2011 People's Choice Awards At the 2011 People’s Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people… to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Selena Gomez Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

I don’t know if the celebs are all still suffering from a holiday hangover or what, but I have to say: beauty-wise, the People’s Choice Awards last night left me decidedly underwhelmed.

With Diane Kruger’s cool waves and Ginnifer Goodwin’s adorbz pixie cut and even Taylor Swift’s cherry lips (before I got bored of them… you’ll see she’s wearing the SAME LOOK this year), the 2010 awards seemed so much more exciting.

We can only hope they’re saving their A game for the Oscars.

As usual, I’ve broken things down into the good… the boring… and the just plain WRONG.

THE GOOD…

SELENA GOMEZ

Selena Gomez Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 Look 2 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

I adore everything about her Look #1 (at the top of this post): the sideswept hair, the lashes, the hint of silver on the eyelids and the way the pink blush and lipstick look on her golden skin. Look #2, above (she changed), is less incredible but still decent.

ANNALYNNE MCCORD

AnnaLynne McCord Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Someone is becoming quite the red carpet poseur! But I’ll give credit where credit is due: she looks good. (Although I’d probably prefer a side part for the hair.) There’s a reason why she made it into my best makeup looks of 2010: this tone-on-tone, nude lip thing really works for her.

KRISTEN STEWART

Kristen Stewart Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Not much to say except that I like this hair colour on her.

MINKA KELLY

Minka Kelly Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

I think Minka Kelly is sooooo pretty, if not a bit too boobalicious here. Love this loose updo (watch this vid for an easy DIY cheat) and the peachy makeup.

MALIN AKERMAN

Malin Akerman Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

I wasn’t sure if I should classify this as “good” or “boring,” but ultimately the former won out. I like the hair and the eye makeup… all soft but it works. Do you agree?

THE BORING

TAYLOR SWIFT

Taylor Swift Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

After my rant about beauty ruts, you knew T-Swizzle would be in this section! Ah well.. she still looks really pretty. She has great skin, no?

EMMA ROBERTS

Emma Roberts Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Well, it’s an improvement over that copper eyeshadow Gothic disaster at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards. But I find myself longing for Emma to wear a bright lipstick. Wouldn’t that be nice? This is sort of blah.

KATY PERRY

Katy Perry Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is your schtick, Katy, we get it. But it’s covering up all your prettiness and you know what? You looked so much cuter when you rocked the straight, shoulder-length hair with bangs (and didn’t wear this Crazy Town pink Barbie lipstick all the time). Time to change things up, please.

JENNIFER ANISTON

Jennifer Aniston Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

No surprise—does the Aniston EVER take risks on the red carpet? Particularly boring here though, I must say.

KIM KARDASHIAN

Kim Kardashian Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

So I see Kim is still applying her makeup with a trowel. Shocka!

NATALIE PORTMAN

Natalie Portman Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Forgiven because she’s knocked up. (And she didn’t walk the red carpet, hence the low-quality in-show pic.)

JUST… WRONG.

ASHLEY TISDALE

Ashley Tisdale Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

Someone didn’t get the message that it’s 2011 now—not 2001. Obviously fake tans and shimmer *everywhere* (as you know if you read this) is incredibly dated-looking.

Also: is it just me or does Ash look EXACTLY like a young Donna Karan? (Not really a compliment. Sorry Donna.)

KHLOÉ KARDASHIAN

Khloe Kardashian Peoples Choice Awards Jan 2011 At the 2011 Peoples Choice Awards, I saw a lotta people who need people... to do their hair and makeup (except for Selena Gomez)

I can’t believe I’m covering two Kardashians in one post. Moving on… I’m sure you will agree that this hair colour is not a good look for Khloé. Do not like. And you know what? I actually think Khloé is quite pretty, although I never used to until I got sucked into a Keeping Up with the Kardashians TV marathon (!!) over the holidays. She looked really great when she wore her hair dark, straight, with bangs and LOTS of eyeliner.

Honestly, I never quite understand it when people who have naturally gorgeous, dark shiny hair want to dye it red. WHY???

Anyway, tell me—

Did you watch the People’s Choice Awards?
Were you impressed or bored with the celebrity beauty parade?
Keeping Up with the Kardashians is surprisingly (and embarrassingly) entertaining, isn’t it?

Eriika Von G
Thursday, January 6/2011 at 4:09 pm

I’m going to try and limit myself to three (okay, maybe four comments) because, let’s face it, a lot of comments could be made on some of these pictures.

If big hair (a la pics 2 and 3) is back in fashion, this poor girl is going to look like the ugly step-sister with limp hair. Oh the joys of being Scandinavian!

Katy Perry has been taking makeup tips from Kim Kardashian. She should stop. Now.

Is it just me or do you not find it frightening the contrast of Kim’s spackling job to the colour in her part? I find myself oddly mesmerized by the distinct line of foundation at the hair line and her scalp’s skin tone. Really! I can’t stop looking at it!

Clearly I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but at least I don’t look like I have applied my makeup with a trowel.

Charlotte
Friday, January 7/2011 at 1:01 am

Baaaaahahahahahahaha. Now I can’t look away from the spackle-job hairline either! Why do beautiful women insist on making themselves look like men dressed as women? For the love of god, WHY?

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:30 pm

So true re: men in drag. I think the more “work” these celebs have done – esp. chin/cheek tinkering – the more they look like men. (And with men, it’s the opposite – the more they do to their faces, the more feminine they look.) Clearly it’s payback for messing with things that shouldn’t be messed with!

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:28 pm

Oh Jesus! Thank you for alerting us to Kim’s part. Is she wearing a mask???

I need to do a Kim Kardashian post soon, I think. Was googling how much plastic surgery she’s had (because the more I watch her show, the more I realize how DIFFERENT she looks from her sisters). It’s pretty wild to see her transformation.

Keep Calm Style On
Thursday, January 6/2011 at 5:50 pm

I think both Katy Perry and Kim Kardashian look like total drag queens. Fake eyelash overload!

I really like the idea behind Annalynne’s look but she looks like a lion generally and it’s terrifying.

My fav look is Kristen Stewart though she is afraid of smiling and I’m not sure her makeup would work on everyone.

PS. your posts always make me laugh. Thank you!

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:31 pm

Oh yes I can see the lion in AnnaLynne. AnnaLion. She is Aslan!

Jess
Thursday, January 6/2011 at 8:20 pm

I actually think Khloe looks really good with the red hair. I saw a shot of her between Kourt and Kim and it makes her stand out and good on her for trying something different!

Minka looks like Leighton Meester in that shot, overall I totes agree with your post!

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:32 pm

You know what – a couple of days after I wrote this I saw more Khloe pics and she did look better than in this one. So I guess it’s okaaaay. Still prefer her as a brunette though.

t
Friday, January 7/2011 at 1:07 pm

Selena is a very pretty girl but she looks like she’s got waaay too much on her face. I’d rather she go a bit more bare like our girl KStew. Ashley Tisdale should be ashamed of her pics. They make her look old and she is so young! Really love Minka’s make-up and hair, but her dress was a total let down. Too much boobage indeed!

Kat
Friday, January 7/2011 at 4:43 pm

It’s a bad day to be a Katy… (yes, and we spell it the same, too!) It it me, or do her overwhelming fake lashes extend waaay too much outside her eye? It makes it droopy, why would a pretty girl like her want to rock the Nicole Richie eye?!?

Kat
Friday, January 7/2011 at 4:53 pm

Is it me*

Oh, and you’re so sadly right about Ashley! She has the same mouth/chin/cheeks as Donna, luckily for her the comparison stops there! I wouldn’t mind looking like DK if it’d mean I could get my hands on her gorgeous clothing though! *die hard Donna fan here!*

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:50 pm

Yeah the lashes look like they’re so heavy, they’re dragging her eyes down at the sides! Someone needs a makeunder.

Gimped
Friday, January 7/2011 at 5:49 pm

I couldn’t find one real ‘showstopping’ moment at the People’s Choice Awards. Mind you, Queen Latifah did rock her looks really well. Other comments

T-Swizzle: REALLY needs to find a new hairstylist. I am beyond bored of her red carpet look. It NEVER changes.

Emma: Her eyebrows need some shaping. I know full brows are the in thing right now, but you can still do a full brow with a nice arch. Her face looks dead to me. She almost looks like she’s full of botox … or stoned.

Kim: LOVE your comments. Lol!! And why does she insist on going super overboard with the mascara/falsies on the lower lashes? She looks horrible!!

And I totally hear you on the Kardashian marathon. I, too, got hooked!! I wasn’t surprised when the show won Best Guilty Pleasure.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:53 pm

Maybe Emma IS stoned! She def doesn’t have that elusive sparkle that we expect from our celebs. (Although I don’t mind her brows so much… kind of liking that unkempt look lately. Even Kate Middleton’s are a bit messy)

I hate to admit how many episodes I’ve now seen of various Kardashian-related TV shows. I had to laugh at the commercial the other night about Khloe and Kourtney Take Miami “season two”. HOW can there be a season two for this shiz? Hilarious.

Kristie
Saturday, January 8/2011 at 1:21 am

if I could get over Kristen Stewart’s permanent grimace-y face I might think she looked nice, but no.

Ashley Tisdale …..maybe she takes an hour or so to familiarize herself with skin color.

Katy Perry’s eyelashes look like they weren’t cut down enough ( if at all? maybe the MUA didn’t have time?) or that is her natural lash line, in which case I would personally still trim them shorter so the eyelash flair wasn’t coming out so far/down.
when I look at that picture I just put my 2 index fingers over the lash overhang and I feel better HAHA! ;)

I guess those are the only big gripes I have….women/girls with beautiful naked skin need to stop plastering it with foundations/concealers …ehm… Katy, Kim, Khloé.
I know with dramatic make-up there is this ideal of having a “clean canvas” but seriously, I dont think any of them need full coverage foundation to achieve this.

Monday, January 10/2011 at 6:58 pm

I didn’t point out K-Stew’s non-smiling here because this pic isn’t from the red carpet – it’s just her sitting in the audience (and I’m not sure I’d have a perma-smile on either). But yeah… the girl *never* looks happy.

Just made the same observation above, before I saw your comment, re: Katy’s lashes! And re: heavy foundations – this is why I LOVE Kate Bosworth’s look. She always looks so fresh.

Beauty Booty 411
Wednesday, January 12/2011 at 9:28 am

I love Taylor Swift, but indeed, her red carpet looks needs a makeover. She needs to try something different once in a while. Katy Perry….just fabulous!

Kelly
Sunday, October 2/2011 at 5:28 pm

Selena looks good in her quest to morph into Cheryl Cole (and props to her for fessing up to it).

I actually rather like Emma Roberts’ look. I think her eye makeup and lip colour really complement each other.

Jennifer Aniston needs to do something to soften those brows – heavier brows make her look a bit, ahem, masculine.