43 pm

Have you tried her Forever Stay pencil liners? They’re aces; Carmindy took inspiration from Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes pencils, successfully. Super creamy and definitely stay put even for oily-lidded types like me. My favourite is the green — makes my hazel eyes look more golden!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:29 pm

Oooh thanks for the tip—I didn’t try because my sample is in green and I never wear eyeliner in that colour. (Mental block maybe but never thought green looked as good w/my colouring.) Will try though… always on the hunt for a liner that doesn’t melt away!

Janine
Friday, November 26/2010 at 4:46 pm

Also, Staff has a thing or two to learn about video from you, lady. Nicely done!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:30 pm

All iMovie!

Jane
Friday, November 26/2010 at 4:50 pm

I really like her positivity and being all about bringing light to our faces vs the dark contouring. Great idea and so true. Sheer lips and blush sound lovely too. However I know Carmindy likes a little more shimmer and shine to her looks than I do so I’m not surprised the primer is over the top. Oily over 40 skin does not need shimmer. But I’ll take a glow anytime anywhere. Want to investigate her cream blush for sure!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:31 pm

I didn’t know that about her (re: shimmer), I guess I don’t watch the show enough. But shimmer is so NOT where it’s at right now in terms of the look for skin (and really ALL makeup) so I was shocked/disappointed in the primer. The blush thankfully is not shimmery!

Skybluesky
Friday, November 26/2010 at 11:31 pm

I really like her look, but her philosophy was a bit too much. I totally agree with the not contouring thing, though…I’m not skilled enough to do it, and I’m definitely fine with that. It also goes against the no-makeup look I’ve been so fond of lately; makes it easier to pull off bright lips! Sometimes I’ll highlight! Under my brow bone and on top of my cheek bones. The corners of my eyes are kinda flat because I’m Asian, so it requires some time and dexterity…usually don’t do it because I am lazy like that.

Love my cream blushes!

By the way, Michelle, forgot what thread we had this on, but about the talc thing…I remember my doctor telling me that people are split on the talc thing (it’s like soy…some people are saying it’s bad for you, others say it’s good for you). BUT for talc, there’s no one saying it’s good for you. It’s more like people are split on whether it’s bad or neutral for you. In his experience, he’s seen a lot of patients who use mineral makeup (contains a lot of talc as well as other crap…like bismuth oxide) and they’ve developed cosmetic acne in reaction to it. I’m dark-skinned and I find it one of the reasons why mineral makeup gives me a whitish cast and photographs awfully. I don’t use it as an extra precaution against acne. I have some friends who love Bare Minerals but…they don’t have good skin…so I think that’s the deciding factor for me to not use it.

I hope no one takes offense at this! BM also made my face itchy.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:42 pm

Just did an interesting interview with Gordon Espinet from M.A.C today (he’s their VP of makeup artistry and a freakin’ genius) and got some more info on the whole idea of contouring/highlighting. Once I digest the info I’ll do a post on it but he had some cool ideas… they’re different to Carmindy’s.

Oh and speaking of highlighting – have also been hearing that the under-the-eyebrow thing is not good anymore (am hearing that it’s looking a bit “dated”) so just something to consider… probably fine as long as it’s subtle.

And thx for the info on talc! Yeah not sounding like something I want to use. I’d rather get a completely pure mineral makeup like the ones from Jane Iredale.

Which it’s actually looking like I might need to do, by the way! I think I’ve given myself a case of perioral dermatitis from the Oil Cleansing Method. I thought it was the olive oil making me break out but I am now convinced it’s some kind of allergic reaction because I have what looks like a cross between a rash, acne and eczema… yikes! Am trying to clear it up with Apple Cider Vinegar (apparently it’s supposed to work at least as well if not better than the creams/antibiotics you can get from the derm) so will post about it when I figure this out. Giving it a few days and if it doesn’t get better I’ll have to get something by prescription.

That’s what I get for making myself a guinea pig!

Jenna
Saturday, May 21/2011 at 3:37 am

Sorry, I know this is old, but I saw you mention ACV as a natural option for clearing up skin – I find it really good, but first got onto it as a recommendation to use on my hair instead of conditioner. You just use a tablespoon or two in a litre of water as the last rinse on your hair, and it makes it shiny, smooth, and calms any scalp irritations. Does the same on your skin on your face and body. How did you find it?

Friday, July 29/2011 at 5:11 pm

Yes have heard great things about ACV as a hair rinse – my colourist actually recommended it. (Rene Furterer makes a pricey salon version.)

It stopped using it on my face though as it was a bit too harsh on my sensitive skin (story of my life). Ended up having to go on antibiotics to clear up that stupid OCM reaction. NEVER AGAIN! :-)

Jenna
Saturday, July 30/2011 at 5:33 pm

Oh no! Thats horrible! The last thing you need in the heat at the moment! I hope it clears up soon!

Saturday, July 30/2011 at 7:42 pm

Oh that was about 6 months ago!

ElaineA
Friday, November 26/2010 at 11:36 pm

LOL I know the video was edited but did you even get a word in? :P

Great job though!

I always highlight under my brows and in the inner corners of my eyes. Not sure I even know how to contour ;)

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:43 pm

I actually didn’t edit it all that much! She just did her spiel…

Agree re: contouring… I wouldn’t really know what to do either. I feel like I’m so pale, it would be very obvious.

Tracy
Saturday, November 27/2010 at 12:38 am

Is her foundation in a spray can? Like the ERA Spray Foundation she used to use on the show?

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:45 pm
makeup morsels
Sunday, November 28/2010 at 5:57 pm

I love the lipsticks and eyeliners in her line.
You know, I’m really not sure that I agree about the contouring. Maybe it can look dated if it’s overdone, but it can enhance your face in a natural way if done correctly. I personally don’t contour with bronzer, just b/c the warm tones don’t work with my skin, but a little bit of NYX Taupe blush under my cheekbones (just from the outer edge of my face to the outer edge of my iris) makes a huge difference for me.

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:47 pm

I will have to try that MM! You make a good point – probably a lot of us shy away from contouring (aside from it being more work) because we don’t have the right colours. Also I think if your application is off, it can look worse than nothing at all…

Gimped
Monday, November 29/2010 at 11:03 am

I have never contoured, but have had makeup peeps do it for me. It made my jawline look so nice! — I have a bit of a double chin situation (ugh!) so it helped to disguise that and define my chin more. I fail at doing this myself though so I stick to highlighting. I do my brows almost every day, and my cheeks when I’m feeling a little sassy. As for the inner eye thing: where has this trick been my whole life?!? When I got my makeup done a few weeks ago at Estée Lauder she showed me the best trick: mix concealer with eye cream and apply with a concealer brush. Holy amazeballs!!! I looked so much better!!! I didn’t buy the Estée Lauder concealer, but I DID try this with my Benefit Erase Paste … and it still worked(!!!) — the eye cream helped combat the crease factor. I don’t do this everyday, but I definitely pull it out a few times a week.

Cream blush: I have a hard enough time applying regular blush the thought of using creams freaks me out. If anyone has any tips on application throw them at me. Also, do the creams stay ON TOP of the face, as opposed to settling in pores? I tried Smashbox O-Glow –> not good at all. I know it’s not a cream (more of a gel-turned-powder) but it settled in my pores and looked like poo.

@Janine: the eye pencils, are they good for waterlining? I’m on a hunt to find the definitive stay-put pencil!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh good tip! What is your ratio of eye cream to concealer? I will have to try that as I’ve been using an eye primer to combat the creases you inevitably get with concealer alone…

I agree that cream blushes are tricky but this one is so sheer I don’t think you’d have trouble with it. It’s similar to a lip balm – a very non-greasy one – that comes in a pot. The Mary Kay one I wrote about here is the same texture: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/06/17/for-reals-this-makeup-is-from-mary-kay/
I would say these balm-type blushes are a good way to ease out of powders because they’re buildable and you don’t have to work super-quickly like with the blushes that stain eg Benetint.

That said, my 2 all-time fave cream blushes are the Giorgio Armani Blushing Fabric: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/05/13/out-now-but-act-fast-giorgio-armani-blushing-fabric-second-skin-blush-and-face-fabric-radiance-second-skin-brightening-makeup/ and the YSL Creme Blush: http://beautyeditor.ca/2009/09/24/channeling-studio-54-val-garland-presents-ysls-autumn-look-part-one-of-two/

Both super easy to blend and particularly the Armani one sinks into your skin and looks like part of your skin! I’m not a fan of the Smashbox O Glo for anything but lips unfortunately… as a blush I don’t find it very spreadable or natural.

Gimped
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 11:10 am

Hey Michelle!!

Ratio … hmm … Well, definitely more eye cream than concealer. At least that’s what works for me — I don’t need a lot of concealer so I tend to use more cream, but others may need something different. Maybe 2 parts cream to 1 part concealer?? And it depends on the consistencies of your products, too — thinner concealers won’t need as much cream to mix with them. Really I just play around with it until I find a shade/consistency that works. Blend them on your hand first, of course, then apply with a concealer brush. Let me know if it works for you — I love it!!!

Visit the Estée Lauder website and watch the Fatigue Fighter video for tips on how to use this trick.

Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:19 pm

Nice – thanks for that link Gimped. I love that they use a combo of fingers + brush. I used to always apply concealer with my fingers but the brush makes a HUGE difference.

Gimped
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 11:17 am

And thanks for the blush tips!! I LOVE Benetint, but it goes no where near my cheeks — lips only — cuz I’m so terrified of applying too much!! I think I’ll start with something cheaper, like Carmindy’s new line, and see if I can get the hang of the application before trying something more luxe. I’m pretty sure I saw Carmindy’s prodz at my local Shoppers (did I see Swifty on the advertising??) so I might run out and grab some of the cream blush today :) How many shades do I have to pick from? And if there are lots to pick from, how do I pick the right one?

Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:22 pm

Not sure if I’m too late for you but there are 4 shades. You’re fair so either of the 2 lightest ones would probably be just fine. The shades are here: http://www.sallyhansennaturalbeauty.com/

skybluesky
Monday, November 29/2010 at 11:16 am

Gimped! I’ve been converted to cream blush a few months ago. I adore Stila’s Convertible Color…still, though, there’s nothing wrong with a good reliable powder blush. I swear by NARS. If you use a cream blush, it’s better with creamy face makeup…like tinted moisturizer/liquidy makeup. If you use a powder makeup (mineral makeup etc) then a powder blush is better.

I like to put on mine on top of sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer. I like to dab it on with my fingers but if I put too much I sheer it out with a beauty blender sponge (or brush) or you can add more foundation/tm/skin makeup on top.

Gimped
Monday, November 29/2010 at 12:09 pm

Thanks, Skybluesky. I should give it a try, cuz I’ve switched to liquid foundation for the winter months. I do love my Benefit Sugarbomb though; it will be hard to give up :) Though it IS even harder to apply now that I’m using a liquid foundation.

I guess my next question would be about placement. In Carmindy’s vid she mentioned something about just the apples of the cheeks ?? Keep in mind that I am horrible at applying blush. It’s the one thing about makeup that I’ve never been able to get right. It never seems to be in the right spot, and I can’t find the right amount to apply (it’s either too much or too little)

Michelle! I smell another posting idea for you!!

Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:27 pm

What I do is smile when I apply it – it makes the fleshy parts of your cheeks pop out and that’s where you want the colour. I just pat/tap it on (use less than you think because you can always add more) and then use sort of a circle pattern to blend, going up towards the temples.

There are some good tips here from Temptalia… but yeah I should probably do a post on this too! http://www.temptalia.com/beauty-lessons-how-to-apply-blush

Gimped
Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:40 pm

Thanks, Michelle!!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:59 pm

Nice picks! And yes – best to stick with all one texture with foundations + blush… either all liquids/creams or all powders. OR at the very least put creams *underneath* powders, because the reverse can go cakey. (That means you could do a creamy foundation with a powder blush on top… but the reverse isn’t as ideal.)
Hope that makes sense!

Must give the Beauty Blender another go I think!

Mellyjo
Monday, November 29/2010 at 12:26 pm

it’s also available at select Shoppers Drug Mart stores!

Monday, November 29/2010 at 6:59 pm

Oh cool – thanks Mellyjo, I didn’t realize that!

Alicia Richards
Monday, November 29/2010 at 10:36 pm

i have some of these products i bought the from dollarama a few weeks back.
they arent great…but not bad for a dollar

Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:17 pm

They’re discounted to $1 already! Must be in the U.S. right? They just launched here in Canada. Uh-oh…

Tania
Wednesday, March 7/2012 at 3:03 am

Hi,
Please help, i live in South Africa and am desperate to buy Carmindy’s FAST FIX CONCEALER. Where and how?
thanks so much