My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

Milly Spring 2011

Lashes and lips and glitter, oh my!

I’m no psychic, but those are just three of the trends that will be HUGE this year. (With a caveat on the glitter: it’s really only for the nails… and maaaybe a touch on the eyelids. Nowhere else, please. It’s 2011, not 2003.)

Of course, we saw a flurry of hair and makeup looks during spring/summer ’11 fashion week, so I already got a little help with my crystal ball gazing here.

But this forecast is about real life, not the runway… and as we all know, some trends (like oh, YSL’s black lipstick?) are born, and then die, on the catwalk.

So here are the beauty looks I predict will catch on this year, even with us non-model types. For realz.

ORANGE LIPS

Milly backstage spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

I don’t know how I missed these pics from Milly’s S/S ’11 show (above and at the top of the post) when I posted about the orange lipstick trend, but MAN. I think these are my favourites of all! (And yeah, I said orange lips were sorta scary, but they are becoming less scary by the minute. Everybody stock up on the teeth-whitening prodz!)

Anyway, you know I’ve been harping on forEVAH about how lipstick is back, particularly bright lipstick… but let me now rephrase that. It’s mostly going to be about orange lipstick (or a highly pigmented orange gloss) this summer. (Or you can start now, whatevs.) Forget red. Orange is new, orange is fresh, and I suggest you invest in some, stat.

Tip: If your orange lipstick is too OMGorange, tone it down by layering it with a red (which will make it more of a poppy colour) or a pink (you’ll get a pinky coral).

RUNNER-UP: FUCHSIA LIPS

Diane von Furstenberg Spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

My current obsession and just as good as the orange if orange is too frightening. (Even though Armani’s Reza Zaimeche says there are no rules anymore with colours, it just might be too yellow-based for your complexion.)

Above, at Diane von Furstenberg, they’re more of a Day-Glo fuchsia, but Natalie Portman showed off a more wearable version here. Someone asked me about Valentine’s Day beauty recently, and I think these lips would be your go-to.

LOOOOOONG LASHES

Lanvin spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

So it’s safe to say we are all becoming lash obsessed. I blame Latisse—but even if you don’t try it now that it’s available in Canada (and to be honest, I’m not sure you should*), there are loads of over-the-counter prodz to give your lashes some help.

* I say this because I heard some pretty frightening stuff about permanent eye discolouration last month from a makeup artist who works with loads of celebrity clients on Latisse (and presumably they follow package directions). Probably fine for brown-eyed peeps, but I’m personally too frightened by the idea of getting brown splotches in my blue eyes. Yikes!

Anyway! One of the most exciting lash lengtheners coming out this year is from Physicians Formula, and it’s a liquid liner… which kind of makes more sense than a mascara because it gets right at the root of the lashes. More deets soon… in the meantime check out these lash-growth products.

GLITTER

glitter nails My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

But like I said, only on the nails and possibly the eyelids. But if you’re tempted to apply anywhere else, please read this post.

Weird how something that at one time I thought was so wrong now looks so right, huh?

ROUND OR, YES, POINTY NAILS (IF YOU DARE)

Charlie Le Mindu nails spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

Say goodbye to the squoval. It’s over. (Even if that shape is technically better for our nails.)

Like I’ve been hinting, a rounded shape is more on trend right now—and in a shorter length, probably the most wearable look for Real People Who Have To Type and Wash Dishes and Stuff.

BUT. As per the pic above, I must notify you again (because we saw them at DSquared2 a while back) that pointy nails ARE, in fact, a trend. And maybe a weapon. Could be handy.

THE HALF-MOON MANI

Half Moon Manicure at Vena Cava Spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

I was sitting on posting this one until I, too, experienced the fabulousness of the half-moon mani—which has become something of a micro-trend here in Toronto at Tips Nail Bar. (ALL the beauty editors are going there, just FYI… except me, because I don’t go east of Bloor St. Yet.)

Anyway! The look involves either painting the half-moons on your nails a contrasting colour OR leaving them bare. Do you love it or do you love it? Maybe best left for a pro, though—I’m not sure I have anywhere near the skillz to DIY.

BRIGHT EYESHADOW

Oscar de la Renta SS 2011 2 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

I think we’re collectively going to get more daring again with colour, not just for the lips but the eyes too. I suppose it’s taken this long (20 years!!) to get over the 1980s.

Two of the coolest colour palettes for 2011 for the eyes are the saturated blue-greens (seen above at Oscar de la Renta and in this how-to vid featuring Gucci Westman) and the oranges at Thakoon, Carolina Herrera and Derek Lam.

The easiest way to wear this for real life is to concentrate the colour just along the lash line (either upper or lower or both) and most importantly—ground, ground, ground with black liner.

“SOLID” HAIR

Marc Jacobs Spring 2011 My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

By solid I mean not that piecey look where you can see the separated, individually curled sections.

This is why the brushed-out curls I’ve been talking about look SO GOOD right now. Please DIY so the trend officially takes off, okay? Because as you know I’m over the flat-iron curls. (And sorry to all the straight-haired folk out there, including me. The stick-straight look shows no signs of life just yet… hair still needs to have some volume and ideally, bend.)

Here’s a vid from Australian hair guru Kevin Murphy explaining the “solid-hair” trend and how to get it.

WARMER, TONE-ON-TONE HAIR COLOUR

leighton meester hair auburn My crystal ball says these will be the big beauty trends for 2011—for realz, yo

Along the same lines as the solid SHAPES is solid colour. Either one all-over colour with some shimmering dimension (quite possible with some of the new box dyes) OR tone-on-tone highlights (but they better NOT be obvious, streaky ones… ahem, Gisele).

Since I just ditched my Ombré (more on why soon), I am going to be so bold as to say that trend is going to start to phase out this year… so if you’re still wanting to get the look, get on it asap—I’m giving that trend maybe another six months.

As for the colour itself, for 2011 it’s warm and rich and sounding quite like something you’d want to eat: chocolate, butterscotch, honey, caramel… you get the idea.

How do you feel about these beauty trends?
What do YOU think will be the big beauty craze of 2011?
Have you adopted any of these trends already?

Marina(Makeup4All)
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 2:51 pm

I can already see myself wearing that bright orange lipstick, in fact, I have one and I was wearing it since summer 2009 :) The fuchsia one looks hot, too. I LOVE hot matte lips for summer.
I like the mani but I am also too far from DIY here.

What I would really like – a pro (!) colourist who’d to something special with my hair without changing the colour. I’d love something like Leightom Meester has: different shades of one colour. But, man, it’s so hard to find a really great pro when it comes to hair…

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:32 pm

This comment inspired my post on Friday about hair colour! http://beautyeditor.ca/2011/01/07/lauren-conrad-is-a-brunette-and-i-like-it%E2%80%94a-lot-in-fact-all-of-these-brown-haired-beauties-have-fab-colour/ SO with you on that – brown hair with highlights is a major colourist challenge. (And we just need to look at Snooki to see how wrong it can go!)

Arianne
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 3:08 pm

I wear and LOVE MAC Neon Orange lipstick (Morange from MAC is similar). It brightens my complexion like nobody’s business. I wear it with bronzed skin, stronger brows, and almost zero eye makeup. :)

I am also obsessed with fuchsia and Leighton’s colour. I’m totally saving this for the next time I visit the salon for a new hair colour. :)

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:34 pm

Ooooh so on trend you are! (re: bronzer, orange lips, brows, no eye makeup)
Loving it!

Lesa
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 3:56 pm

I just read about Line N Grow, same idea as the Physician’s Formula one but already out and co-created by Laura LaRocca formerly of DuWop! http://nyti.ms/fVo6vC

Oh and you should really consider breaking your rule re: traveling east of Yonge to check out Tips!

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:41 pm

Great article, thanks. Wonder if that will come to Canada. And also a teeny bit concerned with the doctor saying this OTC stuff is essentially pretty similar to Latisse but without the same FDA scrutiny. Does that mean you *still* risk permanent eye colour changes? Because after that lunch I SO thought the Physicians one was the answer for me! Hmmm.

Lash Dip sounds cool too, and a big improvement over extensions. (I’ve never been down with those as I hear it causes breakage… and my lashes are wimpy enough without that problem.)

PS – Trying to make it to Tips this month! Desperate for that mani y’all have been wearing.

Ashley
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 4:17 pm

Line N Grow has made it to Canada out west here. Its in London Drugs. I would think you guys would get it sometime soon. Its not suppose to be super strong but it doesnt seem to have anything written about it or how it works on it which makes me lerry

kristie
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 6:54 pm

I definitely see the glitter trend popping up on a lot of cosmetics releases recently. The neon orange lipstick is certainly out of my comfort zone. I think for 2011, we’ll see more fuchsia, corals, and maybe pastels. I’ve just stumbled onto your blog and am loving every article.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:44 pm

Welcome Kristie!
Re: orange… it’s out of my comfort zone too! But I like it when it’s more of a toned down coral (I blend with pink lipstick). You could try that maybe?

Mallory
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 8:35 pm

I definitely want to try out the half moon manicure next time I get my nails done. Orange lipstick has already made its way into my make up(i love MAC morange ) I was very scared of it until I actually wore it and realized its not to different from wearing a bold lip in a different colour.

Makeup Morsels
Tuesday, January 4/2011 at 9:46 pm

I lovee orange lips! The funny thing is, I’ve had round/oval nails for the longest time, and I’m just now switching them to squoval b/c they started bending when they got too long (and that is painful!)

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:46 pm

Squoval is apparently the best shape for your nails, health-wise, actually! (I did a story on this a while back.) I don’t think it will ever actually be *out* of style… but def seeing more rounded/pointy on celebs & models lately…

Ashley
Wednesday, January 5/2011 at 2:52 am

OMGorange! lol a new twist on OMGred.
still rockin the orange and lovin it. I am doing a darker coral right now but i bought this orange i am in love with that i think will be on heavy rotation for spring. I think all i want with it is lashes so i see how those could go hand in hand.
About nails: Glitter is wonderful! providing you have a ton of good top coat Setche Vite seem to be the best because then it doesnt feel gritty (i think thats how you spell it :S )
The half moon Iv actually done by taking some curved french mani strips and moving them down, painting underneath. looks seriously cool but time consuming.
Pointed nails will not last, those of us whose nails grow square look silly being forced into another shape, like the super rounded.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:50 pm

Ha! Told you I was adopting the OMG prefix!

What brand/shade is your new orange?

And yes great point about the gritty feeling with glitter polish – that can be very annoying. I don’t think I have the patience for the DIY half-moon mani but yes, French mani strips would def work (I think I have some of those kicking around from, well, 10 years ago when French manis were supposedly in style). Getting my half-moon mani at Tips very soon so stay tuned for that post – hopefully they’ll have more tips! (They are called Tips after all.)

Re: pointy nails – yeah, not a trend for the masses… but I do have an editor friend who rocks them. Looks good if not a bit victim-y.

Ashley
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 4:34 pm

LOL I didnt think you were serious! but you use it with such style. lol
The new orange is a new revlon cream that just came out called siren. its like more a tangarine which looks better on my fair skin. The one for right now is a dark coral rimmel london kiss and stay in heat. might be a discontinued shade now. I actually really like the formula on these the base color doesnt give those dry crinkle lips like the maybeline super stay.

Like I say I think I maybe did the half moon mani once and you really need longer nails for it. Everybody seems to still halve some of those nasty strips kicking around! I also know someone with pointy nails but it just seems like they grow that way!

Lindsay
Wednesday, January 5/2011 at 12:01 pm

Totes in agreements about fuchsia lips. And pretty much everything else on this page, except the pointy nails. I really hope that doesn’t catch on in regular people fashion.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:52 pm

Haha!! Unfortunately for the haters I’ve already spotted them in real life. Oh and Fergie wears them – although is she a nail icon? I need to check what Rihanna’s doing these days…

Jenny
Wednesday, January 5/2011 at 3:15 pm

Love those fushia lips!! I feel like I would never be able to pull them off. I would be so paranoid that everyone is staring at my lips! But this article definitely reminds me of Natalie Portman in the Elle Canada January cover. I loved her on that cover! It was so refreshing and perfect for spring! Natalie is just so GORG! OH. I also love the bright lips I see on the models in the J.Crew catalogs!

Monday, January 10/2011 at 5:54 pm

You could try a lip stain maybe instead of full-blown lipstick? Joe Fresh makes some good (and really cheap) ones… the lighter colours aren’t really that dark at all. Just a thought if you wanted to ease into this trend… :-)

kymaro
Wednesday, January 19/2011 at 12:13 pm

Great post exploring some 2011 trends. I think a number of people are expecting bright eyeshadow colors to be big this year.

Gimped
Thursday, March 10/2011 at 6:18 pm

Hey Michelle

I’m loving the Fuchsia lip trend! I’ve been on the hunt for the Joe Fresh shade you’ve been raving about but I can’t find it anywhere :( BUT I found this one by Rimmel called Funtime Fuchsia. Need an opinion: http://twitpic.com/489gug Too much?

I’m trying to find something like on the DVF model above and in this (I think you said it was a MAC Pro Chromagraphic Pencil in Process Magenta … which I also can’t find), but I missed a bit with this Rimmel one I think. Maybe I should just try mattifying it — these pics are taken sans blotting.

Julie
Tuesday, April 26/2011 at 4:41 am

The half moon manicure is fairly easy when using stickers as guides =) And is completely adorable, fun, and sexy!!

I have a nail blog and just posted about my retro brown and gold half moon manicure, check it out here;

I get my stickers from Wal Mart using the three ring binder stickers after applying a base coat that I want to appear as the bottom color =)

Sunday, May 1/2011 at 4:12 pm

Oh wow – you did such an amazing job, I love it! And yes, when I had my moon mani done recently my manicurist recommended binder stickers too! Great tip.