Natalie Portman Gotham Awards 2010

No, no they could not. And this is why Natalie rules the red carpet, always.

Not to knock poor Blake Lively again—because she really got hammered the other day for her lash line-to-brow orange eyeshadow habit—but if you compare and contrast, Natalie just looks infinitely cooler with her low-key, effortless hair and makeup (save for the perfect, perfect accent of pink on the lips).

In fact I am so in love with this look that I am already going to declare it THE hair and makeup of the season. That’s right: even though I’ve been praising brushed-out curls and the top knot and Kate Middleton hair and brown eyeshadow and the new bare-faced glam (whew! exhausted yet?), I think that for the month of December, this is where it is at, folks.

And this is what you need to pull it off:

1. A fuchsia lipstick (duh!)

NARS lipstick Schiap Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)

Like I’ve been saying, the $6 Joe Fresh matte fuschia lippie has beauty editors raving right now. (It’s REALLY awesome, saturated colour. Check it out on my pal M. here.) Other good picks: NARS lipstick in Schiap, Revlon ColorBurst lipstick in Fuchsia or YSL Pur Couture lipstick in Le Fuschia. Because lips tend to be on the dry/flaky side at this time of year, make sure that before you put it on, you buff away any flaky bits and then prep with a nice matte lip balm.

2. Groomed brows

Uh-oh… I feel another Blake Lively dig coming on. Okay, so you know how her brows are too light? (Go ahead. Look at these pics and then tell me if you don’t agree.) Well, that can be a problem. Even though I’ve flirted with the brow-bleaching thing, I think for winter (and blonde people like Blake), defined brows just look a bit better. We want them to be full and groomed a la Natalie, and then you actually need less makeup. Definitely less eyeshadow anyway!

My fave brow pencil is this one from Dior, which has the most amazing fine, hair-like tip:

dior jazzclub browstyler1 Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)I’ve got some more fuller-brow tips here.

3. Blackest-black lashes (and maybe a hint of liquid liner) on the upper lid only

Maybelline New York The Falsies mascara Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)

I think keeping the eye action to the upper lid is important with this look—it keeps it more clean. I’d use something like Maybelline New York’s The Falsies to get this dramatic effect.

AND… perfect segue into my friend Janine’s video yesterday on how to apply false lashes. Head over here to have a watch—she is adorable.

4. Blush

ysl creme de blush Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)

My pick for this one is—surprise!—not going to be the Giorgio Armani one I keep annoying you all about (though it would, obviously, look great too). No, I’m feeling my OTHER fave blush—YSL’s Creme de Blush. It comes in a cute little pot and is in a slippy (silicone) cream texture and you can build it up to the coverage level you need. It has never failed me.

5. The hair (of course you were waiting for the hair, right?)

Okay, here it comes. But first—here’s another visual from another angle:

Natalie Portman Gotham awards 2010 2 Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)

Because the great Charles Baker Strahan already gave me some awesome tips on how to do this way back in the spring, I’m going to re-post them again here:

Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Mousse 300x300 Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)1. Wash and condition your hair. (If you’re a flattie, you’ll probably want something volumizing.)

2. Apply a small amount of mousse to damp or dry hair, focusing on the roots.

3. Blow hair dry, working through it with your fingers so it’s piece-y and frayed. Don’t use a brush.

4. Working in sections (about 2 inches each, but don’t make them too perfect), curl your hair with a medium-barreled curling iron. Wrap the hair on the outside of the iron (instead of clamping and rolling).

5. Lightly run your fingers through your hair to tease and gently separate the curls. Spray with a volume-building hairspray.

bobby pins1 Let the holiday parties begin! I suggest Natalie Portman's side bun and fuchsia lips (could they BE any more perfect?)6. Starting at one side, loosely braid your hair across the back of your head, working  pieces in as you move across, sort of like a sideways French braid. Secure it on the other side with a clear elastic band. (NOTE: I can’t tell if Natalie’s hair incorporates this—so you could always just start the braid on the same side as the bun. Just make sure the bun is on the opposite side to where your part falls, so your hair falls softly over one eye and then into the bun. )

7. Twist and pin the braid into a bun, and then secure it with bobby pins (use two a time in a criss-cross shape to make it hold properly). Then spray with hairspray.

Annnnd you’re done!

Do you have lots of holiday parties coming up—maybe even tonight?
Are you in love with Natalie’s hair and makeup here as much as I am?
Do you think you might try this, or do you have another look in mind? (Does everyone plan these things ahead or am I just a nerd?)

Lesa
Friday, December 3/2010 at 3:24 pm

She looks HOT as balls. Portman’s always been on my If-I-ever-switched-teams list.

Arianne
Friday, December 3/2010 at 3:31 pm

Oooh so pretty! I need a fuchsia lipstick in my life. But what do I do about these blunt bangs? Pin back, or do a side fringe action?

Skybluesky
Friday, December 3/2010 at 3:59 pm

Side fringe. Blunt bangs pushed to the side is so cute.

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:13 pm

Yes, agree – pinning back wouldn’t look as effortless and I think the look requires the sideswept action. My bangs are fairly blunt too but I’ve had success keeping them pushed to the side by curling first (just a bit of a kink in them to add texture) and then shellacking them to the side with either gel or a really strong hairspray. Then they should blend in nicely with the rest of your hair.

Skybluesky
Friday, December 3/2010 at 4:01 pm

Omg, yes! I saw these pictures recently and I was totally thinking about rocking the side bun! I love a berry lip, too! I have NARS in Funny Face, which is bluer than schiap, but I’ll warm it up with a red lip stain underneath or something. Sooo excited to try this out tonight or this weekend!

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:15 pm

You know what, as I was writing this I was thinking about that pink dress you have and how nice this would look together!

Skybluesky
Monday, December 6/2010 at 2:42 pm

Aw, thanks, Michelle! It was such a good idea and a great run-down of how to pull it off!

Anya
Friday, December 3/2010 at 5:54 pm

My skinny look-alike! I’m so copying this look for a very important event next week!

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:08 pm

Natalie Portman is your celebrity double? Man you’re lucky. Mine is Nicole Kidman and as you can imagine that’s not going so well these days…

Anya
Friday, December 3/2010 at 7:07 pm

Sure: a bigger, waaaaaaaaay less elegant Natalie Portman…

I can totally see the Artist-Formerly-Known-as-Nicole-Kidman resemblance!

Marina(Makeup4All)
Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:28 pm

I can’t wait to get some of those YSL blushes from spring collection. As for this look it looks nice but I’m not sure if I like the lashes…

Friday, December 3/2010 at 6:34 pm

Too clumpy maybe? That did cross my mind…

Alyssa
Saturday, December 4/2010 at 2:39 am

Blakes eyebrows have always bugged me so it’s funny you say that! Especially watching gossip girl she could have an impeccable outfit and I look at the brows! But what is weird is the shape. I don’t know maybe I’m crazy.

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 6:34 pm

Chanel just announced that she’s their new spokesperson so let’s hope they fix that situation! (As well as the eyeshadow problem)

Ashley
Saturday, December 4/2010 at 2:41 am

I agree. the lashes to look a bit clumpy. I do love the fuchsia on her. it just is so… cheery without being like omg red. I have trouble pulling such cool tones off though… any suggestions? I may just substitue for the orange/coral lip I now am loving (thanks to your post!)… should I save it for spring though?

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 6:42 pm

I love OMG red. I might be stealing that phrase in the future!

As for lip colours – I keep hearing that the rules about cool vs. warm are sort of ending now… so it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Maybe go for more of a cherry/poppy red instead of a fuchsia? Still on the cooler side but much easier to pull off…like a pinky red. (And still not “OMG red”)

I really adore the Hard Candy one I wrote about the other day: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/11/30/new-ish-and-rather-excellent-makeup-you-can-buy-at-the-drugstore-or-supermarket-for-under-20/

This is sort of what it looks like on: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/22/london-ss-11-twenty8twelve-does-exactly-the-everyday-makeup-i-covet/ (OR you can make the colour yourself by mixing a coral with a red)

As for corals… I hear you about them being more of a summer shade, but I think you could definitely go for a more saturated, deeper orange version for winter. I think that would be so pretty! Eg. what the girl with the orange turban is wearing here: http://beautyeditor.ca/2010/09/13/new-york-ss-11-so-far-sorta-scary-trends-include-orange-lips-turbans-and-slicked-back-dos-eeks/

Ashley
Thursday, December 9/2010 at 3:00 am

Excelent! Thanks for the tips… I got the brighter more orange-orange (new revlon siren) and I am actually really loving it with just a bit of mascara for going out. The poppy red is actually really fun for day but it just feels too summer to me still with all my layers of sweaters. But I think as it gets warmer this might be a go to because its so easy just lipstick mascara and go! Im a gold blond with green eyes so the twenty8twelve pics were a good starting point.

Friday, December 10/2010 at 4:57 pm

Oooh very nice… I think I have the same Revlon shade and it’s a great orange. I hear you re: poppy – I would prob only wear it with an all-black outfit and nothing woolen etc., otherwise I agree, it’s too summery. Blonde with orange and/or that pinky red is one of my fave combinations – so pretty! (And SUCH a contrast to the horrific Christina Aguilera red lipstick I posted today… shudder.)

Kat
Sunday, December 5/2010 at 1:17 am

I tried the side bun today, while happily painting on ceramic, dining and then drinking with friends, and I can confirm that aside from being ridiculously easy to achieve with minimal effort (bobby pins, elastics and hairspray is all you really need!), it got me very good comments! One of my friends even recognized the inspiration from your blog, and went “Trying out the Natalie Portman look?”, with a grin. I ditched the fushia (a trend my pinky tells me NOT to follow) for some peachy, slightly coral-y nude color though.

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 6:44 pm

Yay! Long live the side bun!
And yes maybe forgoing the pink lips was a smart move if I am encouraging an army of Natalie Portman clones here!… :-)

Lowe
Sunday, December 5/2010 at 6:30 pm

She looks gorge! Something about her skin, hair and eye colour that’s working wonders for her. The fuchsia lip is a perfect tone but if I were her hair stylist, I probably would have put the bun on the other side. I feel like there’s too much stuff near the puff.
xoxo, lowe

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 6:31 pm

I was wondering about that with the one shoulder thing!

kat
Monday, December 6/2010 at 4:09 am

has anyone tried blincs’ kiss me mascara the “beauty tubes” one, I want a second opinion before i go out and buy it. any feedback?
thanks

Skybluesky
Monday, December 6/2010 at 2:46 pm

Yes, I use it! I have Asian lashes, though, and before Latisse (yeah, they really were that short) Blinc would weigh down the curl that I’d put in with a Shu Uemura curler. But now, it doesn’t.

It’s definitely more of a natural look…unless you do a lot of it; then it looks really clumpy. It works for sure, though. I wouldn’t sleep in it because for me, the fibers have come off at night. I have oily lids and most mascaras do smudge/flake on me and this doesn’t. When I touch my lashes, though (sometimes I can’t help it.), it will make it flake a bit.

It is waterproof, for sure.

Tuesday, December 7/2010 at 6:47 pm

These ladies said it all! Love it for the no-smudge factor but honestly it’s not amazing for length or volume. I will wear it to the gym or on weekends.

You might want to check out L’Oreal’s version called Beauty Tubes. Same technology but probably cheaper and a little bit more lengthening:

Melissa
Monday, December 6/2010 at 1:52 pm

Yes, I have tried the Kiss Me Mascara that goes on lashes like tubes. It isn’t the greatest for ultra-length, but if you have semi-long lashes it will give you a bit of length and definition. For me, my lashes are long but blonde on the ends so it suited me just fine. The pro is that it does stay put pretty well throughout the day and comes off super easy before bed. I also liked not even having to use an eye makeup remover, just a cotton pad with some water. My lashes also felt less damaged over the month-long period I used this mascara.

If you do buy it, let me know what you thought!