Ellis Faas Ellis Red

Okay, so I probably should have posted this at least a week ago, seeing as it’s already December 17th—eeks! But it just occurred to me that while I’ve posted a list of the beauty products I think are definitely worth it and that YOU should be asking for from Santa… I hadn’t actually posted about what I’d like Santa to bring ME.

Because, you see, I already have quite a healthy-sized (okay, embarrassingly huge) product collection and realistically have zero need to expand it any further. But then a couple of blog friends—Coco&Lowe and The Style Spy—asked me to participate in their Christmas wish list round-ups (check me out here and here), and I realized that I should probably share those picks with you guys too.

And surprise, surprise: they’re all cult products, most of them hard to find. And while I haven’t tried any of them yet (have you?), I’ve been hearing VERY good things…

1. Ellis Faas Milky Lips in Ellis Red

Ellis Faas Ellis Red 2 Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

I have wanted this lipstick (and, well, lots of other things from this line) for at least a year now, maybe two. It’s not available in Canada yet—although Canadians can order online—and what has me so intrigued is that all of the shades are based on colours found naturally in the human body… like blood!

Yes, blood. That’s the deal with the Ellis Red (above), which is supposed to suit any skin tone since we all have blood, right? Such a smart concept by makeup artist Ellis Faas, who has tossed that whole confusing thing about warm versus cool tones out the window.  This lipstick comes in three “finishes”: Creamy, Milky and Glazed. I suggest you read more about it here.

2. Tarte LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint in Amused (Bright Pink)

Tarte LipSurgence Amused Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

Speaking of lip products, I’ve been on a mission to get more Tarte in my life ever since it had a makeover and went from being just a cutesy-packaging brand to a proper natural cosmetics line. I’ve heard from PR and beauty editor friends alike that this lip stain is The Bomb. I fully approve of the ingredients lint (no yucky stuff) and it’s supposed to be highly moisturizing, so it will be an upgrade for my Joe Fresh (which I still love, but… you know). Find out more here—you can actually buy this one at Sephora.

3. The O Cloud Nine Heated Rollers

The O Rollers Cloud Nine Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

I LOVE old skool hot rollers, and these are currently the biggest deal EVAH in the U.K. so I desperately hope they come to Canada very soon. What makes them different and better than regular hot rollers: They heat up in three seconds—THREE seconds!—and give natural-looking body that actually lasts for hours instead of falling flat within 10 minutes. The trick (as with all hot rollers) is letting them cool to set, and these are very clever on that front because they have a handy indicator light telling you when it’s time to remove. It doesn’t look like Cloud Nine will ship to Canada, but I’ll leave you to investigate further here.

4. Jane Iredale Pressed Powder Foundation

Jane Iredale Pressed Powder Foundation Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

So you may remember me posting about a little experiment-gone-wrong called The Oil Cleansing Method? Oh HAI. Still dealing with that, and I’ll maybe post a follow-up about it as soon as this nightmare is behind me—damn stuff gave me some kind of allergic, flaky rash AND an infection. (I have two theories: it was either the castor oil that irritated and dried out my skin so much that bacteria found its way in, OR one of the oils themselves was somehow contaminated.)

Anyway, this is why I am going against my own recommendation about liquid, not powder, foundation and looking to invest in this Jane Iredale puppy so as to avoid any skin mishaps in the future, seeing as my mug is a touch more sensitive than I thought. I already have a very similar product, Pure + Simple’s pressed powder foundation, but then I read ex-Lucky beauty editor turned Lemondrop contributor Cat Marnell’s piece about how Jane Iredale’s is the one foundation all facialists swear by. Therefore I must own it. (Find it at Pure + Simple.)

4. Tata Harper Skincare

Tata Harper Skincare Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

This line (along with #5 below) is a favourite of FASHION‘s beauty director—and when she says something is awesome, I believe her. Made on a farm in Vermont, Tata Harper prodz are the real eco deal: 100 percent natural, completely non-toxic and suitable for all skin types. Like I was saying when I raved about Aïny (pre-OCM disaster), it’s such a rarity to find a natural brand that is also luxurious. Read more about it here—they do ship internationally.

5. Dianne Brill Brow Pencil

Dianne Brill brow pencil Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

A good brow pencil is hard to find. Even though I’m happy with my current favourite (Dior’s Brow Styler), Dianne Brill’s is, apparently, excellent (and according to the web page, award-winning—although I’m not sure whose award it was). Also cool: Dianne Brill was a Warhol muse and Jean-Paul Gaultier model. Beauty is so random sometimes. You can find this in Canada at Abe & Mary’s in Montreal or Beauty Bar in Vancouver.

6. CB I Hate Perfume At The Beach 1966

CB I Hate Perfume At the Beach 1966 Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

I have a thing for beach scents. I used to wear Bobbi Brown Beach nearly everyday and Bond No. 9′s Fire Island is also a favourite—and don’t even get me started on how many others I have (from Estée Lauder, Clarins, etc.). Even though they’re having a time-out at the moment in my fragrance rotation, I would sincerely love to add this one from CB I Hate Perfume to my line-up, which has been on my radar for YEARS. There’s a great article about the founder here—he really does hate (mainstream) perfumes, and I soooo identify with that.

The description for At The Beach 1966 is “Coppertone [circa 1966] blended with wet sand, seashell, driftwood and just a hint of Boardwalk.” Do you love it??? I don’t even need a sample to know that I want this. More about the brand here; it’s sold at Ewanika in Toronto and Gravitypope Tailored Goods in Edmonton.

7. ghd Classic 1″ Styler

ghd IV styler Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

I am very loyal to my Chi flat iron, which must be at least six years old at this point and still going strong, but this is another U.K. gadget that I want to experience for myself, just to see what all the fuss is about. You can read up on the brand here. A word of warning: apparently there are a lot of ghd scammer sites out there, so make sure you only buy this from somewhere you trust, like Sephora.

8. Illamasqua makeup

illamasqua Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)

Wowza—how many blogs have I read where the author has sung the praises of this cult makeup line? Illamasqua hasn’t arrived in Canada yet, but you can find it on the U.S. Sephora website, and I don’t particularly care what I try, I just want SOMETHING. This is high-drama stuff: I love that the tagline is “night time makeup for your alter ego.”

9. Omnilux new-U

Omnilux new U Even though, like most beauty editors, I could open up my own Sephora, these are the culty beauty products on my radar (and Santa's too, I hope!)I have a few at-home light therapy devices already (Quasar, Tanda) that stay in their boxes a lot more than they should. But based on what I’ve been hearing about the Omnilux, that might change if I somehow got my greedy little hands on (and face under) this product. It’s actually an at-home version of a light that dermatologists use in their offices, and has been covered in Marie Claire as one of the few light gadgets that actually DOES work. On what, you say? Apparently, it improves skin tone and clarity and gives you a lovely juicy plumped-up glow. Sign me up.

More deets here; Canadians can buy from BeautyBridge.com and it comes in a Clear-U version for acne as well.

Gosh, it feels kind of wrong to only have NINE instead of ten products, but I honestly can’t think of any others right now (but just give me time…)

Tell me…

Have you tried any of these puppies?
How did they measure up?
What’s on YOUR wish list?

Elaine
Friday, December 17/2010 at 1:27 pm

When I was in Vegas this summer I went to Sephora right on the strip, which carried Illamasqua… I only bought one nail polish though (Baptiste), which is nothing short of drop-dead gorgeous. I wish I had bought 5 more! And lipsticks! and shadows! alas my budget was too small… plus I also bought an UD Naked palette, which they had about 8 of. which I found very strange since you couldnt find them online or anywhere!

Sarah B.
Friday, December 17/2010 at 2:01 pm

Hey,

The L101 is absolutely gorgeous! I got mine this week, you can buy it straight from the ellisfaas.com store! I ordered it and I’m from Brazil…
And also, you have got a national dupe! Beauté ‘s Masochist weightless lip creme is an exact match! And I have heard it has got a very nice formula as well!

Friday, December 17/2010 at 5:12 pm

Oh really? It looks sort of sparkly here on Michelle from Lipstick Rules: http://www.lipstickrules.com/2009/12/rockin-red-lips-mac-beaute.html I thought Ellis Faas stuff had no sparkle…? Or is it just the photo messin’ with me?

Sarah B.
Friday, December 17/2010 at 5:15 pm

If you zoom in the photo you’ll see that is only the light shining on it , look at these swatches http://www.londonmakeupgirl.com/2010/01/for-klara-ellis-red-and-beaute.html

But like I said, you can also shop directly from the Ef online store.
Also take a look at Pixiwoo’s Marlene Dietrich tutorial to see Sam wearing Masochist.
I actually ended up buying ellis red because Beauté’s shipping to Brazil was ridiculously expensive!

Friday, December 17/2010 at 5:22 pm

Oh ok good! Not really feeling sparkles these days.

I’m sure the Beaute one is lovely but I really think I’ll have to break down and buy the Ellis… there is just something so insanely glamorous about that brand. I want!

Sarah B.
Friday, December 17/2010 at 10:21 pm

Heheh, I can’t complain about it. I just loved their products. I will probably buy a ton more of lipsticks from them. They are on the expensive side, but totally worth it!

Veronica
Friday, December 17/2010 at 2:43 pm

I’ve been DYING to get my hands on the The O Cloud Nine Heated Rollers, they look so amazing. Have you seen the youtube tutorial/review of it from pixiwoo… SWOOOOON!

Friday, December 17/2010 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Veronica, I just looked that up (I need to watch more pixiwoo, they are so awesome).
Here it is for anyone who wants to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fpgqSZ2uP4

Marina(Makeup4all)
Friday, December 17/2010 at 2:48 pm

I have Ellis red and it is amazing, but I’ve used it only on myself so far. Their blush and Lights are also brilliant. I am a big Illamasqua fan, really like the idea behind the brand and Alex Box, Creative Director, is really cool! I like the cream blusters, nail varnishes are among the best, opaque with 1 coat and liquid metals are stunning but they do crease.

Michelle @LipstickRules
Friday, December 17/2010 at 3:46 pm

Great picks! I’m obsessed with Ellis Faas myself — their lip products, mascara and eye products that I’ve tried are FANTASTIC. I can’t say enough. We need it in Canada. As for Illamasqua, I’ve had a long-time affair with their cream blushes. Amazing amazing products.

Ashley
Saturday, December 18/2010 at 1:53 am

OMG! those rollers are sooo cool! I roller nearly everyday with my good old conairs… but I am all for an upgrade! if you figure out how to get your hands on them I would seriously like to know. I keep seeing Illamasqua Nail polish on some of the nail polish blogs it looks oh so nice as well

ChickAdvisor
Monday, December 20/2010 at 11:42 am

Great list!
I’m so big on tip tints right now, and I’m ready to try Tarte’s lip tint!
According to their site, “clinically proven: 6000% increase in lips’ moisture content in 28 days!” … I’m not sure how anything can increase by 6000% unless you seriously go from nothing, but I’m sure it really does moisturize!

Michelle @LipstickRules
Monday, December 20/2010 at 1:47 pm

Saw the trail above – the Beaute lippie is GORGEOUS. It is a deep red, no sparkle. I think in the photo the light hit it a certain way that gives it that look. I am dying to try Ellis Red. I might cave in and order. I did hear the brand is trying to get into Canada so who knows! maybe soon!

Alexia
Tuesday, December 21/2010 at 11:51 am

This is an absolutely brilliant post. There are so many beauty blogs talking about Cult products that list the same old tired….yawn…stuff….Touche Eclat, 8 Hour Cream anyone? My business is cult products and your selection is inspired. Nice One!!

Thursday, December 23/2010 at 9:40 am

Oh thank you Alexia! TOTALLY know what you mean re: those outdated cult products. I could never understand why people got so obsessed with Touche Eclat when it doesn’t really have a lot of coverage. 8 Hour Cream is basically Vaseline, and if I hear NARS Orgasm mentioned again….

Veann
Wednesday, December 22/2010 at 10:40 am

Ok, in the US last weekend, and bought two Illamasqua lipsticks – inspired by your list.

This stuff is serious pigmentation. Think Theatrical density.

I got a fushia (Resist) and a red (Encounter). There will be no blotting to take off a layer of opacity. There will be no bleeding. And not drying either. Bizarre. Application is key, as once it’s on it’s ON. And it’s either 100% on, or 100% off.

Haven’t’ tried with gloss yet… that kind of colour needs no shine.

PS LOVE your blog. Congrats on a great site!

V :)

Thursday, December 23/2010 at 9:41 am

Thanks V! Good to know about the lipsticks… my obsession continues…

misschris2025
Wednesday, March 2/2011 at 4:30 pm

Just bought one of Ellis Faas’ lipstick in NYC last weekend (Glazed Lips L303 — it’s not the (in)famous Ellis Red, the one I purchased is more berry-red) and I must admit, it’s my new favorite lipgloss AND lipcolour!

The packaging is sick, the texture is amazing, it’s long-lasting, it’s just the right amount of gloss and the colour is universally-flattering! It’s quite expensive for the amount of product you get, but I still feel like it’s worth it! Next time I’m in NYC, I’ll try to get my hands on the Ellis Red and some of the other, more neutral-looking colours :)

Wednesday, March 16/2011 at 5:05 pm

You got some? Oh I am so jellis. I neeeed a trip to the US of A. I am glad to hear it was everything I imagined and more!

Sarah
Tuesday, June 14/2011 at 6:31 am

This post has given me some interesting ideas of what I can ask for, as my birthday’s in a month’s time! I quite like the look of the o cloud nine heated rollers, I’ve got a pair of cloud nine straighteners and I think they’re wonderful. I also like the look of the Illamasqua makeup but I’m not sure if they’ll ship to the UK.