I never thought I’d say this, but I am no longer feeling Gisele’s messy, beachy, streaky hair

Gisele Bundchen highlighted hair

Emphasis on the streaky.

Yeah, I know it’s Gisele, and I know people (including myself, of course) have been coveting her hair for probably a decade now. And yes, if I had even a fraction of her beauty—even with BLUE hair—I’d be deliriously happy.

But I have to get something off my chest that’s been bothering me for some time now: I am no longer down with her signature beachy, wavy, balayage’d locks. I kind of don’t know what to do with that thought because it seems a bit sacrilegious almost.

However. Take a look at these pics (they’re more recent than the one above) and tell me if you don’t agree:

Gisele Bundchen St. Barts I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

Is it the coat? Is it the shoes? (I am no fashion expert but I am DEFINITELY not feeling those.)

Gisele Bundchen St. Barts2 I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

No, I think it’s definitely the hair that is bugging me the most.

The ashy roots, the streakiness, the messy-looking texture… it’s all reminding me of one of these:

lion I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

Is that mean? Okay, maybe. But my point is that things in hair are changing. Changing to richer, more solid hues. As in one all-over colour—not obvious streaks.

And like I’ve been saying, the Mad Men influence is not over yet—not by a long shot—because it’s also becoming more about polished, groomed, ladylike textures. Kate Middleton’s engagement hair or the brushed-out waves I had when I did my Ombré being just two examples.

Probably the best celeb to reference is Leighton Meester (whose hair is attended to by my all-time hairdresser crush Charles Baker Strahan, who always, always GETS IT):

Leighton Meester hair I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

It is shinier, it is healthier-looking (although that may be mostly to do with how it’s been styled) and despite not having obvious highlights, you can still see a bit of variation in the colour:

Leighton Meester hair2 I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

Even the Ombré trend shows that we’re moving away from streakiness into solid colour. Did you know expert brown eyeshadow-wearer Hilary Duff got hers done?

Hilary Duff Ombre I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

Gisele, maybe that is something you would like to try.

NOW. I know what you may be thinking. Maybe the most compelling Real World thing about Gisele’s colour is that it doesn’t require constant touch-ups. Ombré doesn’t either—UNLESS you have greys, because they just don’t camouflage as well against the darker colour at the top of your head. Gisele’s balayage colour, on the other hand, makes the greys look like they could be just another blonde streak.

So. To solve that problem, I’m sort of leaning toward a more solid application of highlights like Miss Kate Moss has here:

Kate Moss blonde hair bangs I never thought Id say this, but I am no longer feeling Giseles messy, beachy, streaky hair

I do not advocate dyeing your hair solid-colour blonde unless you are Gwen Stefani and can afford to have someone do your roots every 10 days (and also constant deep-conditioning treatments to repair all the damage). I once let a hairdresser convince me to do it and that started me off on a painful two-year recovery process where I had to go dark to cover all the damage. Eeks!

But back to Kate’s hair—it’s got that richness, that warmness I’m talking about and it isn’t streaky. Make sense?

Tell me:

How do you feel about Gisele’s hair?
Do you like Leighton Meester’s better?
What do YOU do about re-growth/gray hair issues?

Elaine
Monday, November 29/2010 at 8:59 pm

I still love Gisele’s hair… to me it’s like a more wearable version of the ombre trend

but that boot/jacket/short combo is god awful

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 7:40 pm

That’s true – although I would love to see her with a more solid light brown… I think that would be so pretty!

Kat
Monday, November 29/2010 at 11:11 pm

Leighton is back?! I know this is a beauty blog, but really.. how gorgeous is that dress and general look on her? Dewy complexion, a nice natural shade of pink lip and cheek color, black liner. Can’t go wrong. (Although I’m pretty sure Kim Kardashian could prove me wrong on that one.. :P) Her hair looks kinda greasy on that first picture though, doesn’t it? Looks like she might’ve had a little mousse overdose.. I could be wrong.

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 7:43 pm

I heart Leighton so much! I think that first photo is just a bad angle as her hair looks absolutely perfect in the 2nd one. Maybe she posed without having her “people” arrange her hair properly.

And I just noticed her short fuchsia fingernails – love!

kat
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 3:33 am

is it just me or in Leightons second pic does her thumb remind you of megan foxes clubbed thumb! but yes her hair is awesome..

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 7:45 pm

Megan Fox has a clubbed thumb? I did not know this but wow – it even comes up in Google. I learn something new everyday with this blog! Megan’s is much more clubbed than Leighton’s though… :-)

Nicole
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 12:36 pm

I get that Giselle is a supermodel and she is a gorgeous woman, but if I was going to aspire to anyones style it would be someone like Leighton. I think you are easily as beautiful as Giselle, you just maybe aren’t as tall and skinny as her. The only thing I’m jealous of a supermodel for is how much money they make :P

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 7:47 pm

Oh you are way too kind Nicole! :-)
But yeah – I hear you… I actually don’t really aspire to look/live like a supermodel either. For one thing, every single model I’ve seen in real life has a body that looks like a teenage boy – totally shapeless. I’m more of the Mad Men/Christina Hendricks school… I think curves look so much better.

skybluesky
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 1:31 pm

I do appreciate and understand the aesthetic of Giselle’s hair, but it’s hard to pull it off if you’re a mere mortal like me. (hahaha) It looks really beautiful, but I would look like a hobo.

Leighton’s hair is something I aspire to; subtle highlights, shiny, obviously healthy…easy growout, but I don’t dye my hair (yet. key word, yet.)

I looove Kate Moss’s hair and minimal style in general, pretty much no matter what style mode/trend she’s rocking.

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:09 pm

I think all-over colour like Leighton’s is actually harder to grow out. If I’m right about Gisele’s it is just highlights – no base colour – so as it grows in there is no demarcation line.

Kamila
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 5:55 pm

It might just be trend fatigue, but I’m over Gisele’s hair too. The beachy blonde/messy wave thing has been done to death for years now. I think Leighton’s solid colour and polished styling is a refreshing change (and it looks gorgeous too). I like Kate Moss’s hair too – it’s still a bit messy but since it has bangs and a more solid colour, it still seems more interesting than standard issue streaky waves.

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:11 pm

Agree with everything you said, Kamila!
(and yes – plain old trend fatigue is a real possibility here)

Jane
Tuesday, November 30/2010 at 8:32 pm

Oh wow. Kate looks amazing. I am going to buy more black clothes- stat.

I agree, Giselle’s look is a little tired…what do we think would look good on Giselle?

Wednesday, December 1/2010 at 8:12 pm

I love blondes in black! Not as good of a colour for brunettes though – they’re better in jewel tones and pinks.

I would love to see Gisele with solid colour light brown hair. I think it would look cooler & younger.

Gimped
Thursday, December 16/2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m actually glad that highlights are kind of on the way out. Don’t get me wrong I love them to death. Before I went all-platinum I was a brunette with blonde highlights and I loved what they did for my hair. It helped give my fine hair more volume, which was likely just an illusion but one I definitely liked :) The different dimensions … works miracles.

BUT … I find they bring a whole different realm of quandaries.
1. Once they start to grow out, they look fake. Like hardcore.
2. Touching up the roots can become dangerous — we’re usually talking about bleach here, which can cause breakage
3. If you ever decide to try something different with your hair, growing out your highlights is a HUGE pain in the tushie! And so is dying over them!!

At least with a solid colour it’s less to worry about. You still have roots to deal with, but they’re much easier to maintain. Roots are only “nice looking” for so long, and then it starts to look like poo … like what I’m dealing with right now. My roots are probably about 2 inches long and are driving me NUTS!! Mind you I’m dealing with a mane full of bleach damage, so my options are limited … and my fear or hair dyes has been increased tremendously. I’m going to get an all-over colour next week — I’m crossing my fingers that all goes well!!

Speaking of dying my hair … I know your reco was to try Angst, but it’s just not in my budget right now. I know he’s likely worth it, but I just can’t do it right now. Plus I don’t know how my hair will react to all over colour yet — I’d hate to fork out a ton-o-cash only to have the hair dye wash out in 2 weeks cuz of this damn over-bleached hair. I’ll keep you posted on that adventure!!

Thursday, December 23/2010 at 9:55 am

Hmmm I dunno what the answer is… I’ve had *terrible* experiences with my roots growing into a solid colour – hated the really obvious “raccoon streak” and found it much more noticeable than any highlights. But that’s probably because I went much lighter with the solid colour.

I just got highlights put back into my (previously solid) Ombre and really happy with the effect. They’re not as streaky as Gisele’s I think (I hope!). Eventually I think I want to go a bit brighter a la Kate Moss, but baby steps…

Let us know how your all-over colour turned out! I agree, it’s probably the best thing if your hair is very damaged.

Gimped
Friday, December 24/2010 at 9:24 am

Hey Michelle!

So the all-over colour went really well!! It’s now a rich brown colour, like the one Hilary Duff and Keira Knightley are rocking in your blog posts… with just a FEW honey/caramel highlights thrown in. I’ll try to snap a pic of it later today when I’m not sitting here in my pajamas :) Not a fan of the cut so much — all the layers I had grown out are now back so I’m a bit peeved, esp after reading your post about blunt cuts being better for fine hair — but I love the colour. I can deal with growing out my hair AGAIN — getting tired of the 2 steps forward one step back process though — but I can’t deal with another colouring disaster!!

Saturday, January 1/2011 at 1:25 pm

Awesome! Would love to see a pic! (But grrr re: layers… someone else just commented on another post that a stylist put layers in her hair without her agreeing to it. And hairdressers wonder why we do not trust them.)
Anyway glad at least that your colour is on track! :-)

Gimped
Monday, January 10/2011 at 10:16 am

Hey Michelle!

Here’s a pic of the new hair colour: http://twitpic.com/3ot49s

Like the tweet says, I’m a fan of the colour but not of the cut. I’m TRYING to grow my hair out for the blunt forward bob similar to this sans bangs … but no matter how many times I tell a stylist that I’m growing out my hair they insist on over cutting. Do you see any layers in the bob pic above? NO! There was one person who listened, but when I tried to re-book her for this last appointment they booked me with “the other Jodi.” Now I’ve lost A LOT of length (my shortest layer is just below where my glasses hit), and to make it even worse she razored the ends so my hair now does this weird flippy thing and looks even thinner! SOMETIMES I can get it to look decent, but this morning was a failure — I should have used my flatiron to get rid of the flip.

I’m getting tired of growing my hair out! This mess will take another 6 months to fix! If anyone has any styling suggestions PLEASE forward them on! Or am I being too critical?

Gimped
Monday, January 10/2011 at 1:59 pm

… and to answer your tweet

The colour was done at a small-town salon up north called Slickers. Nothing uber fancy, but the price was right: under $100 for full colour, highlights, cut and style!!! It’s a demi shade, with a few caramel coloured highlights. It’s starting to fade already where the blonde was, which is to be expected. I’m thinking the blonde was part of the reason why the stylist decided to cut so much hair off; maybe she was just getting rid of bad hair ??

VERY happy with the colour, and psyched that it covered the damage so well. SO glad you like it!!

Alyson Adams
Monday, January 24/2011 at 7:30 pm

No matter how many pictures I bring in to my stylist, (I’ve even changed stylists because of this), I end up with the streaky highlight look. How do I explain effectively that I want a more blended/natural look, like Leighton?

Tuesday, January 25/2011 at 4:54 pm

Going to do a full post on this soon but VERY EXCITING – I just interviewed the guy who does Leighton’s hair (Charles Baker Strahan) and the way it’s done is with LOWLIGHTS. He says not to attempt to lighten at all – the way to get the tone-on-tone look is to use your natural colour as the highlights and just add lowlights with a darker colour. Genius, isn’t it? Will post more deets soon.